77-44, the law passes - marriage equality in New Zealand :) - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Gay Marriage be legal?

Yes (please explain your thoughts below) 187 87.38%
No, on religious grounds 15 7.01%
No (please explain your thoughts below) 12 5.61%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 28th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #151
country flag Towanda

Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Yes, I support it as a right that everyone should choose to have and participate in, but I don't understand why anyone would want to get married these days. I don't get the incentive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
I'm not against people getting married. But how significant is the impact on their lives with or without it? And I don't really care about any sanctimonious religious reasoning.

When my partner was diagnosed with cancer several years ago, I spent my entire retirement paying her medical bills and that wasn't a small amount of money. We would have married many years before that if we could have, and if we had been able to do that she would have been on my health insurance, I would still have my home, I would be retired, and I would have received a joint and survivor annuity from her pension. Any couple, if they are committed to each other and plan to stay together, would be foolish to not consider the benefits to marrying. While I would never suggest someone marry for the benefits if they were not otherwise inclined to marry, these benefits certainly are incentives to marry given the alternative of losing everything you have worked for.
Towanda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 30th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #152
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Still above 80%
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #153
country flag Ziggy Starduck
No Place

Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute Ziggy Starduck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
When my partner was diagnosed with cancer several years ago, I spent my entire retirement paying her medical bills and that wasn't a small amount of money. We would have married many years before that if we could have, and if we had been able to do that she would have been on my health insurance, I would still have my home, I would be retired, and I would have received a joint and survivor annuity from her pension. Any couple, if they are committed to each other and plan to stay together, would be foolish to not consider the benefits to marrying. While I would never suggest someone marry for the benefits if they were not otherwise inclined to marry, these benefits certainly are incentives to marry given the alternative of losing everything you have worked for.
Unfortunately I must spread rep around before giving you more Towanda What a beautiful and touching post Getting married is so much about protecting each other's rights as it is about love and commitment.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #154
country flag Milito22

Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute Milito22 has a reputation beyond repute

Argentina: more than 6000 gay couples married in two years

http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx...=1&Category=24
Milito22 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #155
country flag Towanda

Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Starduck View Post
Unfortunately I must spread rep around before giving you more Towanda What a beautiful and touching post Getting married is so much about protecting each other's rights as it is about love and commitment.
Thanks Ziggy! It seems that many people think we just want to mimic heterosexual relationships by marrying, and perhaps getting some nice tupperware as a gift. It's too bad they don't consider all the benefits they get and how their lives would change if they didn't get those benefits. I want to believe that many just take those benefits for granted, but it's just as likely that because of their hatred, they think we don't deserve any benefits.
Towanda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #156
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

In a gay marriage, do couples ever take the last name of their partner? If so, how do they decide which name to take?

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #157
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
In a gay marriage, do couples ever take the last name of their partner? If so, how do they decide which name to take?
You realise in heterosexual marriages there's no obligation for the woman to change her name. There are even cases where the husband takes on the wife's surname.

Presumably they have a discussion about it. Ya know, the same way they pick out the flowers, sort out the seating plan and the other associated things that need to be done before - as Beyonce would say "putting a ring on it".
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #158
country flag Mikey.
Set me free, leave me be.

Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
You realise in heterosexual marriages there's no obligation for the woman to change her name. There are even cases where the husband takes on the wife's surname.

Presumably they have a discussion about it. Ya know, the same way they pick out the flowers, sort out the seating plan and the other associated things that need to be done before - as Beyonce would say "putting a ring on it".
Or they could even make a hyphenated surname. I know lots of people who have done that.
Mikey. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #159
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
There's no real set rule about it, it's up to the couple
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #160
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I don't support gays adopting children though.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #161
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Explain please

In my opinion, the vast majority of gay couples who wish to adopt would make as good, if not better parents than your average ones. Theres millions of unloved children worldwide, wouldn't they be better in a loving home?

Last edited by kittyking : Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
kittyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #162
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Why? What makes a gay couple inherently worse at parenting than a 16 yearold single mum? Nothing at all.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #163
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the figure of both a father and a mother is very important, especially the mother, I just don't like the idea of two male homossexuals adopting children sorry.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #164
country flag KeysisGOAT

Quote:
I think that the figure of both a father and a mother is very important,
Quote:
A southwest Ohio couple kept their 12-year-old daughter imprisoned in a basement for nearly a month, bound, unbathed and starved until her ribs were clearly visible through her skin, authorities said. Middletown police discovered the sunken-eyed child on July 3 after an anonymous tip led them to the makeshift dungeon that Shawn Blackston, 40, and Joanna Blackston, 36, had created to "punish" the her... A single, dingy light bulb hung from the ceiling near a grime-covered mattress that served as the girl's bed. The girl told investigators her stepmother bound her wrists with duct tape and also put tape over her mouth and eyes, the newspaper reported. She was fed only cereal and hadn't brushed her teeth in six months because her parents had taken away her toothbrush as punishment, she told investigators.
Quote:
especially the mother,
Quote:
The Fairfield County parents charged with confining their 4-year-old daughter in a steel-mesh fenced pen... Russell D. Terry, 34, and Jamie M. Curnell, 32, were charged after deputies responded to a domestic-violence complaint at their house and found the pen used to confine the girl to her bed, Phalen said. Deputies were dispatched to the house at 8721 Lancaster-Thornville Rd. in Pleasantville just after 1 a.m. on Tuesday after Terry called and said that Curnell, his girlfriend and mother of his two children, had argued with him and had tried to choke him with an extension cord. She was angry with him because he had been out drinking.
Quote:
I just don't like the idea of two male homossexuals adopting children sorry.
Quote:
A Cambridge University developmental psychologist testified at a federal trial in San Francisco today that broad research has documented that children of same-sex parents are just as likely as those of heterosexual parents to be well-adjusted.

"Studies have found children do not require both a male and female parent," testified Michael Lamb, who heads Cambridge's Department of Social and Developmental Psychology.

Lamb was called by lawyers for two same-sex couples who are challenging Proposition 8 as a violation of federal constitutional guarantees of equal protection and due process. Proposition 8, approved by 52.3% of voters in 2008, amended the California constitution to ban same-sex marriage.

He said childhood adjustment is determined by the relationships parents have with children and their relationships to each other.

Lamb also said that studies show "no significant increase" in the proportion of children who become gay and lesbian when they are raised by same-sex couples rather than heterosexuals.

Children of same-sex couples are more vulnerable than their counterparts to be teased about their parents, but not more likely to be teased overall, he said. Lamb also said that children of gays and lesbians have fewer sexual stereotypes than children of heterosexuals.
Yeah. If you can accept that homosexuals can love eachother in an equal way as heterosexuals, why the fuck would they love their kids any less.

Grow the fuck up.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #165
country flag Sammo

Those are pathetic examples, we're talking about fucking normal people here. Don't come up with the 'horrible parents' argument please