New Big West - 2012-13 - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #76
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Big West - 2012-13

Usc beat stan at ncaa, nice try
You guys always brag in every Bw posts
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #77
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

And i believe it's 'incessantly' (what if I'm wrong )
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #78
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Usc beat stan at ncaa, nice try
You guys always brag in every Bw posts
This is the NEW BIG WEST!

The new UCSB & Cal Poly coaches don't care about the old Big West. Hawaii and next season SDSU and Boise St. won't care about the old Big West. I suspect only Beachman and Form, who I'll call BeachForm cuz it's like they're the same person, will be living in the past.

Don't worry fantic LBS won't have much to brag about in the NEW BIG WEST!

Well LBS can brag they have more #4 singles players than anyone else in the NEW BIG WEST.

Last edited by gouci : Sep 30th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #79
country flag fantic

Re: New Big West - 2012-13

Gouci you're a naughty boy, constantly provoking them
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #80
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Cal St. Fullerton Tournament

The draws for the Cal St. Fullerton Tournament is posted here.

Plenty of UCI and LBS players are entered.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #81
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
when will UCI update their roster & schedule?
UCI's new players are Sarah Gong, Sarah Stadfelt and Alison Klein.

I know UCI's schedule.

10/5-10/7 Fullerton Tournament
10/18-10/21 ITA Regionals
11/1-11/3 Hawaii Tournament

1/16 at #4 USC
1/20 San Jose St.

1/26 vs #58 Tulane
1/27 at #4 USC/ Akron

2/1 at #2 UCLA
2/3 LMU
2/8 at #33 Pepperdine
2/11 #44 LSU
2/17 at Cal Poly
2/18 at UCSB

3/2 #36 Long Beach St.
3/10 SMU
3/11 Marquette
3/13 Louisville
3/15 UC Davis
3/23 Pacific
3/24 #61 Wyoming
3/25 #56 Sac. St.

4/6 at CSUN
4/13 at UC Riverside
4/16 Cal St. Fullerton
4/21 #54 Hawaii
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #82
country flag ucfan10s

ucfan10s is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, UCI does not have good results for the last few years if you look at the actually conference standing results (based on the Big West Conference web site:

2008 - 2ND behind Long Beach State
2009 - 2ND behind Long Beach State
2010 - 3rd behind UC Santa Barbara and Long Beach State
2011 - 6th behind most of the schools
2012 - 3rd behind UC Davis and Long Beach State

The year-end tournament does not represent the conference standings. Most of the schools outside of the Southern California do not pay too much attention to the year-end tournament because they know that they do not have chance to practice there (Indian Wells Tennis Garden) ahead of time. The school who can send players to Indian Wells to practice weeks before the tournament are school like UCI and Long Beach State..... Therefore, you can see the wins always go to the two schools.
ucfan10s is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #83
country flag gouci

ucfan10s you seem to be confused and on major points so let me set you straight.

1. The Big West regular season standings are used nothing more than to determine the seedings for the conference tournament.

2. The winner of the Big West Tournament (BWT), like in golf also, is recognized as the Big West champion for that year. They get the trophy.

3. In fact I don't even think the conference record book keeps track of the regular season standings. It only keeps track of how teams did in the Big West Tournament.

4. For all of the Big West schools the conference tournament means everything because it decides who gets the conference NCAA automatic bid. In the regular season nothing happens when you lose. The BWT carries all the pressure because when you lose your season is over. The BWT is when everything counts and teams play for keeps.

5. As far as I know UCI and LBS arrive at Indian Wells at the same time as all the other teams. They don't practice there weeks before the tournament.

6. The BWT is held there because outside of the Grand Slams, Indian Wells is one of the nicest tennis facilities in the world. To be honest the location of the BWT has little to do with the results since everyone is playing on a neutral court. The results come from which team is playing best when it counts the most.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #84
country flag ucfan10s

ucfan10s is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you determine if a player or a team is good? For example, if someone, who ranked outside of the top 20 in the world ranking, won the U.S. Opens. Would you say this person suddenly becomes world number one? Of course not! This is true for any College tournaments, including the Big West Championship. So the true measure of a team should be based on their regular season record, not a single tournament result.

In addition, if you had the chance to watch the past few Big West Championships at Indian Wells. You can tell the players from those local school were very much used to the court condition at Indian Wells(the speed and the way how the balls bounce at those courts). On the other hand, the players from other schools, who spent time traveling to Indian Wells, had problems adjusting to the courts. I believe that coaches from "non-local" schools would demand to change tournament location when the contract between Big West and Indian Wells expired.
ucfan10s is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #85
country flag gouci

I wouldn't consider UCI or LBS as "local" schools when it comes to Indian Wells. It's a 2.5 hour drive one way from UCI to Indian Wells. It's like saying UCI is the "local" school for courts in Tiajuana, Mexico. As far as I know UCI & LBS only play on those courts during the Big West Tournament. Now players from a team who advances to the finals do end up playing more sets on those courts than a team that's eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round. These players have that advantage when they return the following year.

This is the first time I've heard anyone imply the court conditions give one team an advantage. It sounds more like a losing team making excuses. What affects results more than court conditions is PRESSURE! Some teams play well when they have nothing to lose in the regular season. But in the BWT every match is do or die. Your team loses and your season is over and you go home. I've seen many players and some teams wilt under the pressure.

Think of the Big West Tournament as the conference Playoffs. The only thing people will remember is who played in the finals and who won the championship. Just like in the NFL, NBA & Major League Baseball people will primarily remember the 2 teams who played in the Super Bowl, NBA Finals or World Series and which team won the championship.

In Big West tennis just like most sports it's all about proving yourself by winning in the play-offs, not winning in the regular season. The regular season amounts nothing more than practice and preparation for the Big West Tournament aka Play-offs. In Big West tennis champions are crowned in the Play-offs not regular season.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #86
country flag gouci

Re: Cal St. Fullerton Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
The draws for the Cal St. Fullerton Tournament is posted here.

Plenty of UCI and LBS players are entered.
Some Day 1 results.

Tori Parravi (LMU) def. Ania Jeczmionka (LBS) 4-6,7-5,7-6

April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) 6-4,6-4

Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Eva Rodriguez (LBS) 6-3,7-5

Kat Facey (UCI) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) 6-4,3-6,6-2

April Bisharat (LMU) def. Sarah Cantlay (LBS) 6-2,6-2

Klaudia Malenovska (LBS) def. Sabrina Man-Song Hing (CSUN) 6-2,6-1

Ali Facey (UCI) def. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) 6-4,4-6,6-2

Karolina Rozenberg (LBS) def. Ali Facey (UCI) 7-6,6-4

Sarah Gong (UCI) def. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBS) 6-0,6-1

- UCI freshman Gong DESTROYED Long Beach St. freshman Willems

- The draw say CSUN has a Jessica Warren. I'm wondering if she's really Jessica Worring who was missing last season.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #87
country flag gouci

Re: Cal St. Fullerton Tournament

Hey fantic look at this Long Beach St. release below.

Quote:
Long Beach State's other participant in the flight, Willems, won her first match over Avriel Tomaiko in three sets 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 before losing to UC Irvine's Sarah Gong.
They didn't list Willem's score against Sarah Gong. Talk about hiding the truth!

Even though Sarah Gong DESTROYED Willems not listing the score is just LBS pettiness.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #88
country flag fantic

I'm not taking sides But am looking forward to Sarah play at SW Regional.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #89
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Thank you fantic. I am trying to heed your counsel.

For the record, LB's # 6 Karolina Rozenberg then beat UCI's Sarah Gong 2-6, 7-6, 6-3.

To the Big West tournament question, no Big West schools play at Indian Wells prior to the tournament week. Long Beach State did once around 2008 at part of the Pacific Life Open where they gave the men's and women's champs a match at the tourney. LB narrowly beat Nebraska. But that has stopped because of the cost of travelling for a home match and because the matches had to be spread out all over the facility which was odd for college tennis. Neither the men or women desired to continue.

However, I do know that UCI and UCSB arrived 2 days prior to the tournament last season while LB arrived the afternoon before because I over heard two coaches talking about it (budget) while at the tournament last year.

In my opinion, I beieve the Big West tournament results over the years are based on talent and experience of having been there year after year in later rounds. The only real anamoly is 2010 and anyone following Big West tennis knows exactly what occured there.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #90
country flag fantic

Cal Poly article on their freshmen
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles