Grass is greener (2012 grass season) - Page 49 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM   #721
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grass is greener (2012 grass season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS_ View Post
I guess my sarcasm doesn't transfer well over the net.
Or it's just my brain.
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 07:35 PM   #722
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OH, and since I haven't been here much lately, my two cents on the topic of boyfriend and coaching.
I kinda agree with Izzy.

The way I feel about Scott (Adam) is well known. I just don't understand the argument. Just because Ana is an idiot doesn't mean he isn't a douchbag and an asshole.
These are two separate things.
It's like: I may leave mistakenly my house door open, and a thief may come into MY house and take stuff from it. Yes I am responsible for leaving the door open, but he is responsible for going into SOMEONE ELSE's house and taking stuff that doesn't belong to him. It wasn't his, and by no stretch of the imagination is he a good guy. He is simply a thief, period. The same with abused women. Are we now going to say that the abusers are ok, because the women allow it to happen? No.
(Not saying Adam is an abuser, this was just an analogy)
I find it obvious and not even discussionworthy that there are good partners and bad partners or whatever adjectives you may want to use. Some partners can help bring the best from you, others put you down. How many men do we know for whom we think they should be thankful to their wives for their career success and vice versa?
Clearly there are external factors and the way we respond. It's not just one or the other.
And I also understand why Izzy can't understand selfdeclared biggest fans of Ana rooting for Adam. It would be like my sister who loves me, wanting the aforementioned thief to do well in life.
Exactly.. and one behaviour can't excuse the other... if one is weak, that doesn't give the other the right to be an asshole and take advantage of it to his own benefit/other prejudice.

Quote:
Also, Izzy, now that I am taking your side may I ask you to please stop saying how you were kicked out of the forum because people will mostly connect me with it, since we argued back then. When the fact is you weren't kicked out, you left on your own when Ana got back with Adam and I fully supported you and your sentiments, while in the previous instance when we were arguing you hadn't left (which I was later very happy about for I would have felt very lousy if it had actually happened because of me), but it was I who did.
All right. Sorry.

Quote:
OK, now on the topic of coaching, I also kinda agree with you (Izzy).
Not necessarily agree that Nigel is going the safe route with Ana, but I think I know what you mean, and please correct me if I am wrong.
I think what you are trying to say is this: basically Ana used to have a high risk game. High risk game means you go for shots with little margin so you can be dangerous but aslo can be missing a lot. There was an outcry on various media (Serbian mostly) how Ana is stupid and only ballbashes and whatnot so as a result she now thinks smart game=safe game.
Obviously, Ana's attitude is of this kind: either you go for the shots, but then have a higher risk of UEs, or you play conservatively, but then you are less dangerous. So she chose the second route.

But there is also a third route which Ana has forsaken. You don't buy your consistency by trading your aggressive game; you buy it by going for the lines, but you actually reduce the amount of UE's by becoming more precise. And how do you do that? By practicing and playing more. You have to pay the price somewhere. As we say in Serbia, ili platis na mostu ili na cupriji. Adequate translation, anyone?
This was her winning strategy back in the heyday, but now she just doesn't seem to be willing to pay that price.

Those were my two cents, just don't drag me into an infinite discussion, please.
You are on the right track to get what I was saying..

I do think this "average game" route is what Ana and Nigel have agreed on though. She said that as soon as she started working with him he told her the first thing they had to work on was her FH. Make it less risky.. add spin, add air to it, so its not hit and miss. I do think he wants her to be aggressive within that, but this safer mentality isn't really compatible with being aggressive all the time in Ana's mind. She has to take something out of it to make it safer. But that also limits her game.

I just don't think this is the right route.. Ana won't ever be fast enough or smart enough to make that work... she can perfect this kind of game and even improve the BH, but wont ever be special playing like this. She is only dangerous when she is really going for her shots.. and for that to happen on a consistent basis she would actually have to be working on being super aggressive in practice instead of working on putting air on her shots. The little she works she isn't working on being aggressive but on being consistent.. then that's what she will attempt to do in matches, and she is just an average player doing that. Its just taking what made Ana special away.

It's like if Kvitova or Sharapova decided to start playing a percentage game right now.. trying to emulate lets say Vika's game. They'd never be top players, because they can't play that game well enough.. and playing that game negates what makes them top players.

Now sure.. Ana will be more consistent with the average game because she barely runs any risk.. she isn't really losing matches anymore.. the ones she loses are usually won by the opponent. Diminishes the risk of bad losses.. But she is foresaking control over the outcome of matches and she is foresaking any possibility of having a game that could bother top players.. they will be more aggressive and even more consistent.

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM   #723
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
I don't think being satisfied with performing as expected if that is early round after early round is a positive or will lead her to do more than she is doing right now. She might have the desire to improve.. but satisfaction with results will only lead her to think there is no need for more/different work and that it will eventually improve as she'd be on the right path work wise. And that's not true.
yeah, but you have to give her the right to feel the pleasure of improving. we concluded long time ago that ana is a headcase, no? you can't expect people like that to thrive on pressure and desire. they need a pat on the back on their way. it might even motivate them more, who knows.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 07:47 PM   #724
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
yeah, but you have to give her the right to feel the pleasure of improving. we concluded long time ago that ana is a headcase, no? you can't expect people like that to thrive on pressure and desire. they need a pat on the back on their way. it might even motivate them more, who knows.
But that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.. she can and should look at the positives... be glad she served well, for an example. But be satisfied with early round losses is just not an option if she is to have any shot at doing better in the future. If she is satisfied with this, she won't be improving.

And not being satisfied is not thriving on pressure and desire.. not being satified is just hoping and wanting more.. which is the only way of achieving more. If you are just satisfied with this, then its as JAS said.. its just not really wanting more, just wanting to be left alone and pat along.. which could be the case with Ana, but excludes possibility of doing more.

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM   #725
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Izzy, I think you're equalizing "conforming" and "being satisfied". I don't think that anyone suggested that she should conform, it always leads to mediocrity. I just think that, given the circumstances, she should be happy that she made those half-decent results on grass.

She'll hardly improve, tho. If she doesn't do something great on USO, it might become too late. This year she had too many chances.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 08:23 PM   #726
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
Izzy, I think you're equalizing "conforming" and "being satisfied". I don't think that anyone suggested that she should conform, it always leads to mediocrity. I just think that, given the circumstances, she should be happy that she made those half-decent results on grass.

She'll hardly improve, tho. If she doesn't do something great on USO, it might become too late. This year she had too many chances.
No.. I don't think she should conform obviously.. but she shouldn't be satisfied or be happy with this either. She should look at whatever positives she can find, but happy and satisfied? Never.

I agree she had too many chances this year.. and wasted them all. Somehow this year is more frustrating then the past 3 for me. Its like she is always in the position to do something, and always fails miserably, for one reason or another. Before.. there were worse results and all, and it was probably more painful and embarrassing... but this all is really frustrating. She has a coach for the first time in years, and can't really do anything significant. Following a "3rd round" player is just frustrating.. that's the word.

Out of 13 tournaments this year, Ana had 7 round of 16 losses, 2 1st round, 2 round of 32, 1 QF and 1 semi. Consistent 3rd round player.

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM   #727
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.. she can and should look at the positives... be glad she served well, for an example. But be satisfied with early round losses is just not an option if she is to have any shot at doing better in the future. If she is satisfied with this, she won't be improving.

And not being satisfied is not thriving on pressure and desire.. not being satified is just hoping and wanting more.. which is the only way of achieving more. If you are just satisfied with this, then its as JAS said.. its just not really wanting more, just wanting to be left alone and pat along.. which could be the case with Ana, but excludes possibility of doing more.
i diagree about not being satified. you can be satisfied and want more

and you can still want more...
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 08:45 PM   #728
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:

and you can still want more...
ok.. we disagree then..

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 09:11 PM   #729
country flag Cajka

Quote:
I don't think this is Ana's case, but I agree basically. It's not like you need to be frustrated to make a big result, there are cases of slow, gradual improvement. But a big breakthrough is more likely to happen. If you stay in some comfort zone, it's too difficult to change. But it doesn't have to be like that. Vika and Aga managed to leave their comfort zone, Novak as well.

I don't believe that Ana will. She's too weak.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 09:15 PM   #730
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
I don't think this is Ana's case, but I agree basically. It's not like you need to be frustrated to make a big result, there are cases of slow, gradual improvement. But a big breakthrough is more likely to happen. If you stay in some comfort zone, it's too difficult to change. But it doesn't have to be like that. Vika and Aga managed to leave their comfort zone, Novak as well.

I don't believe that Ana will. She's too weak.
Its not about being frustrated though.. looking into positives, just not satisfied, not happy with an early loss in any case.

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 11:24 PM   #731
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

She has no backhand, that's the biggest problem, shanked so many balls and hits that shot so amateurish, so badly, with no pace, with nothing in it. Everything else is solid, but sometimes kept serving into Kim's forehand and made bad choices on passing shots, which is acting stupid and which is her main problem.
At least she justified her seeding, the mixed draw is tough, but, hopefully, Nenad and she will give their all. Olympics still last for Ana.
Well, her will is there, but she has to work. To work, to work. But, enjoy the rest of your Olympics, Ana!
Linguae^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #732
country flag azdaja

Quote:
Its not about being frustrated though.. looking into positives, just not satisfied, not happy with an early loss in any case.
looking into positives is trying to find comfort and satisfaction in defeat. and being satisfied is also being realistic. you need to know where you are if you want to make progress. otherwise you will be delusional and you might make wrong decisions. we've seen that from ana in the past.

i don't really think ana is satisfied, btw, i'm sure she wants more.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #733
country flag azdaja

the olympic games
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM   #734
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
the olympic games

Lets see if Ana can actually get a hold of her fitness now.. no more freezing fear of injury prior to OG.