article on the 'student-athlete' - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 10th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
article on the 'student-athlete'

article
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #2
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: article on the 'student-athlete'

So tired.of the liberal student-athlete whine.

How many 18-22 yr olds are making $20-$60k per yeat? Much less getting free training table meals, medical and preferrential student registration and tutoring?

99.5% are not even pro prospects and are getting paid to play a game. In many cases they are subs too.

Ask the other 99.5% of students working at Starbucks what they think of a student-athlete whine when those athletes get all these perks? what % of non-athletes spend more time working than in class? ALMOST ALL

Shut up or just eliminate all scholatships and see what the poor abused basketball and football players do after hs? It would not be making $15-60k plus benefits.

And again most athletes wash out... only 1/3 of the roster in hoops and football even play regularly but they all are on ride.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
So tired.of the liberal student-athlete whine.

How many 18-22 yr olds are making $20-$60k per yeat? Much less getting free training table meals, medical and preferrential student registration and tutoring?

99.5% are not even pro prospects and are getting paid to play a game. In many cases they are subs too.

Ask the other 99.5% of students working at Starbucks what they think of a student-athlete whine when those athletes get all these perks? what % of non-athletes spend more time working than in class? ALMOST ALL

Shut up or just eliminate all scholatships and see what the poor abused basketball and football players do after hs? It would not be making $15-60k plus benefits.

And again most athletes wash out... only 1/3 of the roster in hoops and football even play regularly but they all are on ride.
I agree!
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #4
country flag DrBrandonNevel

DrBrandonNevel is an unknown quantity at this point

Well stated.
DrBrandonNevel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #5
country flag evelyncarter

evelyncarter is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I have read all the article and it is interesting. If you want to write an essay or dissertation assignments then you can use dissertation writing service approved , they can help you to write better articles also...
evelyncarter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #6
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

An recent article entitled, Don't Hate the Player: Are College Athletes Working for a Degree or Working for a Cartel? is about the big money sports, but still is thought provoking.

http://www.sfweekly.com/2014-07-16/n...march-madness/
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #7
country flag gullytwin

gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice

About 98.6% of the discussions of "student-athletes" in the popular media are consumed by/with the revenue sports and relate to non-revenue sports like tennis in only one way: whatever rules, experiments, or stipulations put in place to address the problems of the revenue sports will have an undeniable impact on the other 95% per cent of the college athlete population, whether that is intended or otherwise.

The vast, vast majority of student athletes in the U.S. have absolutely no professional-sports ambitions and pursue their sport for reasons other than becoming a professional athlete. The S.F. article never mentions sports or athletes other than those in football and basketball, and in those sports there are demonstrated concerns that need to be addressed. But the same concerns hardly apply at all to sports like tennis--except that changes made to address the problems inherent in revenue sports will also impact how/whether non-revenue sports continue to function.
gullytwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #8
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullytwin View Post
About 98.6% of the discussions of "student-athletes" in the popular media are consumed by/with the revenue sports and relate to non-revenue sports like tennis in only one way: whatever rules, experiments, or stipulations put in place to address the problems of the revenue sports will have an undeniable impact on the other 95% per cent of the college athlete population, whether that is intended or otherwise.

The vast, vast majority of student athletes in the U.S. have absolutely no professional-sports ambitions and pursue their sport for reasons other than becoming a professional athlete. The S.F. article never mentions sports or athletes other than those in football and basketball, and in those sports there are demonstrated concerns that need to be addressed. But the same concerns hardly apply at all to sports like tennis--except that changes made to address the problems inherent in revenue sports will also impact how/whether non-revenue sports continue to function.
Yes, but, ... in tennis ... although its not driven by television money, prestige and alumni financial support does matter. Players have difficulty putting in the practice hours, and also completing their student courses.

One of the ideas that was discussed in the article, was extending the scholarship to more years, while keeping the eligibility to play the same. I haven't thought it all the way through, but a interesting possibility.
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 02:19 PM   #9
country flag gullytwin

gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
One of the ideas that was discussed in the article, was extending the scholarship to more years, while keeping the eligibility to play the same. I haven't thought it all the way through, but a interesting possibility.
Many schools do this (though I don't know about for the revenue sports), allowing a scholarship for a fifth year in exchange for "some work" for the institution. My daughter's and most of her friends' D1 schools allow it--but don't really advertise it.
gullytwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 03:17 PM   #10
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I heard the NCAA scholarship is over 5 years, while most finish in 4-4.5. Working though may be up to the institution

tennisbuddy12 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 02:58 AM   #11
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullytwin View Post
Many schools do this (though I don't know about for the revenue sports), allowing a scholarship for a fifth year in exchange for "some work" for the institution. My daughter's and most of her friends' D1 schools allow it--but don't really advertise it.
@tennisbuddy

My understanding is the fifth year scholarship can not be guaranteed without it being a payment to the athlete violating NCAA rules just as as promising sports cars, or free long distance phone calls. maybe that is why it is "not really advertised" But I think its common enough practice among the well funded schools to award a different scholarship or work program for the athlete in the 5 year. But it can't be guaranteed, or come out of the same part of the athletic budget.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #12
country flag 2nd_serve

N.C.A.A. Must Allow Colleges to Pay Athletes, Judge Rules

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/sp...case.html?_r=0
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #13
country flag Karlito23

Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice Karlito23 is just really nice

off topic..

I need your assistance in a research project to determine where student-athletes learned their manners and if they think mannerly behavior affects their performance. The brief, 4 minute survey, is being offered to student-athletes, ages 12-21 from sports clubs and college teams in North America. Survey can be taken electronically or on paper.

You'll receive the results from the survey and entered to win Starbuck's gift cards. Use the contact form to request the survey

http://sportive-marketing.com/north-...letes-manners/

Thank you for your help.
Karlito23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote