Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker) RIP - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker) RIP

Entertainers mourn Jean Stapleton: 'A great actress and a wonderful lady'

By Greg Botelho, CNN
updated 6:39 AM EDT, Sun June 2, 2013

NEW: Shatner pays tribute to a "gifted actress and comedienne"
Rob Reiner says Jean Stapleton had "exquisite timing"
"Such a sweet lady!!" tweets Dick Van Dyke
Michael Chiklis calls her "brilliant" and "one of my favorites"

(CNN) -- She made it big decades ago, yet Jean Stapleton still has plenty of fans.

Some of those fans are entertainers themselves, who either worked with Stapleton or were awed and inspired by her work. Others enjoyed her performances while sitting in a Broadway theater or watching from their living rooms.

Below are a sampling a celebrity reactions, most of them from Twitter:

'"All in the Family' star Jean Stapleton dies at 90. One of my favorites has passed away. Jean was Brilliant. RIP"

-- Michael Chiklis
1994: Stapleton: Impact of Edith Bunker
King remembers Jean Stapleton

"It's a sad day. RIP Jean Stapleton. #Legend #Icon #OneOfAKind"

-- Mackenzie Phillips

"Jean Stapleton, beloved as Edith in ALL IN THE FAMILY dies at 90. She was unforgettable in that role...rest in peace..."

-- Bette Midler

"Those Were The Days...Rest In Peace Jean Stapleton"

-- Lynda Carter

"Jean Stapleton was a great actress and a wonderful lady. She WAS Edith Bunker."

-- Larry King

"Saddened to hear about Jean Stapleton. She was a gifted actress and comedienne. MBB"

-- William Shatner

"RIP Jean Stapleton, a great actor whose range was unbelievable, deep and majestic."

-- Roseanne Barr

"All In The Family was a great show, acting may have been best in sitcom history. Jean Stapleton was unreal, will not be forgotten. #RIPEdith"

-- Mike Greenberg

"Ms. Stapleton was a spectacular actress but her role with Mr. Lear behind the scenes was as funny and authentic as any in TV history. RIP."

-- Richard Lewis

"JEAN STAPLETON--- an extraordinary actress and part of 1 of the best TV shows in history. Thank you and rest in peace. Xo"

-- Debra Messing

"R.I.P. Jean Stapleton, such a sweet lady!!"

-- Dick Van Dyke

"Tonight I dedicate @ANNIEonBroadway to the great JEAN STAPLETON and her gorgeous memory. #jeanstapleton"

-- Jane Lynch

"Jean was a brilliant comedienne with exquisite timing. Working with her was one of the greatest experiences of my life."

-- Rob Reiner, who starred on "All in the Family" with Stapleton, in a statement

"I was at my computer when her glorious children, John and Pam, phoned me, and I told them I was working on my memoir, and reflecting on the time I was father to my personal family on Mooncrest Drive while also fathering Archie and Edith and three other families on CBS. And I added -- so, at 90, here still is Jean Stapleton, 'always where she is,' helping me to see my own frailties and humanity yet again. No one gave more profound 'How to be a human being' lessons than Jean Stapleton. Goodbye Edith, darling."

-- Norman Lear, the producer and director of "All in the Family"
Advertisement

Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #2
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker) RIP

RIP a very talented lady.

It made me wonder if she was related to Maureen Stapleton? I'll look it up.

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
country flag Smelly Feet

Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice Smelly Feet is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
RIP a very talented lady.

It made me wonder if she was related to Maureen Stapleton? I'll look it up.
No

She was offered the role of Jessica Fletcher on 'Murder, She Wrote', but turned it down. I know this. Also funny you mention Maureen...last night I watch her in a movie, 'Nuts'.

Anyway, sad news.
Smelly Feet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM   #4
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelly Feet View Post
No

She was offered the role of Jessica Fletcher on 'Murder, She Wrote', but turned it down. I know this. Also funny you mention Maureen...last night I watch her in a movie, 'Nuts'.

Anyway, sad news.
Yes you're right - just checked on IMDB.

I really liked Nuts - I thought Maureen and Barbra were very good though Maureen was one of those actresses who always were good in whatever they appeared in.

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Part 2 of her finest performance on "All in the Family":

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:29 AM   #6
country flag Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute

rip
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:53 AM   #7
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

And here I was thinking she'd already left us. RIP, Jean Stapleton. Your Edith character was a gift in ways most don't realize, but I'm sure you did.

JN is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 05:53 AM   #8
country flag Albireo

Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute

RIP, super-funny lady.
"If you practice for ten years, you may begin to please yourself, after 20 years you may become a performer and please the audience, after 30 years you may please even your guru, but you must practice for many more years before you finally become a true artist—then you may please even God." --Ali Akbar Khan, 1922-2009
Albireo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #9
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I can't overstate what a huge part of my childhood that show was. Groundbreaking and one of a kind. RIP Jean.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 03:30 PM   #10
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Most people know her as Dingbat . But she also had a very impressive list of theatre & film credits . RIP to an amazing actress
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:46 PM   #11
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelly Feet View Post
No

Anyway, sad news.
I always thought they were sisters!

Wow, she turned down Jessica Fletcher - not the best career move ever, unless she just didn't fancy the part.

I'll never forget seeing an old episode when I was in America when she said to Archie: I fell on my fanny! I nearly wet myself laughing!

RIP a true professional and warm and funny lady.
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:48 PM   #12
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Struthers View Post
rip
She'll be waiting for you
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM   #13
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
rip
You're an orphan!
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 09:26 PM   #14
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
rip
Poor Lil' Girl
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #15
country flag Mforensic

Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute Mforensic has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing actress and amazing person. I grew up watching All in the Family. Edith was a fantastic character and a gem in American televison history.
2008- 25K Jersey, 75K Torhout
2009- 25K Changwong, 75K Shrewsbury
2010- 100K Midland, 50K Nottingham
2011- 100K+H Nottingham
2013- 50K Nottingham
Mforensic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote