La Terre Battue: Queen Revisiting The Land of Feelgood (RG - Olympic Year Edition) - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 19th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #31
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: La Terre Battue: Queen Revisiting The Land of Feelgood (RG - Olympic Year Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
Yes, closing the big matches was one of Ana's biggest qualities. RG 2007 semifinal - she finished the match with ace. RG 2008 - she used the first match point she had (it was a break point at the same time). I think that she didn't waste any match points in final neither. Now she struggles to convert break points, close the sets and matches. Last year it was much worse, a nightmare, but those problems are not completely solved. Maria saved 6 set points yesterday and when she got set point in both sets, she immediately won it. I remember the matches against Kvitova and Sam few weeks ago. It was amazing how she played every time she faced break points. That's the biggest difference between Sharapova and Ana.
I actually think that's the biggest difference between top players and those who are not.

I was reading some stats.. Ana has the worst percentage of BPs taken in the top 20, worst percentage of matches won after losing first set, and worst percentage of winning 3 setters. All less than 20%. It says a lot..

Ana used to be a great closer. Up until late 2008 she had not lost a single match after having MPs. She also used to have a great W-L record in tie breaks, and sets that got to 4-4 or 5-5. Now she needs to do something to recover that.

Look at Kerber for an example.. she is the newest member of the top 10 and top 5 in the race. The big difference is how she is 13-0 in 3 setters this year, winning multiple matches after saving MPs in at least 3 tournaments. Tennis is a game of chances and taking them depend as much of a great FH as it does of strength of mind. If Kerber had not grown SO much mentally she could've lost in the 1st round of Paris, a tournament she won. She also could've lost in the QFs of Compenhagen, another tournament she won. She could've lost in the 1st round of IW, tournament she reached the SF. All matches where she saved MP to win. What a difference that is making to her year. She is also 10-6 against top 10 players.

Beating top players is the only way to move up the rankings these days.. top 8 is mostly playing well and consistently. And for that to happen you have to be up for it and take your chances. At the end of the day, its all up to Ana and what she really wants.

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #32
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: La Terre Battue: Queen Revisiting The Land of Feelgood (RG - Olympic Year Edition

The moment when Kerber's mental strength started growing was probably the match against Aga in USO. She also managed to beat Flavia although Flavia was leading in 3rd set.

Ana used to be such a player. She saved the match points and won the match so many times. Against Vaidisova in QF of W, against JJ in SF of LA, against Dechy i R2 of W 2008, against Vinci in R2 of Brisbane 2009, against Hradecka in R1 of W. Of course, she was already in slump when she played some of those matches, but she was still top 15 player and she had that confidence that was killed in USO 2009 R1. That was the first time that she lost after having a match point and also the first R1 loss on a slam.

Now that I think, maybe that R1 at AO last year screwed her completely. She saved so many match points, but she wasn't able to take an advantage of that. Maybe it wasn't the loss to Kim what made her unable to close the matches. When she played against Patty in Dubai, she also couldn't close the match.
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #33
country flag fANAtic

fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold

Kerber is fit as a race horse though...
fANAtic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #34
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The moment when Kerber's mental strength started growing was probably the match against Aga in USO. She also managed to beat Flavia although Flavia was leading in 3rd set.

Ana used to be such a player. She saved the match points and won the match so many times. Against Vaidisova in QF of W, against JJ in SF of LA, against Dechy i R2 of W 2008, against Vinci in R2 of Brisbane 2009, against Hradecka in R1 of W. Of course, she was already in slump when she played some of those matches, but she was still top 15 player and she had that confidence that was killed in USO 2009 R1. That was the first time that she lost after having a match point and also the first R1 loss on a slam.

Now that I think, maybe that R1 at AO last year screwed her completely. She saved so many match points, but she wasn't able to take an advantage of that. Maybe it wasn't the loss to Kim what made her unable to close the matches. When she played against Patty in Dubai, she also couldn't close the match.
Your post got me thinking.. when was the last time Ana won a match after saving MPs? I honestly can't remember.

Ana once had that confidence, that mentality.. and it got killed at some point. She needs to make it appear again.. a rebirth. As someone once said.. the first game doesn't matter, what matters is the last game.

Old May 19th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #35
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, that's what we've been talking about also. Ana isn't fit, but it's not the only reason why she loses the long matches. Kim and Venus are not fit neither, but Ana looked mentally exhausted in long matches. Her body language screams: I can't fight. I can't find the inner energy to win this.

Last edited by Cajka : May 19th, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #36
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fANAtic View Post
Kerber is fit as a race horse though...
True.. I remember last year after Wimbledon Petkovic said that she knew Kerber would soon be top30 because she had worked more than anyone and was as fit as anyone on tour. It pays off.

This is something that worries me regarding Ana. She called Nigel on court in the beginning of the 2nd set against Sharapova to tell him she was feeling tired. I mean... it had only been 1 hour.. an intense 1 hour.. but still only 1 hour. And she was feeling tired.. Nigel told her something along the lines: "Ana, you can still do this, but it might be a long way. Come on, put some energy into the legs, get some energy." I guess that is a factor in those awful 3 set stats.. and also in matches against top players. They are always more intense and demanding than matches against scrubs.

Old May 19th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #37
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Of course, that's what we've been talking about also. Ana isn't fit, but it's not the only reason why she loses the long matches. Kim and Venus are not fit neither, but Ana looked mentally exhausted in long matches. Her body language screams: I can't fight. I can't fight the inner energy to win this.
Agreed.. the emotional stress of these big matches can also be draining if mismanaged. You need to have mental energy to even be able to dispose of your physical energy.

Old May 19th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #38
country flag Cajka

She felt so tired mostly because she wasted her chances. Almost every player would lose after that set. I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think that she started crying during the tb, when she missed that volley. That's also important for her, to stop crying.
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #39
country flag Cp6uja

Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Ana is 5-4 on clay this year coming into RG.

2011: 2-3. (1st round at RG) - 2-4 on clay.
2010: 4-3. (2nd round at RG) - 5-4 on clay.
2009: 2-1. (4th round at RG) - 5-2 on clay.
2008: 4-2. (Title at RG) - 11-2 on clay.
2007: 10-2. (Final at RG) - 16-3 on clay.
2006: 2-2. (3rd round at RG) - 4-3 on clay.
2005: 5-3. (QF at RG) - 9-4 on clay.
I still staying with my statement that this is one of best Ana's French Open warm-up seasons in terms of hers preparation quality (not results) and add to that fact that she stay injury free. This 5-4 record is not that mediocre if we take look deeply. Hers first match on clay was vs former RG champion and she lose, but month later Ana beat easy that same opponent. Hers next lose is vs WTA newcomer of the 2012 year Barthel on tournament right after FED CUP weekend where I'm sure that Ana not arrive to try too much. Last two loses is against WTA #1 and #2 ranked players and I think she will beat at least one of them just if she draws Vika in Rome and Maria in Madrid - not opposite! Vika career non-MM achievements on clay is almost pathetic - biggest exception is fast-clay indoors tournament in Madrid where she now twice in the row reach final. On other hand Rome become somehow Maria's favorite tournament where she is now still unbeaten three events in the row (since 2008)! And against such opponents Ana leaded in opening sets 4-1 vs Azarenka and 5-3 vs Sharapova (wasted 6 SPs). Number of points which Ana reach on clay before RG is disappointed, but at least she reach FED CUP final and played several competitive matches vs quality players, so preparation for Roland Garros this season is very good for Ana.

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #40
country flag fANAtic

fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold

Say what you want, but I'm sure Ana would be AT LEAST top 5 if she was close to Kerber or Petkovic level of fitness.
fANAtic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #41
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja View Post
I still staying with my statement that this is one of best Ana's French Open warm-up seasons in terms of hers preparation quality (not results) and add to that fact that she stay injury free. This 5-4 record is not that mediocre if we take look deeply. Hers first match on clay was vs former RG champion and she lose, but month later Ana beat easy that same opponent. Hers next lose is vs WTA newcomer of the 2012 year Barthel on tournament right after FED CUP weekend where I'm sure that Ana not arrive to try too much. Last two loses is against WTA #1 and #2 ranked players and I think she will beat at least one of them just if she draws Vika in Rome and Maria in Madrid - not opposite! Vika career non-MM achievements on clay is almost pathetic - biggest exception is fast-clay indoors tournament in Madrid where she now twice in the row reach final. On other hand Rome become somehow Maria's favorite tournament where she is now still unbeaten three events in the row (since 2008)! And against such opponents Ana leaded in opening sets 4-1 vs Azarenka and 5-3 vs Sharapova (wasted 6 SPs). Number of points which Ana reach on clay before RG is disappointed, but at least she reach FED CUP final and played several competitive matches vs quality players, so preparation for Roland Garros this season is very good for Ana.
I only have a problem with the bold part. It was not about losing to these opponents but how Ana lost.. wasting leads.. even wasting multiple SPs on her own serve. That has nothing to do with this or that opponent on this or that tournament. That's a block Ana built herself for herself that prevented her from doing better in those matches.. so there is no reason to think if she could swap opponents and tournaments she would do any better. It's a problem of closing..

Old May 19th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #42
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
She felt so tired mostly because she wasted her chances. Almost every player would lose after that set. I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think that she started crying during the tb, when she missed that volley. That's also important for her, to stop crying.
Yes.. after the first set the result was NID unfortunately. One needs a lot of mental strength and resilience to recover from that.. and if one had that most probably wouldn't get to that situation anyway. I also thought she had tears after 1st set.. I think she focuses on too many things instead of simply focusing on winning.

Emotional discontrol is indeed very draining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fANAtic View Post
Say what you want, but I'm sure Ana would be AT LEAST top 5 if she was close to Kerber or Petkovic level of fitness.
I'm not sure.. but fitness is definitely an issue. Ana said this week in Rome that she was taking fitness very carefully.. I think she scared to death of injuries and doesn't want to do much fitness at all. Not having a fitness coach just makes it easier to have that approach I guess.

Old May 19th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #43
country flag Cajka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
I'm not sure.. but fitness is definitely an issue. Ana said this week in Rome that she was taking fitness very carefully.. I think she scared to death of injuries and doesn't want to do much fitness at all. Not having a fitness coach just makes it easier to have that approach I guess.
But isn't fitness exactly what she needs to stay injury-free. Maybe she's scared because some players who were working very hard on their fitness (Safina, Petko etc.) faced some career threatening injuries?! It seems to be illogical, but if you take a closer look at Petko's or Dinara's technique, it's obvious that it wasn't overtraining what caused the injuries. She doesn't have to worry about that, she's naturally talented, her technique is still fine although people from Adidas screwed her toss. It still can't be compared to Maria's, Dinara's or Petko's serve motion.
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #44
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
But isn't fitness exactly what she needs to stay injury-free. Maybe she's scared because some players who were working very hard on their fitness (Safina, Petko etc.) faced some career threatening injuries?! It seems to be illogical, but if you take a closer look at Petko's or Dinara's technique, it's obvious that it wasn't overtraining what caused the injuries. She doesn't have to worry about that, she's naturally talented, her technique is still fine although people from Adidas screwed her toss. It still can't be compared to Maria's, Dinara's or Petko's serve motion.
I've long given up on trying to understand Ana's logic, so I don't know.. Obviously working hard on fitness is a must to take the game to another level. Players who can't withstand battles aren't going to go up. Ana has mentioned she overtrained back in 2008/2009.. I don't think she overtrained.. but I do think she blames the little niggles here and there that she had on her fitness regime.

I don't think we should expect any improvement on that as long as she keeps on having no fitness trainer.

Old May 21st, 2012, 10:40 PM   #45
country flag Cajka

The title of this thread sounds kinda snobbish. I totally love it.