Will Venus Williams ever win a singles title at a Major again? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Venus Win a title again before she retire in singles?

Yes she will, in fact, she will win a Major again. 65 27.08%
She will not win a major, maybe a tier 1 or lower 104 43.33%
She won't win another title, if she does, it will be a tier II or lower 71 29.58%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 25th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #46
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Venus Williams ever win a singles title again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
She is definitely going to win a singles title. You can see it in her groundstrokes that she is close to coming back.

Slam? Tough. Her best shot is probably this upcoming Wimbledon but Serena is on fire, hard to see Venus beating Serena (or Pironkova).
Serena is on fire but I think a slam match between Serena and Venus at Wimbledon would be a toss-up. Anywhere else but Wimbledon Serena would probably win handily.. but the surface really covers up Venus's flaws (stamina, consistency, second serve).

I'd say whoever has a better serving day wins that matchup.

As to the original question, Venus can definitely win another title. Can she win a big title? Not sure about that.. there are just too many questions with her health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #47
country flag mistymore

mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of

Serena had the edge over Venus on grass even when both were in their primes. She is 3-1 vs her in Wimbledon finals, 3-2 overall although it was a very emotionally immature Serena in that first loss. I honestly dont see how Venus would even be close to even odds if they played at Wimbledon right now. Serena is still just about as good as ever, while Venus is far from it.

I do think she still has enough game to win a singles title though. Either at some puny clay event, or even a decent sized tournament if she gets a good draw and hits a purple patch. A major would be a major upset at this point, but with a Williams you never know I guess, with the state the WTA still is in (not great) too.
mistymore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #48
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymore View Post
Serena had the edge over Venus on grass even when both were in their primes. She is 3-1 vs her in Wimbledon finals, 3-2 overall although it was a very emotionally immature Serena in that first loss. I honestly dont see how Venus would even be close to even odds if they played at Wimbledon right now. Serena is still just about as good as ever, while Venus is far from it.

I do think she still has enough game to win a singles title though. Either at some puny clay event, or even a decent sized tournament if she gets a good draw and hits a purple patch. A major would be a major upset at this point, but with a Williams you never know I guess, with the state the WTA still is in (not great) too.
That kind of invalidated anything you said. Serena is a lot less deadly at Wimbledon than she was in her prime.

I'm not sure if it was Mary Carillo who said this over and over again but athletes win Wimbledon.
Serena's athleticism has dropped considerably... the past few years she's struggled at times off the ground and has relied on her serve and potent return to get her through matches.

Venus's serve is better on grass than on other surfaces, her movement is a lot better, the points are shorter, her second serve while still a liability can become a weapon with the slice out wide and most of all, Venus is one of the top 5 female athletes of the Open Era and she's still the best female athlete to grace the lawns of Wimbledon out of all active players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #49
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Venus will win Roland Garros. She'll also win Wimbeldon! She hasnt played in a while..and she took an inform Shrapova whi is the #2 player in the world to 3 sets. Already beat Ana and Kvtiova. Its all about her health and I know she still has a slam left in her before she retires!! Ill even go so far as saying she'll win the Olympic Gold!!!!

GO VENUS WILLIAMS!
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #50
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie View Post
Venus will win Roland Garros. She'll also win Wimbeldon! She hasnt played in a while..and she took an inform Shrapova whi is the #2 player in the world to 3 sets. Already beat Ana and Kvtiova. Its all about her health and I know she still has a slam left in her before she retires!! Ill even go so far as saying she'll win the Olympic Gold!!!!

GO VENUS WILLIAMS!
She lost in straight sets.

At this point i'm not sure where her career is going, and I just hope it lasts as long as possible.

We'll know better after the Olympics, and hopefully she feels better and better and does consequently better.
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #51
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Serena is on fire but I think a slam match between Serena and Venus at Wimbledon would be a toss-up. Anywhere else but Wimbledon Serena would probably win handily.. but the surface really covers up Venus's flaws (stamina, consistency, second serve).

I'd say whoever has a better serving day wins that matchup.

As to the original question, Venus can definitely win another title. Can she win a big title? Not sure about that.. there are just too many questions with her health.
Serena has the edge. Especially at a slam. Especially in a Wimbledon final. It took some hot tennis from Venus to beat her sister in the 2008 final and if it comes down to which serve is more solid you know Serena is gonna win.

Hopefully we do see some encouraging form from Venus at Wimbledon though, and her trademark movement, I can't wait to see her play there.
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #52
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #53
country flag friendsita

friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future

Yes. Maybe Wimbledon this year.
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #54
country flag Kunal

Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute

the questions and the options are misleading. all three options result in venus winning a title.
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #55
country flag jrollaneres25

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vozas View Post
Maybe she could go out of her way and whore the Asian swing for a change. She'd definitely blow all those weak-ass pushers away. Vulturenus
So are you saying that Venus can't beat Sharapova again?
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
I am a pretty big Veeliver of Venus Williams, but I'm a FOLLOWER of

Jesus Christ!!
jrollaneres25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #56

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnyTheSaviOuR View Post
I don't know. I'm sure she is able to win singles titles again (slams too), but I don't know the future. She's Venus Williams and she will be able to win titles. She has game, brain, experience, power and motivation.
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”

Jesus Christ!!
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
I'm starting to think you really are a troll, OP, and not a fan.

Jesus Christ!!
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
This is something no one really knows. With her talent she is capable of winning anything but with her illness her body may not support her desire to play her best. If Venus and her team have successfully come up with a plan that sustains her energy and endurance anything is possible. It is still too premature to tell because she has only played a few tournaments and I don't think we have seen what she is fully capable of yet because it appears that she wants to ease into her grove and not over do it.

One thing for sure, I am just going to enjoy the ride win or lose. Because it is great to see a legend like Venus still playing and drawing interest for womens tennis.

Jesus Christ!!
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Homme. View Post
Stop living the Past.
We are now using
PM. P5. P. and MM.
No such thing as Tier Is, IIs, etc.
We stopped using it since 2009.

and havent you heard...
Venus Williams will win Roland Garros 2012.
What does that mean?

And why do you have to be mean? Just enlighten me and move on

Jesus Christ!!
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #60
country flag Lovesunair

Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold Lovesunair is a splendid one to behold
Re: Will Venus Williams ever win a singles title at a Major again?

Venus still definitely have some Acapulco titles in her
Lovesunair is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote