What is going on with Serena Williams? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Adal

Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute
What is going on with Serena Williams?

I remember few years back, everyone was complaining about her focusing only on slams and not giving a damn about other tournaments, where she would quite often lose to absolutely random players and look like she just didn't want to be there.

Now, it seems like a complete opposite. She plays quite well in regular events, but doesn't seem to bring it for GS. Last year, she won Toronto and Stanford beating the likes of Sharapova, Azarenka, Bartoli, Stosur all in straight sets. After that, completely unexpected loss to Stosur in USO final.

This year - same story. Of course the loss to Makarova, which I don't think anyone has explanation for. Then again, winning Charleston and Madrid, absolutely destroying the top 2 players in the world and then out of RG in the 1st round?

So what do you think is the reason for that? Lack of form doesn't really seem to be the case since she has been showing some good tennis before the GS. Why can't she execute at the most important tournaments anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #2
country flag joćo.
;

joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is going on with Serena Williams?

Premier tournaments are the new Grand Slams.
joćo. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that she is putting to much pressure on herself because she knows there isnt a lot of time left and is getting super tight.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
country flag Rex59

Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of

Losses/upsets happens. No guarantees.........
Rex59 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #5
country flag blamoh

blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light blamoh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adal View Post
I remember few years back, everyone was complaining about her focusing only on slams and not giving a damn about other tournaments, where she would quite often lose to absolutely random players and look like she just didn't want to be there.

Now, it seems like a complete opposite. She plays quite well in regular events, but doesn't seem to bring it for GS. Last year, she won Toronto and Stanford beating the likes of Sharapova, Azarenka, Bartoli, Stosur all in straight sets. After that, completely unexpected loss to Stosur in USO final.

This year - same story. Of course the loss to Makarova, which I don't think anyone has explanation for. Then again, winning Charleston and Madrid, absolutely destroying the top 2 players in the world and then out of RG in the 1st round?

So what do you think is the reason for that? Lack of form doesn't really seem to be the case since she has been showing some good tennis before the GS. Why can't she execute at the most important tournaments anymore?
Serena is not the Serena of 200, 2003, 2004 or 2006. Attribution: Getting older.
blamoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Adal

Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamoh View Post
Serena is not the Serena of 200, 2003, 2004 or 2006. Attribution: Getting older.
She has won 3 slams between 2003-2006 and 6 slams between 2007-2010, twice as many in the same time all while she was as you say 'getting older'.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #7
country flag Synth

Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light Synth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamoh View Post
Attribution: Getting older.
I agree with this. I think as you get older it becomes more difficult to bring out your best tennis consistently day in and day out. At their best, both Serena and Venus are capable of taking down anyone on the tour (I mean at their best level now, not their best level as in four years ago). Bringing out their best for several matches in a row (especially with Venus) becomes much more difficult the older you get.

Also, I think the older you get, the greater the chance of having an off day. And the tour is deeper now to the point where there are quite a few papers that can take out the top players who are having an off day. (I still think Razzano was an anomaly- I'm still not sure what happened there.) Makarova and Stosur, while still surprising, wasn't quite wtf? level.
Synth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #8
country flag Shafanovic.
#claypova

Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's just the immense amount of pressure she puts on herself. She knows she should win it and that pressure may be too much for some people. Even for one Serena Williams.

CLAYPOVA
Shafanovic. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #9
country flag fedhingis67

fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Serena came into this year's Australian Open with an ankle injury and wasn't moving all that well.

No excuses for her RG or USO losses though.
fedhingis67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #10
country flag Grigorpova

Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of

She's more of a mental block in Grand Slams than Stosur now.
Grigorpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #11
country flag Smitten

Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping no one actually make a thread and discovered that Serena has become what has ruined the SEWTA, a player who wins Tier I and Tier II but flops at the slams.

Since her comeback Serena has only lost twice in SEWTA tour events (Zvonareva, Borz). She is like 34-2 on the SEWTA since her comeback and a flop in the slams.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #12
country flag Young 8

Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adal View Post
So what do you think is the reason for that?
Serena Williams, Born September 26, 1981
Young 8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #13
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute

Nerves, when players get older they often become a shell of themselves mentally. She has the game to win more majors but she doesn't have the mental strength anymore.

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #14
country flag Pops Maellard
Hot Messes Need Love

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

IKR, like oh my God she lost to Wozniacki .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #15
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

million dollar question. It seems like she can't fight through that off-day as well as she used to.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote