French Open Ratings - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #181
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French Open Ratings

I am sorry but are Ronaldo and Beckham only popular for their sport?

Maria scores less than Americans in America and that is shocking why? She is getting the highest ratings in Europe in a decade.
Expat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #182
country flag pokey camp

pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziros View Post
OMG you guys still going at this? I live in NZ,when she came here,it was massive news,like a popstar coming here and the attendances at the WTA tournament were at record highs. And most people I know know who she is,and we're not a tennis country by any means
Of course it's still going. Tennis fans TF posters are the dumbest sports fans on the planet. Only they would celebrate their favorite sport getting consistently low ratings... And they’re really happy about this because low ratings = even LESS tennis broadcast + lower quality broadcasts + smaller coverage windows + less overall media coverage in the US which is really awesome and something all women’s tennis fans should be excited about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsova View Post
By far the highest ratings out of every final of the last ten years?
Why on earth as a tennis fan would you be happy about that chart?
pokey camp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #183
country flag VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Keeper of Venus & Serena

VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten View Post
Also, it's sad seeing how women's tennis used to be more popular than men's tennis in 2002-2003, and I'm sure it also got better ratings from around '98-01 too. I miss the golden age. Women's tennis' popularity has fallen so much in the last five years or so.
Yes, from 1997-2003 the women eclipsed men, often doubling their ratings. That was the *golden age* of the WTA.

Loves of my life....
Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Serena Jamica Williams
a lifelong and devoted fan since 1996

Official Life Coach of the Royal Court
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #184
Keeper of Venus & Serena

VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
I made a study on this subject years ago. Here are two tables which show the decline in TV ratings in USA. Do not blame for that the current players, it is not their fault:

This pretty much coincides with all television ratings. Since cable and now satellite, all ratings are significantly lower.

Loves of my life....
Serena Jamica Williams

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #185
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
All great points.
I've looked up several other players, and the top searches for them are almost entirely tennis-related. Even Ana Ivanovic, who is also quite attractive, has the majority of her searches related to tennis. Not one of the top searches for Sharapova has anything to do with tennis. This really underscores your discussion of having a large fanbase vs. being famous, and her lack of a cultural impact. It is actually kind of sad that all a large number of her fans care about is how she looks. I am glad for her that she has some fans who are legitimate tennis fans, and like her primarily for her game. You know the rest will bail if/when she gets older, gains weight, becomes less attractive, etc.
Your logic is not only wrong, but limited as well. Very, very limited. Are you 15 years old?
Based on your logic tennis fans are impotent and not interested in hot girls, they are not interested in pictures of the tennis players, neither of their videos, do not want to know who is the boyfriend of their idol, and do not like bikini.
But thank you, your logic made me laugh 10 minutes!
You even did not understand how stupid your comment about Ivanovic is!
And of course you did not realize that the searches, which you studied well, as per your words, show exactly how and when the fan base of Sharapova was created.
Look at graphics in my posts. But carefully, not like you did it until now. Pay attention to the beginning of July 2004. Did you see the Mont Everest in the graphic of searches?
Think 5 minutes. But think seriously, not like you did till now. Did you get it? Yes?
Then you know that the fan base of Sharapova was created within 2-3 days at the beginning of July 2004 during and after her famous Wimbledon win. At that time everything was tennis related. At that time tennis fans around the world became Sharapova's fans. Read the newspapers from that time, see some videos, if you missed that period or did not understand what had happened. Within 24 hours Maria Sharapova became star. And her Cinderella story made her the most interesting female tennis player on the earth, the brightest star on the tennis sky.
The things are very simple when you know the real reasons.
But you could continue talking about your "horny little boys", if you like it or if the facts were too much for your limited logic.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #186
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
All great points.

You mentioned her type of fanbase:

It has been argued in this thread that number of web searches reflect popularity. While there are a large number of web searches for Sharapova, the top ones are: hot maria sharapova; maria sharapova pics; kournikova sharapova; photos maria sharapova; maria sharapova pictures; maria sharapova video; fotos maria sharapova; maria sharapova boyfriend; and, maria sharapova bikini. I think that makes it obvious what her fanbase is like. Of course she does have some normal fans who are interested in her tennis, but as far as web searches goes, it is the horny little boys who dominate.

