77-44, the law passes - marriage equality in New Zealand :) - Page 23 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Gay Marriage be legal?

Yes (please explain your thoughts below) 187 87.38%
No, on religious grounds 15 7.01%
No (please explain your thoughts below) 12 5.61%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 05:59 PM   #331
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

I see a certain drama queen has decided to bump this thread to create even more bitching.
Advertisement

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 06:18 PM   #332
country flag Bonfire

Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute Bonfire has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I support gay marriage. Homosexuals should be given ALL the same rights as heterosexuals. I don't care how religion comes into play with that.
Simple but true. That's my opinion. Equality is most important.

W
ozniacki - Stephens - Vandeweghe
Townsend - Stosur - Kvitova
Isner - Wawrinka - Sock - Berdych - Raonic

Bonfire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 07:01 PM   #333
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

In all these gay marriage discussions, many always forget trans rights. We campaigned endlessly for Gay Marriage in the UK (and by we, I dont just mean people from the LGBT community, but me and my friends personally). Its about time we add trans rights to the campaign.

There is so much division and disparity in the L G B and T groups in the community, its ridiculous. Not just that, the the entire community is just way too laid back and chilled about their own rights with just a minority trying the campaign for it. Even at grass-root levels, I see so many people who are just not bothered. Being the LGBT(Q) officer for the university with one of the highest concentrations of LGBTQ members in the world, it was shameful and disappointing to see how many people actually bothered and involved with our issues.

PS: All you UK students should try and attend the NUS LGBT Conference in March.

Last edited by Miss Atomic Bomb : Feb 23rd, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #334
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

This straight male must admit that the wording in gay marriage ceremonies is more egalitarian (which I like) ala "I now pronounce you married", than the sexist "I now pronounce you man and wife". (Not "husband and wife", or other non-proprietary wording).

And I doubt that gay and lesbian couples are introduced as "the Smiths", like straights are based on the husband's surname (though his wife may well use her maiden name). Of course terms like "Mr. and Mrs. George Smith" are common, as if the wife also sometimes gives up her first name too.

"My side" should get its act together on marriage B4 trying to monopolize it.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #335
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of weeks ago the bill passed the second reading, it's entirely possible that marriage equality bill will become law within a few months
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #336
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope the Supreme Court makes the right decision in the US, so everyone will be treated equal in the eyes of law and society.
Potato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #337
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

I have to just say the lawyer arguing for the upholding of Prop 8' was hilarious when he was trying to squirm out of explaining what harm marriage equality would cause society. He clearly had no answer, so he was trying to pretend that it has no bearing on the case. The entire idea that the court can't do anything because there may yet be proof in the future that says same-sex marriage is harmful is too funny. Can we set a time frame for how long it has to be around for it to be decided for good that it's not harmful? 20 years? 30 years? What? That argument can go on forever. They can be presented with all the sociological evidence that is causes no harm, but they can just say in the next few years there might finally be one study that proves it's harmful, so we need to wait a few more years. It's just kicking the can down the road because you have nothing to back up your argument. At least most of the Justices seemed to agree with that.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #338
country flag ampers&
Senior Bitch.

ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute ampers& has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Atomic Bomb View Post
In all these gay marriage discussions, many always forget trans rights. We campaigned endlessly for Gay Marriage in the UK (and by we, I dont just mean people from the LGBT community, but me and my friends personally). Its about time we add trans rights to the campaign.

There is so much division and disparity in the L G B and T groups in the community, its ridiculous. Not just that, the the entire community is just way too laid back and chilled about their own rights with just a minority trying the campaign for it. Even at grass-root levels, I see so many people who are just not bothered. Being the LGBT(Q) officer for the university with one of the highest concentrations of LGBTQ members in the world, it was shameful and disappointing to see how many people actually bothered and involved with our issues.

PS: All you UK students should try and attend the NUS LGBT Conference in March.
The face of the gay struggle in America is largely white and middle class. And there are the same problems with division and disparity within gay communities here. It's pretty hilarious for me having conversations about gay rights with extremely prejudiced gay white men in D.C. The irony astounds me.
ampers& is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #339
country flag Bayo

Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute

The Queen hath spoken:

Serena's game is like the limitation of the spirit to it's very basic elements, sleep (or the process of going to sleep), eat, rerun [...] the two first, all and absolutely unnecessary to a person's life just like Serena's game is to tennis are often overpraised for whatever reasons in certain close-minded brain-broken societies.
Bayo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #340
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, makes two ppl happy, and doesnt hurt anyone, anyone who's against it, has issues
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #341
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Hard 2C the plaintiffs winning both cases this Supreme Court term, as the rationale (swing Justice) Anthony Kennedy seemed to employ was deferring to the states. That gets DOMA invalidated, but leaves Prop 8 in force (though it would soon be put to a new public referendum in CA, and very likely repealed by the voters).

But I'd be surprised if a Federal right to same sex marriage were established now, thus ovaruling "states rights" on this. And I know, they indeed did so on interracial marriages in the 1967 case Loving v. Virginia, but that was decided by a far more liberal group of Justices.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #342
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
Hard 2C the plaintiffs winning both cases this Supreme Court term, as the rationale (swing Justice) Anthony Kennedy seemed to employ was deferring to the states. That gets DOMA invalidated, but leaves Prop 8 in force (though it would soon be put to a new public referendum in CA, and very likely repealed by the voters).

But I'd be surprised if a Federal right to same sex marriage were established now, thus ovaruling "states rights" on this. And I know, they indeed did so on interracial marriages in the 1967 case Loving v. Virginia, but that was decided by a far more liberal group of Justices.
I think the likely outcome (and the one most analysts seem to be saying) is they'll strike down DOMA and say they have no authority on Proposition 8, so the current decision striking it down will stand. It will give two victories to marriage equality supporters, but give opponents something to work with in the form of state sovereignty.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #343
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

Are the Supreme Courts decisions supposed to be given tomorrow?
TT Singles Current Ranking: #1 (CH Ranking: #1)
Titles(6): Linz 2014, Cincinnati 2014, Wimbledon 2014, Marrakech 2014, Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
TT Doubles Current Ranking: #28 (CH Ranking: #8)
Titles(6): Cincinnati 2014, Bucharest 2014, Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
Inger67 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #344
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

The ruling is expected to be out in June, around the session ends for the Supreme Court. It tends to save the most dramatic ruling for last.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #345
country flag Solaire

Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all Solaire is a name known to all

Of course. Why is this even an issue in the 21st century? Because of some religious superstitions?
Solaire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote