How do you deal with depression? - Page 15 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #211
country flag Losing Streak

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you deal with depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean. View Post
Seriously though, the worst thing you can do is sit at home (in front of a computer) & do nothing.

Go out, be active, talk to people, do stuff, help someone else. It works for me. It's hard to actually take the first step and force yourself to do it, but you're the only one stopping you.

Are you going to let yourself beat you? Who's in control?
Ftm I can pretty sure say that Mary Chain lost to Mary Chain 1-6 0-6, yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
Considering stress is the major trigger of all my depressive phases, doing nothing and playing computer games helps me.
I actually agree with this. Being on the computer helps me keep my hyperactive mind more or less under control. It helps me. I need it.

Then again, I know I should mix it up more. Balance it by going outdoors more and do whatever, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemWilliamsGulls View Post
PRAYING and going to Church. It has REALLY REALLY lifts my spirits, help me fight through my hard times. MUSIC that relates to what you are going through REALLY helps as well. Also, Encouraging yourself helps you get through hard times...I talk to myself all the time and it makes me fight, work hard to find a solution to the problem that makes me depressed. Working out also helps me a lot. Talking with family members/friends also really helps with depression as well because they help encourage you. Don't keep all of that negativity in you, talk to somebody about it to release it, then try to do something about it rather than feel sorry for yourself. Oh and shopping or to treating yourself helps me out too
I'm not religious at all (at least for the moment), I don't have faith in anything (maybe that's part of the depression).

Music really helps me too, it's very cathartic, when I'm sad and desperate, I listen to music that really speaks to me and what I feel deeply and it helps me cry, release some pressure and even sometimes it gives me a boost to bounce back.

I talk to myself all the time, it helps me too, I very often think aloud when I'm alone, it makes my mind clearer.

I see a shrink and talk to my mum, they're both helping me a lot in their own ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTs View Post
Yeah, working out does a really great deal in some cases. May be hard to believe but I speak from my experience.

The effectiveness of different advices depends on personality - whether you're an introvert or the opposite and so on. One thing will work for somebody but won't work for another. But the main thing you should do in any case is to get to know yourself better. It's a universal way indeed. There would be so much less pain in the world if people knew themselves instead of trying on someone else's skin. Look for conflicts inside your motives and resolve them. Chase your own dream, not the dream of your parents/loved one/friends/neighbors/society. The best thing you can do in your life is to be happy. If it means being lazy then be it.

But be warned, it sounds much easier than it actually is. Yet it totally worth the effort. I know for sure.

I agree 100% on this.

I'm actively working on understanding better who I am, how I work, why I react to some situations the way I do, more generally why I behave the way I do, etc., I'm in a very intensive (and intense therapy), it's the most important thing to me and my shrink is an incredibly human person, but it's a very long-term work and though I know myself way better than when I started my therapy, I still haven't found a way to solve/overcome the problems I've pointed out, thus the everlasting despair I'm not totally losing hope though, because I feel like the right person is helping me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Хлоэ View Post
What to do if nothing helps? working out is the best way to deal with depression, but it seems to work only for a bit for me

Instead of becoming stronger with every awful experience, i destroy myself further
I understand you, I can so relate to this

I feel like whenever I try to set up some positive things/ some positive things happen to me, I always manage to waste it all and make everything fail however, unconsciously. It's so desperating and infuriating... It's like I really do want to ruin myself and be as miserable as one can be, unconsciously. Working on it really hard with my shrink, but it's hard to work this kind of things out.

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #212

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
also if you're doing nothing at home, you could self pity yourself with the rest of the tumblr community, that's always fun too
IKR but I got tired of it a while ago still come back every now and then for a lil moaning though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post

Paul though

Last edited by Losing Streak : Apr 28th, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Losing Streak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremelyInjured View Post
Looking at Bar Refaeli pics works for me

Mary Chain really want to you. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisboi View Post
I have been given 2mg of Valium by my doc to take daily for a week but they are not working haven't slept properly in weeks. Doctors can't help at all just medicate that makes me feel like there is no way out
Understand how you feel. Plus, sleep deprivation just drives you crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Oh when I can't sleep I always take melatonin, it does wonders for me. It can get as bad as it wants that I'm never gonna take brain medication But it's pretty stable for me at the moment, I'm just a bit unmotivated and angry at myself because of lots of different stuff.
I always have much trouble to fall asleep, and I took some for a while, it worked wonderfully on me as well. Sadly, it's not reimbursed at all by health service in France and I couldn't afford it anymore.

Quote:
It's not so much a sleep issue I have been given them for panic attacks which I have been getting every day for 2 weeks now. I have been on 40mg of Fluoxetine for 4 months now and I don't feel any improvement. Doing all the things I am advised and there isn't a change. I feel firmly stuck in my depression I can't actually remember what it feels like to have a normal emotion and get up feeling happy about things
Have you tried another anti-depressant/ another anxiolytic? Sometimes you have to try several ones to find the good one. I know it's annoying and sometimes it's a long road to find the proper one, but you can find one.

Quote:
Waiting to see a therapist but it takes a while. I have been to various types in the past but nobody ever seemed to want to hear me talk about the real issues, I have been told that revisiting things is not productive. Talk therapy is just a grind and exhausting. It is actually much easier to talk to other depressed people honestly.
Wow, you should never see anyone that gives you that impression (that they don't want to hear about your problems) or tells you stuff like 'talking is useless' ever again. Don't hesitate to try different people and change if you feel you don't hit it off well. It came take some find to find the good person, I know it's tiring but I assure you it's totally worthy. At first, it's really hard to talk about your problems, it makes you uncomfortable and you find it exhausting, but when confidence slowly installs, it's much much easier.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #214

Thank you so much to anyone who took some time to write me a message (Cajka, Melange ) or an encouraging reputation, thanks more generally to everyone for caring and trying to help/support me (and the others). It really touched me.

I'm letting you know that you can feel free to msg me if you feel like talking to me/ need to talk to someone.

I'm gonna keep doing what I feel is my best to start feeling better and keeping hope.
I'm also gonna try and pick up sports/physical activity again, I've been wanting to for years but let the laziness and unfitness install. I also feel it can only do me good, even if it will be terrible at the start.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #215
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit like this but I have a light OCPD instead of OCD, (OCD IMO is worse), I just like things to be very tidy and everything (doesn't bother me if they aren't though) and for example if I think I'm not gonna be able to do something very well then I have a lot of difficulties doing it, which is why I suffered a lot with my studies, on the other hand once you settle yourself for something you become very stubborn about it and you won't stop until you get it, I wanted to have good marks in my science bachelor's degree and I ended up with 8.34 which is okay. But I went through a lot of mental breakdowns to get those marks, now I'm doing better in college mentally-wise, I'm being possitive and I try to do the realistic goals I settle myself for everyday, instead of not doing the ridiculously high goals I settled for and panic about not doing them.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #216
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm a bit like this but I have a light OCPD instead of OCD, (OCD IMO is worse), I just like things to be very tidy and everything (doesn't bother me if they aren't though) and for example if I think I'm not gonna be able to do something very well then I have a lot of difficulties doing it, which is why I suffered a lot with my studies, on the other hand once you settle yourself for something you become very stubborn about it and you won't stop until you get it, I wanted to have good marks in my science bachelor's degree and I ended up with 8.34 which is okay. But I went through a lot of mental breakdowns to get those marks, now I'm doing better in college mentally-wise, I'm being possitive and I try to do the realistic goals I settle myself for everyday, instead of not doing the ridiculously high goals I settled for and panic about not doing them.
I'm such a control freak, that's really sad. I'm a phd student and I still cry when I get 9, isn't that completely insane? Don't get me started with my sick tidiness. I clean my house literally every day, I feel like it's always too dirty. Two days ago I started yelling at my 91 yo grandpa because he made some mess. My dad told me I was hysterical and insufferable. I wash my hair every single day. I need everything under control, when I feel like my heart rate is slightly high, when I feel some dizziness, I get a panic attack immediately. When it's too hot, when I'm sweating, I'm out of control. IDK, I started working in my garden, I need to feel like being all sweaty and dirty is harmless. And the fact that I'm helping my folks is making me feel much better.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #217
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you I used to be much more of a control freak before I went to cognitive-behavioral therapy for like 6 months, it's okay to admit that there are things that escape to our control (although many less than many therapist wanted me to believe IMO ), also I argued with my mother like every 2 days and with my father like every 2 weeks and now I hardly ever do it cause my therapist helped me understand my parents' points of view better, I mean not really it's not like I didn't understand them before but I was mad because I was always the one who had to understand and of course I could never complain, so I got through a period in which everything made me angry, but my psychologist made me see that the thing wasn't about being fair to others, she basically told me that I'd live much better being empathetic towards the other people and she was right. It was super expensive though, I mean 50 fucking euros a week

By the way how do you manage to study a phd if you cry when you get a 9? I could handle that sort of stuff when I was 16 but now I just can't, I had to search for another way of taking it or otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go on with my studies, and believe me I had some really really horrible times with it and went through a lot of suffering, it's not like it just bothered me a bit.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #218
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good for you I used to be much more of a control freak before I went to cognitive-behavioral therapy for like 6 months, it's okay to admit that there are things that escape to our control (although many less than many therapist wanted me to believe IMO ), also I argued with my mother like every 2 days and with my father like every 2 weeks and now I hardly ever do it cause my therapist helped me understand my parents' points of view better, I mean not really it's not like I didn't understand them before but I was mad because I was always the one who had to understand and of course I could never complain, so I got through a period in which everything made me angry, but my psychologist made me see that the thing wasn't about being fair to others, she basically told me that I'd live much better being empathetic towards the other people and she was right. It was super expensive though, I mean 50 fucking euros a week
I'm not underestimating your problem or anything, but I'd like you to understand that it's really not unusual to have problems with your parents as a teenager. I remember all those problems and they were really stressful, but it became so much different when I matured. With the time they started understanding me better, I started understanding them. It all came naturally. Of course, if those problems are making you really miserable, maybe you should all go together to those sessions, have you tried that?
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #219
country flag Sammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
I'm not underestimating your problem or anything, but I'd like you to understand that it's really not unusual to have problems with your parents as a teenager. I remember all those problems and they were really stressful, but it became so much different when I matured. With the time they started understanding me better, I started understanding them. It all came naturally. Of course, if those problems are making you really miserable, maybe you should all go together to those sessions, have you tried that?
Nah my father can be an idiot sometimes like most parents, I went to a couple of sessions with him and he seemed to understand my problems, but my mother's got this huge narcissistic disorder that really makes impossible any kind of deep relationship, which is very sad but whatever, it isn't my fault.

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #220
country flag tennisboi

tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Chain View Post
Wow, you should never see anyone that gives you that impression (that they don't want to hear about your problems) or tells you stuff like 'talking is useless' ever again. Don't hesitate to try different people and change if you feel you don't hit it off well. It came take some find to find the good person, I know it's tiring but I assure you it's totally worthy. At first, it's really hard to talk about your problems, it makes you uncomfortable and you find it exhausting, but when confidence slowly installs, it's much much easier.
My doc changed my tablets yesterday I was formally on fluoxetine 40mg and she then changed it to venlafaxine 37.5, she also gave me different Diazepam (valium) 2mg and 5 mg depending on how I am feeling plus Lorazepam 2mg to take morning and night...I am going to see a psychiatrist on Thursday. I am just being bounced around from one doc to the next with no results. I first went to a therapist when I was 14 to deal with childhood abuse and 5 years of that didn't work. The next doc that says I don't know what to do is gonna get a black eye
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #221
country flag Cajka

Quote:
My doc changed my tablets yesterday I was formally on fluoxetine 40mg and she then changed it to venlafaxine 37.5, she also gave me different Diazepam (valium) 2mg and 5 mg depending on how I am feeling plus Lorazepam 2mg to take morning and night...I am going to see a psychiatrist on Thursday. I am just being bounced around from one doc to the next with no results. I first went to a therapist when I was 14 to deal with childhood abuse and 5 years of that didn't work. The next doc that says I don't know what to do is gonna get a black eye
This, definitely. Since you decided to post in this thread, it's obvious that you have a need to talk about your problems. So, it's not like the therapist can't find the way to talk to you, you're willing to spill your guts and talk about your deepest fears and problems. Obviously, you're not the problem here, it's their job to listen and find a way to help you. Change as many therapists as it takes, but you will find the right person eventually. In the meanwhile, try to make things better on your own. I know that the word autosuggestion sounds like a joke in a very poor taste to those who deal with depression, but make that effort. Going outside, doing things, seeing people must be a huge effort and a huge pain, but one day it will get easier.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #222
country flag tennisboi

tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
This, definitely. Since you decided to post in this thread, it's obvious that you have a need to talk about your problems. So, it's not like the therapist can't find the way to talk to you, you're willing to spill your guts and talk about your deepest fears and problems. Obviously, you're not the problem here, it's their job to listen and find a way to help you. Change as many therapists as it takes, but you will find the right person eventually. In the meanwhile, try to make things better on your own. I know that the word autosuggestion sounds like a joke in a very poor taste to those who deal with depression, but make that effort. Going outside, doing things, seeing people must be a huge effort and a huge pain, but one day it will get easier.
I use the NHS which I think is a great institution and I respect what is stands for but everything takes a bloody age! So I have decided to use my private health care to get some intensive treatment and actually go in somewhere. Has anyone ever 'gone away' for a bit? I think that it's my only option seeing someone from week to week won't work for me been there done that. I want to get better for real this time and something a bit more intense seems to be the route I will take. Sick of the paralyzing anxiety and overwhelming despair.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #223
Хлоэ
God gave us Rock'n'Roll

Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute Хлоэ has a reputation beyond repute

seems like meds don't help me much
plus i dont have a will at all, zero motivation, what the hell is wrong with me? i want to overcome all this depression but i somehow stop halfway through everything
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #224
country flag Sam L
blue swan

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I find meditation helps. You have to learn to focus your mental energies on something else.

In the mood for love of Clio & Urania
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #225
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Хлоэ View Post
seems like meds don't help me much
plus i dont have a will at all, zero motivation, what the hell is wrong with me? i want to overcome all this depression but i somehow stop halfway through everything
Hope you are doing better

I am also going through a "black phase" at the moment, hopefully it goes away soon Am I a bad person for going to church only when feeling down or when sick? I am thinking of going to church tomorrow
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote