WW II thread - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #136
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WW II thread

"chauvinist" epoque?
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #137
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's another topic for endless armchair general debate. Would the much weaker British have been better off fighting the slightly weaker Germans with Czechoslavakian support then, or were they better off waiting until Sept. of '39? The RAF in particular benefited from the extra time, but the Czech Army had excellent equipment, fortifications and training.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #138
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
"chauvinist" epoque?
yes, the book says 'Epoque' was chauvinist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Well, that's another topic for endless armchair general debate. Would the much weaker British have been better off fighting the slightly weaker Germans with Czechoslavakian support then, or were they better off waiting until Sept. of '39? The RAF in particular benefited from the extra time, but the Czech Army had excellent equipment, fortifications and training.
You're right, and the German generals themselves said that they were not that ready at that time, 1938.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #139
country flag Remix13

Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Indeed they had some good equipment, for example Skoda tanks LT vz. 35 and LT vz. 38 which could match german early tanks of the war like Panzer II.

Here is a LT vz. 38 used by german army:

There were also quite a lot of fortification in Czechoslovakia at this time:

Red and green lines are fortifications (red are heavy ones and green light ones). Notice that Pilsen holly breweries were only protected by light ones
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #140
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but they had Grandfather Hlavackova to defend them!
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #141
country flag Remix13

Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Indeed !
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #142
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Also the parents, etc. of 4M (Marti's Mother Melanie Molitor).

And you know why the Suissies never get invaded in European wars?

Because nobody drops a bomb on his own money.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #143
country flag Remix13

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
Also the parents, etc. of 4M (Marti's Mother Melanie Molitor).

And you know why the Suissies never get invaded in European wars?

Because nobody drops a bomb on his own money.
After the invasion of France, Germany had a plan to invade Switzerland (they had plans to invade everybody...), it was called Operation Tannenbaum.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #144
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

BBC and The Times suppressed anti Nazi views and reports for fear of 'offending' Germany.

The Time's editor Dawson and Chamberlain were very close.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #145
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix13 View Post
After the invasion of France, Germany had a plan to invade Switzerland (they had plans to invade everybody...), it was called Operation Tannenbaum.
from operation tannenbaum's wikipedia page:

Hitler despised the democratically-minded German Swiss as the "wayward branch of the German people"
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #146
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Samuel Hoare, then Home Secretary(yes, THAT Hoare whose plan with Laval regarding Ethiopia was exposed when he was Sec. of Foregin Affairs; he was REINSTATED ),
after Munich predicted at the House of Commons

'that if Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Chamberlain, and Daladier were to work in tandem they could banish nightmares of war and burdens of armament and thus in an incredibly short space of time transform the whole history of the world'

thus he envisioned 'a new Golden Age'

from Manchester, p. 391

'

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Nov 20th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #147
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

"No more coals to Newcastle, no more Hoares to Paris."
--Winston Churchill

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #148
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Manchester, p. 395

After Germany's annexation of CZE and Memel in Mar. 1939.

'Later in the year a scrap-iron drive was launched, but an exception had to be made for Lord Baldwin; the wrought-iron gates leading to his estates were needed to control angry men who, only two years before, had cheered his every appearance'

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #149
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Manchester p. 396

'at the meeting in Dusseldorf between British and German industrialists, they signed a preliminary agreement, one clause of which permitted GER to spend the foreign exchange resources of the country it had just seized(CZE)-6 mil. pounds, which was held by the Bank of England'

there was of course a hot debate about it at the Parliament, and Chamberlain was evasive; he just thought it as a legitimate biz transaction.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #150
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

according to Liddell Hart, military historian and at that time military correspondent of The Times(he resigned after GBR's Polish guarantee),

Halifax believed that Poland was of more military value than Russia.

- Woodrow Wilson