What's *your* take on why Kvitova isn't playing up to her potential? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
What's *your* take on why Kvitova isn't playing up to her potential?

As most here know I get bashed when I offer my opinions on why that is. But there must be reasons. She has IMO more natural talent than all except a handful of players and yet so far this year her play - outside of Fed Cup - has bee mediocre. What is holding her back?
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's *your* take on why Kvitova isn't playing up to her potential?

She's fat!
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3
country flag flyingmachine

flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute

It's all about the head.

Smells like Kvitova spirit

Allez Forever!

Amelie Mauresmo: Wimbledon Champion 2006
flyingmachine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #4
country flag Synth

Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all Synth is a name known to all

She's young.
Synth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #5
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Still needs time to grow into her game completely since there are so many dimensions.
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #6
country flag vendulkabendulka

vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice vendulkabendulka is just really nice

She has lost her mojo.
vendulkabendulka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #7
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

It all happened too quickly.
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #8
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Cool Re: What's *your* take on why Kvitova isn't playing up to her potential?

Let´s face it, health issues and poor conditioning have sabotaged her season so far. They are probably the main culprits. But still, with just a few more breaks and better decisions on court, she could have achieved some great successes already.

First of all, whether she likes it or not she needs to change her game and cut down on the UEs. They are why she loses to people she has no business losing to. They cause her to give away points like candy. It has to STOP! And also, she needs to quit making boneheaded mistakes such as the one that cost her a set in her most recent match against Masha. She did the same damn thing at the AO. She's too good for this kind of nonsense. This also has to STOP!

Secondly, she needs to emulate Serena and Masha and get mentally tougher. She keeps folding under pressure as if she questions herself and her ability. Frankly, I'm beginning to question how strong her drive to be the best is. Is she satisfied already? Does she lack confidence? Who knows? If we're lucky, it's just the growing pains of a young champion and the best is yet to come once she gets her head screwed on straight.

Holding my thumbs and crossing my fingers my last sentence is the REAL reason.

BTW Pov: Please continue to speak your mind here. Just try not to use the 'C' word too much. It makes some people here crazy!
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #9
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Petra Fan View Post
BTW Pov: Please continue to speak your mind here.
Much thanks for that thumbs-up. And yeah, I think your analysis covered what I think of as being the main points. It's funny, with almost any athlete it's tough to know what's really going on with them inwardly. So we surmise.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #10
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Petra's physical problems this year reminds me of Maria in 2007 - 2008 period when her shoulder started to bother her. Maria was only 20 years old then, younger than Petra today.

Hopefully, Petra deals with her issues better than Maria so that she doesn't go through the next 4-5 years without winning a grand slam title like Maria.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #11

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

As evident in her match today against Kerber, I think Petra's reoccurring health problems is the number one thing that has held her back this year. If she was completely healthy, she would've won a few titles already.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #12
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisAddict84 View Post
As evident in her match today against Kerber, I think Petra's reoccurring health problems is the number one thing that has held her back this year. If she was completely healthy, she would've won a few titles already.
the problem is why on earth her team always fail to keep her healthy this year?
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #13
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeyWimey View Post
the problem is why on earth her team always fail to keep her healthy this year?
Yeah, I think there can be some tighter restrictions on Petra's time and preparation. Absolutely.

Petra should of never been allowed to play all out against Lucie H. in that oft quoted Czech Club league match-suffering a mild Achilles tear in the process, when she still had 7 more days of Preseason training to get through). That was dumb and started off the whole process/chain reaction.

I know it may seem like Monday Night Quarterbacking some of you. But commonsense would of told them, Petra shouldn't of been home in the cold ass/blizzard-like Czech Republic if she was going to play in the hot ass desert in Doha the next week. They couldn't of sent her on vacation in a warm weather environment or just had her hang out close by in Dubai with her family or something?

That virus carried over to Indian Wells (while she looked great in her first set against McHale), and probably made her susceptible for that stomach virus as well; then she had asthma in Miami.

The asthma in Miami she couldn't of helped/stopped. Agreed. But the condition she had since January through Indian Wells, could of been avoided, with better preparation of Petra's pre-season playing and time. Yes! You do have a point!
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #14
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

she lost a huge amount of weight but could still lose some more
King Halep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Yeah, I think there can be some tighter restrictions on Petra's time and preparation. Absolutely.

Petra should of never been allowed to play all out against Lucie H. in that oft quoted Czech Club league match-suffering a mild Achilles tear in the process, when she still had 7 more days of Preseason training to get through). That was dumb and started off the whole process/chain reaction.

I know it may seem like Monday Night Quarterbacking some of you. But commonsense would of told them, Petra shouldn't of been home in the cold ass/blizzard-like Czech Republic if she was going to play in the hot ass desert in Doha the next week. They couldn't of sent her on vacation in a warm weather environment or just had her hang out close by in Dubai with her family or something?

That virus carried over to Indian Wells (while she looked great in her first set against McHale), and probably made her susceptible for that stomach virus as well; then she had asthma in Miami.

The asthma in Miami she couldn't of helped/stopped. Agreed. But the condition she had since January through Indian Wells, could of been avoided, with better preparation of Petra's pre-season playing and time. Yes! You do have a point!
Her team def needs to schedule better next season and for the right events. I also felt that she should've played Brisbane this year instead of Hopman Cup so that she could get used to the outside playing conditions better in Australia. Since Hopman Cup was played indoors, I feel like it didn't really contribute to her preparation. She wasn't hitting the ball well all tournament long in Sydney, which carried over to AO (granted she still got to the semis).