Justine Henin: "I was like a machine, and I regret it." - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
country flag Gilas.

Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute Gilas. has a reputation beyond repute
Justine Henin: "I was like a machine, and I regret it."

Quote:
Justine, what is your biggest fear?
Being abandoned. I’m afraid of being alone, like most people I guess. But I’m doing everything I can to make sure that doesn’t happen (smiles). Otherwise I don’t have any phobias, really, no specific fears to speak of.

What is the first dream you made come true?
When I was a kid, I lived for tennis, and there wasn’t much room for anything else. When I was a teenager, I had posters of Steffi Graf in my room, and I dreamt of winning the French Open. So when I met her and won here, I made two big dreams come true. A bit later, when I was 22, I went skydiving – that was something else I’d dreamed of doing.

When were you most angry with Carlos Rodriguez (her coach)?
I was angry a lot, but I usually managed to keep it in (smiles). I remember one time when I really exploded. It was at Amelia Island, during a match against Conchita Martinez in 2004. I wasn’t feeling very well and later we found out that I had a virus – a bit like glandular fever. Carlos took me aside and started bawling me out on the side of the court, because I was playing so badly. I found that really unfair, so for once I yelled back. I really got stuck into him and he left the court. He never did that again. He was always pretty hard on me, but I knew it was for my own good. That particular time, I resented it. Generally speaking, I was lucky to have Carlos, but he was also lucky to have a player that put up with him for fifteen years (smiles).

What were the first tears you shed as a player?
I didn’t cry very much and I wasn’t very good at showing I was happy, even on momentous occasions. The only time I let myself go was when I was alone in my hotel room after a difficult loss. But when I played, I kept my emotions under control. Maybe too much. I was a machine, and now I regret it. It would have been good to show how I felt more, like men do sometimes at the end of tournaments. They keep it all in until the end, and after they win or lose in the final, they show how they feel and it’s quite touching. Even if I won a Grand Slam, I never let what I was feeling show.

What is your biggest superstition?
I always ate at the same restaurants during tournaments. I even had one restaurant for rest days and another for match days. And I always wanted to sit on the same side of the umpire and I never walked on the lines. I was really superstitious (smiles). We pretty much all are on circuit. We know that it doesn’t change anything, but it’s reassuring, it lets us get our bearings and focus on details when things aren’t going well. Now I’m not at all superstitious – I’ve taken a step back and I can see that it was ridiculous (smiles).

When did you realise you were famous?
At an event that made a major impression on me and left me speechless – it was when I went back to Brussels after winning the French Open in 2003. I was 21 and there were 10,000 people waiting on the Grand Place to celebrate and cheer me on. You’re never really prepared for moments like those, especially considering that ten minutes before I went out onto the hotel balcony there was absolutely nobody out there. I’m pretty shy, and I was worried things would go badly. Seeing so many people made me realise how things had changed for me, but also how much impact I could have on people.

If you could go back in time for an hour, what would you change?
I’d say goodbye to my mum. I didn’t think she’d leave us so quickly and I regret that I wasn't able to talk to her more or take her in my arms. If we’re talking sport, I’d go back to my Wimbledon final against Amelie Mauresmo in 2006. Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam I didn’t win, but after taking the first set 6-2, I didn’t have the mental or physical strength to finish the match. I was one set away from winning Wimbledon and it slipped through my fingers. It just wasn’t meant to be. I’m a great believer in destiny, so that’s what I think. But if I could go back to that final and find the energy to take another set, I’d do it in a heartbeat (smiles).

Have you ever cheated on court?
Honestly, never. There was that time playing Serena in 2003 when I raised my hand to say I wasn’t ready for the serve (Justine Henin raised her hand to indicate she wasn’t ready for Serena’s serve. However, she did not confirm this to the umpire, and Serena was surprised to not be given the benefit of a first serve. This made a few waves). But otherwise, honesty is very important to me. I’m not capable of openly cheating. When young players cheat at my academy, I put a stop to it immediately.

What is your worst character trait?
I have trouble keeping up friendships. I’m bad at keeping in touch with friends who live far away, and it’s a real pity, because I like people and sharing things. I’m a very intense person – when I give, I give everything. But when I cut myself off and burn bridges, I’m not pretending. I’ve always been really erratic in keeping up friendships, I’m not good at creating long-term relationships. But I’m looking for a bit more stability and I’m really working on it. In thirty years’ time, I hope I’ll be able to say that I’ve known my friends for twenty years.
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...008647802.html

Sorry if this has been posted before. Very honest and touching from Justine
Advertisement

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Justine Henin: "I was like a machine, and I regret it."

I like how she mentioned the hand. Clearly she considers that as cheating, but she never meant for it to happen. We all make mistakes.

But at "I was like a machine and I regret it" ... if she had better persons around her, she might have had better communication.
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
country flag MrProdigy555
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute

Uh huh. She obviously considers that hand incident as cheating or she wouldn't have mentioned after said question was asked.

On to the next, this little interview was actually endearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Don't make me come to T&T to huff and puff and blow your hut down, girl.
Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #4
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Uh huh. She obviously considers that hand incident as cheating or she wouldn't have mentioned after said question was asked.

On to the next, this little interview was actually endearing.
Exactly.

Some people refuse to admit they have been wrong, but after awhile they admit it. Seems to be her case.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #5
country flag Doully

Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute

What a nice wee interview.

I hope things are going well for her and her academy. Pretty gutted I couldn't listen to her RG commentary. Language barrier
Doully is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #6
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

I used to hate Justine when she played but I have grown to like her

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #7
Morning Morgan

Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute Morning Morgan has a reputation beyond repute

5 posts? Irrelevant bitch

"No, I'm not. But with you, I don't even care."
Morning Morgan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #8
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because she didn't make enough money through endorsements and now has to slog on as a commentator.

Next.

instargram
duhcity is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #9
*Nefertiti*

*Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of *Nefertiti* has much to be proud of

I don't why she's not liked in the forum. She is one of the most talented WTA players, and her game is so much fun to watch with variety and very good technique. She made 2007 a very intersting year and her USOpen 2007 matches were great.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~
*Nefertiti* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #10
debby

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nefertiti* View Post
I don't why she's not liked in the forum. She is one of the most talented WTA players, and her game is so much fun to watch with variety and very good technique. She made 2007 a very intersting year and her USOpen 2007 matches were great.
Because most of people are bitter

@Anthony at leats it's more useful than to simply show up... but you know she is hardly the first player to be a commentator BOMBSHELL !
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #11
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Justine what a fabulous woman

*waits for reps*
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #12
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
Probably because she didn't make enough money through endorsements and now has to slog on as a commentator.

Next.
You mean like Davenport, Evert, Austin etc

I still bet she made more money than you'll EVER make.

Next.
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post

Next.
She made over $20,000,000 in prize money.

She's there because she wants to be. And I enjoy still having one of the greats around. Finally maybe we will learn some things about the "real Justine".
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #14
debby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
She made over $20,000,000 in prize money.

She's there because she wants to be. And I enjoy still having one of the greats around. Finally maybe we will learn some things about the "real Justine".
Hi, long time no see you around here ! Glad you are still here.

What do you mean by "the real Justine" ?
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debby View Post
Hi, long time no see you around here ! Glad you are still here.

What do you mean by "the real Justine" ?
The Justine we never saw because she was "like a machine and regrets it"?
We know so little about her personality, what exactly makes her tick. I'm curious.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote