How do you deal with depression? - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #121
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you deal with depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post

Also, from what you've said about your experience, I agree with you that it sounds like what you have is depression, rather than bipolar disorder. I guess Matias and Debby thought it because of what you said about self-destructive behaviour -- my doctor/relatives briefly wondered if I was bipolar when I was at my lowest about 18 months ago when I kept on self-destructive streaks, but it was more a cry for help, it wasn't really the same thought process as someone who's bipolar, and as you say there weren't any highs that you would get if you were bipolar either.
Having a self destructive behaviour is not a condition for bipolars though, I think you meant you were being impulsive & lacking in judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debby View Post
Actually you got it all wrong.

Bipolar disorder can be associated with depression (my mom is depressed AND bipolar)
also I don't see why it might not be a cry for help for bipolar persons? that's what happened with my mom a few times....

being bipolar doesn't mean you have necessarily highs so to say. You actually two moods : one in which you are depressed for weeks/months, then suddenly you are OK for months.. then you are back into depression....
My mom is stable now, so of course there are moments she feels down and sad, but it's not like before anymore when she was really at her lowest, wanting to die, etc etc then suddenly "I am alright, why are you guys all worried for me, it's alright, it was not a big deal at all !"
Well yea that's not how the disorder works when you're having a manic episode though There's usually a transition between the 2 moods, a period of time when you feel stable. When I was bad I was a real rollercoaster, sometimes I would barely have any sleep, talk non stop, I was more horny than usual (got to say it ), I would even post here more often & when I felt depressed I would literally only get out of bed to eat & go to the bathroom, a mess. Thankfully those days are over.
Advertisement

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #122
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute

Vartan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #123
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matías. View Post
Having a self destructive behaviour is not a condition for bipolars though, I think you meant you were being impulsive & lacking in judgement?

Well yea that's not how the disorder works when you're having a manic episode though There's usually a transition between the 2 moods, a period of time when you feel stable. When I was bad I was a real rollercoaster, sometimes I would barely have any sleep, talk non stop, I was more horny than usual (got to say it ), I would even post here more often & when I felt depressed I would literally only get out of bed to eat & go to the bathroom, a mess. Thankfully those days are over.
I haven't posted anything about bipolar, or for that matter posted many posts that could be taken too seriously.

I have a few friends with bipolar. It is a serious condition, however I truly believe that too many people are claiming to have it, too many doctors are diagnosing people with it, and in many (not all, but many) people are being given too many prescriptions for it.

Life is stressful. It has lots of highs, and lots of lows. It's only logical to think that moods and the personalities which follow these are the same. It's really really hard to get through the bad times, we all know that and particularly in todays day in age its far too easy to get down in the dumps for months on end. It's also easy to get into a disillusioned state for periods at a time. It doesn't just happen because of 'extreme' events either. Someone people like a regular routine more than others, and if it goes out of wack everything just seems to fall apart.

Unfortunetly some doctors would give you pills to relieve your stress. A far better solution is accepting that you may well feel quite low for awhile. But its very important for you to go outside and smell the roses so to speak. There is a hundred ways you can help yourself get better, probably a thousand! A couple of (serious) tips;
1. Substitute those yummy biscuits for a piece of fruit, doesn't matter which type my personal favourite is seedless grapes.
2. Force yourself to do something social, whether thats meeting a friend down at the pub
3. Have a go at Archery.. yea, this one sounds odd I know but it helped three of my friends who are from quite different backgrounds.
4. Turn off the Tv, particularly if the news is on
5. If your fit go for a run, if your not walk to the dairy and get an icecream - you can say kittyking told you too, but don't send me the bill cheers
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #124
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Well actually that's what she was telling us, but who knows what was going through her head ?

I know there is a transition but someone her moods were really off putting.
But that's too simplistic, there were many more things like eating habits, sleeping cycles, etc etc
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #125
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
I haven't posted anything about bipolar, or for that matter posted many posts that could be taken too seriously.

I have a few friends with bipolar. It is a serious condition, however I truly believe that too many people are claiming to have it, too many doctors are diagnosing people with it, and in many (not all, but many) people are being given too many prescriptions for it.

Life is stressful. It has lots of highs, and lots of lows. It's only logical to think that moods and the personalities which follow these are the same. It's really really hard to get through the bad times, we all know that and particularly in todays day in age its far too easy to get down in the dumps for months on end. It's also easy to get into a disillusioned state for periods at a time. It doesn't just happen because of 'extreme' events either. Someone people like a regular routine more than others, and if it goes out of wack everything just seems to fall apart.

Unfortunetly some doctors would give you pills to relieve your stress. A far better solution is accepting that you may well feel quite low for awhile. But its very important for you to go outside and smell the roses so to speak. There is a hundred ways you can help yourself get better, probably a thousand! A couple of (serious) tips;
1. Substitute those yummy biscuits for a piece of fruit, doesn't matter which type my personal favourite is seedless grapes.
2. Force yourself to do something social, whether thats meeting a friend down at the pub
3. Have a go at Archery.. yea, this one sounds odd I know but it helped three of my friends who are from quite different backgrounds.
5. If your fit go for a run, if your not walk to the dairy and get an icecream - you can say kittyking told you too, but don't send me the bill cheers
Is this directed at me? I know for a fact that I'm bipolar, pretty much all the doctors I've seen (many, many doctors) have reached the same conclusions, for me it is not a option to quit the treatment.

But I think you're right, people take the bipolar disorder too lightly when in reality is a serious condition for most people with it. I also think there's a small line that separates the disorder from a just a "crazy" season & that's that many people with the disorder can't function at all & also their behaviour is so erratic that people expose themselves to risky situations.

When you get the right treatment (& that's a looooong fight) people with the disorder finally can get stability into their lifes. Although I have been pretty much "functional" the whole time except from some periods of time, I only found stability a year ago. Some people I know never find that place.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #126
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post

My mom is clearly bipolar and nothing from that list was enough And I am sure it's the same for Matias.

About that list : i guess it's directed to really sad people (not depressed)
a depression is really serious, it can't be cured by doing all these things :/ but you are right, many people either take this too lightly or think sadness=depression.... and that's not a good thing at all !
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #127
debby

Quote:
Is this directed at me? I know for a fact that I'm bipolar, pretty much all the doctors I've seen (many, many doctors) have reached the same conclusions, for me it is not a option to quit the treatment.

But I think you're right, people take the bipolar disorder too lightly when in reality is a serious condition for most people with it. I also think there's a small line that separates the disorder from a just a "crazy" season & that's that many people with the disorder can't function at all & also their behaviour is so erratic that people expose themselves to risky situations.

When you get the right treatment (& that's a looooong fight) people with the disorder finally can get stability into their lifes. Although I have been pretty much "functional" the whole time except from some periods of time, I only found stability a year ago.
Some people I know never find that place.

about the bolded part, this sounds like my mom she finally found stability a year ago, I am so happy it was really hard before. I hope it's finally behind you and my mom ! It's a terrible disease
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #128
country flag Nicolás89

Quote:
Well actually that's what she was telling us, but who knows what was going through her head ?

I know there is a transition but someone her moods were really off putting.
But that's too simplistic, there were many more things like eating habits, sleeping cycles, etc etc
What type of bipolar is she, I'm bipolar type I.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #129
country flag Nicolás89

Quote:

about the bolded part, this sounds like my mom she finally found stability a year ago, I am so happy it was really hard before. I hope it's finally behind you and my mom ! It's a terrible disease
I guess so. To me it is just a regular disease, as if my kidneys were sick or something I guess I just learned to not victimize myself.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #130
debby

Quote:
What type of bipolar is she, I'm bipolar type I.
I don't know, I always confuse these types. I know she once told me but I forgot damn it... I think it's type I .... I should read that book about the bipolar disorder, she always wanted me to read it
I will ask her
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #131
debby

Quote:
I guess so. To me it is just a regular disease, as if my kidneys were sick or something I guess I just learned to not victimize myself.
Well it's hard for you but your family too

In my case, it was hard, even if we all supported her, it was still crazy... like I cried so many times... I even saved her life a few times.... my brother had to hold her arms and legs really tight so she would stop yelling while waiting for the help... that kind of stuff.
She is a wonderful mom, so it was always breaking our heart to see her self destroying like that TBH.

But now it's behind us.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #132
country flag Nicolás89

Quote:
I don't know, I always confuse these types. I know she once told me but I forgot damn it... I think it's type I .... I should read that book about the bipolar disorder, she always wanted me to read it
I will ask her
Or maybe she just wasn't categorized & labeled as I was. I know some people don't know what type are they (as if it you would choose a team ) because their doctors don't feel like it is necessary to know to treat them.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #133
country flag Mashi

Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of Mashi has much to be proud of

i watch porn
Mashi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #134
debby

Quote:
Or maybe she just wasn't categorized & labeled as I was. I know some people don't know what type are they (as if it you would choose a team ) because their doctors don't feel like it is necessary to know to treat them.
Nah I know she has a type but I forgot it because she has some medication, and she's found the right dosage when she feels a bit down, her psy changes her dosage up , and if she feels better, she reduces it , etc.. they found the right balance !
do you see someone right ?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #135
country flag Nicolás89

Quote:
Well it's hard for you but your family too

In my case, it was hard, even if we all supported her, it was still crazy... like I cried so many times... I even saved her life a few times.... my brother had to hold her arms and legs really tight so she would stop yelling while waiting for the help... that kind of stuff.
She is a wonderful mom, so it was always breaking our heart to see her self destroying like that TBH.

But now it's behind us.
Yea I know it can be really hard for the people close to you, when I was with my family my disease literally torned the family apart, I never really was sucidal but I did other stuff I don't want to talk about now