Simone Alipieva - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute
Simone Alipieva

Code:
Full Name:        Simone Michael Alipieva
Date of birth:    10 January 1998
Nationality:      Denmark
Plays:            Right Handed (Double Handed Backhand)
Favourite shot:   Drop shot
Height:           167 cm (May 2012, source)
Weight:           55 kg (May 2012, source)
Club:             Lyngby

Facebook (public sports profile)

Mini bio
Simone Alipieva is of Bulgarian origin. Both her parents were active athletes although they didn't play tennis: Her father was a football player (soccer), while her mother played basketball. Simone started playing tennis in Denmark in 2005 at the age of 7 (according to herself in this video). Her first club was Sundby; later she played with Lyngby (until 2008), KB (2009-2011), and again with Lyngby from January 2012. She was considered a huge talent at a very young age, and she regularly defeated much older players. When Simone was 9 years old, she played (friendly) with Caroline Wozniacki who was very impressed and said "You're better then I was at nine" (1).

In fact, Alipieva was such an extraordinary talent in her early years that the Danish Federation gave her a special permission to play with older age groups. This meant that Alipieva could enter her first U12 Championship final already in 2008, when she was still a U10 player. It also had the consequence that Alipieva led the Danish U12 year-end rankings three years in a row (2008-2010)! At 12, she lost only one game on her way to the U12 championship title (5 matches, 10 sets)! Tennis coach Michael Mortensen, who has worked with both Caroline and Simone (and Li Na), said that Simone at 13 was perhaps even better technically than Wozniacki at the same age (1).

Passport controversy
Simone has had a Danish tennis license ever since she started playing tennis, and she has represented Denmark on numerous occasions. In May 2011, however, there seemed to be a problem with her passport or citizenship, which meant that she had to play for Bulgaria when playing international tournaments (like Tennis Europe), although she had represented Denmark until then (2). This issue was resolved a few months later, in October 2011.

Playing style
"Simone plays boy's tennis", said one of her fellow Danish juniors, Cecilie Melsted, a few years ago. Simone certainly likes to "spice it up" with a lot of variety, drop shots, volleys, half-volleys, and a lot of net approaches. Her volleys are effortless, natural, beautiful. Simone's game has an element of playfullnes to it; it's frisky, fun to watch, sometimes to the annoyment of Simone's coaches who've tried hard to make her game more conventional, more disciplined and more serious (according to an article in the hard-edition of Jyllandsposten). "Girl's tennis is boring. They're just standing on the baseline screaming and keeping the ball in play", she said in an interview 2010 (3).

Her playing style makes her an exceptional doubles player, and she wins a lot of doubles titles too (perhaps even more than singles).

Danish Junior Championship titles:
2009 (U12): Singles indoor, singles outdoor, doubles indoor, doubles outdoor
2010 (U12): Singles indoor, singles outdoor, doubles indoor, doubles outdoor, mixed outdoor
2011 (U14): Doubles indoor (didn't participate at outdoor championships 2011)
2012 (U14): Singles indoor, doubles indoor (outdoor championships not played yet)

She has some silvers and bronzes too, of course (for instance silver in U12 singles in 2008).

Important international results

Bambini Cup in Austria was a major breakthrough for Alipieva. She won the tournament convincingly, losing only 12 games in 6 matches and beating some very talented players on her way to the title (notably Fanny Stollar and Tereza Mihalikova, with career high ranks of #5 and #2 respectively at TE U14).

The U12 Orange Bowl in December 2010 wasn't quite as successful but perhaps the circumstances weren't the best: Simone's father was denied visa to USA, so Simone had to go without him. She lost in first round to eventual title winner Nicole Frenkel. Simone was the only player to win a set against Frenkel until the final (if that's any consolation).

This was a great year, and Simone was winning a lot of Tennis Europe titles, especially during the summer when she had a 21 match winning streak - winning four singles titles in a row (G3 & G2) before losing the Bambini semifinal. Simone won 11 Tennis Europe titles in 2011 (5 singles and 6 doubles) in just 13 finals (6 singles and 7 doubles)!

She got her ITF debut in Oslo (G5) in October of 2011, winning three qualification matches and one md match. In her next ITF tournament in Denmark two weeks later (G4) she reached the final in doubles.

Won doubles at ITF Copenhagen (G4). Won TE Copenhagen singles (U16). WTA debut in Copenhagen (lost 61 61 to Chakvetadze in qualification). Helped Denmark win the combined Nordic Team Championship - a prestigious annual U13 and U15 event for boys and girls (Denmark's first win in 17 years in an event normally dominated by Sweden!). Reached her first ITF semifinal in Estonia (G4).

Last edited by angliru : Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Simone Alipieva

Online articles (in Danish!)

June 2010 Politiken article about the gap in Denmark after Wozniacki (briefly featuring Alipieva)

October 2010 Ekstra Bladet interview with Alipieva

October 2010 BT article "Caroline says I'm better"

October 2010 Ekstra Bladet article about the Wozniackis helping Alipieva.

May 2011 Jyllands-Posten article (2 pages) about Alipieva (even longer in the hard-issue of same date)

November 2011 Tv2 article about Alipieva's potential as Denmarks next sports star.

Videos (Danish audio, if any)

I don't have links to any of Simone's matches, and I'm not sure if any exists. But I know for sure that a handful of her matches have been streamed, as I've been watching some of these (Drottningens Pris, Stockholm 2011 & 2012, Danish indoor championships 2011).

She has appeared on Danish TV2's "Go'morgen Danmark" and "Go'aften Danmark" several times but I only have a working link to one of these (May 2011):
http://go-dyn.tv2.dk/aftentv/id-39938939.html

Another brief clip from "Go'morgen Danmark" is this one but unfortunately it only contains the intro - not the main interview supposed to appear after the break:
http://video-dyn.tv2.dk/index.php/id-34195085.html

There have been several other TV2 clips, and I think I have recorded a couple over the past years. The Danish Tennis Federation has also made a lot of short clips in which Simone features either very briefly (the last three videos) or more exstensively:

http://www.on-sport.dk/video/791118/md-danmarks-strste
http://www.on-sport.dk/photo/827477
http://www.on-sport.dk/video/4859908...double-s-sjovt
http://www.on-sport.dk/video/6310495...nmark-vandt-de
http://www.on-sport.dk/video/2007699...er-jacobsgaard
http://www.on-sport.dk/video/3936094...tag-p-elite-og
http://www.on-sport.dk/video/1926545...mpe-ved-nm-for

Finally I found a very brief youtube clip with Simone hitting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poFLWuStggw

Last edited by angliru : Jun 6th, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #3
country flag angliru

Some photos:

Kronborg Open, July 2007

Kronborg Open, July 2007

Won singles silver at the indoor junior championships March 2008. The boy is Denmark's presently best junior Mikael Torpegaard.

With doubles partner Julie Noe (right) after winning bronze at U12 outdoors championships July 2008.

Some of KB's medal winners at the Danish Junior Championships July 2009 (outdoors). From left: Alex Barbat, Cecilie Melsted, Simone Alipieva, Johannes Ingildsen, Nikolai Katic, Kasper Elsvad, Sofie Flader, Julie Noe og Vibe Baumann.

At Wozniacki Academy, Farum, June 2010 (sitting far left). Emma Rønholt, another big talent, is standing 3rd from right

SEB Talent Cup, September 2010 (3rd from left)

U13 girls at the Nordic Team Championships, June 2011. From left: Coach Jacobsgaard, Helena Steenberg, Ida Krause, and Simone Alipieva.

The Danish Team at the Nordic Team Championships, June 2011. Simone's holding the flag.

Appeared on the tv-show "Go' morgen Danmark", June 2011.

Won U14 doubles with Emilie Håkansson at TE Rungsted, July 2011.

Runner Up at TE Sánchez - Casal Youth Cup, September 2011

With Emilie Francati (left) at SEB Talent Cup, September 2011. They were the finalists, but the final was postponed because of rain. Alipieva eventually won by walkover when a new date was scheduled several weeks later.

At Tennis Europe Winter Cup, February 2012. With Helena Steenberg (left) and Emilie Håkansson (right).

Danish U14 indoors championships (winner), April 2012

Profile picture at tennis.dk (Danish Tennis Federation).

Simone (left) with Emma Rønholt, coach Jens A. Andersen, and Emilie Francati.

With Emilie Francati (left), Emma Rønholt (right) and coach Jens A. Andersen at the Nordic Team Championships in Oslo, Norway, May 2012.

With Helena Steenberg (left) after winning the Nordic Team Championship, May 2012.

Last edited by angliru : Jul 8th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #4
country flag InTheAir

InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice

Nice intro. Well done. Will be interesting to follow Simone. Her result in Estonia last week was excellent. Seems like her next tournament will be ITF in Odense in 1,5 week.
InTheAir is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #5
country flag angliru

Yes, Odense seems to be the next.

Schedule

18 Jun - 23 Jun 2012, ITF Odense 2012, DEN, G4
25 Jun - 30 Jun 2012, Dancook Junior Cup, DEN, ITF G5
01 Jul - 03 Jul 2012, European Summer Cups - Girls 14&U Qual, Zone B, France

Plus the Danish Junior Championships later in July.
I've added some photos in a previous post...
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #6
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the great intro...
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #7
country flag angliru

Thanks.

Oops, she's playing Tennis Europe in Italy next week. I missed that one.

Updated schedule

11 Jun - 16 Jun 2012, 48° "Torneo dell'Avvenire", ITA, TE U16, G1

18 Jun - 23 Jun 2012, ITF Odense 2012, DEN, G4

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #8
country flag angliru

Busy schedule for Simone at the moment. She played 1st single in a club match for Lyngby today. She defeated Catrine Bjerrehus, Århus 6-1 6-2. Solid win against Bjerrehus - a 23 years old who plays college tennis in the States.

Simone also won her doubles match. Well done! Lyngby lost the match 4-5 though.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #9
country flag angliru

Torneo dell'Avvenire, Milan, Italy, TE U16, G1

1R
(11) Simone Alipieva def. Jasmine Paolini (ITA) 7-6(6) 2-6 7-6(16)

OMG, Simone had to work hard for that win! Jasmine Paolini is almost exactly two years older. Great win. Well done

This is a really strong tournament, one of the most important U16 events of the year. Last year's winner, Ostapenko, already has a couple of semifinals on the pro tour! Any match here will be a big test for Simone. GL!
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #10
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

What a scoreline
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #11
country flag angliru

Torneo dell'Avvenire, Milan, Italy, TE U16, G1

2R
Federica Mordegan (ITA) def. (11) Simone Alipieva 6-2 4-6 6-2

I knew it was going to be difficult, especially after such an epic 1st round match. At least Simone got to show us that she's a fighter. Now it's back to Denmark for a couple of junior ITF's...
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:20 PM   #12
country flag angliru

Simone won her 2nd career ITF doubles title today. Excellent! She reached 3rd round in singles.

ITF Odense (G4)

1R
(3) Simone Alipieva/Ulrikke Høyer vs bye

2R
(3) Simone Alipieva/Ulrikke Høyer d. Pamela Boyanov (AUS)/Milica Novakovic (SRB) 6-1 6-0

QF
(3) Simone Alipieva/Ulrikke Høyer d. Pauline Jahren (NOR)/Ida Skancke (NOR) 6-2 6-1

SF
(3) Simone Alipieva/Ulrikke Høyer d. (5) Emilie Francati/Emma Rønholt 2-6 6-2 [10-5]

Final
(3) Simone Alipieva/Ulrikke Høyer d. (1) Martine Ditlev/Julie Noe 7-5 7-5
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:59 PM   #13
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome news
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #14
country flag angliru

Simone has a new career high rank this week (ITF): She's now ranked #500. She's #7 among girls born 1998 or later. She lost 2nd round singles at Århus ITF this week, but she's in the doubles semifinal.

Updated schedule

09 Jul - 15 Jul 2012, BNP PARIBAS Cup - Stade Français Paris, TE U14, G1

This means that Simone will miss the Danish Junior Championships (09 July - 14 July).
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:49 AM   #15
country flag angliru

Simone has played ITF in Århus, Denmark, the past week. She lost in the 2nd round singles to the eventual titles winner Lizette Cabrera (AUS), and was a runner up in doubles, partnering Mathilda Malm (SWE). Simone now has three doubles finals in 2012 (including 2 titles), and 2 semifinals in only 6 ITF appearances. Simone has been quite succesful in doubles, which is perhaps no surprise.

She's playing Europe Team Championship qualies in France today and the next few days (link in the post above). Denmark is up against Bosnia today.