What can the worst happen to you if you are just 20p short of a bus fare back home? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1
country flag Mynarco
EIFORYA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute
What can the worst happen to you if you are just 20p short of a bus fare back home?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-the-fare.html

Law student raped after being turfed off bus because she was 20p short of the fare

A teenager faces a long jail sentence after being found guilty of raping a law student who was "turfed off" the last bus home because she was 20p short of the £5 fare.

Joseph Moran struck after his 22–year–old victim was left stranded in Nottingham at 3am last December.
Nottingham Crown Court was told that CCTV footage showed the student pleading with the driver for eight minutes before he turned her away, and none of the passengers who boarded the bus offered to make up the fare.
The woman called her mother and asked to be picked up, then began walking to save her mother driving around a one–way system.
Moran, 19, of Sneinton, spotted her, then dragged her into a park and beat and raped her. The court heard he panicked when he spotted a police patrol and claimed he had found her. He denied rape but was found guilty and was also convicted of wounding with intent.
Judge James Sampson adjourned sentencing until July 27 but told Moran: "Whatever the nature of the sentence, it will be a lengthy one indeed."

The judge added that Moran's victim was "courageous and bright young woman". Following the verdicts, jurors were told she had returned to her course and was due to take her final exams.
It was also disclosed that Moran had previous convictions for burglary and causing actual bodily harm to a female family friend. The court heard he had punched, slapped and butted the woman before he was restrained.
The rape took place last December. Michael Auty, prosecuting, said the student had been out celebrating the end of her law exams when she boarded the last bus home. He told the court: "The fare was £5. She had only £4.80. The bus driver would not waive the 20p. She asked him if he could wait while she got some money from a nearby cash machine.
He refused that request too. She was effectively turfed off the bus and left stranded at 3am."
Her mother had pulled up on yards from where the attack took place. She called her daughter's mobile phone twice and could hear a "grunting" before the line went dead. Passing police officers stopped to ask if she was all right, and she said she was looking for her daughter.
Within minutes, Moran ran to the police car. He told officers: "You had better come quick. I think a girl has been raped or something." He claimed that he had been covered in mud and the victim's blood when he tried to help her. The woman's injuries were so bad that her mother failed to recognise her. She needed extensive surgery.
After the hearing, Det Chief Insp Rob Griffin said: "Despite her lasting physical, mental and emotional scars, this young woman has shown the most tremendous courage and dignity, despite the many challenges she has had to face, and has played a vital role in securing his conviction."
A statement from the victim's family read: "The last six months have been a very difficult time. We would like to thank the police, the prosecuting council and the medical staff at the Queen's Medical Centre for the care and support they have shown to us."

This can actually happen. In the UK.

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can the worst happen to you if you are just 20p short of a bus fare back hom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xepher View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-the-fare.html

Law student raped after being turfed off bus because she was 20p short of the fare

A teenager faces a long jail sentence after being found guilty of raping a law student who was "turfed off" the last bus home because she was 20p short of the £5 fare.

Joseph Moran struck after his 22–year–old victim was left stranded in Nottingham at 3am last December.
Nottingham Crown Court was told that CCTV footage showed the student pleading with the driver for eight minutes before he turned her away, and none of the passengers who boarded the bus offered to make up the fare.
Only in Brittain

EDIT: I just saw the last thing you said

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #3
country flag Vintage101

Vintage101 has disabled reputation
Re: What can the worst happen to you if you are just 20p short of a bus fare back hom

Only in Nottingham. In London we use Oyster cards, I have gone on the bus many times when it beeped red and just walked through (most of the time bus drivers don't say anything). This reminds me of how much I miss bendy buses.

I can't believe no-one gave her 20P, and what is wrong with that bus driver? If those people on the bus read that news article they will never forget the moment they all turned away from a young girl pleading with a bus driver for 8 minutes over 20p. For shame
Vintage101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #4
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Though the kid who maybe had been erroneously issued 2 valid train tickets in the same direction wasn't seriously hurt, its the same bureaucratic mentality as in: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=449637

====================================

IMO (given the hour) this girl should have sat down in the bus and refused to get off, telling the idiot driver to call the police.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #5
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

This will sound harsh and what happened to the girl was terrible but I can understand why the driver wouldn't let her on. It's pretty sucky that nobody would lend her a measly 20p, but that sums up the situation as a whole. People here aren't trustworthy. Every time I go abroad, I can't believe how easygoing transport systems are. Hardly any barriers people just get their tickets, validate them and off they go. Hardly any conductors in some places either, yet everyone seems to have valid tickets. If we had that system in the UK, nobody would pay.
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #6
country flag Wigglytuff
Enjoying married life.

Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute Wigglytuff has a reputation beyond repute

That's sick, I hope she sues the bus driver personally and the bus company as a whole.

I hope that bus driver is happy with himself.
Wigglytuff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #7
country flag ziros

ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold

This is what the world has come to
ziros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #8
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

she must be yelling at the bus driver or something?
drunk or high?
being a law student, she thought she could argue her way in the bus...

going home late at night with not enough money... tsk.
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote