Are today's WTA teenagers breaking through? - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #106
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future
Re: Today's teenagers breaking through

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post

Special mention to Ana Konjuh, who won the Australian Open Juniors, becoming the first 15-year-old since Svitolina to win a Junior Slam.

It will be interesting to see how the teens progress over the course of the next year and if any new faces emerge.
Ash Barty was 15 when she won Junior Wimbledon in 2011.

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #107
country flag iPatty
Kvitova + Djokovic 2013

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Fan View Post
Ash Barty was 15 when she won Junior Wimbledon in 2011.
More recently than that, Taylor Townsend was 15 when she won the AO last year.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #108
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are today's WTA teenagers breaking through?

95-97 Generation seem to be the best
I don't think much of 98 Generation, but I think 99 Generation will be very good
I think some of the 97 players are way over ranked though like Bencic

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #109
country flag DevilishAttitude

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, have corrected the error now, thought Barty and Townsend were both 16.

I wonder if players such as Townsend will feature this year. Although the 95-96 generation seems to have a couple of players with big potential, the gap between the highest ranked and the rest outside the Top 250 is already huge.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #110
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
I wish people would drop this statement, like she was the first and youngest to ever win a Slam

I NEVER hear of Serena, "Yeah, she won the US Open at just 17!"

Never heard this with Martina Hingis, "Wimbledon at 16!" or Monica "8 Slams by 19!"
When Hingis won Wimbledon at the age of 16, I remember seeing a cover of UK newspaper saying this:

Wins Wimbledon 16. What is next.

babsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #111

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thing about Sharapova's win was that it wasn't expected. Everyone was expecting her to be comfortably beaten by Serena and that she wasn't ready to win slams at that stage of her career. Also she did it at Wimbledon, which is THE tennis tournament. While everyone knew age wouldn't be a barrier in the era Hingis and Serena won slams, even in 2004 it was considered unlikely that a 17-year-old would win majors.

Although Stephens reached the SF of Australia last week as a 19-year-old, it would have been an even bigger shock than when Maria won. It's almost inconceivable that a teenager would win a slam these days. Whether that's due to the game being more physical than it used to be or the newcomers simply not being at the same standard as they previously were is up for debate, but even though there seems be a small and growing resurgence of teens on tour currently, pretty much none of them look like slam winners at this stage of their careers.
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #112

Yulia Putintseva becomes the second player from 1995 to reach Top 100. Although her on-court temperment is far more known than her game, it's a forgotten fact that at one point last year she was ranked higher than everyone born in 1994, let alone 1995.

In other news from the teenagers last week, Mladenovic reached the SF's of Paris, beating Kvitova along the way. Kumkhum won a match in Pattaya City. In the challengers, Svitolina won in Eliat, and Kremen, who reached the SF, has also now reached Top 250.

One player who is now not a teen is Michelle Larcher de Brito. After being the first player from 1993 to break through, her career since is very much a warning that success at first doesn't mean it will long-term, has she remains stagnant in the #115-150 mark. Will the others avoid her plight or have the same problems as her. Only time will tell..
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #113

Elina Svitolina becomes the third player from 1994 to reach Top 100. Won one of the rather obscure WTA 125 events at the end of last year and has been playing steadily since.

Two of the 1993'ers who have had their careers blighted by injury have also made a return to the Top 250 in Diyas and Tomljanovic.

Putintseva falls back outside the Top 100.

From other results last week for the teens, Stephens, Babos, Garcia and Gavrilova all won a match in Doha, while Putintseva qualified for it.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #114
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

^ This post feels curiously dated.
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #115

I know I always update it when a teen wins a WTA tournament or a player reaches a ranking milestone but didn't have chance to do it until now and with everything that's happened in the past couple of hours it feels like the changes happened a long time ago.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #116
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future

Can't wait for Daria Gavrilova crack the top 100, & Taylor Townsend, Sachia Vickery & Franckie get in the mix with the other young teens
Trey is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #117

Thought I should do an update of this thread.

Since I last updated it, Stephens, Krunic and Gibbs have all turned 20, meaning that Robson is now the highest ranked teen at 39 in the world.

Bouchard has become the fourth player from 1994 to reach the Top 100 after reaching the QF of Charleston last week.

Babos, who at one point was the highest ranked teen at this time last year, is now ranked outside the Top 100 after a series of poor results, although she did reach the QF of Monterrey last week.

In other results from last week, Keys reached the QF of Charleston, while Davis reached QF of Monterrey. Pegula reached the 3rd round of Charleston, whilst Robson, Garcia, Puig and Min also won a match there. Vekic won a match in Monterrey.

Samantha Crawford, who qualified for Monterrey, becomes the fifth player from 1995 to reach the Top 250, although 94-born Kremen has fallen out of it.

Last edited by DevilishAttitude : Apr 9th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #118
country flag pesto

pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
Robson is now the highest ranked teen at 42 in the world.
She's ranked 39 in today's rankings. But playing like shit, in singles, at least. I thought her great doubles run in Miami might re-invigorate her.
pesto is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
She's ranked 39 in today's rankings. But playing like shit, in singles, at least. I thought her great doubles run in Miami might re-invigorate her.
Her results this year have been so disappointing. Aside from beating a slumping Kvitova, she hasn't had a single victory of note, and keeps losing from winning positions as well.

She's lucky that she has no real points to defend till Eastbourne.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #120
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

At this point obviously not. That may change of course but probably not this year ( and probably not next year either).