Angie: Interviews, Tweets and Articles! - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #16
country flag xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father

xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of
Re: Angie: Interviews, Tweets and Video Appearances

Video: "Petko" und Kerber: Kleider machen Leute, Olympia 2012

http://admin.brightcove.com/viewer/u...0&wmode=opaque
xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #17
country flag silesia

silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold

This is not available outside of Germany, so here's for all:

and zdf-sportstudio:

silesia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #18

xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by silesia View Post
This is not available outside of Germany, so here's for all:
Danke. (Die YouTube-Varianten gab es zum Zeitpunkt meiner Posts noch nicht)
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #19

Her sovereignty on court is inversely proportional to her interviews.

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxxxHoly Father : Jul 24th, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #20

Old Jul 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #21

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #22
country flag CillyUltra

CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute

Report on German breakfast TV

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitr...t-Bodenhaftung
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #23
country flag silesia

silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold silesia is a splendid one to behold

Tennis World: http://www.tennisworldusa.org/An-exc...icolo5205.html

An exclusive interview with Angelique Kerber

01 Aug 2012 - 22:31 / by David Cox

Twelve months ago Angelique Kerber was on the verge of quitting tennis for good
Now she’s inside the world’s top ten and a contender for an Olympic medal. David Cox caught up with her at London 2012.

Women’s tennis has seen some extraordinary renaissance stories over the past decade – Kim Clijsters‘ triumph at the 2009 US Open will stick long in the memory, coming as it did, just a month into her comeback after the birth of her first child. Justine Henin and Martina Hingis also found a way back to the top of the game after taking time out.

However while we all knew those girls had the talent and the mentalities to cut it at the very highest level, we’ve rarely seen someone completely reinvent themselves midway through their career. Twelve months ago I was courtside at Wimbledon to watch a 23 year old Kerber lose in three sets to British wildcard Laura Robson. While Robson received deserved plaudits for showing the tenacity to close out a match which had been on her racket for the best part of two hours, us British hacks would have been bitterly disappointed if she’d lost. In our eyes, Kerber was a journeywoman, a player with no obvious weaknesses but no obvious strengths either, lacking that crucial X factor to take her to the top 50 and beyond. Only Robson’s visible nerves and inexperience had prevented her enjoying a far more routine win.

If someone had told me that twelve months on, the left-hander would be entrenched in the top ten after reaching two Grand Slam semi-finals I’d have asked what they were taking. But perhaps the key to Kerber’s success lies in her reaction after that first round Wimbledon defeat. Many players ranked 70 odd in the world would have been content with the prize money and moved on. But Kerber wanted more. Unsatisfied with perennial early exits in the slams, she initially considered quitting the game for good.

“I did seriously consider quitting tennis in the weeks after Wimbledon last year. I spent some days at home weighing up the pros and cons,” she says. “At that point I’d lost like 11 or 12 tournaments first round. I took a break and had three weeks practice before I went to New York. I think this was the tournament that changed everything for me. I had nothing to lose. My goal was just to win one round. I won one round. Then, I don't know, I beat [Agnieszka] Radwanska and [Flavia] Pennetta and after this I really started to believe in me.”
“I started realizing that playing tennis is what I want more than anything else. I knew I had to make drastic changes. I started to practise more and more and made good preparations for the 2012 season. I couldn’t be happier about the decisions I eventually ended up taking and where it has led me so far.”

“Obviously many things have changed and it seems unreal that the odds can change this drastically within a short period of time. The way I look at it, it’s a great example of how self-belief and hard work pays off in the end.”

Kerber’s story is a real inspiration to all those players who dream of one day mixing it with the stars at the slams. But what’s changed ? I’ve seen her in action a few times this year, at the Paris Indoors (which she won, beating Maria Sharapova along the way), in Copenhagen and of course at Wimbledon. The basic foundations of her game are still there, she’s always been very solid and a tough competitor but her court coverage has improved immensely and she’s far more effective offensively. The lefty forehand is now a real weapon and the double hander isn’t bad either. This is certainly a by-product of the new confidence she has in her game but also perhaps a greater realisation that to make it to the top of the game, you need to be able to dictate play. Being durable in the rallies will cut it in the ITF events but to move through the top 100 you have to be capable of stepping up the court.

