77-44, the law passes - marriage equality in New Zealand :) - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Gay Marriage be legal?

Yes (please explain your thoughts below) 187 87.38%
No, on religious grounds 15 7.01%
No (please explain your thoughts below) 12 5.61%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #61
country flag Number19

Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Why would someone who voted "no on religious grounds" not need or want to explain their view?

I haven't read the Bible in a few years, but I can't recall any quotations by Jesus where he disapproves of homosexuality or gay marriage?

I know there are a number of comments in Paul's letters, but I think any rational person can agree that the word of Paul, a non-divine mortal is not the same as the word of God.
Well, Jesus is only in a small part of the Bible.
Number19 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #62
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
the key difference between marriage and civil union is children and possible adoption. why does the government (or church) give recognition to marriage in the first place? children. i think the government should ensure the right to both biological parents for children. and marriage is the unit where the children are produced. imo, lesbian couple can raise a child as long as biological father has the right to see the child and/or the child has the right to know who is her/his biological father.
1. In some parts of the world, gay couples can adopt children. You've already claimed to be against that. Is there any reason for that? Empirical studies have shown that children raised by gay couples are not in a worse situation than children raised by straight couples.

2. It's not at all evident that the government gives recognition to marriage solely because of children. Infertile couples can marry and eldery couples can get marry (if they're straight that is).

3. The government should ensure the right to both biological parents for children? As far as I know, every child has (or had) biological parents.

4. Marriage is not the unit where children are produced. I was not produced in a marriage and millions of other people weren't either.

5. Why do you have an obsession with children being raised/seen by their biological parents.

Your whole position is poorly thought out.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #63
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Well, Jesus is only in a small part of the Bible.
The point being made is that people who are against gay marriage for religious purposes still need to defend their position. There is not unanimous consent against gay marriage even within clergy members of the Catholic church.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #64
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

IMO a marriage license should have nothing to do with religion. If someone wants to have their wedding in the church then so be it and those that can't because the church disapproves should be able to get married just by paying for the license and having the ceremony. It has always been my impression that there should be separation of church and state so churches need to step back.

Last edited by mykarma : Jul 27th, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
mykarma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #65
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
Nope.

Not everyone deserves equal rights, especially if you are born with the gay disease you should be made to suffer for it. If gays marry all the children in the world will turn gay and enjoy the church abusing them, which we do not want (the enjoying part! the abusing part can and should stay).

Marriage should be between a man and a woman as it is a religious institution which definitely doesn't predate organized religion and is upheld by the likes of Kim Kardashian. Allowing promiscuous gays to marry will only lead to straight couples cheating on eachother and divorcing after 72 days.

Marriage is about having children and not about being with the person you love and part taking in a contract which protects you socially, economically and mentally. Gays can obviously not have children as children need a fatherly figure in their lives and we all know gays are girly and lesbians don't exist. Only heterosexual couples like Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger can have and look after the mental and physical well-being of their children.

Gay marriage will lead to bestiality as we all know gays only rape each other and there is no adult consent involved. Similarly, gay marriage will also lead to an increase in pedophilia, which as a religious institute is completely unacceptable.

Gay marriage will also lead to the divine retribution as we all know god hates fags and invented HIV, the Tsunami and earthquakes to get rid of them. So what if he missed the plot with Malaria and Cancer!

More importantly, parents will have to tell their kids about why their friend bill has 2 dads and AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!
The sad thing is that some people seriously use some of these arguments...and actually believe them .I have heard people use the sentence I bolded to defend a wide array of things .
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #66
country flag Number19

Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute Number19 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
The point being made is that people who are against gay marriage for religious purposes still need to defend their position. There is not unanimous consent against gay marriage even within clergy members of the Catholic church.
I meant as there is a lot of "stuff" in the Bible, which can even be contradicted somewhere else in a lot of cases. And the Bible isn't solely about Jesus. I also wasn't raised Catholic so the Holy Trinity isn't really a part of what I was fed when I was a kid. So, that and my own personal interpretation is that Jesus wasn't God, let alone exclusively speaking for God (even if he might say so at some point.)

But, I think people who are against it based on religious belief, they themselves believe saying that is enough. To hell with any logic or rationale, its right there in a book (well, the parts they've told about,)so they don't have to think. So, why ask for their thoughts.
Number19 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #67
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

lol of course, come on, its 21st century we shouldnt even wonder about that

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #68
country flag ampers&
Senior Bitch.

ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
Really? Why not? Just wondering.
Marriage is a generally ridiculous Christian institution (in modern times). Why should gays have to suffer too? There are other ways to obtain equal rights anyway.
ampers& is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #69
country flag SantaBabyTennis

SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshualdo View Post
Have you read the bible? I don't think so.
Not OP but I've read the Bible, which is how I know "a slave in serving his master serves God," and the Biblical definition of marriage is polygamy. Not going to apologize for not worshipping the god of ancient slave owning polygamists that got their land by their own account by leaving "nothing that breathes alive," or genocide with their god's help.

Yes, I've read the Bible, and I didn't ignore the yucky, uncomfortable parts like so many that thump it do.
SantaBabyTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #70
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miching~Mallecho View Post
Marriage is a generally ridiculous Christian institution (in modern times). Why should gays have to suffer too? There are other ways to obtain equal rights anyway.
But shouldn't gays and lesbianS who want to get married have that option, whether you personally agree with the institution or not? Are you aware that there are certain privileges that come with marriage that often can not be obtained through civil unions/domestic partnerships?
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #71
country flag Onslow

Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of

Quote:
1. In some parts of the world, gay couples can adopt children. You've already claimed to be against that. Is there any reason for that? Empirical studies have shown that children raised by gay couples are not in a worse situation than children raised by straight couples.
just to put "some parts of the world" into perspective... nobel peace prize winner (2011) supports a ban on homosexuality: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-homosexuality

Quote:
2. It's not at all evident that the government gives recognition to marriage solely because of children. Infertile couples can marry and eldery couples can get marry (if they're straight that is).
it's evident if you stop kidding yourself... what's the most common question asked from a woman who's been married few months?

Quote:
3. The government should ensure the right to both biological parents for children? As far as I know, every child has (or had) biological parents.

4. Marriage is not the unit where children are produced. I was not produced in a marriage and millions of other people weren't either.

5. Why do you have an obsession with children being raised/seen by their biological parents.
equal rights. currently men have less rights to children than women. many kids grow up never knowing their father.
Onslow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #72
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

^^ lol, hat was some Sarah Palin shit right there. You actually managed to avoid responding to a single point in your rebuttal.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #73
country flag SantaBabyTennis

SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold SantaBabyTennis is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
just to put "some parts of the world" into perspective... nobel peace prize winner (2011) supports a ban on homosexuality: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-homosexuality

it's evident if you stop kidding yourself... what's the most common question asked from a woman who's been married few months?

equal rights. currently men have less rights to children than women. many kids grow up never knowing their father.
Closeted homosexuals claim marriage is exclusively for production of children, because otherwise they'd never marry someone if the inverse gender. They're also behind sex for procreation only so as to rationalize their utter lack of romantic and sexual desire for the inverse gender.
SantaBabyTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #74
country flag Onslow

Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
^^ lol, hat was some Sarah Palin shit right there. You actually managed to avoid responding to a single point in your rebuttal.
i'm wrong because sarah palin. good reasoning

Quote:
Closeted homosexuals claim marriage is exclusively for production of children, because otherwise they'd never marry someone if the inverse gender. They're also behind sex for procreation only so as to rationalize their utter lack of romantic and sexual desire for the inverse gender.
i'm wrong because i must be closeted homosexual. right what has marriage to do with sex? nothing really, quite the opposite...
Onslow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #75
country flag ampers&
Senior Bitch.

ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debopero View Post
But shouldn't gays and lesbianS who want to get married have that option, whether you personally agree with the institution or not? Are you aware that there are certain privileges that come with marriage that often can not be obtained through civil unions/domestic partnerships?
Gays are lesbians. I never understand why gay people make that distinction.

Anyway, I am aware. Which is why I believe the battle should be whether or not marriage should even have that much power over human civil liberties; not gays gaining equal rights under the absurdity that is a modern marriage. That's all.
ampers& is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote