Are today's WTA teenagers breaking through? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 24th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #46
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
I wish people would drop this statement, like she was the first and youngest to ever win a Slam

I NEVER hear of Serena, "Yeah, she won the US Open at just 17!"

Never heard this with Martina Hingis, "Wimbledon at 16!" or Monica "8 Slams by 19!"
It is possible that the people repeating the " I 'm only 17" mantra don't know that there are other teens who won GS before Maria

It is very possible come to think of it

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jul 24th, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 24th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #47
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all Lazyking is a name known to all

OR people know but bring up Sharapova cause she's the last teen to do it and be a top player..

The shortage in teenage phenoms is really startling but I guess that's what happens when players can't play whereever, whenever.
Lazyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #48
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
I wish people would drop this statement, like she was the first and youngest to ever win a Slam

I NEVER hear of Serena, "Yeah, she won the US Open at just 17!"

Never heard this with Martina Hingis, "Wimbledon at 16!" or Monica "8 Slams by 19!"
Serena and Maria are the only teen slam winners under the AER (I guess Sveta too, but she was almost 20 when she won), and Maria was the last one, and the one who won when the Power Era was well under way. When Serena did it is was not so surprising because a lot of young teenagers were up and coming or at the top already (Martina, Venus, Belgians x 2) and it was considered the norm to see teen phenoms. Even Davenport was considered a late bloomer, because she only won a slam at 22, even though she had already cracked the Top 10 by the age of 18. But after a half-decade drought, every one assumed that that was the end of young champions until Maria came along. Of course, only now do we know that it was in fact an anomaly to see so many great teen players in the late 90s: that was simply a great generation. Tennis had already changed by then.

This is very similar to how Justine got attention for her height and more importantly build, for being successful in a Big Babe era. Everyone thought that Hingis would be the last 5'6 slam champ. Historically, being 5'6 (or in Justine's case, closer to 5'5) was a disadvantage, not an insurmountable hurdle.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Jul 24th, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #49
tejmeglekvár
CFO

tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasmith View Post
Morrissey has been pretty much saying the same thing but for some reason he gets excoriated for it.
I dont agree either of them, I'm just bored arguing about it.
WTA is grown up, the sport wont go away completely.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #50
country flag DevilishAttitude

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battiv View Post
Noone wrote about Ons Jabeur????
I haven't included Jabeur currently since I've tried to keep it within players in the Top 250, where they are nearing qualifying level for grand slams. Jabeur is Top 300 but I guess we will see if she has any potential at the Olympics, where she's the youngest player involved in it.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #51

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute

Bump.

Thought I should do an update of this thread.

Robson was the standout teen of the US Open, beating Clijsters and Li with some excellent power hitting. It's going to be interesting to see if she can join Stephens and be inside the Top 50 by the end of the year.

Stephens had another solid slam, her third consecutive slam where she reached at least the 3rd round. Missed opportunity though to beat Ivanovic and she still has quite a few holes in her game. No points to defend till the Australian Open though so has a shot of hitting the Top 30.

From the rest, the other standout was Mladenovic, reaching the 3rd round, beating Pavlyuchenkova along the way. Will be interesting to see if she can carry this form on, or if she will go back to stagnating, which had been doing the entire year TBH before the US Open.

Special mention to Samantha Crawford. Outside Top 300 atm, but qualified into the main draw and won the juniors, could be one to watch from the '95 generation.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #52
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

Eugenie Bouchard is working her way up the rankings and actually winning some WTA main draw matches. I've only seen her play briefly but she her results are promising.

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #53
country flag muusa

muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold muusa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Fan View Post
Eugenie Bouchard is working her way up the rankings and actually winning some WTA main draw matches.
The same applies for Vekic who is 2 years younger.
muusa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #54
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

I only heard of her recently and never seen her play. But any 16 year old winning main draw matches is noteworthy these days.

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #55

Wonder if more players of a similar age will follow Vekic's route of playing weak challengers in obscure places, to gain experience and confidence, and then try and take it onto tour level. Vekic is now almost 100 places above the more-fancied Barty in the rankings and she's the first 16 year old in a long time to reach a WTA Tour QF.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #56
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Well a lot of the 1993-1996 girls are doing great in WTA events this week.

Mladenovic, Davis, Vekic, Bouchard and Beck all won maindraw matches in Quebec City/Tashkent
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #57

Mladenovic becomes the fifth player from 1993 to reach the Top 100 in singles. Managed to back up her 3rd Round appearance at the US Open with a SF appearance at Quebec City has a qualifer. After winning next to no matches all year, she has gained over 50 places in her rank with two great tournaments, just goes to show what a few wins at tour level can bring. Will be interesting to see if she can continue moving forward for the rest of the year.

It was a pretty good week for this generation. Vekic became the youngest player since 2006 to reach a tour final at Tashkent, and has now passed every player from not only the '95, but '94 generation besides Robson.

Davis reached her first tour QF, Beck won her first tour level match and Bouchard won a tour match for the fourth successive tournament, all at Quebec City.

The only blight was Muguruza Blanco falling back out of the Top 100. Has had a quiet summer since she reached that milestone.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #58
tejmeglekvár
CFO

tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute tejmeglekvár has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully Mladenovic can keep this up from now.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #59

Lauren Davis becomes the sixth player from 1993 to reach Top 100. Unlike Mladenovic as well, she reaches it at 18 rather than 19. Won 50K Las Vegas last week and has had reasonable performances on tour this year, including thrashing Barthel at the 1st Round of the French Open. She has gained over 200 spots in the ranks as well, ended last year outside the Top 300!

Not much to report from the others from last week, Svitolina won a 50K challenger in Georgia, and Zanevska from 1993, winner of five challengers in 2012 and 1994 players Gasparyan, who has won four challengers this year and van Uytvanck, the only player from 1994 besides Robson and Bouchard to have reached a QF of a tour event this year have all reached Top 250.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 01:13 AM   #60
country flag charmedRic
Rican In The Burgh

charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute charmedRic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this thread yinz! It is great to be able to read up on these young up and commers.