'Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record amid gay marriage debate - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 03:54 AM   #1
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute
'Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record amid gay marriage debate

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/02...nt-chain-says/

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM   #2
country flag delicatecutter

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 'Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record amid gay marriage debate

Kristin Hersh said it best: "so...now homophobes're lashing out by clogging their own arteries? i think i know who's gonna win this fight"

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Doubles Champion (with Djezonfly): 2012 Melbourne, 2011 Estoril
My Twitter
delicatecutter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:44 AM   #3
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Why is this issue such a hot topic all of a sudden? It's been known for years.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM   #4
country flag Archaeo

Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all Archaeo is a name known to all

It's obvious to everyone (especially these people) that opposition to gay marriage is dwindling in the United States. If they think that eating at a fast food restaurant is making some sort of statement, then whatever.

In 30 years, people who denounced gay marriage will be viewed on the same level as people who opposed interracial marriage.
Archaeo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #5
country flag Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute

People on both sides need to get a life and stop messing with others'. If you like the food, eat there. If you don't, then don't. If you don't agree with what the owner said (and I don't) that's fine, but you don't have to go out of your way to try to destroy the company and harm the innocent employees.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM   #6
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Struthers View Post

People on both sides need to get a life and stop messing with others'. If you like the food, eat there. If you don't, then don't.

If you don't agree with what the owner said (and I don't) that's fine, but you don't have to go out of your way to try to destroy the company and harm the innocent employees.
No Sal, there's nothing wrong with boycotts (on whatever issue) and you, as a supporter of a free market, should realize that.

The problem is when politicians (like the Mayors of Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco in this fight) pander for polical support by threatening to block licensing the business in their cities, even if all laws will be adhered to.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM   #7
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future
I know gay people who work there at chick-fil-a, so in a way, I find it ironic that pro-gay rights people are boycotting this place and anti-gay marriage supporters are flooding here.

It's a company's values, it can do whatever with its profits. It doesn't mean that they will discriminate when it comes to employment or serving people.

Of course, such companies like these do not help with the advancement of society.

Sent from my iPod touch using VS Free

GO BEARS!
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

Chick-Fil-Hate CEO's freedom of speech to express his Christianity view on marriage? No problem
Chick-Fil-Hate donating millions of dollars to anti-gay organizations? OH HEO NO!
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #9
country flag NyCPsU

NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute

The CEO has the right to express his view on marriage and spend his money wherever he pleases.
You, as the customer, have the right to not spend your money there based on the CEO's views.

The mayors of those cities DO NOT have the right to ban the company liscenses in their districts based on the expressed views of the CEO.

Most of the people that came out were actually supporting that notion, more so than the notion of being anti gay marriage itself, whether the media would lead you to believe that or not.

*Stephens*Hampton*Riske*Dulgheru*

*Anyone playing Wickmayer*
NyCPsU is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:09 PM   #10
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCPsU View Post
The CEO has the right to express his view on marriage and spend his money wherever he pleases.
You, as the customer, have the right to not spend your money there based on the CEO's views.

The mayors of those cities DO NOT have the right to ban the company liscenses in their districts based on the expressed views of the CEO.

Most of the people that came out were actually supporting that notion, more so than the notion of being anti gay marriage itself, whether the media would lead you to believe that or not.
According to what exactly? The First Amendment does not protect us from the consequences of our speech. It only gives us the right to make that speech. Part of the privilege of being allowed to say whatever stupid shit you want to say is the responsibility of dealing with the repercussions of it.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM   #11
country flag cowsonice

It just doesn't make sense how the mayors of these cities are banning this company's license. There is no concrete proof of discrimination in hiring or serving people, no proof of unhealthy conditions, the usual things in labor and health codes that will merit a licensing ban.

It's just a company's belief system. Gay rights is a hot button issue right now, so the mayors doing so is largely a political move, imo.

GO BEARS!
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:24 PM   #12
country flag NyCPsU

NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute NyCPsU has a reputation beyond repute

^Exactly.

For the record Ive never eaten at a Chic-Filet and I do not support their views. But I do not support their being banned in certain cities especially for what seem to be political motivations.

*Stephens*Hampton*Riske*Dulgheru*

*Anyone playing Wickmayer*
NyCPsU is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #13
country flag The Prophet

The Prophet has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCPsU View Post

Most likely, this is true. I still find it surprising how somebody, without even a hint of irony, can actually say "We're open and tolerant so you're not welcome here..." and be completely oblivious to the contradiction.
The Prophet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #14
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post

In public areas, the first amendment protects citizens from "consequences" of their political beliefs. That is why the KKK is allowed to hold demonstrations on city streets. Granting business licenses is also within the public area. Therefore, a business owner cannot have his business revoked for his political beliefs.
And not have it denied either, which the Mayors in question seem to have accepted. Tom Menino of Boston said like a week ago that he had "only been using the bully pulpit" ala rallying public opinion, not threatening to deny the license. (Not what he originally said, but if it "merely" delayed someone's planned opening for a week, nobody's gonna sue him).

Even NYC's Mike Bloomberg (of bans on Big Gulps and previously trans fats, along with major crackdowns on cigarette smoking in public) told his friend Menino that he'd lose in court on the license question, if the CFA franchisee followed the same laws other fast food places do there.

But I fully accept the right of objectors to organize boycotts of Chick-fil-A locations if they wish, as that's potential customers "voting with their wallets". Next venue in this war: college campuses, where PC campus activists will try to get them denied franchises, or boycott those that are still on a campus.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #15
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

'Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day' Cute.