London 2012 - Mission: Olympic Glory & Career Golden Slam! - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 7th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #151
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: London 2012 - Mission: Olympic Glory & Career Golden Slam!

It's actually only 685 ranking points for winning the Olympics.....yet another example of how fucked-up the ranking system is, they try to have us believe that winning the China Open is a bigger achievement than winning a gold medal
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 7th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #152
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Since this has become our new chat thread, I want to say this to all my fellow Masha fans. I feel so ashamed!

I'm so sorry for not returning some your good reps, because I simply had no idea how that thing worked and I just learnt how to use it! I took me a couple of months!

Back on topic... Do we have a picture of Maria's OG dress already?

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #153
country flag perseus2006
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
It's actually only 685 ranking points for winning the Olympics.....yet another example of how fucked-up the ranking system is, they try to have us believe that winning the China Open is a bigger achievement than winning a gold medal
Maybe you should think a bit deeper and things won't be so fucked up. Olympic points cannot be defended. It's a one-off tournament. So, the points given for Olympic Glory need to be in moderation so as not to destroy a player's ranking next year when Olympic points dissipate into thin air.

The China Open is an annual event. Points can be defended one year to the next under the same tournament conditions.

I don't recall the discussion about giving points for Olympic competition. I have questions why the decision was made to do that and I doubt there is a player on the roster that is participating because of the points. Just participating in the Olympic Games is Honor and Glory enough, regardless of medals and points.

You are raging all over the TF boards about the Ranking System and making some wildly outrageous assertions about it. The current WTA Ranking System is actually pretty darn good. I suggest you read through the Rules in the WTA site for a better understanding of why the system works the way it does.

The main thrust of the System is to get the Best players competing against one another at as many tournaments as possible to encourage long term rivalries, which makes the game more exciting for fans and will force the best players to really sharpen up their games. So, while many tournaments are now mandatory, others are off limits to the Top 10/20 to discourage MM Queens.
perseus2006 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #154
country flag joćo.
;

joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute

I want her to either win the Olympics, USO or YEC No pressure though, career grand slam: check
joćo. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #155
country flag perseus2006
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute perseus2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joćo. View Post
I want her to either win the Olympics, USO or YEC No pressure though, career grand slam: check
I don't need much. Never one to be greedy. Always operate close in to the vest, grounded in reality. But, What I want is a different proposition. I want her to win all three! And for shits and skittles, throw in Montreal, Cinci, Tokyo and Beijing. That's what I want!

*smiles*
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #156
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe you should think a bit deeper and things won't be so fucked up. Olympic points cannot be defended.
who cares about defending points next year? Do you really think that players consider " Oh, No , I don't want 1500 points from Olympics because it will raise my ranking by 5 positions, thus i'd better take 650 points and increase my ranking only by 1 postion, Otherwise next year I won't be able do defend these points and it would be a disastrer"

In reality Olympic Champion should get a bonus for his performance and the fact that these points will be dropped in year doesn't have any significance ,

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #157
country flag perseus2006
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
who cares about defending points next year? Do you really think that players consider " Oh, No , I don't want 1500 points from Olympics because it will raise my ranking by 5 positions, thus i'd better take 650 points and increase my ranking only by 1 postion, Otherwise next year I won't be able do defend these points and it would be a disastrer"

In reality Olympic Champion should get a bonus for his performance and the fact that these points will be dropped in year doesn't have any significance ,
As I said, I don't think there is a player on the Olympic Roster that has even had a thought that points are given for participation, well, maybe Serenka. The fact that there are points is insignificant!

Participation in the Olympic Games Spectacle is the ultimate experience for an athlete. It is an incredible honor to be selected to represent your country and associate with the world's most gifted athletes from all fields. Being there as a participant is simply glorious.
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #158
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus2006 View Post
As I said, I don't think there is a player on the Olympic Roster that has even had a thought that points are given for participation, well, maybe Serenka. The fact that there are points is insignificant!

Participation in the Olympic Games Spectacle is the ultimate experience for an athlete. It is an incredible honor to be selected to represent your country and associate with the world's most gifted athletes from all fields. Being there as a participant is simply glorious.
This.
And even if the points are "only" 685, Olympic Gold is above every other tournament except Majors.
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #159
Mrs. Dimitrova
#CareerSlamPova

Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
This post....

If you get 2000 points for winning Olympics then how the hell will you defend 2000 points the year after?
Mrs. Dimitrova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #160
Mrs. Dimitrova
#CareerSlamPova

Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post

Yes. To some it has a big significance. It can determine whether you'll be seeded at tournaments or not. How do you know what players think? Don't assume. You're not considering the lower ranked players at all.
Mrs. Dimitrova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #161
country flag **mashafierce**

**mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all

I would prefer a silver or a bronze medal and the USO title than a gold
**mashafierce** is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #162
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by **mashafierce** View Post
I would prefer a silver or a bronze medal and the USO title than a gold
I totally agree with you! I know the importance of a Gold medal, Olympics and playing for your country. But I'd prefer Slam number 5 for Maria!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #163
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus2006 View Post
Maybe you should think a bit deeper and things won't be so fucked up. Olympic points cannot be defended. It's a one-off tournament. So, the points given for Olympic Glory need to be in moderation so as not to destroy a player's ranking next year when Olympic points dissipate into thin air.

The China Open is an annual event. Points can be defended one year to the next under the same tournament conditions.

I don't recall the discussion about giving points for Olympic competition. I have questions why the decision was made to do that and I doubt there is a player on the roster that is participating because of the points. Just participating in the Olympic Games is Honor and Glory enough, regardless of medals and points.

You are raging all over the TF boards about the Ranking System and making some wildly outrageous assertions about it. The current WTA Ranking System is actually pretty darn good. I suggest you read through the Rules in the WTA site for a better understanding of why the system works the way it does.

The main thrust of the System is to get the Best players competing against one another at as many tournaments as possible to encourage long term rivalries, which makes the game more exciting for fans and will force the best players to really sharpen up their games. So, while many tournaments are now mandatory, others are off limits to the Top 10/20 to discourage MM Queens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teerin View Post
This post....

If you get 2000 points for winning Olympics then how the hell will you defend 2000 points the year after?
I'm sorry, the "defending points" argument is AWFUL You say it like "the winner doesn't get a chance to defend their points" - but, after the 1-year period, it's not like they'll have less points than they otherwise would - they'll have simply been boosted in their ranking points for the 1 year after the Olympics (and rightly so), but once the points drop off, they'll still have the same amount of points than they would if the Olympics gave less/no points.

Imo, they should either not give any points for the Olympics atall (if they're going by the argument that a Gold is reward enough in itself and there shouldn't be ranking points aswell), or they should do it properly and make the points actually reflect the Olympics' significance for the players, i.e. the same amount of points for a Gold medal as a YEC win (1500 points). Like I said, as of now, the ranking system tries to have us believe it's less significant than the China Open, when in reality players consider it the year's 5th Slam. And let's face it, at the end of the year, in the GM debates about who the best player of the year is, posters WILL be using the Olympic Gold as an argument, they certainly won't be using the China Open as part of an argument for a player being the best of the year
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #164
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

There are some sports for which Olympic Games have not the same prestige and significance like for many other sports. Football and tennis are such sports. Any tennis tournament with 64 players is stronger than the Olympic tennis tournament.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #165
country flag **mashafierce**

**mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all **mashafierce** is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
There are some sports for which Olympic Games have not the same prestige and significance like for many other sports. Football and tennis are such sports. Any tennis tournament with 64 players is stronger than the Olympic tennis tournament.
I totally agree.As I said for me Grand Slam titles are much more important for Maria's legacy than olympic medals.But either one of them is welcome
**mashafierce** is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote