The fattening of the WTA? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #16
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The fattening of the WTA?

Oudin is a short girl, so she looks chubbier than she actually is. Her body type is probably stockier than others - doesn't mean she's not fit. Even Cibulkova doesn't look incredibly skinny, but she's extremely fit. Mel's 17-year-old body probably was not her natural body type, and now she's filled out.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #17
country flag max94

max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light max94 is a glorious beacon of light

Or even look at Putintseva she seems quite chubby whereas she is one of the fitter player out there
max94 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #18
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the women on the tour I've seen look a lot more fit in person than they do on TV.

I remember being blown away by how much slimmer and leaner Lisicki looks when you see her in real life than in photos or TV (not that she looks bad, but...)

And Wickmayer is a freaking amazon. In a good way. Much taller and ripped than she looks on tv.

Goerges is a lot less dainty in real life, too (though still quite pretty).

Also, look at their legs and arms. Most of them have really powerful legs and arms, because those are what do most of the work in tennis. A pro tennis player isn't going to be built like a sprinter, any more than an American football player is going to be built like a cyclist.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #19
country flag Polikarpov

Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute

Paging Steffica Greles.
Polikarpov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #20
country flag cautiouslip

cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of

If there is no effect on the game of the players, it doesn't matter at all
cautiouslip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polikarpov View Post
Paging Steffica Greles.
Let's not.
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #22
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
You simply wouldnt last these days on the tour if you werent incredibly fit. They arent chubby, they just have different body shapes. Not everyone can be skinny and naturally athletic.
This.

I mean, we all go along with the cake and baby fat/bakery jokes because they're long-standing gags. In reality, Marion and Nastya aren't fat at all - they probably wear a fairly average dress size.
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #23
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Cherry. View Post
This.

I mean, we all go along with the cake and baby fat/bakery jokes because they're long-standing gags. In reality, Marion and Nastya aren't fat at all - they probably wear a fairly average dress size.
Nastia could lose ten kilos and it would probably improve her game no end. Of course she wouldnt look so cute anymore
Melange is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #24
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

What's up with gay guys putting unrealistic high standards on women's weight/looks? Not generalizing here, we know a big percentage of the demographics here is gay and I assume that includes a large portion of the guys involved in these debates.

None of the top players on tour qualify as chubby, let alone obese or fat. It's pretty sick how some people regard everything that's not stick-skinny as fat, this kind of attitude leads women to become obsessed with their weight and bulimic or worse.

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #25
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
What's up with gay guys putting unrealistic high standards on women's weight/looks? Not generalizing here, we know a big percentage of the demographics here is gay and I assume that includes a large portion of the guys involved in these debates.

None of the top players on tour qualify as chubby, let alone obese or fat. It's pretty sick how some people regard everything that's not stick-skinny as fat, this kind of attitude leads women to become obsessed with their weight and bulimic or worse.
Very ironic statement to make given the thread-starter.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #26
country flag Vespertine69

Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a complicated and divisive issue this one...

All the top pro girls clearly have the fitness needed to compete in a tough sport, so basic levels of fitness are not really much of an issue and certainly nobody is "fat" by any normal judgement. However, there are definitely some who carry a bit of extra bodyweight that isn't helping their athletic performance. It's clearly not necessary to have extremely low bodyfat to be a competitive player, but there is no doubt (for me anyway) that for a few players pushing themselves even further to lose a couple of pounds of fat would make them that few percent quicker and help their games out.

It's a dangerous issue though... people feel very passionately on all sides when it comes to weight and body-shape...
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #27
country flag Bismarck.

Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute Bismarck. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Look at who the OP is and then come back with the gay-bashing.
Bismarck. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #28
country flag supermod

supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of

Quote:

I get the OP though. Compared to the boys, who are almost all lean and super-athletic on TV, a lot of girls look less toned.

Also, if you compare some tennis players with other female athletes, like girls participating in Decathlons/Heptathlons/Pentathlons (varied physical demands), they look less toned and fit, too. Or even beach-volleyball-players. Just watched them on TV yesterday and they all look extremely well-trained.

And this has nothing to do with people only appreciating "stick-skinny"-girls.
supermod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #29
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermod View Post
I get the OP though. Compared to the boys, who are almost all lean and super-athletic on TV, a lot of girls look less toned.

Also, if you compare some tennis players with other female athletes, like girls participating in Decathlons/Heptathlons/Pentathlons (varied physical demands), they look less toned and fit, too. Or even beach-volleyball-players. Just watched them on TV yesterday and they all look extremely well-trained.

Of course if you compare tennis players to other sports that require mostly explosion (most track and field, volley ball, etc.), it's no surprise their bodies won't measure up on a whole to the rippling muscles required for such short burst, fast twitch explosive athletes.

Now tennis is a sport that requires fitness, explosiveness, and/or skill, so therefore you will see the full gamut of female body types playing tennis, compared to those other sports physical specimens. Makes sense?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #30
country flag BH both wings

BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermod View Post

I don't think you can compare tennis to "full-body" athletic disciplines like heptathlon, pole vaulting or volleyball (esp. beach volleyball, which demands a more generalistic set of features). The distance of male tennis players to decathletes in "visual athleticism" is as huge as the distance of female tennis players to heptathlets.

Tennis is a little bit like golf in this: You can spend 80% of your time working on your fitness, becoming real long hitter with great stamina in the process, but that doesn't help you winning too much. In tennis, even ten additional pounds of bodyfat don't slow you down significantly, they don't effect your ball-striking or footwork. If you are a lazy moving, hard serving and hard-hitting part-timer, you can easily be a top tennis player despite looking seriously overweight.
BH both wings is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote