Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012- - Page 90 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #1336
country flag Play_Suspended
Finding a cure for double-faultitis

Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

She'd probably just had enough yesterday with everything that had happened, some of the comments tipped her over the edge and she disabled it in frustration or something.
Advertisement

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1337
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play_Suspended View Post
She'd probably just had enough yesterday with everything that had happened, some of the comments tipped her over the edge and she disabled it in frustration or something.
Yes but I was responding to the mistake part...
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1338
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone hear about this chest infection before? Hope it's not an excuse
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #1339
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
Did anyone hear about this chest infection before? Hope it's not an excuse
No, she is not using to as an excuse http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...n-8500436.html.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1340

Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of

Yeah def not an excuse, here's her post match interview from yesterday:

http://www.laura-robson.net/intervie...to-putintseva/

She actually tries to play it down..."I can see you guys trying to make this into something, and I really don’t want to go there."
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #1341
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

What i loved about the interview was this:
Q. Will you analyze it, or will you just try and forget it as quickly as possible?
LAURA ROBSON: I’ll analyze it. I analyze all my matches. You have to try and learn as much as you can from one of them, even though some of them can be really bad. You just have to learn from them and work a bit harder.

Q. Will you be looking forward to some time at home now?
LAURA ROBSON: Honestly, I just want to keep practicing no matter where it is and start finding my timing a bit better.

I'm so pleased with her attitude to improving her game. Her mentality has completely changed, she used to brush these losses off and treat it as nothing but she's realised the only way to make it to the top is facing up to reality and actually looking back improving where she went wrong.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1342
country flag guichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play_Suspended View Post
Yeah def not an excuse, here's her post match interview from yesterday:

http://www.laura-robson.net/intervie...to-putintseva/

She actually tries to play it down..."I can see you guys trying to make this into something, and I really don’t want to go there."
Yep last week she was not asked about her coughing, so it didn't come up. She is just answering the question honestly
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLaura View Post

Q. Will you be looking forward to some time at home now?
LAURA ROBSON: Honestly, I just want to keep practicing no matter where it is and start finding my timing a bit better.

Yeah I liked that bit too, just got a sense she's really frustrated with where she's at and is determined to put in the work to get it all sorted. Encouraging.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1344
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe. View Post
I love Nicki!
So do I She's my guilty pleasure

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #1345
country flag Evans.

Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all Evans. is a name known to all
Another dreadful loss. Meh.

Hopefully she pulls it together for IW. Her form this year is just not cutting it.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Evans. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1346
country flag Lloy4dAustin

Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light Lloy4dAustin is a glorious beacon of light

it seems she always in bad form in spring hc season,i am kinda looking forward her clay season,lol
================================================== ================================================== ================
Lloy4dAustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 01:27 PM   #1347
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

As much as I enjoy watching Laura play, I fear that she is going to have to go down the rankings a fair way while she adapts her game to allow her to move back up. Laura hits the ball hard and goes for winners from all over the court but the response to an opponent getting the ball back is to try and hit it harder, again & again. Eventually the hard hitting becomes an error. As things stand, Laura can be beaten by just getting the ball back in play and moving her from side to side. On a good day she can almost blast them off court, but the percentages are always against her, so she has as much chance of losing to someone ranked 50 places below her as she has of beating a top 20 player.

Match after match we see 15 or so winners and high 40's of unforced errors (49 in Dubai) in a 3 set match. Long hours of practice of her current style is not going to get her into the top 20. It is inconceivable that she could turn it round and suddenly be hitting 50 winners against 15 losers, especially against the top players; no-one is that good, not even Serena Williams. The only way to improve is to cut right back on the big shots, especially early in the point, and wait until you have a higher percentage chance of making the winner. This obviously means that you have stay in the rally longer to win points, so you need more variety of shot to mix it up and make it harder for your opponent. From whatever practice sessions Laura & coach are trying, there is little evidence that she is developing a slice or controlled top spin forehand that will take the pressure off the need to hit fabulous winners from the back of the court.

If Laura does develop more 'defensive' shots, then moving them from practice to matches where your opponent does not obligingly keep lobbing the ball back for you to try again is difficult and the results are likely to deteriorate slightly, even as the performance improves.
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 07:44 PM   #1348
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by allracquetsports View Post
As much as I enjoy watching Laura play, I fear that she is going to have to go down the rankings a fair way while she adapts her game to allow her to move back up. Laura hits the ball hard and goes for winners from all over the court but the response to an opponent getting the ball back is to try and hit it harder, again & again. Eventually the hard hitting becomes an error. As things stand, Laura can be beaten by just getting the ball back in play and moving her from side to side. On a good day she can almost blast them off court, but the percentages are always against her, so she has as much chance of losing to someone ranked 50 places below her as she has of beating a top 20 player.

Match after match we see 15 or so winners and high 40's of unforced errors (49 in Dubai) in a 3 set match. Long hours of practice of her current style is not going to get her into the top 20. It is inconceivable that she could turn it round and suddenly be hitting 50 winners against 15 losers, especially against the top players; no-one is that good, not even Serena Williams. The only way to improve is to cut right back on the big shots, especially early in the point, and wait until you have a higher percentage chance of making the winner. This obviously means that you have stay in the rally longer to win points, so you need more variety of shot to mix it up and make it harder for your opponent. From whatever practice sessions Laura & coach are trying, there is little evidence that she is developing a slice or controlled top spin forehand that will take the pressure off the need to hit fabulous winners from the back of the court.

If Laura does develop more 'defensive' shots, then moving them from practice to matches where your opponent does not obligingly keep lobbing the ball back for you to try again is difficult and the results are likely to deteriorate slightly, even as the performance improves.
I disagree with you about whether time in practice will be very helpful. Laura's big problem, in Dubai at least was that if she so much as moved before hitting a forehand it would be uncontrolled. It's not that she's going for too much with it, more that she's not in a good enough position and therefore hits it badly. That is something that can be worked on by Krajan by hitting with her. At least she's still got a reliable backhand which she can hit winners off.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #1349
country flag allracquetsports

allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice allracquetsports is just really nice

I don't doubt the value of practice in improving shot making - the appearance from all tournaments in 2013 is that the practice is not improving Laura's game. Apart from physical condition, there are 2 main areas to improve on court. One is how well you play the shot, which may need work if technical errors have crept in, such as lack of weight transference during the stroke preparation and forward swing. The second is simply, is it the right shot to play?

From the matches played over the last 2 months, my point is that there does not appear to be enough variety in Laura's play to suggest that much attention is being paid to shot selection, rather than shot execution.

Putintseva played at least 5 drop shots from right at the back of the court and every one was a clean winner. It was not a case of Laura not being quick enough to run to the net, it was as if she was in training mode and the 2 of them were simply trading drives to the baseline. As soon as Putintseva changed the routine with a drop or slice to keep the ball low, Laura was caught out and unable to react.

The inference from Laura's interviews is that she recognises the mistakes she makes and is working hard in practice to eliminate them. The ability to consistently hit bread & butter shots is a requirement to being a top player, so practising and honing basic shot making is fundamental rather than progressive. In order to play the longer rallies necessary to win points against top players, Laura will need to mix up her shots to disturb her opponents rhythm in the same way that they do to her.

Maybe they are also working on improving her range of shots and it is too soon to introduce them into competitive matches, but if not then Laura will find it hard to consistently win top matches in 4 - 6 shot rallies. The average in the match she won against Kvitova was around 2 shots per point.
allracquetsports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #1350
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason i think Laura's footwork was somewhat better at the end of last year as of what we're seeing now.

Just look at this video from the Guangzhou F, she was running to a lot of balls and her timing and accuracy was amazing. She's lost that from what we've seen in AO, Doha and Dubai. She was rallying a lot in this match and from what i've seen so far, she's struggling to stay in rallies. I'm not sure what Krajan was trying to work on with her during the off-season, because it doesn't seem to be working.