Kerber is quick to attribute the hours spent in the gym last December to her success this season. "It’s absolutely required to be at the top of your game, especially physically, to compete at this level,” she says. “Improving my fitness has been my main focus. I concentrated a lot on this during the off-season and I continue working hard on it. It’s crucial to surviving week by week on tour and staying healthy. “

And her success has also brought unexpected rewards, such as being able to compete in the Olympics. German tennis is enjoying a new golden era with Sabine Lisicki, Andrea Petkovic, Julia Goerges and Mona Barthel all enjoying significant ranking rises of late and with each country restricted to nominating a maximum of four players, Kerber looked unlikely to qualify for the Games a year ago. Now, after her Wimbledon run, a medal is a distinct possibility.

“The Olympics are more than special for me,” she beams. “It’s not a usual tennis tournament, it stands way above it. Throughout the year, I compete in many tournaments all over the world, but being part of the Olympic tournament has been a dream for me ever since I can imagine. I’m very excited to be here, being part of it all and enjoying every moment.”

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #24
country flag silesia

Angelique Kerber's Cincinnati Blog: Monday

CINCINNATI, OH, USA - It has been a dream last 12 months for Angelique Kerber, going from outside the Top 100 last summer to now firmly established in the Top 10. She has the most match wins on the WTA this season and now writes her very first WTA Player Blog from the Western & Southern Open.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Hello everyone and welcome to my first WTA blog

Now that the US Open is coming, people have been asking me what the last year has been like for me. A year ago I was back home in Germany, training and preparing for Dallas. I wasn't here in Cincinnati. I wasn't in the Top 100.

A lot has changed since then. Now I'm a different player on the court - I focus on what I have to do and I always give my best. I always try to forget the point that just finished and only focus on the next one. My concentration is much better now and I have more confidence and self-belief on the court.

But, I'm still the same person - the same Angelique - as one year ago

I came here from Montréal, and it really rained a lot there - I don't know how many hours I spent in the players lounge each day! I flew here yesterday and got here about 4 or 5pm. It was a long trip because our flight from Chicago to Cincy was delayed. My bags didn't make the trip - they came around 1 or 2am.

Because it was raining so much in Montréal and because the forecast for Cincy said there was a zero chance of rain, I made a bet with my coach on the plane about the weather here - he said it wouldn't rain. And of course today, right when we came here, there was a rain delay - so I won the bet! So we're going to the restaurant of my choice for dinner and he's paying for it. I haven't decided yet...

I'm really looking forward to this tournament. It's only my second time here. I'm playing Timea Babos in my first match tomorrow, and we just played at the Olympics, in the first or second round. She's tough - we'll see how it goes.

I'm going to get my free dinner now so I'll talk to you all again tomorrow!

Lots of love,

Angie

Send your questions in for Angelique by clicking here!

http://www.wtatennis.com/blog/201208...257191_2880580

Last edited by silesia : Aug 14th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #25
country flag silesia

Angelique Kerber's Cincinnati Blog: Tuesday

CINCINNATI, OH, USA - It has been a dream last 12 months for Angelique Kerber, going from outside the Top 100 last summer to now firmly established in the Top 10. She has the most match wins on the WTA this season and now writes her very first WTA Player Blog from the Western & Southern Open.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hello again everybody

I'll start from the beginning today... First I obviously woke up, then I went to breakfast with my coach, had a 30 minute warm-up and went to the physio - I go to the physio before every match and tape both ankles. Then my pre-match warm-up. I was second on, and the first match on my court was very hard. I was watching it on live scores - usually when there's one set left I go to warm up...

I played Timea Babos today and she played very well in the first set. I didn't feel like I was playing my best in the beginning, but I just tried to be focused and wait for my chances, and then I won the second and third sets. It has been tough to transition from grass to hardcourts, but I'm improving. We were on grass for so long, and I still need to feel the hardcourts again. But it's great I'm getting so many matches right now before going to New York.

