Canadian official calls Bush a moron! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:16 PM   #1
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute
Canadian official calls Bush a moron!

Don't see what's wrong with it myself...the sky is blue, the grass is green, and Bush is certainly a moron. Kudos to Canada! Hurrah for the Commonwealth!

When Bush shuffles zombie -like into such meetings I suspect everyone lets out a despairing groan...

Anyway an article about it...

An offhand comment by a senior member of the Chrétien government may have a lasting effect on relations between Ottawa and Washington. A top aide to the prime minister has been quoted as referring to U.S. President George W. Bush as "a moron."

The disparaging comment from Chrétien's inner circle has shaken the Prime Minister's Office. Prime Minister Jean Chrétien was forced to say on Thursday that President Bush is "a friend of mine. He's not a moron at all."

That the prime minister of Canada would have to say the president of the United States is not a moron is remarkable enough. That he has to defend a comment made by one of his closest advisors has sent shockwaves from Prague, where NATO leaders are meeting, to Parliament Hill to the White House.

It began when President Bush made a speech in the Czech capital calling on NATO countries to spend more on defence.

Canadian officials saw that as a veiled criticism of Ottawa's military spending. The Prime Minister's director of communications, Francoise Ducros, said of Bush, "What a moron."

The comment apparently was made in the presence of at least two reporters.

In Ottawa, Canadian Alliance MP Jason Kenney wanted to know if the quote was accurate. And if it is, "does it reflect the views of the Liberal government?"

Conservative leader Joe Clark said if such a statement was made the offending party "should be on a plane home right now."

The PMO issued a brief statement: "The Prime Minister's Office never comments on newspaper reports attributed to unnamed sources."

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, who is accompanying Bush in Prague, dismissed the comment as coming from "somebody who obviously doesn't speak for the Canadian government."

The problem is Francoise Ducros does speak for the Canadian government, usually on background and off the record. The quote first attributed to a government official was soon linked to Ducros and widely reported.

Whether the comment was on the record or not, the opposition says the comment was inappropriate, coming from an official representing the government of Canada.

Others say the comment will only further chill the dialogue between Washington and Ottawa.

The prime minister is now under pressure to take action against one of his most loyal advisers.
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:27 PM   #2
country flag Poe
Webmaster

Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold
well this seems like a pretty flimsy story... it's not like the guy said it during a press conference or something for the whole world to hear.. so there was no question... instead this looks like speculation, that somebody overheard something and over dramatised it

without any proof or a recording of him saying it, it could be a flat out lie and the story doesn't hold any water

Quote:
The comment apparently was made in the presence of at least two reporters.
apparently? according to who? that's pretty weak

anyway if he did say it whether bush is a moron or not , it's unprofessional coming from a top official of our government and i wouldn't be proud of it
Poe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:00 PM   #3
country flag Josh
Team WTAworld
Administrator
aka Nibbler

Josh has disabled reputation
I think it's a she Poe, unless there are French-Canadian men called Françoise.
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:04 PM   #4
country flag Poe
Webmaster

Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold Poe is a splendid one to behold
whatever josh!
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:08 PM   #5
cyberix

cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all
The fact that she said it is not in question. But saying it in the presence of two reporters and being Director of Communications for the Canadian Government shows that the comment is applicable to herself.
cyberix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:09 PM   #6
country flag Poe
Webmaster

why is the fact she said it not in question?
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:12 PM   #7
country flag Bezz

Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future Bezz has a brilliant future
He is a moron!!! good on her.
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:13 PM   #8
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
In Ottawa, Canadian Alliance MP Jason Kenney wanted to know if the quote was accurate. And if it is, "does it reflect the views of the Liberal government?"

Yeah, the comments of one, mean that the entire platform of the Liberal Party is now that "Bush is a moron".

Her timing is unfortunate if she did say it - I mean really say it behind closed doors like everybody else.
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:21 PM   #9
country flag caramel

caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light caramel is a glorious beacon of light
Woohoo the Canadians are cool! Yes indeed , Bush is a moron!

Chanda Rubin Anastasia Myskina

Francesca Schiavone Paola Suarez

Barbara Schett Silvia Farina Elia

Klara Koukalova Iva Majoli

Marat Safin is all mine.

*caramelized.net*

caramel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:23 PM   #10
country flag roots

roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all
This story is really getting to me. Any of you catched CNN's Crossfire last night. Here's an exertp:

NOVAK: At the NATO summit in Prague, the Canadian delegation viciously attacked President Bush. During a Canadian briefing for reporters, an official said of the American president, "What a moron." The Canadian press is not disclosing this official's identified, but I will. It was Prime Minister Jean Chretien's spokeswoman and communications director, Francine Ducros. No apology yet.

The Canadians are in an uproar because the Americans are urging them to boost defense spending. Canada ranks third from the bottom among NATO countries in military spending. Ahead only of Luxembourg and of Iceland, which does not even have a military. Canada should be ashamed of itself.

CARVILLE: I think Canadians are pretty proud people. I actually like Canada, I like Canadians. Just like I like France and I like French people and everybody else. You right wingers, you all hate poor people, you hate children, you hate Canadians, you hate Frenchmen. You hate everything. What the hell do you like other than rich people?

NOVAK: I'll tell you what...

CARVILLE: Other than rich people, who do you like?

NOVAK: If you liked the weenie Canadians so much why don't you go there? Why don't you go there?

CARVILLE: I go there all the time. I love Canadians. I go to England. I like the British.

(CROSSTALK)

NOVAK: You'd probably like Iraq if you went there, too. CARVILLE: No, I wouldn't like Iraq. But I sure -- I got an office in Britain. I've got an office in Tel Aviv. I love the Israelis, too. You don't like the Israelis. I do.

What a fucking prick that Novak character! "Canadian delegation viciously attacked ". We're talking about one lady here. Talk about being narrow-minded, he goes on a rampage over what one person said (albeit thousands of people think it too) and calls us "weenie". That's too many insults from this shitty show. Earlier this month, the host with the bow tie called us (Canada) "wasteland".

I'm pretty damn proud my country spends more money in health and education and not national defence. We have different priorities and agendas.
roots is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:23 PM   #11
cyberix

cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all cyberix is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Poe
why is the fact she said it not in question?
because:
1) she did not deny saying it
2) The Prime Minister did not deny she said it but told the press Bush is our friend, not a moron
cyberix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:25 PM   #12
country flag roots

roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all roots is a name known to all
Forgot to add. The least that moron of Novak could have done is got her name right. It's Françoise, not Francine!
roots is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:29 PM   #13

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the bit roots.

Pretty sad they have nothing better to focus on then one parliment opening up her trap and saying something that rings true to many, but better left unsaid.

I agree 100% - why the hell should we spend more on our military? We don't tell the USA how much to spend on their military (do we?). I could care less what they spend on it.

All I know is that I'm happy to live in a country that isn't going to war every 5 secounds, that has a good social safety net, that has decent health care for all, etc etc. If this means we have less money to help the USA out on their latest cause too fucking bad.
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by roots
Forgot to add. The least that moron of Novak could have done is got her name right. It's Françoise, not Francine!
LOL what blatent ignorance on his part.

Though not even remotely surprising.
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:33 PM   #15

I meant, it's not surprising given the other crap he went on about.

So anyone reading this, please refrain from going on and on about something that I neither implied, nor wrote (it really gets tiresome).