Are today's WTA teenagers breaking through? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #16
country flag DevilishAttitude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,903
DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Isn't Jana Cepelova about Top 100 now?
Annika will soon break Top 100.

I would add Carina Witthoeft of Germany ('95) to this list.
No, she will be around #140 in the rankings about to TBE list. Had pretty much no results coming in to suggest she'd reach 3rd round of Wimbledon.

Curious about Beck, I noticed there was quite a few misgivings about her win in RG juniors, dunno if it's a positive or negative that she played there (although at least won). She's had very little fan-fare about her despite being another promising German.

Yeah Witthoeit won a 25K today. Khromacheva also easily beat Puig in a 25K final today too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Where is Laura Robson?
I decided not to include her since she's Top 100 currently.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:03 AM   #17
BlueTrees
.
 
BlueTrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11,067
BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnwerner View Post
Garcia is overrated,
so is Larcher De Brito.
And Mladenovic has to prove herself with good results.
All three were overrated the last years.
None of them is in Top 80 so far.
Larcher de Brito's career high ranking is #76 in July 2009.
__________________
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 08:48 AM   #18
C. Drone
CFO
 
C. Drone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,925
C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennismaster8820 View Post
Exactly!
They can afford to fail many times and WCs still keep coming.
Exactly.
I know I´m just bitter, but seeing Mladenovic couldnt win a single match since years, while Babos got into a slam MD only this summer (by rankings!), and ppl still thought she is walking BYE against Oudin just pissing me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
What's a Merican?
My bad.
__________________
- ad space -
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM   #19
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 19,793
Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
With the 1992 generation seeming as if McHale is the only one with a chance of being a top player, I was wondering what all of your thoughts are of the 1993-1996 generation?

I won't include the likes of Stephens, Babos and Robson, has they have all reached the Top 100 and are continuing to rise, but what about these players who are all in the world's Top 250:

1993
Garbine Muguruza Blanco
Lauren Davis
Jana Cepelova
Michelle Larcher de Brito
Caroline Garcia
Kristina Mladenovic
Monica Puig
Alexandra Krunic
Alja Tomljanovic
Akiko Omae

1994
Annika Beck
Grace Min
Elina Svitolina
Saisai Zheng
Jessica Pegula
Daria Gavrilova

1995
Yulia Putintseva
Madison Keys
Irina Khromacheva

1996
Donna Vekic
Ashleigh Barty

Should at least 75% of these players be Top 100 in the ranks next year or are they not world-beaters by any stretch?

Thoughts?
Some of these players will have very good careers, some of them won't. I won't bother sorting out who I think will and who I think won't make it partly because I can't be bothered and partly because in truth I don't really have a clue and nobody else does either.

Most of these players have the potential to have very good careers but which ones will put the much needed work in and get the proper coaching and stay healthy who is to say.

Anyway, that doesn't answer the question because the question is refering to the possibility of a substantial amount of these players breaking through in the near future. To answer that question...simply, it won't happen. No mass teenage breakthrough is imminent.

Anyone who has been following tennis the last ten years will have noticed by now the age at which players are breaking through is getting later and later. We are much more likely to see players in their midtwenties having breakthrough years emerging into the top 10 than we are to see teens zooming into high ranked positions. These days even getting into the top 100 as a teen is fairly unusual. You can count the teens in the top 100 on one hand. That isn't going to change.

So while some of the players on that list have great futures ahead of them, with perhaps one or two exceptions, we are not looking at a list of players who are going to be making their mark (and by that I am thinking in terms of at least a top 50 ranking) next year, we are looking at a list of players who will be making their mark in 3 or 4 years and in some case even more than that. Give these girls some time.
__________________
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:27 AM   #20
country flag chingching
Senior Member
 
chingching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15,612
chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Is it just me, or do posters not follow German players because their forum is in German???

In my opinion, all the 95 and 94 players will make it
96 and 93 I am not so sure
Many of the 93 people have been too close for too long now and have missed their opportunity like Tomljanovic and Mladenovic
And the 96 girls have the problem of Ash perhaps being too small and Donna needing to change her game and play harder tournaments
__________________
Anett+Them Eesti Gals have to be the best players that ever existed

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008

Last edited by chingching : Jul 23rd, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM   #21
country flag Joe.
Senior Member
 
Joe.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,787
Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

In 5 years time, Vekic will be in the top 20 at least- she's sooo good and underrated
__________________
Maria Sharapova.
Laura Robson ~ Belinda Bencic ~ Heather Watson ~ Camila Giorgi
Joe. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:15 PM   #22
country flag Grigorpova
Senior Member
 
Grigorpova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,314
Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
1996
Donna Vekic
Ashleigh Barty
Expecting these two in the top 100 in the next two years.
Grigorpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:20 PM   #23
country flag borrowedheaven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,076
borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future borrowedheaven has a brilliant future
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

If Van Uytvanck gets everything together, I think she can definitely crack the top 100.
__________________


Clijsters|Pavlyuchenkova|Kvitova|Azarenka

borrowedheaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM   #24
country flag DevilishAttitude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,903
DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
Exactly.
I know I´m just bitter, but seeing Mladenovic couldnt win a single match since years, while Babos got into a slam MD only this summer (by rankings!), and ppl still thought she is walking BYE against Oudin just pissing me off.


My bad.
I think people thought Oudin would beat Babos due to the fact Timea's results have been very average since she won in Monterrey and she was thrashed by Falconi on the grass in Birmingham. She certainly has a lot of potential IMO if she can improve her FH and movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
Some of these players will have very good careers, some of them won't. I won't bother sorting out who I think will and who I think won't make it partly because I can't be bothered and partly because in truth I don't really have a clue and nobody else does either.

Most of these players have the potential to have very good careers but which ones will put the much needed work in and get the proper coaching and stay healthy who is to say.

Anyway, that doesn't answer the question because the question is refering to the possibility of a substantial amount of these players breaking through in the near future. To answer that question...simply, it won't happen. No mass teenage breakthrough is imminent.

Anyone who has been following tennis the last ten years will have noticed by now the age at which players are breaking through is getting later and later. We are much more likely to see players in their midtwenties having breakthrough years emerging into the top 10 than we are to see teens zooming into high ranked positions. These days even getting into the top 100 as a teen is fairly unusual. You can count the teens in the top 100 on one hand. That isn't going to change.

So while some of the players on that list have great futures ahead of them, with perhaps one or two exceptions, we are not looking at a list of players who are going to be making their mark (and by that I am thinking in terms of at least a top 50 ranking) next year, we are looking at a list of players who will be making their mark in 3 or 4 years and in some case even more than that. Give these girls some time.
I still think the WTA needs teenage stars. The Hingis and Sharapova breakthroughs were fantastic from a marketing point of view. Not since the Azarenka/Wozniacki/Radwanska generation has there been a teenager who has done anything of note and I don't think it has helped the tour. Sure, girls are breaking through later, but I'm not sure the Kerber's and Errani's bring anywhere near the same interest as a teenage phenom would.

I guess this thread is a "where are they now" in a year's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrowedheaven View Post
If Van Uytvanck gets everything together, I think she can definitely crack the top 100.
She's only had promising results in Brussels though. She's 1-2 since that tournament.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM   #25
BlueTrees
.
 
BlueTrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11,067
BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Yulia Putintseva, Ashleigh Barty and Donna Vekic are standouts in terms of being able to win several $25Ks at such a young age (15/16 years old). Pretty much everyone knows about these three as they're constantly talked about here, although I guess Vekic is a bit more under the radar as her junior results are hardly stellar compared to her outstanding success in pro events. But all three of them are certainly heading in the right direction in their young careers. Of the 1993-1996 group these are the best three.

As for some of the others I pay attention to are Garbine Muguruza Blanco, Annika Beck, Carina Witthoeft, Irina Khromacheva, Elina Svitolina and Grace Min.

Players like Mladenovic, Garcia, Larcher de Brito and Tomljanovic and Diyas have been stalling forever. Although the latter two have been injured/sick I believe and are starting to get better results. But I really don't see any of them being top players.

Keys and Kontaveit are hardly living up to their hype with disappointing years so far, but they're both young. Townsend is doing great in juniors but hasn't played a professional event all year so it's really hard to gauge her potential.

As for 1997, Belinda Bencic and Veronika Kudermetova are really the two leading the field. Bencic has a 31-4 W/L 2012 record in juniors, winning two G1 events, and is currently ranked #21. Kudermetova reached the semifinals of a $25K in Moscow as a qualifier a few months ago.

Here are some players that are doing very well in challengers recently who nobody seemed to have mentioned and "fly under the radar" from all the TennisForum hype.

Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor from Spain (born 1992) is on a 17 match winning streak, winning two $25Ks as a qualifier and a $50K+H. She thrashed Khromacheva 6-1 6-1 in the $50K+H. She's currently ranked #215. I know this thread is only for 1993-1996, but Maria-Teresa was out injured for several months last year and after May 2011 she only played two $10Ks at the very end of the year after she had recovered. She virtually has no points to defend for the rest of 2012.

Margarita Gasparyan from Russia (born 1994) is on a 15 match winning streak, winning three $25Ks in a row in Moscow. She beat Gavrilova twice and Witthoeft in this run. She's currently ranked #287.

Anna-Lena Friedsam from Germany (also born 1994) is on a 18 match winning streak, winning a $10K and then two $25Ks in a row, both as a qualifier. She beat Vekic in Padova. She's currently ranked #285.

Some of these players I mentioned are bound to be "flops" like Flipkens, Zahlavova Strycova, Krajicek and Karatantcheva. But there are signs that a lot of them will become very good players in 3-4 years time. It'll be interesting to see in a few years which ones breakthrough and which ones don't.
__________________
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM   #26
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 19,793
Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrees View Post
Yulia Putintseva, Ashleigh Barty and Donna Vekic are standouts in terms of being able to win several $25Ks at such a young age (15/16 years old). Pretty much everyone knows about these three as they're constantly talked about here, although I guess Vekic is a bit more under the radar as her junior results are hardly stellar compared to her outstanding success in pro events. But all three of them are certainly heading in the right direction in their young careers. Of the 1993-1996 group these are the best three.

As for some of the others I pay attention to are Garbine Muguruza Blanco, Annika Beck, Carina Witthoeft, Irina Khromacheva, Elina Svitolina and Grace Min.

Players like Mladenovic, Garcia, Larcher de Brito and Tomljanovic and Diyas have been stalling forever. Although the latter two have been injured/sick I believe and are starting to get better results. But I really don't see any of them being top players.

Keys and Kontaveit are hardly living up to their hype with disappointing years so far, but they're both young. Townsend is doing great in juniors but hasn't played a professional event all year so it's really hard to gauge her potential.

As for 1997, Belinda Bencic and Veronika Kudermetova are really the two leading the field. Bencic has a 31-4 W/L 2012 record in juniors, winning two G1 events, and is currently ranked #21. Kudermetova reached the semifinals of a $25K in Moscow as a qualifier a few months ago.

Here are some players that are doing very well in challengers recently who nobody seemed to have mentioned and "fly under the radar" from all the TennisForum hype.

Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor from Spain (born 1992) is on a 17 match winning streak, winning two $25Ks as a qualifier and a $50K+H. She thrashed Khromacheva 6-1 6-1 in the $50K+H. She's currently ranked #215. I know this thread is only for 1993-1996, but Maria-Teresa was out injured for several months last year and after May 2011 she only played two $10Ks at the very end of the year after she had recovered. She virtually has no points to defend for the rest of 2012.

Margarita Gasparyan from Russia (born 1994) is on a 15 match winning streak, winning three $25Ks in a row in Moscow. She beat Gavrilova twice and Witthoeft in this run. She's currently ranked #287.

Anna-Lena Friedsam from Germany (also born 1994) is on a 18 match winning streak, winning a $10K and then two $25Ks in a row, both as a qualifier. She beat Vekic in Padova. She's currently ranked #285.

Some of these players I mentioned are bound to be "flops" like Flipkens, Zahlavova Strycova, Krajicek and Karatantcheva. But there are signs that a lot of them will become very good players in 3-4 years time. It'll be interesting to see in a few years which ones breakthrough and which ones don't.
I think you get too excited by 25k and 10k wins. Honestly, I wouldn't read to much into a 17 year olds results in 10k tournaments as an indication of whether or not they will have a successful career at WTA level. Players develop at different rates. Some of the 2020's best players are currently 15 to 17 year olds that right now nobody is noticing because they are not winning 25k or 10k events. But in 5 years they will have worked their way up into the top 100 and eventually beyond while some of today's young phenoms will have stalled.

It seems to me everyone is looking for the next teen phenom. But the fact is the real breakthroughs generally occur these days in players in their 20s.

I should also add, many of the players on this list would kill to be a "flop" like Zahlavova Strycova. A substantial number of these players won't even make the top 100. Meanwhile Strycova has already pocketed 2 million in prize money at 26 years old. As she is proving to be a fine doubles player I would expect that number to double or triple before her career finishes.
__________________

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Jul 1st, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM   #27
country flag Invisible Fan
Senior Member
 
Invisible Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 1,728
Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

[quote=DevilishAttitude;21747278]With the 1992 generation seeming as if McHale is the only one with a chance of being a top player, [quote]

How about Heather Watson?
__________________
Top 10: Ashleigh Barty, Jelena Dokic, Jarmila Gajdosova, Jamie Hampton, Jelena Jankovic, Agnieszka Radwanska, Lucie Safarova, Maria Sharapova, Karolina Sprem, Sam Stosur.

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze


Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM   #28
BlueTrees
.
 
BlueTrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11,067
BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
I think you get too excited by 25k and 10k wins. Honestly, I wouldn't read to much into a 17 year olds results in 10k tournaments as an indication of whether or not they will have a successful career at WTA level. Players develop at different rates. Some of the 2020's best players are currently 15 to 17 year olds that right now nobody is noticing because they are not winning 25k or 10k events. But in 5 years they will have worked their way up into the top 100 and eventually beyond while some of today's young phenoms will have stalled.

It seems to me everyone is looking for the next teen phenom. But the fact is the real breakthroughs generally occur these days in players in their 20s.

I should also add, many of the players on this list would kill to be a "flop" like Zahlavova Strycova. A substantial number of these players won't even make the top 100. Meanwhile Strycova has already pocketed 2 million in prize money at 26 years old. As she is proving to be a fine doubles player I would expect that number to double or triple before her career finishes.
Uhhh I only mentioned the $10K because it was part of Friedsam's winning streak. I agree that results in $10K are pretty meaningless and to be honest I don't even really follow/look at $10K results period. But the fact that players are able to win multiple/back to back $25Ks as a 17/18 year old something to take notice of. You're telling me that Gasparyan winning three $25Ks in a row as a 17 year old is something to take lightly? Players like Kvitova and Kerber were tearing up the European $25K events in 2006/2007. It shows they're consistently winning matches at this level at a young age and it's definitely a good sign.

None of these players in discussion have really achieved anything of note on the WTA tour, with the exception of Muguruza Blanco who reached 4R of Miami (beating Zvonareva and Pennetta) and QF of Fes. Witthoeft had the win over Pironkova in Stuttgart. That's about it. So that's why you need to look at ITF results if you're trying to look at who might be a top player in 4-5 years time, because realistically the players aren't going to have decent WTA results until they're 18/19 years old and by then they're breaking Top 100 and everybody knows about them (like Stephens, Babos, Robson).

And just to reiterate I'm not saying that any of this suggests that all of these players will be great, but it's pretty much guaranteed that at least a few of the players I talked about will be Top 10. I mean, players don't just appear on the WTA tour out of nowhere. If a player from 1993/1994 was going to be any good, we would've most likely heard about them by now ("we" being tennis nerds). If you look at the top players now they all started off their careers with strong performances in $25Ks and such as teenagers and worked their way up. Even Sharapova played $10Ks and $25Ks. That's why I guess I kept talking about the $25K tournament wins, because junior results are much less relevant with this sort of thing. Of course it's equally guaranteed that a lot of these players will never achieve anything special, but I think that's something we both agree on.

I agree "flop" was a poor choice of word, that's why I put it in quotation marks. I didn't mean to be so harsh.
__________________
BlueTrees is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:40 PM   #29
country flag Freakan
Senior Member
 
Freakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: here & now
Posts: 10,406
Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute Freakan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
I think you get too excited by 25k and 10k wins. Honestly, I wouldn't read to much into a 17 year olds results in 10k tournaments as an indication of whether or not they will have a successful career at WTA level. Players develop at different rates. Some of the 2020's best players are currently 15 to 17 year olds that right now nobody is noticing because they are not winning 25k or 10k events. But in 5 years they will have worked their way up into the top 100 and eventually beyond while some of today's young phenoms will have stalled.

It seems to me everyone is looking for the next teen phenom. But the fact is the real breakthroughs generally occur these days in players in their 20s.

I should also add, many of the players on this list would kill to be a "flop" like Zahlavova Strycova. A substantial number of these players won't even make the top 100. Meanwhile Strycova has already pocketed 2 million in prize money at 26 years old. As she is proving to be a fine doubles player I would expect that number to double or triple before her career finishes.
I think the style in which these players win 10k/25k justifies getting excited about them. Players like Friedsman, Gasparyan, Schmiedlova (had 22 wins in a row this year!) or Puig started to play ITFs at 16/17 while Gavrilova, Zheng or Kolar (who last year seemed like a sure bet to reach Top 100 this year) were playing ITFs since they were 14. That gives them a huge advanatge in terms of ranking but the players I mentioned prove with their results that at the moment they are much better players than e.g. Gavrilova. However I do agree that it doesn't mean they'll have a succesful WTA career.

It will be also interesting to see what will happen with players who a few years ago seemed to be one of the most promising of their generation but they had serious injuries at very young age and are now trining to start over e.g. Uberalova, Jeanjean.

1997 also seems to be a very good year with players like Bencic, Konjuh or Abanda (and many more). 1998 seems like a good year too, especially for American tennis.
__________________
Ivanovic Cibulkova Ula Radwańska Groth Pennetta

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Freakan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM   #30
country flag DevilishAttitude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,903
DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:

How about Heather Watson?
I decided not to include Watson has she's already been passed by 93'ers Stephens and Babos and to me she's essentially a 2nd rate McHale.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios