Grass is greener (2012 grass season) - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM   #16
country flag JAS_

JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grass is greener (2012 grass season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria7 View Post
I was thinking about that too. How she is going to play both, singles and mixed doubles at the Olympics when she's "tired and exhausted" after playing an hour and a half long match? She was tired, exhausted, mentally and physically drained after 2 matches in Fed Cup In Moscow. She said it. When was the last time Ana played 5 matches in a row? In Linz '10? When she played 3 tournaments in a row? And all of a sudden she will find enough energy and strength to play singles and mixed doubles in London? Without playing or practicing with Ziki before that...

Last time they played together was at USO - 10 months ago... and they lost in 1st R. Maybe it would be better if he asked JJ to play doubles in London, she has won GS on grass...
I was thinking about that too. And feeling sorry for Ziki. But then again, in the Olympics he must play with a Serbian player, so who else would be better? JJ? Bojo?
Probably Vesna.
JAS_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM   #17
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
I wasn't even going to mention this, because I'm really giving up on it, but... Is Ana ever going to do something about her fitness? She has been unfit and unable to compete in competitive 3 setters or in any longish match in almost 2 years. I think she only won 1 single match that lasted over 1h30min in that whole time spam. Its clearly an issue and she doesn't even have a fitness coach. What about Nigel? Is he even going to adress this issue?
From 2010 until now? Not one match. She won two 3 setters in 2010 + three 3 setters after that (1 last year + 2 this year). There were probably some other matches that lasted longer than 90 minutes. But overall her record is poor.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #18
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was thinking about that too. How she is going to play both, singles and mixed doubles at the Olympics when she's "tired and exhausted" after playing an hour and a half long match? She was tired, exhausted, mentally and physically drained after 2 matches in Fed Cup In Moscow. She said it. When was the last time Ana played 5 matches in a row? In Linz '10? When she played 3 tournaments in a row? And all of a sudden she will find enough energy and strength to play singles and mixed doubles in London? Without playing or practicing with Ziki before that...

Last time they played together was at USO - 10 months ago... and they lost in 1st R. Maybe it would be better if he asked JJ to play doubles in London, she has won GS on grass...
Yes, last time Ana played 5 matches in a row was Linz 2010. She was fit back then though.. since that 2010 off season, she just can't play any longish match at all. Only win was against Pervak in IW. Even Fed Cup match against Pavs lasted less than 1h30min.

About Olympics.. Ana said it was more important to have good result at Wimbledon.. I wouldn't expect much from OG if I were you..

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM   #19
country flag JAS_

JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing: I couldn't help but think that if Ana had been playing doubles more often she wouldn't have felt so helpless at the net. But then again, I guess she can't risk injuries, and that's because she is frail, and she is frail because...? A vicious circle really.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 06:01 PM   #20
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, last time Ana played 5 matches in a row was Linz 2010. She was fit back then though.. since that 2010 off season, she just can't play any longish match at all. Only win was against Pervak in IW. Even Fed Cup match against Pavs lasted less than 1h30min.

About Olympics.. Ana said it was more important to have good result at Wimbledon.. I wouldn't expect much from OG if I were you..
Matches against Pervak, Kirilenko and Fran were longer than 90 minutes. The match against King was probably around 90 minutes. She needs a fitness coach, that's for sure, but it's not that she can't win a match that lasts longer than 90 minutes. She's a pro. And she won't lose a 3rd set 6:0 or retire. She must improve the endurance, mental and physical, but it's not like she can't win any match that's only a bit longer than 60 minutes.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 06:02 PM   #21
country flag JAS_

One other thing. In the period before Novak took off - so pre Davies Cup win - I remember there was a lot of talk about "preserving energy" for the next tournament each time he would lose. Both between fans and commies. And I remember thinking how that was a stupid way to think about it, but since it was sooo much talked about I figured this must have somehow reflected his attitude. And really, once Novak found a way to deal with his physical issues this theme just disappeared, proving that the more you play and the fitter you are, the readier you are for your matches (as long as you don't get injured), otherwise my mom would be fitter because she isn't exerting herself much.
I am having an impression that Ana now has this attitude - that she is afraid to go all out, that she must somehow preserve it (thus the priority statement).
I think, like in Novak's case, it's just a bullshit statement that is supposed to cover lack of fitness. Or lack of adequate fitness to be more precise.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM   #22
country flag gloria7

gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all

Girls...you've probably read Mike Joyce's interview (on Sharapova and Woz)...what a smart man and a coach. When he said : " The coach has to commit to learning about the player, and the player has to leearn to trust her instructor. That's why i laugh at players who change coaches all the time, because it take a while to get to know somebody. We, as men ,have a enough trouble figuring out women in general, let alone when they are playing a sport like tennis"...i was thinking - OMG, he just described Ana....

But i really liked what he said to Pova : "You can qiut tennis now and be fine, or keep playing and you can be ranked No.15 and try to be happy with that, or you can suck it up, stop looking at people for answers and take some responsibility for yourself". If he were Ana's coach and in position to tell her that - she would fire him in a heartbeat...but it would be worth it.
gloria7 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM   #23
evana

evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold evana is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
She said it for B92. She said that Eastbourne is not the priority and that she plays it only to prepare for W.

I dont like it. I'd like her to take this tournament seriously. I dont think she can afford "tanking" tournaments, when she just lost on her favorite surface to a player like Errani. A win in Eastbourne could help her confidence. The game is there, but she needs some mental toughness to be able to find a way to battle out tight matches.
evana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM   #24
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Matches against Pervak, Kirilenko and Fran were longer than 90 minutes. The match against King was probably around 90 minutes. She needs a fitness coach, that's for sure, but it's not that she can't win a match that lasts longer than 90 minutes. She's a pro. And she won't lose a 3rd set 6:0 or retire. She must improve the endurance, mental and physical, but it's not like she can't win any match that's only a bit longer than 60 minutes.
Kirilenko/Fran/Pavs were all around 1h30min.. not more than that. King was a bit less than 1h30min. She can win up until then or around that.. but not more.. if it gets to 2 hours she has no shot, even in 2 set match. She isn't fit enough.. and seems to get emotionally exhausted as well.

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM   #25
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Girls...you've probably read Mike Joyce's interview (on Sharapova and Woz)...what a smart man and a coach. When he said : " The coach has to commit to learning about the player, and the player has to leearn to trust her instructor. That's why i laugh at players who change coaches all the time, because it take a while to get to know somebody. We, as men ,have a enough trouble figuring out women in general, let alone when they are playing a sport like tennis"...i was thinking - OMG, he just described Ana....

But i really liked what he said to Pova : "You can qiut tennis now and be fine, or keep playing and you can be ranked No.15 and try to be happy with that, or you can suck it up, stop looking at people for answers and take some responsibility for yourself". If he were Ana's coach and in position to tell her that - she would fire him in a heartbeat...but it would be worth it.
The bolded part if brilliant.. SO true. He would definitely get fired if he told Ana that.. and I don't think it would be worth it.. she wouldn't take anything out of it.

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 07:38 PM   #26
country flag JAS_

Quote:
Kirilenko/Fran/Pavs were all around 1h30min.. not more than that. King was a bit less than 1h30min. She can win up until then or around that.. but not more.. if it gets to 2 hours she has no shot, even in 2 set match. She isn't fit enough.. and seems to get emotionally exhausted as well.
This is a good observation. When one is stressed out, adrenaline works more than usual. Afterwards one feels drained. So, if she gets all twisted and freaked out, plus she doesn't breath properly, it might just be that she feels exhausted as a result?
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM   #27
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS_ View Post
This is a good observation. When one is stressed out, adrenaline works more than usual. Afterwards one feels drained. So, if she gets all twisted and freaked out, plus she doesn't breath properly, it might just be that she feels exhausted as a result?
I think its a combination of factors. She isn't physically fit enough.. so she knows she won't last 2 hours.. so when it gets tough and the match drags out, she starts to get worked up, anxious to end it, and then rushes. That game at 4-4 where she missed like 4 straight shots.. I think she rushed it. So that anxiety makes her even more tired, so she rushes even more. Vicious cicle. I think if she was able to control her emotions better she would feel less tired, but fitness would still be an issue, since her body isn't cooperating either.

I still don't know how she won that 3 hour match against Pervak.. it actually had long rallies. Maybe she really had the right mentality for that match and didn't get all worked up.

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM   #28
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

Quote:
yeah, she didn't look too disappointed. And she was hilarious when she said: "Odigrala sam jedan stvarno grozan gem na 4:4." Like a child.
How many pills did she take before saying it?! She can't be that much retarded, at least she has that intelligence.
Linguae^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 10:53 PM   #29
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
The bolded part if brilliant.. SO true. He would definitely get fired if he told Ana that.. and I don't think it would be worth it.. she wouldn't take anything out of it.
I always find that there are uncanny similarities between Ana and Maria, both are good at tennis, both love to play tenns, both are born in 1987, both are tall and attractive, both have won slam titles and both have been No. 1; and of all the WTA players, Ana is one of a handful that Maria pays attention to.

I've been hoping for a Ana renaissance like the Maria renaissance that we're witnessing and I haven't given it up yet.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:44 AM   #30
country flag Cajka

Quote:
The match against King was 1 hour and 30 minutes. The other 2 matches were longer. I remember that I was surprised to read that those matches were actually long.

Edit: Blic says it was 90 minutes against King, B92 says it was 1 hour and 42 minutes against Fran and 1 hour and 53 minutes against Makiri. I just checked it. It's not great, but better than 90 minutes. I mean, she's not great, but she's not a mug neither.

Last edited by Cajka : Jun 2nd, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote