Mirjana's 2012 grass-court swing - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 12th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #31
country flag markdelaney

markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's 2012 grass-court swing

South holds after Deuce. Lucic holds to 15 1-1
markdelaney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #32
country flag markdelaney

markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future

bah looks bad now 1-3 down and I have to leave work. Hope the news is better when I get home !
markdelaney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #33
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

2-5
she's about to lose to South ON GRASS
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #34
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

3-6 unreal
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #35
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Oh my. I knew the lack of match play would be potentially troublesome, but not this disastrous.

Well, a terrible result. How in the hell do you lose a set 6-1 to Melanie South?

No disrespect to Melanie, but come on.

Mirjana needed her motivation from 2 years ago. One does wonder: how can she suck so badly?

Gosh, I guess Jankovic wasn't trembling in her boots at the prospect of meeting Mirjana!

What a waste of Mirjana's time and money, to put in a shit performance like this. She's over there because she wants to compete, but has she found a coach who knows how to calibrate this poor woman's bizarre game?

She had an injury, which was why she ditched Nottingham, but it was minor.

This is a crappy loss. What a waste of a main draw opportunity. Sorry, Mirjana, but beating a British gal on grass should be the biggest no-brainer of them all.

The stats of this match tell it all. Totally frittered-away all opportunities. Played like a mid-level junior, and she's 30.

If she is going to go out, you would think she would be swinging freely out there, knowing her time is limited.

I still am proud she even made a stir to get back to the big leagues, and no one will ever be able to take that from her, but the overall perspective is going to be awful, if she keeps sucking like this.

She was so motivated a couple of years ago.

I think she needs to set a firm date and retire. As in, after the US Open.

I mean, Melanie South? You can't bring yourself to beat Melanie South? In probably your last WTA main draw opportunity ever?

Now she plays qualifying everywhere.

Retire, Mirjana. Make babies.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #36
country flag Pebbles

Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute Pebbles has a reputation beyond repute

This result is depressing on so many levels. South is a solid 25k player but I never saw her as much more than that. Mirjana needs to do some serious re-evaluating this summer.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #37
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of

I thought after she won the second set she would cruise. I guess i was wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if she just didn't practice much after the French Open. That's the only explanation for such a loss. Huge points loss since she was QF last year, and she will only have one grass match under her belt when she plays Wimbledon qualifying. Hopefully, she'll get right over to Wimbledon and start practicing right away.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #38
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Well, she is slated to play Eastbourne qualifying, but one really has to question her direction after being whupped by South. Even worse is that South gave her a breadstick ... Just horrific.

Mirjana is right at 125 in the world, having already lost last year's QF points.

I mean, she totally screwed the pooch in her first grass match last year, losing to the Great Foretz-Gacon, then she got it together, only to lose the match that would have redefined her, had she won it, at Wimbledon. Scholars refer to it as The Cibulkova Apocalypse.

Now, old lady Foretz Gacon is in the Top 100 and Mirjana can't seem to crack even that mark. She had all season, again this year, to make inroads to at least get back in the Top 100, but she basically flopped.

I think, as fans, we may finally have to face facts.

She's not making it to the next level because she is not exactly a good tennis player.

We can't speak of "lost opportunities" either, because, when you are a tennis pro, every time you walk out on court is an opportunity. Big event, small event, top seed or wild card in front of you.

My concern is that Mirjana has indeed trained so hard, so diligently, in the past few years. She is in great shape, physically, and that kind of intense, hard work should have paid dividends by now i.e. at least a solid Top 100 ranking, if not Top 50.

But it was not the best dynamic for her ... She tried to make her last stab at glory after her career had already been terribly interrupted. She got fit, but she never got that sort of coaching, that extra inspiration, to nail-down the mental side of her game. That's why she loses so terrifically.

Loads of talent, and the will is there, but no world class coach was able to help her overcome those mental deficiencies in her game, to take her to the next level.

Sucks, but it is also a common story in pro sports. Tons of talent mismanaged.

It's not her fault; she has been doing the best with what she could afford. I think it's glorious she even came back to win matches at Slams again. That she was even good enough to be in a major draw again.

But, in pro tennis, you need a lot of support to make a breakthrough, and Mirjana was not able to assemble the sort of "entourage" that could have boosted a huge but clearly very uncertain talent like hers to successive levels.

She just stalled. Since she was determined to launch this comeback, I sort of wish she would have availed herself of the resources of her home country. Maybe she tried, but her relationship with her own country was so obviously complicated.

I mean, when she was reduced to NOTHING and battling IMG in 2003-2006, why did no one get a real grip on this girl's career, even from a business perspective?

She was a big enough commodity that she could have sourced all kinds of help from Croatia.

Instead, it was an alienation game, a lack of trust all the way around. Parts of it quite understandable, of course.

As it is, Mirjana managed the comeback she managed on a shoestring budget, basically flying by the seat of her pants.

That's the good part of the story, but she doesn't want to hang around much after shit like this, a dreary loss to Melanie South, when she ought to have seized this main draw opportunity and done something on a surface where she doesn't really have to think, with her edgy game.

Of course, she could absolutely still go out there and do something special, but I think we all are realizing that it is not going to happen.

Her clock was already ticking ... It's so clearly over.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #39
country flag mikireturns

And I don't mean to say Mirjana is not a "good" tennis player. She is a "Top 130" pro. She's certainly good.

But she ain't great. No she ain't.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #40
country flag mikireturns

I think she needs to start focusing on her cookbook. I will totally buy several copies of the Mirjana Lucic Cookbook, and disperse them to friends.

Not so sure I want to see her tennis, anymore, but I am interested in the cookbook.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #41
country flag mikireturns

'Good Things I Can Actually SERVE' by Mirjana Lucic

Chapter subheadings:

'Fun Stuff to Do with Bagels and Breadsticks'

'What to Do if Someone is CHOKING at your Dinner Table'

'Steffi Graf Dumplings (w/Secret Seles Sauce)'
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #42
country flag kuroishijin

kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light kuroishijin is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
I think she needs to start focusing on her cookbook. I will totally buy several copies of the Mirjana Lucic Cookbook, and disperse them to friends.

Not so sure I want to see her tennis, anymore, but I am interested in the cookbook.
mikireturns you are overcooking it lol, I mean this loss is in line with Miki results for past couple of months.

The funny thing is that even with such a bad form she is still far the best second tennis racquet in Croatia
kuroishijin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #43
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishijin View Post
mikireturns you are overcooking it lol, I mean this loss is in line with Miki results for past couple of months.

The funny thing is that even with such a bad form she is still far the best second tennis racquet in Croatia
I absolutely agree that I am way overcooking it!

Yes, Mirjana's latest result is very much "in line" with her results from the past few months.

That is the problem.

Oh ... Oh ... Another Mirjana cookbook subheading:

'How to Boil an Egg ... Instead of Laying One!'

I want her cookbook, dammit!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #44
country flag mikireturns

Oh man ... Oudin and Sesil-K actually won rounds here. Mirjana, for shame!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #45
country flag mikireturns

Oh my gosh! Stop the presses! Halt all cookbook publications!

This is indeed a dark, dark day for has-been tennis divas.

I have just learned that they finally yanked Alexandra Stevenson's entire forum in the USA group -- 'Alexandra's Addicts' (as if anyone was still freakin' addicted to her ...)

Well, I guess I was addicted to satirizing her. Some of my best tennisforum material was in the now-defunct Stevenson box.

I suppose it is an awful thing, but one of my goals was to sort of "embarrass her out of the game".

Apparently, someone heard my prayer.

If you happen to be in San Diego tomorrow, and craving shitty fast-food, do not be surprised to enter Burger King and be greeted by the words:

"Hello. My name is Alexandra. Would you like fries with that Whopper?"

Of course, she will be wearing a hairnet and, BEYOND of course, her nametag will simply read: "Superstar, Legend ... And Dancer."

Oh it's too much. Mirjana sucking royally and now THIS.

(disclaimer: I do actually have a life ... It's just so easy and so much fun to make comments on the tennisforum. So sue me. Wait. Alexandra Stevenson's mother may read this and sue. She would sue the feathers off a duck...)

Oh what a day!