I've looked up several other players, and the top searches for them are almost entirely tennis-related. Even Ana Ivanovic, who is also quite attractive, has the majority of her searches related to tennis. Not one of the top searches for Sharapova has anything to do with tennis. This really underscores your discussion of having a large fanbase vs. being famous, and her lack of a cultural impact. It is actually kind of sad that all a large number of her fans care about is how she looks. I am glad for her that she has some fans who are legitimate tennis fans, and like her primarily for her game. You know the rest will bail if/when she gets older, gains weight, becomes less attractive, etc.
Sorry, forgot to tell you - do not visit the thread "Tennis players in bikinis"! Those who made 1,287,415 views are not tennis fans! How did you called them? "horny little boys"?
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #187
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All great points.

It has been argued in this thread that number of web searches reflect popularity. While there are a large number of web searches for Sharapova, the top ones are: hot maria sharapova; maria sharapova pics; kournikova sharapova; photos maria sharapova; maria sharapova pictures; maria sharapova video; fotos maria sharapova; maria sharapova boyfriend; and, maria sharapova bikini. I think that makes it obvious what her fanbase is like. Of course she does have some normal fans who are interested in her tennis, but as far as web searches goes, it is the horny little boys who dominate.

Oh no I've searched for pictures and videos of Maria. I've also searched "Maria sharapova boyfriend", I'm clearly not a real fan. And all this time I thought I was one of her biggest fans.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #188
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

Eurosport ratings were great I heard.
Maria Sharapova Venus & Serena Martina Hingis Anna Kournikova Monica Seles Ana Ivanovic Victoria Azarenka Jelena Dokic Laura Robson Eugenie Bouchard Heather Watson Elena Baltacha R.I.P Petra Kvitova Donna Vekic

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #189
country flag nealcaffrey

nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all nealcaffrey is a name known to all

Quote:
All great points.

this is duch a dumb post. go search serena williams on google and the next closest related search would also be "serena williams bikini" - men have jacked off to women in the internet since the internet was invented. it is not exclusive to sharapova. and who's to say that the people who are searching for maria in a bikini are not tennis fans? i am a tennis fan but also similarly interested to seeing sharapova in a bikini.
nealcaffrey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #190
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L. View Post
Yes, from 1997-2003 the women eclipsed men, often doubling their ratings. That was the *golden age* of the WTA.
Yup Yup (along with Martina and Chrissie bridging in with Monica and Steffi)! You can also throw in Billie Jean King, with the Bobby Riggs match, after he beat Margaret Court (I think it was). Yeah, those were the days for the women. I hope they come back (and they will).

So many people conveniently forget or don't realize this.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #191
Keeper of Venus & Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Yup Yup (along with Martina and Chrissie bridging in with Monica and Steffi)! You can also throw in Billie Jean King, with the Bobby Riggs match, after he beat Margaret Court (I think it was). Yeah, those were the days for the women. I hope they come back (and they will).

So many people conveniently forget or don't realize this.
I agree - the BJK/Bobbie Riggs, Martina/Chrissie and Steffi/Monica rivalry are incredible eras...but what makes the 97-03 era different is that was the only time the women were consistently more popular than the men (we can thank the men too cause they were pretty boring...I mean Carlos Moya and Marcelo Rios as the #1??? That's like what the WTA is now).

Loves of my life....
Serena Jamica Williams

Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #192
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L. View Post
I agree - the BJK/Bobbie Riggs, Martina/Chrissie and Steffi/Monica rivalry are incredible eras...but what makes the 97-03 era different is that was the only time the women were consistently more popular than the men (we can thank the men too cause they were pretty boring...I mean Carlos Moya and Marcelo Rios as the #1??? That's like what the WTA is now).
Yes, I had mentioned the 97-03 era many times earlier, and had just left them out on my previous post.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #193
country flag marianacarlos

marianacarlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Great! The complete telecast window on NBC earned a 2.0 overnight rating. I was the really amused by this tournament. and It was really a challenging tournament. really loved it.

Custom Challenge Coins
marianacarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #194
country flag Jimmy Dragoon

Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light

Not to beat this subject into the ground, but the ratings were updated on the 16th of June and the final ratings were 1.4 for the women's final and 1.7 for the men's final.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...-rainout-down/
Jimmy Dragoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote