Is Azarenka better on Grass than on Clay? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM   #1
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Is Azarenka better on Grass than on Clay?

People in the results thread are saying words to the effect that grass should be more to Azarenka's liking than clay is. I'm really not sure - although it's pretty clear to everyone that slow hardcourts are her best surface, it seems to me grass should be even less well-suited to her than clay. We saw at the beginning of the year that Azarenka's at her most effective when she can step inside the baseline and take the ball on the rise to compensate for her lack of raw power, but I just don't know if she's going to have enough time to do that on grass. We saw in her Wimbledon semifinal against Kvitova last year that she was reduced to being completely reactive (yes, she won a set, but only thanks to Kvitova's brainfart), which was a stark contrast to her performance against Kvitova at the super-slow YEC where she was able to impose herself to some extent.

Also, with her serve still as much of a liability as ever, she relied on having enough time to scramble back sizzling returns that her opponents hit on slow hardcourts - again, will she have time to do that on grass?

Thoughts?
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM   #2
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Azarenka better on Grass than on Clay?

No. Last years Wimbledon SF is the best thing she's ever done on grass. Not sure if it was her worst Slam before that? She will be able to move better in it but once she comes up against an in form Serena, Petra or Masha. Or even one of the BBBs or UE Queens playing well, she's in trouble.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM   #3
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
No. Last years Wimbledon SF is the best thing she's ever done on grass. Not sure if it was her worst Slam before that? She will be able to move better in it but once she comes up against an in form Serena, Petra or Masha. Or even one of the BBBs or UE Queens playing well, she's in trouble.
Nah, not really, one of her 3 previous Slam QFs came at Wimbledon.

Strangely, her worst Slam by far is the US Open, even though it should be her second-best
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM   #4
country flag Becool

Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute

Vikapower thinks so

serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki
vesnina × keys × mladenovic

facebook ~ twitter
[#ps - in portuguese]
Becool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

She's much better on hardcourts than clay and grass.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #6
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

She's pretty useless on both, but she's slightly less inept on clay I'd say. She's actually reached some big clay finals and beat quality players on the surface. She looked lost during most of her Wimbledon semi last year. Shitra gift-wrapped her that second set.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #7
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

I hope so, SF Wimbledon last year but with a not so difficult draw iirc. She best on HC, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Nah, not really, one of her 3 previous Slam QFs came at Wimbledon.

Strangely, her worst Slam by far is the US Open, even though it should be her second-best
Last year she met Serena on fire and played one very good set. USO results are going to get better in time.
StoneRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becool View Post
Vikapower thinks so
I am afraid Vika would have said the same thing about clay if this defeat was on hard court.

In fact, during the RG warm up tournaments, whenever Vika lost, Vikpower will point to the next tournament as the most important.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jun 3rd, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM   #9
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

her shots are equaly crap on both, although she "looks" better on grass because most of the players moving much worse on grass. And one of her main weapon is consistent rallying/hitting.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #10
country flag Halepsova

Halepsova has disabled reputation

You are definitely not bad on grass if reaching SF at Wimbledon.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #11
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

previous Wimbledon - she has beaten №66, №53, №23(in three sets), №37, and №80 in SF......... Really "indicative" draw to estimate her real grass capablities
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
country flag vozas

vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute

I think she's even worse on grass than clay. Clay at least allowed her to hit the balls consistently early, which is has always been her standout attribute by far. The problem with clay is that it requires her to generate her own pace, which she simply cannot due to the default lack of firepower on her game, especially from the forehand, and also severely exposes her shit serve.

On grass she's outrallied, to the core of her game is immediately neutralized. She may get more winners off the BH side but I don't expect her to do much at Wimbledon. If she draws Barthel in the early rounds she's in big, big trouble.

I do expect her to go very far at the USO unless she's burnt out and unmotivated by then, which is a strong possibility given her alter ego Retirenka still looming.

So yeah, slow ass HCs a la Australia, Sydney, IW and Miami will always be where she's at her most dangerous. Much like Li Na, her best surface will remain plexicushion.
vozas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM   #13
country flag vozas

vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute vozas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT2009 View Post
Safina reached the SF and she had probably the worst grass court game out of any top player ever. Eveb slumping Hantuchova took her to 3 sets last year IIRC
vozas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #14
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And e.g. the final of Eastbourne by beating Clijsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSetAndMatch View Post
She's pretty useless on both, but she's slightly less inept on clay I'd say. She's actually reached some big clay finals and beat quality players on the surface.

So in other words, she isn't "quite useless" on that surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSetAndMatch View Post
Shitra gift-wrapped her that second set.

Sure, sure.

Some people here.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #15
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's because she had the supreme powder/cream puff draw. And every one called it, long before she made the semifinal. It was predicted. And if she didn't, Vika would of been under severe scrutiny and criticism.

This year could be waaaaay different, with the likes of Petra Martic, Lucie Hredecka, Kaia Kanepi, Mona Barthel, Dommie Cibulkova, Bartoli, Serena (in the quarters, if she makes it that far), and God Forbid, Venus even as possible dangerous floaters for Azarenka.

And now Vika, says she won't play before SW19. Besides the rest and burn out, my take is, she doesn't want another loss before Wimby, as the current #1 player.

But I'm sure she, Sam and Mauresmo knows best. And good luck to her for the upcoming grass season.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote