The Live Scoring Thread vol. 6 - Page 175 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2611
country flag damalulani

damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all damalulani is a name known to all
Re: The Live Scoring Thread vol. 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguae^ View Post
I'm afraid Flipkens decided to play her best career tennis in this match.
Are you serious?

The name "Flipkens" had nothing to do with this match.
damalulani is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #2612
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm afraid Flipkens decided to play her best career tennis in this match.

No.. Flipkens was all right.. but Ana was the one doing all the work.

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #2613
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

I think the reason that you recognised that phrase from me Isa is that it probably is something I say when I'm afraid she's going to lose but I don't want to admit it...

Ana didn't serve big enough to Flipkens' bh, didn't hit big enough shots to Flipkens' bh. If you hit slowly to her bh of course she can slice well but if you smack it hard and deep she won't pull off a very good slice, actually she'll probably lose control. Towards the end she was just serving slowly to Flipkens' fh on autopilot.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2614
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
That first point in the second set when she got some weak chipped passes from Flipkens' bh and then screwed up the smash discouraged her. From then on she didn't believe in attacking her bh side. She lost faith in the plan just because it failed on one point- and she should have won that point if she hit a decent smash.
Or if she hit the smash to the open court and not right at Flipkens.

I also think that the fact she lost that ONE point discouraged her completely. It was the 1st point of Flipkens serve at 5-4 in the 1st set though. Now.. Ana giving up on a match because of losing one point in a stupid way tells a lot about where her head is.. not on the tennis court.

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2615
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
I think the reason that you recognised that phrase from me Isa is that it probably is something I say when I'm afraid she's going to lose but I don't want to admit it...

Ana didn't serve big enough to Flipkens' bh, didn't hit big enough shots to Flipkens' bh. If you hit slowly to her bh of course she can slice well but if you smack it hard and deep she won't pull off a very good slice, actually she'll probably lose control. Towards the end she was just serving slowly to Flipkens' fh on autopilot.
I feel like Ana barely hit to Flipkens BH at all... one shot there and she would lose patience with the slice and hit to Flipkens FH and get attacked. Ana is slow as an elephant now, even though she looks as thin as a toothpick. One Flipkens FH to a corner and she would win the point.

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2616
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

Quote:

Yes, she didn't play to Flipkens' backhand, but that's Ana, she lacks tactics. I must say Flipkens WAS good and she IS one of those toughest match-ups for Ana, like Oprandi, especially on this surface.
We're all disappointed, I know, I'd been already pretty down myself and then she spiced it up with this loss. I always hope the next week will be a breakthrough, I can't stop waiting for that 'next' week...
Linguae^ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #2617
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, credit to Flipkens, she indeed was very good despite all the silly play from Ana.

I agree Linguae that despite Ana going in as heavy favourite this match up is awkward for her, just like Vinci and Oprandi. She doesn't like it when someone likes to slice the bh. She finds it uncomfortable so she psychologically runs away from the slice and goes into the fh which at least comes back with topspin. However that's exactly what the opponent is hoping for. She needs someone to just slice balls to her so she can get comfortable with it. Watch Federer or something. He's great at that. He slices the bh to encourage people to slice back and then he says thank you, watch me run around this ball and kill you with my forehand. Mind you, his thinking on court is also somewhat better than Ana's.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2618
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yes, credit to Flipkens, she indeed was very good despite all the silly play from Ana.

I agree Linguae that despite Ana going in as heavy favourite this match up is awkward for her, just like Vinci and Oprandi. She doesn't like it when someone likes to slice the bh. She finds it uncomfortable so she psychologically runs away from the slice and goes into the fh which at least comes back with topspin. However that's exactly what the opponent is hoping for. She needs someone to just slice balls to her so she can get comfortable with it. Watch Federer or something. He's great at that. He slices the bh to encourage people to slice back and then he says thank you, watch me run around this ball and kill you with my forehand. Mind you, his thinking on court is also somewhat better than Ana's.
Yes, something like that. I'm so disappointed, I can't speak.
I don't think that Nigel still plays a big role, I don't think there's anything more he can help her, she has to find a better coach. Anyways, I know she's really tough on herself, I believe that she's now super disappointed, but that's life. Maybe she wins Moscow, who knows? But I'm so desperate.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #2619
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Yes, she didn't play to Flipkens' backhand, but that's Ana, she lacks tactics. I must say Flipkens WAS good and she IS one of those toughest match-ups for Ana, like Oprandi, especially on this surface.
We're all disappointed, I know, I'd been already pretty down myself and then she spiced it up with this loss. I always hope the next week will be a breakthrough, I can't stop waiting for that 'next' week...
Flipkens and Oprandi bad match ups.. Don't know whether to laugh or cry..

