Wimbledon to Stop Grunting - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Wimbledon to Stop Grunting

Though it's not really from the past, I thought it was great to hear Wimbledon is putting the clamp down on women grunting. The current players wouldn't be affected, and it comes into effect several years from now, giving current juniors a chance to work on toning it down. I know Chris Whiteside, among others here are cheering loudly!
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of
Re: Wimbledon to Stop Grunting

This is current events so perhaps you should post this in GM. How it relates to the past is you just trying to start trouble.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

What I wonder is: will they use a machine to measure noise? All we hear about is the women grunting, but I suspect many of the men make just as much actual noise on court.

Of course it's the women who get 95% of the heat for it though.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #4

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
What I wonder is: will they use a machine to measure noise? All we hear about is the women grunting, but I suspect many of the men make just as much actual noise on court.

Of course it's the women who get 95% of the heat for it though.
Well, it is very undignified for a lady to screech in public like that, and that makes it even funnier because the British obviously can't stand it! With the men, it's kind of expected. They only time it really annoys me is when some (just a few) players hit the ball, and then make a grunt or screech after the ball has long left their racquet. I remember a player I played green clay tennis with who would do that as a distraction.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #5
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

I dont know why they have to wait.... it's a spectator sport entirely financed by spectators... and it's a form of cheating... and it is critical to the sport that the opponent hear the ball coming off the opponents strings. Its a basic courtesy but also part of the structure of how tennis is played. Just put a muzzle on them the way you would any animal who is acting out of control.

(That is my 'Grumpy Old Man' post to justify the thread's presence in BFTP)
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
I dont know why they have to wait.... it's a spectator sport entirely financed by spectators... and it's a form of cheating... and it is critical to the sport that the opponent hear the ball coming off the opponents strings. Its a basic courtesy but also part of the structure of how tennis is played. Just put a muzzle on them the way you would any animal who is acting out of control.

(That is my 'Grumpy Old Man' post to justify the thread's presence in BFTP)
People here got mad at me a while back when I mentioned that Monica Seles definitely used it as a ploy to throw off the opponent. I've watched her practice in Philadelphia and at the USO, and she was completely silent while still hit those laser shots. Couple that with her two-fisted disguise, and (IMO) you have a decided advantage. At Wimbledon, she screeched her loudest on one point a few years ago when she was hitting a DROP SHOT! Tell me that's not calculated.

When Sharapova and Azarenka played the final at Key Biscayne, they could hear the screeches all the way down at the beach! I still like the British tabloid reporter last year who liked Kvitova's silence, noting that the only sound she makes is when she just hit a winner, and turns around and "makes a sound as if she's stepping on a chicken"!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #7
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

Again I ask what does this have to do with the past, except to allow a particular poster with a particular agenda to relay the same tired comments and anecdotes over and over again. And you people seriously wonder why only four people post here now?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
Again I ask what does this have to do with the past, except to allow a particular poster with a particular agenda to relay the same tired comments and anecdotes over and over again. And you people seriously wonder why only four people post here now?
Now thumper, what did your father say to you? If you haven't got something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Last I checked Monica Seles IS in the past, and is responsible for the current glut of screamers. Agenda?