Is Safina done? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #46
country flag Rolling-Thunder

Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future Rolling-Thunder has a brilliant future
Re: Is Safina done?

Safina on clay was much better than Sharapova. Her problem was in her head. A lot of Russian players seem afflicted by the same thing.
Rolling-Thunder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #47
country flag Tennisstar86

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
oh look, another one who loves embarrasing himself.
nope, just one that doesnt flip flop. As someone pointed out. Shes not a threat anymore so everyone loves her. but I remember when she was #1 w/ no slam. you couldn't find a Safina fan. TF cracks me up.

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #48
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

I think peak Safina might possibly have a higher level of play on clay than Maria, but the match-up would favour Maria - just like Stosur, Safina's forehands would bounce up right into Maria's strike zone. Also, Safina wasn't a first strike player, her gamestyle was more "attritionally aggressive" and she won her points in relatively long rallies, and Maria established herself this year as an impeccable claycourt rallyer who would be able to keep up with Safina in that aspect.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #49
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
I think peak Safina might possibly have a higher level of play on clay than Maria, but the match-up would favour Maria - just like Stosur, Safina's forehands would bounce up right into Maria's strike zone. Also, Safina wasn't a first strike player, her gamestyle was more "attritionally aggressive" and she won her points in relatively long rallies, and Maria established herself this year as an impeccable claycourt rallyer who would be able to keep up with Safina in that aspect.
That's what makes Maria's chokes against Safina so strange.
Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #50
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86 View Post
nope, just one that doesnt flip flop. As someone pointed out. Shes not a threat anymore so everyone loves her. but I remember when she was #1 w/ no slam. you couldn't find a Safina fan. TF cracks me up.
nope, your reasoning how she gave up and quit is a joke. And yeah of course you remember, your kind were spewing most shit back then.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #51

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
nope, your reasoning how she gave up and quit is a joke. And yeah of course you remember, your kind were spewing most shit back then.
actually, I never rooted against her. The only players I've strongly disliked (on the womens tour) are Henin/ Wozniaki and Ana. (and Capriati, but I wasnt posting here back then). My reasoning of how she gave up and quit is a joke? lol No. actually it makes perfect sense. She was losing a lot. got injured and walked away. Everyone knows those injuries hurt a lot more when you're losing and not winning. Look at Serena, Sharapova, Venus. All got injured when they were playing well. If you were on top when you got injured it makes the drive to come back even more. If you were losing when you got injured, chances are you were already disliking the game.

Lets look at some other players. Hingis for instance. She was already "losing" (by her standards at least) foot problems, so she walked away. Look at Henin's second career. Yes, she made the finals of the AO when she came back, but after that her comeback was very below her standards. She was injured the next year so she retired. Its a lot easier to walk away from the game if you're losing before you got injured. Anyone who has played knows this.

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #52
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
actually, I never rooted against her. The only players I've strongly disliked (on the womens tour) are Henin/ Wozniaki and Ana. (and Capriati, but I wasnt posting here back then). My reasoning of how she gave up and quit is a joke? lol No. actually it makes perfect sense. She was losing a lot. got injured and walked away. Everyone knows those injuries hurt a lot more when you're losing and not winning. Look at Serena, Sharapova, Venus. All got injured when they were playing well. If you were on top when you got injured it makes the drive to come back even more. If you were losing when you got injured, chances are you were already disliking the game.

Lets look at some other players. Hingis for instance. She was already "losing" (by her standards at least) foot problems, so she walked away. Look at Henin's second career. Yes, she made the finals of the AO when she came back, but after that her comeback was very below her standards. She was injured the next year so she retired. Its a lot easier to walk away from the game if you're losing before you got injured. Anyone who has played knows this.
How was she losing? She was still #1 in the world with four Premier event titles, three Slam finals, and an Olympic silver medal in the last 15 months. She went from reaching at least 8 of 9 semifinals in her previous tournaments in 2009 to struggling and losing to nobodies like Rogowoska, Barrois, Zhang and Chang in a span of four weeks. If you had actually followed her comeback attempts, you´d have seen the actual physical pain she went through in a lot of her matches, sweating heavily, having trouble to walk and breath. That is what a severe lower back problem will do to you. So spare us your hobby psychology BS.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #53
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Nope, still a joke.
Its pretty clear you have no idea about Safina´s character or what happened.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
That's what makes Maria's chokes against Safina so strange.
Maria choked because it was the only slam she didnt have. Its why Serena choked this year and every year at the french open. Shes got one, but its the only one she doesnt have more than one of. Kind of why I wouldnt be surprised if she choked at the Olympics as well.....Either of them to be honest.

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #55
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

I still think she's far better than Wozniacki and Jankovic. I think her game is not an issue, its her mentality that really demolished her. She also had it worse out of the 3 slamless no. 1's because she has Serena on her back, while the other two didn't have that. I alwyas hated when she is compared to the same league as Jankovic and Wozniacki, they had an on-and-off Serena and Clijsters.

Safina>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wozniacki>>>>>>Jankovic
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #56
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Serena fan but when Safina was Number 1 she reached the semifinals of all slams, she reached the semifinals of 2008 US Open and 2009 WImbledon, Finals of 2009 Aussie and 2009 French, she was a premier mandatory and 3 premier 5 events. Not even Sharapova or Azarenka was able to achieve that. Even more Jankovic and Wozniacki. At the very least she wasn't vulturing minor events.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
How was she losing? She was still #1 in the world with four Premier event titles, three Slam finals, and an Olympic silver medal in the last 15 months. She went from reaching at least 8 of 9 semifinals in her previous tournaments in 2009 to struggling and losing to nobodies like Rogowoska, Barrois, Zhang and Chang in a span of four weeks. If you had actually followed her comeback attempts, you´d have seen the actual physical pain she went through in a lot of her matches, sweating heavily, having trouble to walk and breath. That is what a severe lower back problem will do to you. So spare us your hobby psychology BS.
the same way Ivanovic did. the pressure of winning/ not winning got to her. Safina didnt injure her back until 2010. Could she play well? yes. but her game was one note and once she got into her own head it was over.

Look at all these girls that get to #1 who shouldnt without winning a slam. Eventually it catches up to them and all of a sudden they start having these random losses. Jankovic/ Safina/ now Wozniaki. (even Ana even though she got a slam) The difference between safina and the others is she got injured while she was on her downward spirel.

Yes, Could Safina come back and play lights out and get back to top 10? sure. The pressure of being on top took her out before that injury did though.

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
I still think she's far better than Wozniacki and Jankovic. I think her game is not an issue, its her mentality that really demolished her. She also had it worse out of the 3 slamless no. 1's because she has Serena on her back, while the other two didn't have that. I alwyas hated when she is compared to the same league as Jankovic and Wozniacki, they had an on-and-off Serena and Clijsters.

Safina>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wozniacki>>>>>>Jankovic
true, but you could also say thats what puts her below them. It was clearly a mental thing. She checked out in those slam finals. Whereas as Jankovic (who as you said had an on/ off Serena....) actually played Serena in a slam final and took it to her. Of the three of them, shes the one who SHOULD have won the slam final she was in

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #59
C. Drone
CFO

Quote:
the same way Ivanovic did. the pressure of winning/ not winning got to her. Safina didnt injure her back until 2010. Could she play well? yes. but her game was one note and once she got into her own head it was over.

Look at all these girls that get to #1 who shouldnt without winning a slam. Eventually it catches up to them and all of a sudden they start having these random losses. Jankovic/ Safina/ now Wozniaki. (even Ana even though she got a slam) The difference between safina and the others is she got injured while she was on her downward spirel.

Yes, Could Safina come back and play lights out and get back to top 10? sure. The pressure of being on top took her out before that injury did though.
are you that ignorant? the retirement at YEC never happened or what?
You can check old pictures or highlights, she was wearing pressure shorts since at least Cincinnati-2009. Even if she wasnt talking about it at that time, later she admitted she had problems since that summer.

your whole BS makes no sense.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #60
C. Drone
CFO

not to mention this idiocy with the "chokes". Her main problem was that 90% of top players were awful match up for her. She was a grinder in mind stuck in a huge body. Thats just doesnt work, and any player with some brain or some weaopns could have trouble her.
She had many bad moments on court due to her brain, but most of them had nothing to do with "choke".