Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Return Winner: The Laura Robson support thread.

Tags
#sluts gif
465K views 5K replies 158 participants last post by  miffedmax 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the old thread has gone over the 5,000 post limit, I figure that it needs to be replaced by a shiny new one. So here it is.

Achievements Pre-injury:
  • Olympic mixed doubles silver medal (w/ Andy Murray)
  • Singles semi final - Palermo 2012
  • Grand Slam 4th round - US Open 2012, Wimbledon 2013
  • Defeated Kim Clijsters in her final singles match
  • Singles Final - Guangzhou 2012
  • WTA Newcomer of the year 2012

Achievements - Post Comeback:
  • Singles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville
  • Doubles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville (W/ Freya Christie)
  • Qualifier US Open 2016

#3,857 ·
You think Broady wouldn't dare creating drama with Laura, with the British media focusing on this match. Bad press can be damaging sometimes.

#3,859 ·
I'm a little worried by the hype Laura Q-ing has creating, I can see this setting her up for a big fall, as flawed as Naomi is, she's a fair step up from anything Laura has faced on her streak.

I pray that I am proven wrong and Laura wipes the floor with Naomi. I love all the British girls but Laura is bae.

#3,860 ·
I don't think there's any major hype really. Just encouraging news of her sudden improvement in results. Laura will be going into that match as an underdog, she knows she has to prove herself and she won't take Naomi lightly. Laura is way past letting any hype get to her head at this stage in her career, she has a completely different mindset when approaching matches now. The fact Naomi is a fellow Brit ranked higher than her, will make give her want this win even more.

#3,861 ·
US Open 2016: Laura Robson is back in business after long-term injury

"Laura Robson's recent holiday in Italy lasted all of six hours. She found time to visit Mount Vesuvius and the ancient Roman city of Pompeii, she took her friends to the villa they had hired... and then she received an email from her agent with news of a wildcard into the US Open qualifying draw, and promptly headed back to the airport."

:lol:

#3,863 ·
I am more interested in what this Italy vacation is about, ahem Laura off season is not here yet :lol:

#3,866 ·
Eisenbud too busy with Maria appeal , the results are coming back any moment now :tape:

#3,876 ·
Broady's celebration was just how I predicted, the huge scream at the end. Laura basically gave you that game and match at 5-4. You didn't do anything special :hysteric:

Anyway. A lot of positive things to take from this run here.

#3,878 ·
it's official... Broady is the first British player I dislike... what unsporting bitch... first, complaining about the ball toss at 4-3 second set. She made sure Laura hear it... so at 5-3 Laura rushed her serve and lost the set... Second, 4-4 3rd set... Broady held all the balls to buy time... she literally holding all the balls... then third, the drinking in between points... is she really like that?

#3,879 ·
She's trash. I've never liked her, she's used gamesmanship plenty of times. I really don't know how she has fans. If people are supporting her just because she's British, it's pretty sad.

Aga should deal with her nicely in the next round though.

#3,881 ·
I think, it is a big sucess, that Laura was in the main daw. It was a big step in the right direction. And she plays a lot like more before the injury.

But there is still a lot of improvement and this was a good example today. First of all her return game is not very well. She is reading the services not very well and so the opponent has a advantage here. Of Course Broady has a good serve, so that this weaknesses had a bigger factor today. And if you have break points against a good service player, you need to take your chance. Her break point/break percentage was very bad today. This was not the first day.

And of course you have to get a poononet like Broady in longer baseline battles. So you have to be okay in your defense game and she is still not okay. She is still bad.

And she is to nice. Broady was in bitch mode today. She complained to the ref, she was drinking during service games. I never saw that. And Laura is standing like a young girl. Laura you has nothing to lose. You can complain, you can be angry.

And the ref was influenced by Broady. A lot of overturns from the ref all at Laura. There were a lot of very close services from Broady. N o overturn everything was good. Strange game........To nice to win, would my last statement.

so Laura keep it up. You can play fantastic tennis, believe in you.

Who knows, what is the next tournament? Any idea? news?

#3,882 ·
Who knows, what is the next tournament? Any idea? news?
She's still on the $50K Atlanta entry list and the $25K Lubbock list. They're both in the same week (12-18 September), so she needs to decide which one she's playing. I'm hoping more for Atlanta now as she needs to start earning some higher points, 25Ks can only take you so far.

$75K Albuquerque entry list still hasn't been released yet. Hoping she's on there too.

EDIT - She actually is no longer on Lubbock's entry list. Only Atlanta, so she's decided she'll play there next and she's in the main draw.

#3,883 ·
Have never seen a unkind British fellow like Broady

#3,884 ·
Broady is really unlikeable, unpleasant. Laura had a nice run of matches and to qualify she did pretty well. This was a big step. She will be back , moving on awards and thinks about the positives.

#3,885 ·
I mean I like Naomi but she really is distasteful sometimes :(

I posted in the match thread about it as well, but yeah. She came close and encouraging signs still. The fact she qualified and played a great 1st set today is nice. :) Onwards and upwards. I just PRAY that she keeps this confidence and form up and doesn't slump again because of this tough loss...

We believe in you Laura :cheer: proud of you.

#3,887 ·
I mean I like Naomi but she really is distasteful sometimes :(

I posted in the match thread about it as well, but yeah. She came close and encouraging signs still. The fact she qualified and played a great 1st set today is nice. :) Onwards and upwards. I just PRAY that she keeps this confidence and form up and doesn't slump again because of this tough loss...

We believe in you Laura :cheer: proud of you.
I don't think she will. Laura must surely know that winning 3 qualifying matches against decent players and losing in a fairly tight 3-sstter against a tricky player ranked 150 places above her is quite an achievement and represents a huge leap in form from just a few weeks ago. I think she will take a lot of confidence from this and build on it over the coming months.

#3,889 ·
Getting back into the Top 200 should be the goal for the end of season.

Get the ranking in the Top 160s/150. And set herself up for the Australian Open 2017. If she remains healthy and keeps the motivation going, there's no doubt she'll be back in Top 100 by this time next year.

Hopefully rankings will look a lot different then too, with certain others fading back to obscurity.

#3,892 ·
It was not even that bad in the match though. So I don't see how Broady had "every reason to be exasperated". She just likes to moan and bitch, she's a pro at it. 4-3 was an important game and she made a big fuss and spoke to the umpire and Laura ended up rushing her service game and giving her the break for 5-3. It really threw Laura off and she didn't recover from that.

She knows her battles. She wouldn't dare open her mouth if it was Venus, who has an issue with aborted ball tosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.