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #2620
country flag Linguae^

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Flipkens and Oprandi bad match ups.. Don't know whether to laugh or cry..
Then go and play them, don't dare losing.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2621
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Then go and play them, don't dare losing.
I'm not a pro player who wants to be top 10..

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #2622
country flag HowardH

Quote:
Yes, something like that. I'm so disappointed, I can't speak.
I don't think that Nigel still plays a big role, I don't think there's anything more he can help her, she has to find a better coach. Anyways, I know she's really tough on herself, I believe that she's now super disappointed, but that's life. Maybe she wins Moscow, who knows? But I'm so desperate.
I don't think it's really Nigel's fault, it's Ana's. I think he's quite a decent coach but for some reason she lacks belief in his ideas. It only took one silly point where she tried to apply his plan and it failed because she didn't smash or hit a winning volley into the open court for her to think his idea was wrong. Remember at 3-5, the game before he came on, when she served into Kirsten's fh out wide, it came back like a bullet but somehow she got down on her knees and hit a winner with her bh. After that she looked into the box and gestured with her finger as if to say "see? I just did the opposite of what you said and it worked." But actually it was lucky.

I think the reason she struggled to implement that plan is that she is not very astute tactically. There was an extra unspoken element to the plan, but normally it would be unsaid and everyone would automatically understand. That is, you go into the weakness when there is not enough space for the winner. But when the space is there you hit the volley or smash into the open court for the winner. On those 3 volleys and smash she had after Nigel came on, she was thinking only about going to the weakness and didn't even see the open court. Surely it's basic strategy to know when it's time to switch- when the winner is available and not before. When that point was lost she thought, hmm, focusing on the bh doesn't work at all, I just went there 5 times in a row and lost the point.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2623
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, of course she can't focus on opponents' weaknesses and exploit them properly. But, atm, being so weak, she has to, but it doesn't work. For years she's been one of the strongest girls there, so she had to care about her game only, she never thought about other players' weaknesses.

Now, when her weapons are gone, she must find a way to neutralize her opponents' weapons. Ridiculous.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #2624
country flag gloria7

gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all gloria7 is a name known to all

I can't blame the coach all the time...It's hard to believe that none of them was good enough to teach her something about the game...That she couldn't "pick up" a tip, an advice from them...to learn something. 9 coaches and each and every one of them had to tell her to be aggressive?

She lacks belief in Nigel's ideas, but it was the same with other coaches...it's like she "tests" them while they are working with her. Wimby '09? Ana said in an interview :"Darren told me how to play on grass, he gave me couple of tips...then i saw Federer doing that in his match and i thought,- i should do the same thing...it's worth trying"...So Federer proved that Cahill's idea, or tip, was good. But if she doesn't believe in prepared strategy (and she doesn't know how to change tactisc, on her own during the match)- she loses faith in the plan, in herself and coach......Today she was mad at herself and Nigel at the same time.
gloria7 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2625
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria7 View Post
I can't blame the coach all the time...It's hard to believe that none of them was good enough to teach her something about the game...That she couldn't "pick up" a tip, an advice from them...to learn something. 9 coaches and each and every one of them had to tell her to be aggressive?

She lacks belief in Nigel's ideas, but it was the same with other coaches...it's like she "tests" them while they are working with her. Wimby '09? Ana said in an interview :"Darren told me how to play on grass, he gave me couple of tips...then i saw Federer doing that in his match and i thought,- i should do the same thing...it's worth trying"...So Federer proved that Cahill's idea, or tip, was good. But if she doesn't believe in prepared strategy (and she doesn't know how to change tactisc, on her own during the match)- she loses faith in the plan, in herself and coach......Today she was mad at herself and Nigel at the same time.
Those quotes make me sad. Just like the quotes about Novak after the OG. Try hiring Andre fucking Agassi or that troll Wilander, Ana, if you're so impressed by ATP players.