One exciting thing was today was my 50th win of the year - it's unbelievable. Last year at this time I don't know how many matches I won, 10 maybe, so this is just amazing. If somebody told me some months ago I would have this many, I don't know what I would say. It's just a great feeling. And I was just told I'm the first player this year to get to 50 too... I didn't even realize that!

But this isn't the last tournament of the year... we'll see how many I can get!

I really want to thank everyone for their support - everyone who has helped me and of course all of you, the fans - you have all been so great

After the match I had some press of course, then treatment and a massage. Then I came back to the hotel. I played some cards with my coach and we went to dinner too, and since then I've just been chilling in my room. Right now I'm just watching some German soaps and I'm pretty much ready to go to bed!

Oh and last night I got my free dinner, but in the end it wasn't so expensive for my coach - it was just a salad (a great salad!) and a drink.

Tomorrow I have a day off from matches so I'm going to practice twice, get some treatment, then... I don't know. We'll see what's going on tomorrow.

And I look forward to answering some of your questions tomorrow!

Have a good night,

Angie

Send your questions in for Angelique by clicking here!

http://www.wtatennis.com/blog/201208...257191_2883218
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #26
country flag silesia

Angelique Kerber answers fan questions during live Twitter chat at Cincinnati:

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #27
country flag silesia

Angelique Kerber's Cincinnati Blog: Wednesday

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hi everyone!

I didn't have a match today but I was still pretty busy - here's what I did...

I woke up at 7:30am, went early to the courts and ate breakfast there. Then I practiced at 9am for one and a half hours with my coach. Then I went back to the hotel and my sleep continued I trained again at 1pm with Sam (that being Sam Stosur!) We played some very good points. It was a very nice hit. Then some physio, treatment and everything, then lunch, and back to the hotel - it was my first time in a while getting back to the hotel so early... in Montréal last week it was usually much later because of all the rain delays!

I chilled at the hotel for a while reading a book, then later I went to the mall. And of course I bought nail polish - that's what I do every time I go shopping! I like every kind of nail polish. I have every color. Lately I've been buying neon, like pink and green, but I like all different colors. I like changing my nails a lot - you can see in the picture above what I had at the Olympics My sister has a cosmetics studio and when I'm at home she does my nails. I really enjoy it.

It's always fun to go shopping, or anything to take my mind off of tennis. If I think about tennis all day, I'm done after two or three days - I'm just dead.

Anyway, later we went to dinner at the Thai restaurant, then I came back to the hotel again, and here I am now I'm going to bed soon because I'm playing first tomorrow at 11am. It will be a tough match so I have to be ready.

Now I'll answer some of your questions!

Take care and I'll talk to you again tomorrow,

Angie

How was the experience of playing for Germany at the Olympics? Mark
Amazing. It was always a dream for me to play the Olympics. One year ago there was no chance I'd play them; now I did, and it was unbelievable. It wasn't the same as other tournaments - there we were all together, and I went to the opening ceremony, which was one of the best feelings I've ever had in my life.

Have you ever lost a bet to your coach? Kevin, Germany
I lose sometimes, but when I do I never talk about it! But really, when I do, I buy the dinner, or sometimes ice cream... but I have to say, any of the bets that have to do with physical things like jumping or something, I usually win.

Which players on the tour are good friends of yours? Hannah, Germany
I am very friendly with the Polish players, also Caroline, but I'm close with the German players too, like Andrea - I practice a lot with her. Anna-Lena, Julia and Mona are good friends. I can't pick just one best friend though!

What are the best and worst aspects about life on tour? Jeffrey, France
Well I really enjoy travelling to different countries, seeing different traditions and cultures, and meeting people from all over the world. And I also love playing tennis - I love my job. That's a very good thing! The worst thing is I don't see my friends and family back home too much. And of course all of the flying and waiting around at airports isn't really that much fun!

http://www.wtatennis.com/blog/201208...257191_2886504
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #28
country flag silesia

Angelique Kerber's Cincinnati Blog: Thursday

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hello again everybody

I played my match early today, which was good actually, because it was so hot! And I usually like playing the first or second match so it was fine. It was a very tough match - Andrea Hlavackova plays very well. She made so many winners today, sometimes I really had no chance. In the second set she was 5-2 or 4-1 up in the tie-break - it was a tough ending, but I'm happy I took it.

I was finished quite early today, and the rest of the day I've just been chilling out. I had a massage, went to swim in the pool for about 20 minutes because it was so hot outside, went early to dinner and after that played a bit of cards and backgammon. That's about it. I've been doing a lot of relaxing...

Tomorrow I'm playing against Serena, and I'm really looking forward to it. I don't know the last time I played her - it was some years ago. She is having such a great season - she hasn't even lost a match since the French Open.

I have nothing to lose. It's my first time in the quarterfinals here, which is great, and I've had such a great season, so everything I do right now is just a bonus for me. But I'm going to try my best. I know I need to be 100% focused from the first point until the last point, and I need to take every chance I get from her - I know I'll just get a few chances during the match. But I believe in me and know I can beat the top players, so we'll see what the score will be at the end!

Now I'll answer a few more questions then it's time for bed...

Goodnight

Angie

Which part of your game do you work on the most? Stevie, Ireland
I'm working on a lot of things right now, actually. My serve, my baseline shots, and also my fitness. I'm trying to get my fitness better and better. For sure it's better than last year, but I can improve more. I think it's always very good to have some things to practice, work hard at and improve on.

How do you motivate yourself before a match? Rixie, USA
Before a match I listen to music and try to really think about nothing before I go on court except my game plan. It doesn't matter what is happening around me - I just try to concentrate on the match coming up, and everything else that's going on can wait until after the match! As for the music I listen to, it's always something to relax me, but also motivate me to go out there and do my best.

Are you thinking of the WTA Championships in Istanbul? Mert, Turkey
I've had this question a lot lately! And I really think it's still a far way for me. Of course it would be really nice to be in Istanbul at the end of the year, but my goal is always just to go to my next tournament and play the best I can. If I eventually get to Istanbul it will be great, but we will see. It's a long way.

What is your favorite card game? Matt
I like Rummy! And there's a game that uses different cards, called SKIP-BO.

http://www.wtatennis.com/blog/201208...257191_2887558
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #29
country flag CillyUltra

CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute

Cincinnati, 17.08.2012

Press Conference

After beating Serena Williams in the quarter-final of the 2012 Western & Southern Open.

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

May 2011 you were ranked 71 in the world; now you're 7 in the world and you just beat Serena to advance to the semis here in Cincinnati. Can you elaborate on how far you've come in the last year and a half?
Yeah, I mean, I have actually nothing to lose today. I mean, the year is, it's unbelievable for me from the last years. So, yeah, I mean, it's changed a lot. I have a lot more confidence than last year and I improved more, so right now I think that I am other tennis player than I was last year. I enjoy my game. I mean, today it was one of my biggest wins in my career, for sure. Yeah, it's amazing to be in the semis here.

You have beaten Venus and Serena pretty close together in the last few weeks. I mean, talk about that. That's quite an achievement.
Yeah, I mean, I'm actually not thinking about who was my opponent and who is on the other side. So of course I beat both of them in the last, I don't know, four weeks. Yeah, for sure it's a great feeling because they are both so great players and won so many Grand Slams in the past. They still playing so well. Yeah, I mean, it's great that I could beat both of them. Yeah.

Has it gotten to the point where you're no longer surprised by these results? You've won a lot this year.
Yeah, I won a lot. Yeah, I mean, the tournament is still going. Of course, I mean, I'm not surprised, but I'm very proud about this, that I won this match. And also in two sets. I mean, like I say, I had nothing to lose. I enjoy the match, and my goal was just give my best and try to hit the ball and, yeah, move very well and get the balls back from her because they are so fast. So, yeah, and I tried my plan and it works.

I don't know if you're playing New Haven next week, but I know Andrea Petkovic is going to be back. How much have you missed your teammate the last couple months? What's it going to mean to have her back on tour?
Yeah, I miss her a lot. Not every day, but every week we are still in contact. I know she had a very hard last months with the injury and everything, but I'm sure she's coming back right now stronger than in the past. So, yeah, I'm happy for her that she's back right now. I'm sure she will, yeah, she will be back very soon and play very great from the first tournament.

Is there room for both of you in the top 10?
For sure. (Smiling.) I think so.

What's your favorite thing to do in New York City during the Open?
I go shopping. (Laughter.)

Where to?
Tiffany's. No, I mean, New York, everything starts there for me last year and I had such a great memories there, so I'm really looking forward to go there, play the US Open, and try to play very well there. Yeah, I had now a lot of good matches before, so I will go there with a lot of confidence and with great feelings. Yeah, I'm looking forward.

Do you remember when you first came to New York, the first time that you were ever there?
It was long time ago. I remember that I was with my coach with which I practice right now, and I was one out from the quallies and didn't get in. So I remember my first time in New York.

Was that as a junior or pros?
I think when I was 16 or 17. My ranking was like 200-something. I was one out to get to the quallies and nobody withdraw, so I was one out. Yeah. I had like three days New York and then go back to Germany, so it was not so nice.

Playing someone like Serena, do you have to make a conscious effort to tell yourself, It's just a tennis match, it's not Serena on the other side of the net?
Yes, for sure. I go out there, and I go out there and not thinking that it's Serena on the other side. That's just the opponent and not thinking about her, just thinking about me and try to make my plan what I make with my coach, yeah, and do it.

What's the difference between playing Serena and Venus?
Oh, I don't know. They hit both very good serve, and if they hit the balls, you have no chance to get them. I think they are play similarly. I don't know. They play both very well.

You were saying that you went into the match thinking that you didn't have anything to lose. You're the winningest player on tour; she had a 19-match winning streak. Why do you feel like you don't have anything to lose when you play against Serena?
Because she won the Wimbledon, she won the Olympics, and, I mean, she won everything, I think. Yeah, I had nothing to lose. I think she was the favorite, not me. So that's why I told me I have nothing to lose. I think also I feel better to say to me I have nothing to lose than to go out there and say, Yeah, you need to win. So I say better, You have nothing to lose.

I know players tell the media that I have nothing to lose, but is that something that inside you have to force yourself to think it?
No, not really. If I say I have nothing to lose, I go out there and just try, have fun, enjoy my match, and really try to play very well and show the people also that I can play very well. Yeah.

Serena said that when she's not the favorite, she actually gets angry. She feels like she should be, and people should expect her to win. Do you ever get annoyed, given your track record for the year, that maybe sometimes you're not the favorite when actually you should be?
Maybe, but right now I'm not thinking about this. No.

Could you tell us a little bit about your coach? You just mentioned that he was with you at the beginning of your career and then you have different coaches and then he get back. How much he contributed to your success?
A lot. I think he was my first coach if I got to the WTA Tour. Then I had like some years a lot of more coaches, but right now I'm back with him. And, yeah, I mean, I feel very great with him. He show me what I'm doing right now and talk to me about game plan and everything, so I'm very proud that I'm with him, I can work with him. Yeah.

Before the Open, you played the tournament in Dallas and you were in the finals and lost to...
Semifinals, Rezai.

So what's your expectation?
I don't know. I mean, I'm not thinking right now about Dallas. I'm still here in the semis right now, and I'm focused

Who would you like to see? If you reach the final, who would you like to see in the final?
I don't know. First I need to play the semis, and that's for me right now the important things. Yeah, before this match I actually didn't know against who I play in the semis. I know right now that it's Kvitova or Pavlyuchenkova. I don't know.

Did you and your coach think about your goals for the US Open?
My goals are still the same. I mean, my goals are to going out there and try to play my game. You know, just enjoy to come back to NewYork with all the great memories I had last year and show that I can play maybe better than last year. But I mean, I go there and just try to play round by round, and we will see how far I got. So just play my game.

Will you write another blog today?
Yes, I will do.

http://assets.usta.com/assets/663/15...-_08.17.12.pdf
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #30
country flag CillyUltra