Mirjana's spring 2012 European swing - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 5th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future
Mirjana's spring 2012 European swing

Cagnes-sur-mer draw is out. In R1 Mirjana plays Radwanska (Urszula, that is). The winner plays Babos (#2 seed) or Czink.

Good luck, Mirjana!
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mirjana's spring 2012 European swing

Good luck!!
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #3
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Mirjana grew-up on this European red-dirt. It brings-out the more strategic part of her game, she feels her footing on these courts in a way she doesn't on hard courts, and her best "overall" career achievements have come on red clay (2 WTA Tournament wins, a RU in Strasbourg, 3R in Paris, QF last year, etc.)

A focused, fully-charged Mirjana can certainly do some damage, here. Would love to see her trade bombs with Babos (Babos is a HARD-hitter, for sure, one of the biggest, but Mirjana hits harder, IMO!). Cagnes-sur-Mer is un tres beaux petit village, very close to Nice (practically part of it) and I have visted a number of times when I lived in France in the 90s and once afterward. Hopefully Mirjana (and all the players) will be inspired to produce their best in that lovely setting.

Bring your big-game, your experience, your focus, and fight to get some wins, honey! GL!
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #4
country flag kfh_9118

kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Miki

=Good luck to my favourite players: Mirjana Lucic, Elena Dementieva, Li Na, Maria Kirilenko, Daniela Hantuchova, Vera Zvonareva, Zheng Jie, Venus Williams =
kfh_9118 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #5
country flag kfh_9118

kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute

tough draw, but winnable.

Surprised she didn't try to play Madrid instead

=Good luck to my favourite players: Mirjana Lucic, Elena Dementieva, Li Na, Maria Kirilenko, Daniela Hantuchova, Vera Zvonareva, Zheng Jie, Venus Williams =
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #6
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfh_9118 View Post
tough draw, but winnable.

Surprised she didn't try to play Madrid instead
Yes, I thought so, too, but for some reason she decided to jettison pee-wee qualifying rounds in Portugal(Estoril) and Madrid so she might make a run at the 100K+H, in a very glamorous town, and make impact.

It was a gamble, but I think she is truly gambling at this juncture in her already honorable comeback, and Madrid was iffy, and her berth in Rome looks very iffy, at this point, so she saw-ahead and kept this MD ITF on her plate.

Again, I don't know why she just chucked Portugal, but it may be due to money. It looks like she will not even make the Rome quallies late this week, so she took the next best option.

Putting her eggs in one basket, but it's as good a basket as any, and she still has Strasbourg QD and Paris MD.

Let us just hope that she comes out roaring on the soil of her very own native continent!

I will be interested to see what happens.

Mirjana Lucic on red clay on European soil is NOT a player to be taken lightly.

She's no pushover on this continent, on this surface.

Gosh ... wish her major awesomeness
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Lost to U. Radwanska 4 and 4
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #8
country flag mikireturns

Ewww.

REALLY big setback. She needed at least one win here, especially against a ripe-for-the-beating U Radwanska.

I don't think she is going to make the Rome quallies, so almost two weeks of sitting around, i.e. NO MATCHES. If there is another ITF event in Europe (even a 25K), she ought to make a beeline to it and get some matches.

Terrible, terrible loss. Babos was upended by Czink, too ... she had a pathway to the final.

But, does Mirjana ever really have a "pathway" to anywhere?

Get it together, kid.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #9
country flag networthy

^ Wish she could find a pathway to the second round
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #10
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
^ Wish she could find a pathway to the second round
Eminently true! Poor Mirjana. You know she was trying from the scoreline. I would love to see the stats.

I still say she is going to get her magic run and it is going to happen at a Slam!

Old May 7th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #11
country flag mikireturns

I guess a lot of people are really focused on Martic right now, and understandably so. But I still think Mirjana is the more talented player, if she would just get it together in one event and make the kind of run I know she can make.

I have to beleieve Mirjana believes she can do it. Really, she has not had anywhere near the support system that Martic has had, and Mirjana may have bungled a few things in that regard, but her fitness is so top-notch and she has been working so so so hard.

I want to see it pay-off in a run! Mirjana has earned it, in my opinion. by "run" I mean a WTA semifinal or final at least at the International level, and a R3 or Round of 16 at a Slam (Paris or Wimbledon or both).

Girlfriend NEEDS to get back into the Top 100 NOW.

She may just barely squeak into Rome, but no guarantee. Barring last-minute wild-cards or "special entry" designations, she is not apparently looking at the 100K in Prague or the 50K in St. Gaudens, or even the 25K in Italy, should she fail to make the Rome cut.

Girl needs matches!

GL, Mirjana ... it's gonna happen; just MAKE it happen.
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #12
country flag kfh_9118

terrible loss

don't know what to expect from her anymore, maybe hoping for 1 win in RG

Old May 8th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #13
country flag networthy

^ I always expect Mirjana to crash out in the first round. However, I also believe, like mikireturns, that she has it in her to make a solid run: WTA SF or R3/R4 of a Grand Slam. I hope we'll see it someday!
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #14
country flag mikireturns

Kinda funny, how we form mental images of the people who post here based upon their icons/images.

For example, I automatically assume that kfh 1800 is a shy, demure, gorgeous little pretty-puss, exactly like Dementieva (who was one of my favorites for years, too ...)

From my icon, people would think I am an electrical three-headed Japanese dragon, which would be an accurate assessment, I guess.

Mirjana is so gifted and she wants it SO much ... I believe a good result is going to HAPPEN for her very soon because she work so hard.

Do I think she will ever become a Top 50 player? Not a chance in hell.

You need to beat the Urzulas of the world in first rounds of Challengers to ride the big waves on the WTA.

Mirjana, to my mind, has already redeemed herself and proved her wonderful self the past two years. She re-entered the Top 100 when everyone said she would never do it. She got to compete at Grand Slams, and she actually won a couple of GS-Level matches.

She could leave the game tomorrow with pride and honor. But, yes, she has a big-ass "run" in her, and I want to see it, too.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #15
country flag markdelaney

markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
Eminently true! Poor Mirjana. You know she was trying from the scoreline. I would love to see the stats.
Here are the stats.Lucic serving first:

SET 1:
0-1 (2 DFs broken to 15), 0-2 (R Holds to 15), 0-3 (Broken to 15 , 1 DF) 0-4 (R Holds to 15) 1-4 (Holds to 15), 1-5 (R Holds to 15), 2-5 (Holds to Love), 3-5 (Breaks to 30) , 4-5 (Holds to 15) 4-6 (R Holds to 30)

SET 2:
0-1 (Broken to 15) , 1-1 (Breaks back, 3 DF from R, 12 point game, wins on 4th BP), 1-2 (Broken after 3 DF) 1-3 (R Holds to 30), 2-3 (Holds to 30, 1 DF) , 2-4 (R Holds to 15) , 2-5 (Broken to 15), 3-5 (Breaks to 15) , 4-5 Holds to 15 (1 DF), 4-6 (R Holds to 30)

Other than chucking in 3 DFs after getting herself back into the match (Exactly as she did against Lauren Davis) . 1-5 down in set 1 and 2-5 Down in set 2 with sloppy errors. She had BP in 3 games and broke each time, otherwise never took Radwanska to deuce on her own serve

First serve 47%. Won 19/25 first serves. Second serve won 8/28
markdelaney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote