Players calling time this year - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 7th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #16
country flag HOS

HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of HOS has much to be proud of
Re: Players calling time this year

Myabe some of the 1982 babies, the esp's MJMS (singles this year outta control, could make a career in dubs, AMG- again, could keep playing dubs, APS, started playing challenges to get singles better (fail) could keep playing dubs too i guess, Llagostera? Still successful I guess....Italoians, Flavia (could ddefo keep playing dubs) MEC ( love her but she should retiRE) i'D SAY dULKO (married, singles crap, like all the others mentioned, could get a few more years of dubs but can she be fuc.ked?
Foretz (great year until last few events, Beltrame
YEah I read about Baltacha......
CLijstres
Tanasurgan and Date maybe...
Arn...
Who knows though, players like marois come and go and then keep coming back....
Raymond maybe...treckon Huber will drop her no matter what and tru to form pold Liezel will blame her for not getting a gold medal (or any medal) ...

Has Paola already retired again, no Dulko-Suarez this week in Canada?
Other old-er players, Peschke, Arn??
HOS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 7th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #17
country flag macginity

macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold macginity is a splendid one to behold

Pennetta already said that she will play next year and then she'll think about what to do.

"and eternity my friend is a long fucking time"
macginity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #18
country flag Cage

Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute Cage has a reputation beyond repute

Jankovic please retire

Vladimira Uhlirova
Cage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #19
country flag lenas warriors

lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute

Have updated the first page to account for your info

I thought a lot of players suggested it was Olympics then bust this year but maybe the have had change if hearts
lenas warriors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #20
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why Foretz would retire. She's had a few bad losses on the ITF circuit but she's still about 100 places higher than she was this time last year. And she fact she's willing to travel to far-flung places suggests she's still motivated.

I think Fransexa said this year is her last on the tour but the last few months have gone pretty well so I hope she changes her mind.

Perhaps Alexandra Stevenson?

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"

Last edited by nevetssllim : Aug 7th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #21
country flag Singleniacki
~*Princess Karolina*~

Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute

Gisela Dulko
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #22
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenpova View Post

Maria has your mind.
Wait... So Vujacic is married and is having an affair with Sharpie, according to her, and he denies it?
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #23
country flag tennisfan5

tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetssllim View Post
I don't see why Foretz would retire. She's had a few bad losses on the ITF circuit but she's still about 100 places higher than she was this time last year. And she fact she's willing to travel to far-flung places suggests she's still motivated.

I think Fransexa said this year is her last on the tour but the last few months have gone pretty well so I hope she changes her mind.

yeah, foretz has played better this year than in a long time. I think Kimiko will keep playing if her body lets--would be nice to see her finally win a round at the Open this year. Stevenson should have retired like 5 years ago
tennisfan5 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #24
country flag crazylace01
sharp as cheddar

crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute crazylace01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetssllim View Post

One can only hope.

we'll be counting s t a r s
benny.segs.toaster.rouster.nacho
crazylace01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #25
country flag Halepsova

Halepsova has disabled reputation

Peschke hasn't retired yet?
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #26
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
Mirjana Lucic should probably hang it up. Giving her well-deserved props, she actually accomplished something remarkable by fighting her way back into the Top 100 after three years totally away from tennis and being essentially broke, starting from scratch. Totally not easy to do. She toiled in ITFs until she was able to squeeze into Slam quallies, and then she indeed started qualifying for Slams and actually winning rounds. This year she even played glorious tennis to beat a top 10 star (Bartoli) in R2 at Wimbledon. Her "comeback" beginning in 2008 has been marked by some amazing stats: she won her first Slam-level match in 7 years, won her first tournament of any kind (ITF or WTA in 12 years), reached her first WTA quarterfinal in 12 years, beat a Top 10 player for the first time in 12 years, she's won 4 or 5 main draw Slam matches in 2 years' time, etc. It has been a happy ending for her, and a MORE than honorable return to world-class competition. Her fitness has been impeccable since 2008, as has her humility and sportsmanship.

But her stated goals were Top 50 (no Alexandra Stevenson, "I'm gonna be Top 5 and win Wimbledon" bullshit) and she has had very "doable" chances to make a run to the Top 50, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for her. She's plateaued in the low 90s the last two years, and with age 32 just six months away, I think she's pretty much done.

She has Top 50 talent, for sure, and on any given day or in any given week she can be very dangerous, but week-in, week-out, she's a #90-95 player. Because she has qualified for so many Slam main draws, etc. she'll pull down around $200,000-$235,000 in prize money this year, but things won't get easier next year, even though she will likely gain direct entry to the Slams again in 2013.

With a happy marriage and a great life ahead of her, it might be time to take pride in the wonderful achievement of returning to world-class WTA status and spare herself the grind.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #27
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Lucic doesn't retire. I'd really like to see her make the next rung.

If she's playing for money (there's not a damn thing wrong with that), I don't see why she'd quit while her ranking is high enough for direct entry into slams. If you have direct entry, that's $$$. Plus with her, you never know-- she could have a good 2 days and make a 3rd rd.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #28
country flag cn ireland

cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future

Lucic should definitely stay for another year or so cos she's had some decent results lately.

Perhaps Craybas & Tanasugarn???

Twitter: @NoelDoyle4
cn ireland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #29
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
Very true ... Even at 31 the big game and talent and fitness are there to hit with anybody.

Her problem is that she can't seem to find her game early in the season (Aussie hard courts, Indian Wells, Miami) and then rouses herself for the clay and grass, does well, and peters-out until the US Open and a few nicer Challenger events afterward (Vegas, Albuquerque, etc.)

If she had won only one MD match in each of the January-April events this year, and performed the same as she did in May-July, she would be in the Top 50 now.

Money is interesting for any of these players in the lower half of the Top 100, especially if they have no support from their national federation programs. After expenses, a player making $250,000 is probably netting just $75,000-$80,000 a year. Not bad, but it ain't a glamorous life.

Lucic might accomplish her Top 50 goal: all it takes for her is one good run (QF) at a Slam. Doable ... On grass, especially. But if it doesn't happen next year, it won't happen.

She could walk away from the game now with her head held high and feel honorable about her efforts during the comeback. If she stinks next year, it won't be quite the same in terms of closure.

I think Date will hang it up this season, too.

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #30
country flag mikireturns

Well, after observing results from the first two days of Open competition, it seems a lot clearer re: who should ~probably~ hang it up.

Frankie Schiavone: Sloane is a sparkling player with a future that is likely Top 20, but it was so apparent that Frannie is DONE. Cooked. Finished. Stick a fork in her. It's disheartening to see such a captivating little fighter just phone it in, but she deserves to move on to life's next bright chapter if anyone does. I would not be surprised if she announced retirement tomorrow.

Szavay: Poor Agnes. So much potential, but you can see her heart and head are clearly not in the game, and it does not appear that she even wants to fight for a proper comeback. Time to face facts and move into the next phase of life. Ironically, her conqueror, Greta Arn, ought to be operating a nice pro-shop somewhere tropical by now, but she was lucky enough to catch Agnes and win a round, so who knows how much longer she'll drag things out?

Date-Krumm: an odd conundrum. I don't think she has to be out there for the money, and she could likely make some lovely spending change for the next 2-3 years just by playing ITFs and WTA quallies in the Eastern Pacific region alone! That's what I think she'll do until her body says, "Cut it out, girl!" or she gets bored. Or both. I give her another year at most.

Jill Craybas: The writing is vivid on the wall; time to get a cushy job at a club and detox from the grind. I can see her workin' drills for old ladies and kids at some place in the Florida Keys. Go, Jill.

Mirjana Lucic: Lucic has shown a few admirable glimpses of "what could have been" since 2010, but at the end of the day, she's just not good enough to get any higher than the 90s. If she finds herself in December with a ranking high enough to gain direct entry in Oz, she should commit herself to one more year only and do what she can. Her pathetic self-destruction against the very tomato-canny Sanchez Martinez last night only proves that she is, at best, an occasionally dangerous journeywoman. If she doesn't have enough of a ranking to get directly into the Oz open MD at year's end, she should totally hang it up because she ain't getting anywhere and the only valuable thing would be to collect 1st round Slam loser $$$ and maybe hope for a surprise win, or two (at best).

Stephanie Foretz Gacon -- Time to open that little patisserie in Provence, honey. Drink wine. Enjoy life. Wait to die.

Nadia Petrova: though she got off to a good start in Queens, she seems so bored with the game for a girl who possesses so much freaking natural talent. Get a farm like Natasha Zvereva did, baby. Get one next to Natasha's. Talk about cows and new recipes for beet soup.