Will Venus Williams ever win a singles title at a Major again? - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Venus Win a title again before she retire in singles?

Yes she will, in fact, she will win a Major again. 65 27.08%
She will not win a major, maybe a tier 1 or lower 104 43.33%
She won't win another title, if she does, it will be a tier II or lower 71 29.58%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #151
country flag jrollaneres25

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Venus Williams ever win a singles title at a Major again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPlaya8 View Post
I don't know if people have forgotten or just choose to ignore the fact that every one of Venus' losses came to someone who ended up in the top 10 at the end of the year except 1 player. And thats the Wimbledon match where later she clearly stated From Rome to Wimbledon was not a good period for her health wise!

Venus lost to Radwanska in the QF in her first tournament back (And Radwanska went on to win the title)and at the french on her worst surface,

She lost to Sharapova with a competetive first set in Rome and maria went on to win the title.

She lost to Stosur in 3 sets in her 2nd tournament back a week after her first tournamnet ended and while playing 3 days in a row I think.

Venus lost to Kerber 3 times. Madrid Kerber just beat her. At the Olympics Vee actually should have won she had set points in both sets. In New York, even with a back injury and 60 unforced errors she still was 6 points away and should have won that match.

Venus lost to Li Na in 3 sets with a back injury. I don't think she had that bad of a year. Infact you saw in Cinicinatti had it not been for that back injury she was looking pretty darn good. Better than half the top 10.

She can still win a Slam

Just to add, she actually came within 2 points of winning that match

Here at 18:20

2013 she should work on closing out matches.
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
I am a pretty big Veeliver of Venus Williams, but I'm a FOLLOWER of

Jesus Christ!!
jrollaneres25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #152
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

I want very little out of Vee's singles career at this point, but winning one more slam would be so deserved for her....preferably in Melbourne.

Can she do it? Yes. Will she? Eh. If it were to happen, New York is her best shot IMO.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #153
country flag le bon vivant
maman.

le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute le bon vivant has a reputation beyond repute

She is from Compton. Never count her out.

█████████████████ʘ
le bon vivant is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #154
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

A girl can dream.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #155
country flag Upgraded

Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice Upgraded is just really nice

I'm sure of it, and sooner than you think .
Upgraded is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #156
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously not, but I think she'll have another big run or two in 2013.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #157
country flag .Andrew.

.Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so, but stranger things have happened.

She's had so many chances to win another Slam, particularly at the Open alone. In '07 had she beaten Justine, she would have to play Kuznetsova. Rewatched the '08 QF with Rena and still baffled at how she lost that match but she would've had to play Safina/Jankovic/Dementieva(?) for the title. In '10 had she beaten Kim, she would've had to play Zvonareva. I would add '05 to a lesser extent. She just beat Sharapova at Wimbledon and hadn't lost a Grand Slam match since that loss to Karatantcheva(?)

Not saying she would've won those matches definitely, but she certainly would've went in as the favorite. Over the years, she's crumbled mentally in big matches but really hoping she has a final Slam in her.
Stephens. Hampton. Robson. Voegele.
.Andrew. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #158
country flag ReboundAce

ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future ReboundAce has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andrew. View Post
I don't think so, but stranger things have happened.

She's had so many chances to win another Slam, particularly at the Open alone. In '07 had she beaten Justine, she would have to play Kuznetsova. Rewatched the '08 QF with Rena and still baffled at how she lost that match but she would've had to play Safina/Jankovic/Dementieva(?) for the title. In '10 had she beaten Kim, she would've had to play Zvonareva. I would add '05 to a lesser extent. She just beat Sharapova at Wimbledon and hadn't lost a Grand Slam match since that loss to Karatantcheva(?)

Not saying she would've won those matches definitely, but she certainly would've went in as the favorite. Over the years, she's crumbled mentally in big matches but really hoping she has a final Slam in her.
you mean Pironkova, right ? Anyway, you might include the finals in 2002 and 2003 when serena beat her in couple of slam finals in a row. It comes down to coulda woulda shoulda but that the way it is
ReboundAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #159
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrees View Post
No, Karatantcheva beat Venus at RG'05
Most hysterical result ever in tennis.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #160
country flag asdas

asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light

can't wait to see her on AO.
how does she fits
asdas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #161
country flag mikepails

mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
I want very little out of Vee's singles career at this point, but winning one more slam would be so deserved for her....preferably in Melbourne.

Can she do it? Yes. Will she? Eh. If it were to happen, New York is her best shot IMO.
I think another major or two would be huge for Venus. It would end any debate who is better between her and Henin, I think most people even have her behind Henin at this point, but if she wins even one more major, especialy with the longevity this would prove, it would be hard to deny Venus 2nd best player of her era. Also if she wins another couple majors she could enter debates vs people like Seles and King to who is better between them.
mikepails is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #162
country flag jrollaneres25

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute

I would go on a limb and say that Venus is the most talented player to ever play the sport of tennis.

With that being said, other players have capitalized more on their talents and other factors such as, mental strength, consistency, work ethic, etc. Early in Venus' career, she admittedly would say that she wouldn't put in the practice time and wasn't totally focused. I believe after 2004, and the tragedy of the murder of Yetunde, she became more focused and noticeably the tennis world had caught up to her standard. Serena on the other hand, kept raising the bar in Women's tennis.

2005 is where I believe Venus rededicated herself to the sport and started to gain momentum again, but that's when physically she began to decline. So it's such a shame to think that between the years of 2000-2005, she could have won 3 or 4 more slams if she would have dedicated herself more to the sport and work ethic instead of just relying on her pure talent and athleticism alone.
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
I am a pretty big Veeliver of Venus Williams, but I'm a FOLLOWER of

Jesus Christ!!
jrollaneres25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #163
country flag Inger67

Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute Inger67 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post
Just to add, she actually came within 2 points of winning that match

Here at 18:20

2013 she should work on closing out matches.
Watched that match live. Just gutted

The rally at *4-2 30-30 was a killer for me. If she would have won that rally and had points for 5-2. Ugh. If only.
TT Singles Current Ranking: #41 (CH Ranking: #11)
Titles: Quebec City 2012, Cincinnati 2011
TT Doubles Current Ranking: #10 (CH Ranking: #8)
Titles: Tokyo 2012 (w/New_balls_please), Stanford 2012, Carlsbad 2011, Osaka 2011 (w/rvugt)
French Open 2013 Finalist (w/New_balls_please)
Inger67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #164
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
Most hysterical result ever in tennis.
I think her Thunderous return in Montreal this year was even more hysterical
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #165
country flag asdas

asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light asdas is a glorious beacon of light

7matches in 2weeks is tough for venus now.
maybe some MM tournaments.
asdas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote