Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012- - Page 127 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #1891
country flag Tampering

Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

I hope that being at Wimbledon that it really irritates Laura that everyone is out there competing and her contemporaries passed her even last year and now truly lapped her while she's been injured.

Think it should be good motivation.
Tampering is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #1892
country flag *hingis_forever*

*hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampering View Post
I hope that being at Wimbledon that it really irritates Laura that everyone is out there competing and her contemporaries passed her even last year and now truly lapped her while she's been injured.

Think it should be good motivation.
At the very least it should be an incentive for her to get fit, healed up, and motivated to compete again. Fortunately even with her being out most of the year, really only Bouchard and Muguruza have clearly overtaken her out of all her contemporaries.

*hingis_forever* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #1893
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

She's uploaded an Instagram video of her first wrist rehab appointment. She's very gently and tentatively moving her fingers and making a fist. It looks like it might be a long process. She definitely won't be hitting any time soon.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #1894
country flag Gruftgesänge

Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson. View Post
She's uploaded an Instagram video of her first wrist rehab appointment. She's very gently and tentatively moving her fingers and making a fist. It looks like it might be a long process. She definitely won't be hitting any time soon.
She's recommenced doing gym work as well, though for obvious reasons, she can only do leg exercises at the moment - nothing involving the arms.

In the article that Rob posted on the 'other thread' (Protected ranking) Dr Berger discloses that Laura had surgery for a tear of the lunotriquetral ligament. For those interested in what that tongue-twisting medical term means an article here sheds some light on the condition.

Even if Laura's recovery continues to proceed 'slowly but surely' it's unlikely that she'll be hitting tennis balls for a couple more months.

People tend to think of Laura as a poor athlete with a lazy mentality but a recent interview with her presents a very different picture. She says that she has excelled since her school days at distance running (800 metres and longer) and has always been intensely competitive. Her 'problem' is that this physical gift isn't necessarily best applicable on the tennis court though it demonstrates that she has a high degree of stamina. She's been concentrating this year with her fitness coach Mark Wellington on improving her track performances at the shorter, more 'explosive' distances (100m - 400m). The interview is well worth reading: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ning-interview

Incidentally, Wellington mentioned in a tweet earlier this year that Laura had hit a "new level" in her performances so the work is evidently paying off. It's also currently more convenient for her to go sprinting while wearing a cast... than it is to use a rowing machine.

Last edited by Gruftgesänge : Jun 9th, 2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Gruftgesänge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #1895
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

So it looks like Laura has bought a cat....

Are cats pets that tennis players have and take around the world with them? I don't think so. Unless I'm mistaken, she lives alone in a flat in London. Her parents have moved to Greece (and have taken the dogs with them) so unless she has some very nice and dedicated neighbours/friends, who is going to look after this cat when she's back on tour.... when she's back on tour

... for some reason.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #1896
country flag Ollie.

Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute

Miss her so much. She really is such a great ball-striker...get better soon! Can't wait to hear her commentating at Wimbledon.

Rybarikova _ Hradecka _ K.Bondarenko _ Kleybanova _ Flipkens _ Govortsova _ Krajicek _ Martic _ Cetkovska _ Rezai _ Peer _ Begu _ Dulgheru _ Arvidsson _ Larsson _ Goerges _ Mattek-Sands _ Scheepers _ Peng _ Minella _ Puchkova _ Voegele _ Laine
Ollie. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #1897
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Laura Robson, speaking on @bbc5live earlier, says she'll miss the US Open but hopes to start playing mini tennis with sponge balls in August https://twitter.com/russellcfuller/s...12843914133505
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #1898
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of expected given the cast she's still wearing, but still sad. A completely lost year. Makes you wonder how things would've turned out if she had been more careful last fall/early this year...

I hope she'll at least be fully healthy for the Aussie Open next year.
KatjaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #1899
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatjaS View Post
Sort of expected given the cast she's still wearing, but still sad. A completely lost year. Makes you wonder how things would've turned out if she had been more careful last fall/early this year...

I hope she'll at least be fully healthy for the Aussie Open next year.
Yup by this interview http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...s-9537731.html I have the feeling she hoped to avoid the surgery.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #1900
country flag LeatherRatson

LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future

She also said she aims to play some matches at the end of the year, in small tournaments. Presumably she means ITF. I think this is a good goal. She needs to get some match practice this year so she knows what to be doing during the off season.
LeatherRatson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #1901
country flag Tampering

Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute

The timeline of her injury saga and the Mayo article on the specific injury she had would suggest she was misdiagnosed until the time of IW/Miami. She then tried a 6 week course of conservative treatment before surgery in May. If only she'd gone to DelPo's doctor when she first felt something.

Playing some ITFs on her diminished ranking/WCs to get back into matchplay and saving her SR for the new season seems sensible. Hope her rehab goes as planned.
Tampering is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #1902
country flag Dawson.

It'll be so odd to see her play ITFs again. Her ranking after the US Open will be around #280 (based on this week's rankings) so won't be enough for those stacked European October/November ITFs without an SR, WC or going through qualies. It'll be interesting to see hwo she works it.

... for some reason.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #1903
country flag fed_up

fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampering View Post
The timeline of her injury saga and the Mayo article on the specific injury she had would suggest she was misdiagnosed until the time of IW/Miami. She then tried a 6 week course of conservative treatment before surgery in May. If only she'd gone to DelPo's doctor when she first felt something.

Playing some ITFs on her diminished ranking/WCs to get back into matchplay and saving her SR for the new season seems sensible. Hope her rehab goes as planned.
Some doctors...
fed_up is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #1904
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
It'll be so odd to see her play ITFs again. Her ranking after the US Open will be around #280 (based on this week's rankings) so won't be enough for those stacked European October/November ITFs without an SR, WC or going through qualies. It'll be interesting to see hwo she works it.
I wonder if she will really be fit to play in September before her ranking plummets towards 4 figures (or is that soars?).

Interesting for us geeks to see what she does, but she has lots of options. The LTA's astonishing decision to schedule a slate of ITFs in 2014 with only 4 10Ks (or whatever it was) just as the top ranks of British women's tennis were decimated may have a silver lining(*), as Laura will be able to max out her ITF wild cards.

But I don't think she should be afraid of going through qualies elsewhere, or using up some of her SRs if necessary.

(*) I wanted to get this dig in, but then I couldn't stop myself checking the actual schedule: http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-eve...ies/Calendar1/. Barnstaple and Shrewsbury have been downgraded and moved forward in the year by a few weeks, so the British ITFs appear to offer slim pickings.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #1905
country flag guichard

Quote:
Yup long road ahead...