WW II thread - Page 17 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 21st, 2012, 02:37 AM   #241
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WW II thread

^ Holden is one of my favorite actors. Any interesting episodes?

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 21st, 2012, 06:43 AM   #242
country flag Remix13

Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
William Holden was a drill sergeant where my dad went through boot camp.
Drill sergeant is like the guy in Full Metal Jacket ?

Old Dec 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM   #243
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Bill Holden was a marine drill sergeant.

No, he was at the same camp as my dad, but he doesn't have any stories about him. There were thousands of marines going through there, and my old man was in a different platoon. He always admired the guys who did their stints, and never had a nice thing to say about guys like John Wayne, who didn't. (Although some of his hatred for John Wayne comes from the fact that he was on a troop ship where the only movie they had was "Flying Leathernecks.")
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 05:13 PM   #244
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't going to mention Wayne but it's true

Same conservative James Stewart might be a better role model Didn't he fly as a bomber crew in Europe, now THAT was taking some serious risk.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Dec 21st, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 05:27 PM   #245
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

When former fighter pilot and astronaut John Glenn was was seeking the Democratic Presidential nomination in 1984, he said about then Prez Ronald Reagan:

"I was flying Hellcats of the Navy while he was filming Hellcats of the Navy".

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM   #246
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Stewart flew B-17s as I recall.

My dad's unit included an All-American football player, an assistant professor from Boston U., and a former bodyguard of Al Capone.

It was a very interesting group.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Old Dec 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM   #247
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute

James Stewart was a great American, misguided from my point of view politically. but a good man, and for my money just about the greatest movie star there has ever been. So many films that will live forever. It's a wonderful life was on here in Japan the other day...still cried at the end, wonderful, yet actually dark tale.

Sorry off topic!
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #248
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Yes, Stewart flew B-17s as I recall.

My dad's unit included an All-American football player, an assistant professor from Boston U., and a former bodyguard of Al Capone.

It was a very interesting group.
any stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halardfan View Post
James Stewart was a great American, misguided from my point of view politically. but a good man, and for my money just about the greatest movie star there has ever been. So many films that will live forever. It's a wonderful life was on here in Japan the other day...still cried at the end, wonderful, yet actually dark tale.

Sorry off topic!
English Cary Grant was no less great And of course, Chaplin

By the way, did Ike and Kay really sleep together?

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Dec 22nd, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM   #249
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

The Allies' (probably unplanned) "secret weapon" may have been American Wallis Simpson, who (Hitler pal) King Edward VIII abdicated to marry in 1936. Even had he appointed a PM who went to war after the Germans invaded Poland, such a head of government might well have basically accepted the peace offer Rudolf Hess was probably sent to deliver when he parachuted into Scotland in 1941.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 06:05 PM   #250
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

that scandal seriously wrecked Churchill(he supported Edward) and his effort to contain Hitler.

And his brother who succeeded didn't really like Churchill either, he actually preferred Halifax, as did many, who was an arch appeaser.

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Dec 22nd, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #251
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

storming juno beach 69 years ago

never forget
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #252
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

My dad was in the Pacific, but my mom's family had lots of cousins who served in the Canadian military during WWI and II.

Nobody was further inland by the end of "The Longest Day" than the Canadians.

Old Jun 6th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #253
country flag SloKid
The long and winding road.

SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute

This photo was posted on Guardian's website yesterday:

Quote:
Normandy veterans Victor Urch, 88, Frank Baugh, 89 (who were in the Royal Navy dropping troops and supplies onto Sword Beach) and Derek Whitehead, 88 (who was in the Durham Light Infantry and was on Gold Beach on D-Day) share a joke as they walk along what was the British Sword beach at Colleville Montgomery near Caen, France. Across Normandy several hundred of the surviving veterans of the Normandy campaign are gathering to commemorate the 69th anniversary of the D-Day landings which eventually led to the Allied liberation of France in 1944. Next year, which will mark the 70th anniversary of the landings, is widely expected to be the last time that the veterans will gather in any great number.
The part in bold is a bit sad to read.

Camerin-Hlavačkova-Görges-Hradecka-Voracova
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #254
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

^ the day the last WWII vet on earth dies will be a strange day
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #255
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

Well, I'm happy to say my dad is coming up on 88 this month.