Ana's surface analysis thread - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:59 AM   #31
country flag The 2nd Law

The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ana's surface analysis thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
After RG 2008:

W/L

grass: 12 - 8 (60%)

hard indoor: 24 - 7 (77%)

hard outdoor: 69 - 46 (60%)

clay outdoor: 15 - 10 (60%)

clay indoor: 2 - 4 (33%)
So, knowing that she won 4 tournaments in this time, all on indoor hard, her wins per tournament played by surface must look like this:

Grass: 1.5 (12 wins from 8 tournaments)
Indoor hard: 2.18 (24 wins from 11 tournaments)
Outdoor hard: 1.5 (69 wins from 46 tournaments)
Indoor clay: 0.5 (2 wins from 4 tournaments )
Outdoor clay: 1.5 (15 wins from 10 tournaments)

I don't know how useful this stat really is, as I don't think that any of these w/l were skewed by random good runs, but it does clearly show that she gets the most wins per tournament played on indoor hard courts

EDIT: this says exactly the same thing, just in another way my bad
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM   #32
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not that she has less times, it bounces lower, but the grass is now much slower and there are elements. Indoor fast is faster than the grass now + no elements, equal time to prepare IMO.

There's no rocket science, she must serve good and go for that fh, which is more effective on hard, but it's still a good shot on all the surfaces. The bh IS extremely poor, but the bh is definitely not the reason why Fed is a grass king. It's his serve and forehand. The same was for Graf and Lindsay. It's not the bh that won Wimbledons for them. Graf was moving better, but not Lindsay.
Grass is slower than what it used to be, but not slower than most indoor hard. You mention Federer and Graf.. they don't have the best BH... but both have the best BH slice, extremely effective on grass. So when they get balls to the BH they have ways of turning the rally around and getting a FH to hit. They were also the smoothest movers on the surface, which also helps them in hitting more FHs. Davenport was a balanced hitter, she could hit as well from the BH side as the FH side. Flat and hard. With Ana.. if you rewatch most of her grass matches against decent oposition.. it's 1 single ball to the BH and point lost. Her slice is not good enough and all she can do otherwise is lift it, play it extremely loopy, which makes that shot very uneffective on the surface.

Besides all that.. Ana has a lot of trouble against opponents who are flat hitters, hitting hard. She has trouble neutralizing power as she tends to lose her own timing. Grass potentializes that as those shots skid through the surface, coming faster and lower. Add to all that the fact Ana moves worse on grass, her serve is not an ace machine (like Federer's can be) and her BH is a bigger issue, and you have a very challenging surface.

I agree the math with Ana is simple.. serve+FH. But all shots must be considered to see how effective her game can be. Surfaces that allow her to hide her BH better or to hit it better will also help her in getting more FHs to play. And serve isn't all.. look at Stosur.. she has a big serve, yet she can't play on grass if her life depended on it. It's just not an effective shot on the surface because its mostly a kicker, barely ever a flat shot. Isner has a huge serve, yet he has barely had any wins at Wimbledon. Balls bounce way lower and give him way less time to hit any other shot.

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:34 PM   #33
country flag Cp6uja

Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute

Clay is still best surface for Ana. It's still only surface where in-form Ana can beat anybody on tour.
Hers pathetic W/L record on clay after 2008 is product of fact that every single season (except this 2012) Ana coming to clay in deep slump (and stay there) and often with some injury also. Clay is actually only surface where she can achieve some good result despite obvious slump (RG/09 R16 or Rome/10 SF). Reason why hers 2012 record so far is not impressive despite solid shape is just matter of draw factor: in 3rd round of Madrid she face #1 and eventual finalist and in Rome she faced also already in 3rd round #2 and eventual champion

Grass is biggest mystery for Ana, because it seems (thanks to height and power) that it should be hers best surface - but results are worst. Maybe she is similar like Sam Stosur case for which so many experts in past predict career best results on grass (b/c great serve and volleys) but in reality that is hers by far worst surface. So its still big mistery, Ana never played seriously on MM-grass events and at Wimby she so often have wrong draw at hers best years (between 2006-2009 twice vs Venus, plus vs Mauresmo when Amelie won title). Actually, this season will be crucial for my perception of Ana future abilities on grass because she is in good shape, healthy, and there will be two Wimbledon tournaments back-to-back (GS+OG).

Talking about hardcourts I think Ana become equally good on fast harcourts like on slower (medium fast), but I dont agree that she become equally good or even better on HC than on clay. Ana real deep slump starts after IW/09 final, so she have some solid HC results during 2nd half of 2008 or 1st half of 2009, and with Heinz she have one good 2nd half of season and with Nigel good finish and good start of season, and all this periods are from HC surfaces. She is better on indoors than outdoors, but not that better how it seems from hers stats, its also more product of shape factor where she simple playing some better tennis at end of season than in rest of season (or start of next season).

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:49 PM   #34
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja View Post
Clay is still best surface for Ana. It's still only surface where in-form Ana can beat anybody on tour.
Hers pathetic W/L record on clay after 2008 is product of fact that every single season (except this 2012) Ana coming to clay in deep slump (and stay there) and often with some injury also. Clay is actually only surface where she can achieve some good result despite obvious slump (RG/09 R16 or Rome/10 SF). Reason why hers 2012 record so far is not impressive despite solid shape is just matter of draw factor: in 3rd round of Madrid she face #1 and eventual finalist and in Rome she faced also already in 3rd round #2 and eventual champion

Grass is biggest mystery for Ana, because it seems (thanks to height and power) that it should be hers best surface - but results are worst. Maybe she is similar like Sam Stosur case for which so many experts in past predict career best results on grass (b/c great serve and volleys) but in reality that is hers by far worst surface. So its still big mistery, Ana never played seriously on MM-grass events and at Wimby she so often have wrong draw at hers best years (between 2006-2009 twice vs Venus, plus vs Mauresmo when Amelie won title). Actually, this season will be crucial for my perception of Ana future abilities on grass because she is in good shape, healthy, and there will be two Wimbledon tournaments back-to-back (GS+OG).

Talking about hardcourts I think Ana become equally good on fast harcourts like on slower (medium fast), but I dont agree that she become equally good or even better on HC than on clay. Ana real deep slump starts after IW/09 final, so she have some solid HC results during 2nd half of 2008 or 1st half of 2009, and with Heinz she have one good 2nd half of season and with Nigel good finish and good start of season, and all this periods are from HC surfaces. She is better on indoors than outdoors, but not that better how it seems from hers stats, its also more product of shape factor where she simple playing some better tennis at end of season than in rest of season (or start of next season).
Ana is a very different player now than she was in 2008. She plays a whole different game Cp6uja. Even way she hits her FH is different, let alone the serve. She barely ever serves above 180 km/h nowadays and that was her average back in 2008 (2007 was even higher). Clay hasn't been a good surface, level of play wise, for a long time.

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #35
country flag Cp6uja

Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still with my statement that clay is still Ana's best surface, and for sure only surface where she can beat anyone. Whats happen on Rolland Garros 2012 is hers biggest career disaster since 2008 because for the first time she is "the contender", injury-free and have perfect draw. What is she thinking during that 2nd set against Errani I will never understand. Errani fastest serve is under 150km/h and 2nd is around 100km/h, so Ana literally killed it in 1st set (i think Errani have no single GAME POINT on own serve in whole first set!) and played enough brave and utter-aggressive on hers own serve to trash opponent. In third set Ana once again start to play very aggressive, exactly like she played 1st set and how she should to play in 2nd, but thanks to worst fitness out of all TOP50 players when match goes to be long, at her best in 3rd sets she is not anymore even close TOP10 level, but out of TOP30 for sure, so Errani which played whole match on similar level (there is nothing what she can do in that 1st set to prevent humiliation!) simple take gift in 2nd and clearly outplayed Ana in 3rd set.

Life goes on, week or two of in tears and slipless nights should be enough for Ana to forget about this wasted golden oportunity on clay, so no more times to be wasted after such big shock, because coming so big grass season (thanks to OG). Grass season of 2012 will be longest ever in tennis history since Australian Open switch from grass to hardcourts, and there will be actually 2 Wimbledons! With current fitness Ana chances should be much better on "real Wimbledon" because OG Wimbledon will be day-to-day tournament, so her best oportunity to eventually take medal should be mixed-doubles where fitness is non-factor and she have elite partner Zimonjic (don't forget: unlike at real slams, at Olympics no so big difference between titles in singles and doubles - because every OG medal is count like same OG medal for You and for your country!). Most intrigue part of Ana game on grass for me this season will be hers obvious improvement in return of serve with Sears.

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #36
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja View Post
I'm still with my statement that clay is still Ana's best surface, and for sure only surface where she can beat anyone. Whats happen on Rolland Garros 2012 is hers biggest career disaster since 2008 because for the first time she is "the contender", injury-free and have perfect draw. What is she thinking during that 2nd set against Errani I will never understand. Errani fastest serve is under 150km/h and 2nd is around 100km/h, so Ana literally killed it in 1st set (i think Errani have no single GAME POINT on own serve in whole first set!) and played enough brave and utter-aggressive on hers own serve to trash opponent. In third set Ana once again start to play very aggressive, exactly like she played 1st set and how she should to play in 2nd, but thanks to worst fitness out of all TOP50 players when match goes to be long, at her best in 3rd sets she is not anymore even close TOP10 level, but out of TOP30 for sure, so Errani which played whole match on similar level (there is nothing what she can do in that 1st set to prevent humiliation!) simple take gift in 2nd and clearly outplayed Ana in 3rd set.

Life goes on, week or two of in tears and slipless nights should be enough for Ana to forget about this wasted golden oportunity on clay, so no more times to be wasted after such big shock, because coming so big grass season (thanks to OG). Grass season of 2012 will be longest ever in tennis history since Australian Open switch from grass to hardcourts, and there will be actually 2 Wimbledons! With current fitness Ana chances should be much better on "real Wimbledon" because OG Wimbledon will be day-to-day tournament, so her best oportunity to eventually take medal should be mixed-doubles where fitness is non-factor and she have elite partner Zimonjic (don't forget: unlike at real slams, at Olympics no so big difference between titles in singles and doubles - because every OG medal is count like same OG medal for You and for your country!). Most intrigue part of Ana game on grass for me this season will be hers obvious improvement in return of serve with Sears.
I agree this is by far the biggest slam waste of Ana's career.. when I think about it I still can't believe she lost that match the way she did.. just ridiculous waste.. gifted wraped it to Errani in golden paper.

Errani, Cibulkova, Kanepi have made multiple slam QFs, while Ana hasn't made a single one in 4 years.

Anyway.. I wouldn't expect much of Ana-Ziki at OG. They are a bad match up. Both are power players who needed a crafty partner to complement game. They only ever played together once, and it was awful, believe me. And if Ana doesn't do something about her serve.. serve has been abysmal for a while now.. the worse I've ever seen it.

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #37
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Anyway.. I wouldn't expect much of Ana-Ziki at OG. They are a bad match up. Both are power players who needed a crafty partner to complement game. They only ever played together once, and it was awful, believe me. And if Ana doesn't do something about her serve.. serve has been abysmal for a while now.. the worse I've ever seen it.
Nenad said that they were a really good combination, but the thing was that Ana played the QF that year and blahblah. Why do you think that they were awful? Their biggest problem is that both are in bad form. When they are in good form, none of them needs to be too crafty.

Anyway, I think that she'll commit only if she loses early in singles. By the way, how is Ana's serve worse than it was in the first part of 2010 or in 2009? It was OK this season, but it sucked on clay. It must be better on grass. I mean, when you say that it's worst ever, I can't help but to ask if you think that it was better when she couldn't win 2 matches in 5 months?
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #38
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Nenad said that they were a really good combination, but the thing was that Ana played the QF that year and blahblah. Why do you think that they were awful? Their biggest problem is that both are in bad form. When they are in good form, none of them needs to be too crafty.
Played QF? Where? They only ever played a 1st round mixed doubles at the USO in 2010.. losing to a total random team who lost in the next round in straights.

Separately neither needs to be crafty, its not their game. That's exactly why they need a crafty partner for doubles, to complement their games. Put together, its power with no craftness, so there is no mix, no match up between them. Game gets one dimensional and easy to counter.

Quote:
Anyway, I think that she'll commit only if she loses early in singles. By the way, how is Ana's serve worse than it was in the first part of 2010 or in 2009? It was OK this season, but it sucked on clay. It must be better on grass. I mean, when you say that it's worst ever, I can't help but to ask if you think that it was better when she couldn't win 2 matches in 5 months?
Oh.. serve back then was about 100 times better.. Ana's ground game was 100 times worse though. 2009+2010 Ana was still serving at 180 mph consistently.. and placing it ok, even at high of toss issues. The issue was that once returned, she just had no ground game to win the point. Serve this year has been at an all time low of % and average speed. Ana's groudgame is a lot better than back then, even if less powerful its more consistent, so it somehow compensates the serve. But if you take serve alone, I do think its worse ever. It's actually the one shot that I thought Nigel made worse. Ana's serve was relatively good last year.. she was living off her serve. Since she teamed up with Nigel I've seen her serve going comprehensively down to its current all time low. Thank God her ground game made so much progress.

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #39
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Played QF? Where? They only ever played a 1st round mixed doubles at the USO in 2010.. losing to a total random team who lost in the next round in straights.
No, I thought they played RG in 2005, I'm sure I heard him talking about two matches there. That's when Ana reached the QF. i can't remember USO 2010 at all.

Quote:
Separately neither needs to be crafty, its not their game. That's exactly why they need a crafty partner for doubles, to complement their games. Put together, its power with no craftness, so there is no mix, no match up between them. Game gets one dimensional and easy to counter.
If both serve fine on grass, it could be good enough for a decent result. It's a doubles team for Olympics, there are no perfect teams. I mean, who's crafty? Serena or Roddick? Noone, they can both serve and I can see them winning it if they care. Zimonjić won 2 slams on grass, I'm sure he has ways to complement Ana's game, the problem is that he's in bad form. And Ana has nice volleys, it's not so bad.

Quote:
Oh.. serve back then was about 100 times better.. Ana's ground game was 100 times worse though. 2009+2010 Ana was still serving at 180 mph consistently.. and placing it ok, even at high of toss issues. The issue was that once returned, she just had no ground game to win the point. Serve this year has been at an all time low of % and average speed. Ana's groudgame is a lot better than back then, even if less powerful its more consistent, so it somehow compensates the serve. But if you take serve alone, I do think its worse ever. It's actually the one shot that I thought Nigel made worse. Ana's serve was relatively good last year.. she was living off her serve. Since she teamed up with Nigel I've seen her serve going comprehensively down to its current all time low. Thank God her ground game made so much progress.
RG 2010 R1 - fastest serve 190 km/h, average first serve speed 161 km/h, average second serve speed 151km/h, points won on first serve 68%, points won on 2nd serve 45%, 1 ace 12 double faults.

RG 2010 R2 - fastest serve 186 km/h, average first serve speed 164km/h, average second serve 143 km/h, points won on first serve 47%, points won on second serve 38%, 1 ace and 7 double faults.

Is that better? Faster? Not in average, really. She doesn't hit 190 kmh serves anymore, but the average speed is the same. The placement... Well she was placing 30% of her second serves outside the service box. It was probably hard for opponents to read if it was gonna land in the bottom of nets or somewhere in the stands.

Does anyone remember this?

ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!

Last edited by Cajka : Jun 4th, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #40
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
No, I thought they played RG in 2005, I'm sure I heard him talking about two matches there. That's when Ana reached the QF. i can't remember USO 2010 at all.
Ok.. went to check.. They played two matches together. One at RG 2005, which they won 10-8 in the match tie break to Sugiyama/Mirnyi. They gave a walkover in the next match (probably because Ana was in QFs). And one at USO 2011, in which they lost 6-3 6-4 to Chan/Fyrstenberg.

Quote:
If both serve fine on grass, it could be good enough for a decent result. It's a doubles team for Olympics, there are no perfect teams. I mean, who's crafty? Serena or Roddick? Noone, they can both serve and I can see them winning it if they care. Zimonjić won 2 slams on grass, I'm sure he has ways to complement Ana's game, the problem is that he's in bad form. And Ana has nice volleys, it's not so bad.
I don't think Serena will be playing with Roddick.. and Serena is a very good doubles player actually.

There is a reason Ziki's partners are the likes of Llodrá or Daniel Nestor. Both crafty players who complement his game.

I'm not saying Ana/Ziki can't win a match.. I'm just saying I wouldn't expect much of them.. they are just a bad match up who has barely ever played together. There was talk of best hope for a medal.. sorry, that's just expecting WAY too much.

I'll still be rooting for them.

Quote:
RG 2010 R1 - fastest serve 190 km/h, average first serve speed 161 km/h, average second serve speed 151km/h, points won on first serve 68%, points won on 2nd serve 45%, 1 ace 12 double faults.

RG 2010 R2 - fastest serve 186 km/h, average first serve speed 164km/h, average second serve 143 km/h, points won on first serve 47%, points won on second serve 38%, 1 ace and 7 double faults.

Is that better? Faster? Not in average, really. She doesn't hit 190 kmh serves anymore, but the average speed is the same. The placement... Well she was placing 30% of her second serves outside of serve box.

Does anyone remember this?

Love that vídeo.. NOT.

Well.. average is about same, but placement way better in the ones that land in, fast ones are faster and 2nd serves are faster. There was an issue with the DFs.. but Ana's current 130mph second serves are almost like gifting the point away anyway. Her points won on 2nd serve against decent oposition is usually around 35% at best.. just shows how that serve was really better.. with all those horrible tosses and doubles faults she still had about same winning percentage on second serves as she does now without tons of DFs and with a much improved groundgame. And you took info from arguably one of her worst tournaments of that year.

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #41
country flag Cajka

Quote:

There is a reason Ziki's partners are the likes of Llodrá or Daniel Nestor. Both crafty players who complement his game.
But he called Ana. Of course, he had crafty partners, Srebotnik and those Chinese girls, but he also said that they were good and that it was a pity that they couldn't continue playing on RG.

Quote:
I'm not saying Ana/Ziki can't win a match.. I'm just saying I wouldn't expect much of them.. they are just a bad match up who has barely ever played together. There was talk of best hope for a medal.. sorry, that's just expecting WAY too much.

I'll still be rooting for them.
After the story about tanking, I'm sure that they stand no chance to win more than 1 match (if they play). It sucks for Nenad, but he could've called JJ. She has a W mixed doubles title after all.

Quote:
Love that vídeo.. NOT.

Well.. average is about same, but placement way better in the ones that land in, fast ones are faster and 2nd serves are faster. There was an issue with the DFs.. but Ana's current 130mph second serves are almost like gifting the point away anyway. Her points won on 2nd serve against decent oposition is usually around 35% at best.. just shows how that serve was really better.. with all those horrible tosses and doubles faults she still had about same winning percentage on second serves as she does now without tons of DFs and with a much improved groundgame. And you took info from arguably one of her worst tournaments of that year.
But these stats were much worse. You can check the stats from all the slams in 2010, the only decent stats are from USO. Against Dulko her first serves were usually around 150 kmh, I'm not kidding at all. I remember it clearly. It was similar against Kleybanova in AO 2009. Maybe you forgot how awful it was. Her serve now is far from 2008 or 2007 level, but it's much better than it was during the slump.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #42
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
But he called Ana. Of course, he had crafty partners, Srebotnik and those Chinese girls, but he also said that they were good and that it was a pity that they couldn't continue playing on RG.
After the story about tanking, I'm sure that they stand no chance to win more than 1 match (if they play). It sucks for Nenad, but he could've called JJ. She has a W mixed doubles title after all.
He said they were good because they won a 1st round match 10-8 in the match tie break in RG 2005 when Ana was 17? Ok then.. 2011 USO proved that..

I don't think Ana will tank TBH... what are the odds she goes far in singles? Even lower..

Quote:
But these stats were much worse. You can check the stats from all the slams in 2010, the only decent stats are from USO. Against Dulko her first serves were usually around 150 kmh, I'm not kidding at all. I remember it clearly. It was similar against Kleybanova in AO 2009. Maybe you forgot how awful it was. Her serve now is far from 2008 or 2007 level, but it's much better than it was during the slump.
It's really unhealthy but I could tell you every single point of every slam match Ana had.. I remember very well. Serve was better than now, but if returned, she didn't have a groundgame to win a point. I'm not saying it was good, but I do definitely think it was better. Now Ana has a groundgame, so she can still win a point without living off solely on the serve. Serve is at an all time low though.. if she tries to slightly place the 1st serve to a corner she can't hit it in... its much slower.. just not helping.

End of 2010 was the best Ana served since 2008 though, that's for sure. She was actually serving really well in Beijing and Linz.

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #43
country flag Cajka

I still don't understand what was better. You say that it was faster and I tell you to check it, it wasn't much faster at all, it was even unusually slow in some matches. The placement...? I say that she was making tons of dfs because of that toss. She would chase half of these serves, you can't control the placement with that toss. Did she have too many aces? Not that I remember. I remember that she had many aces in few matches. Once against Kleybanova she had more than 10 aces (it was Dubai, I think). She had more than 10 aces against Sofia and Petko in one of those grass MMs, but she also ha 10 double faults... Anything else?

The highest number of aces was against Dani last year.

So, what was better about that serve? I'm sorry, but had that serve stayed the way it was back then, she would be #150 right now. It was a joke, the crowd was laughing at her.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #44
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
I still don't understand what was better. You say that it was faster and I tell you to check it, it wasn't much faster at all, it was even unusually slow in some matches. The placement...? I say that she was making tons of dfs because of that toss. She would chase half of these serves, you can't control the placement with that toss. Did she have too many aces? Not that I remember. I remember that she had many aces in few matches. Once against Kleybanova she had more than 10 aces (it was Dubai, I think). She had more than 10 aces against Sofia and Petko in one of those grass MMs, but she also ha 10 double faults... Anything else?

The highest number of aces was against Dani last year.

So, what was better about that serve? I'm sorry, but had that serve stayed the way it was back then, she would be #150 right now. It was a joke, the crowd was laughing at her.
We can agree to disagree..

I did check.. fastest serves were faster than they are now.. from 190 kmh to 175kmh.. average was about the same at 160kmh. 2nd serves average was way higher from 150kmh to 135 kmh now. Placement was way better in serves that went IN! I'm not talking about double faults here.. I'm talking about serves that go in.. Ana is serving now mostly in the middle of the box.. if she tries to place it to a corner she gets stuck with 2nd serves.. and her current 2nd serve is way slower, almost like gifting point anyway. Ana's winning percentage with 1st serves and 2nd serves were about the same as they are now, except she has a better ground game and less double faults. What does that say about the serve itself? She has a better ground game now, less issues with toss and double faults, yet her winning percentage is about the same. Serve itself, the ones that go in, was better then, even with that ridiculous toss.. but the groundgame wouldnt help her. Now she has a better, less powerful, but more consistent groundgame, yet she is not winning more points because serve hampers her, makes it too easy for opponents to start point already attacking her, or at least redirect the return to her BH, like Errani did all match long. If Ana was serving like that, but with her current groundgame, she would win the match against Errani as she would've been able to have held at least once more in that 2nd set (Ana had GPs in 2 service games that she ended up broken).

I was trying to find the aces stats to put it exactly, but I'm pretty sure she had more aces per match in 2009/10/11 than she has had this year. I don't even think that is the most relevant stat though.

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #45
country flag Cajka

If I counted it correctly, so far this season she had 110 aces in 32 matches.

In 2010 it was similar, it was 108 aces in 32 matches (that includes USO ).

I probably made some mistake while counting, but it was obviously really close. Honestly, you can check all the stats, there's no one single stat that would prove that her serve was better in 2009 or 2010. Maybe you liked her serve then more than you this serve, but it wasn't more effective. I can say that the match against Sara was Ana's worst serving performance this season, but that's it. I won't say that her serve is bad now, it just isn't. There's a room for improvement, but her serve is still top 5. There are maybe 3 or 4 women who have a better serve.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!