2012 NCAA predictions & bracket analysis! - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #181
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: 2012 NCAA predictions & bracket analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGatorFan View Post
So they let the host team finish up indoors, while Duke-UVA have to wait for the courts to dry to finish up outdoors, at the outdoor championships? Not that Texas had a chance, but letting UGA finish, and these others matches to carry on well into the night, well that's not home court cooking or anything. The rain delay happens, but why is just one match allowed indoors? Split it up, or put Duke-UVA on there now, so the match that follows them isn't starting at 10pm or later.

I think the scheduling decision was driven by managing time and resources efficiently, not a home team advantage. The Georgia vs Texas match was much further along, and could end soon. Georgia had the doubles point, and had won the first set on all six courts. So it was easy to visualize that with four court, and not that much time, that their match could be completed. And this was in contrast with Duke vs. U of Virginia, where the underdog team of UVA had just won the doubles point, and it was easy to visual a very long match, requiring more courts to decide.

When they got the stadium courts dried, they began both of the scheduled 7 pm matches on those six main courts side by side.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : May 18th, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #182
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
I was there all day, took a quick break and headed back out soon.

If you guys want, I can tweet updates (@TuckerJohns). I did a few, but I'd be happy to send more.

I'll post more notes later, but Georgia and UCLA were definitely the most impressive teams today so far, and Susanyi is the real deal, if anyone was doubting that.
I've been talking Susanyi up on this board, but I've got a little different thought. My opinion has evolved to she can be on and beat top players or as she was at Ojai and in the Fall just be very good. But she is on right now.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : May 18th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #183
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
after a tight doubles point, Gators dominating singles
Michigan had point for winning the doubles at 7-5, with one doubles match each. But the scores and storeline, instead of making one feel that Florida was vulnerable in doubles, was that even if they get behind, they can turn up the heat, and be expected to come back.
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #184
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
But seriously, what the hell, UGA? I know you hate Florida, but you make Michigan suffer too but not having the scores online? I thought Stanford was bad last year, day 1 not off to a good start for the usually great hosts.
Florida should put in a bid to host. It would be a good location. But I think that they'd find that running this type of event once every few years will inevitable have some hiccups, even at institution
s like Georgia and Stanford.
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #185
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, before I head out this morning to watch the men, gonna give a few thoughts on all of the matches. Let me know if you guys have any questions or if there is anything you want me to watch out for tomorrow!

UCLA/Rice
  • UCLA looked great, but it's hard to say if they actually played really well, or if Rice just isn't that good. I'd say it was a little of both.
  • Robin Anderson is so much fun to watch and was definitely one of the players of the day for me. She has every shot, and that forehand is fantastic.
  • I was looking forward to seeing Beazant too, and she was good, but she just couldn't match Robin's consistency yesterday.
  • Nice to see Stella put Carling in and for Carling to grab a point; she played well.
Cal/GT
  • It's hard to say too much about this one, because Cal was better across the board, and the outcome really wasn't in doubt.
  • Jana played pretty well and seemed totally healthy, which was nice to see. She's definitely dropped some weight, though, looked very fit and was moving well.
  • Susanyi was fantastic, hitting awesome groundstrokes and totally dominating her match. The Cal men's team was cheering loudly for the entire women's team but especially her.
  • I was unimpressed once again by Tayler Davis. Every match I've ever seen, she just pushes, and not very well at that. She's lucky that Anghelescu is out of shape/not a better player.
Stanford/NW
  • Another good match between these teams after their long one last year, with a lot of twists and turns. You might try to argue that the result was never in doubt, but there was a moment when it looked dicey for Stanford.
  • Nicole Gibbs is just so good. She wasn't her best yesterday, but she still has every shot in the book and her strokes are so solid. Turvy played a hell of a first set, counterpunching perfectly, but Nicole stepped it up in the end and came through.
  • Burdette/Niu was awesome. Mallory looked to be cruising to victory and the team's third (eventually fourth) point, up 6-2 5-3, but Belinda fought so hard, constantly making her hit that extra ball and coming up with amazing winners. The tiebreak was extremely tense, and when it was over, Mal looked like she wanted to throw her racquet. Not sure what would have happened in the end, after they traded breaks to start the third.
  • If only Brittany Wowchuk had converted one of the million set points she had against Tan in the second, NW would have had a chance. On most of those points, though, Stacey came up with the goods and showed why she got to the NCAA individual final last year. She was up 5-0 in the tiebreak before Wowchuck showed some fight of her own, but Tan closed it out with an overhead winner for 7-5.
  • Natalie Dillon is bad and extremely annoying, more vocal and demonstrative than anyone else on the team.
  • Unless Ahn gets back in the line-up for tomorrow, I think Stanford is very vulnerable, especially at the lower positions, and I'd be shocked if they even got to the final, given the strength of their half.
USC/Baylor
  • This was a dogfight. USC unsurprisingly won the doubles point and then battled through in the singles. I've never liked Baylor, so I was thrilled.
  • I don't know what happened to Desimone today, but she was awful. She looked so mediocre out there, and it was hard to even see how she'd be good, because she wasn't even trying to do anything. Sanford played well, but she's not going to blow you off the court, and this was a terrible performance for Gabi.
  • Megan Horter is terrible, and Val didn't even play well, but she crushed her. Baylor needs a better number six ASAP.
  • Zoe/Nina was a lot of fun to watch, with both girls just going for it. Zoe was a little more powerful and a little more focused in the end.
  • Lao saved countless match points at 6-5 in the second to stay alive. Watching her battle and keep Baylor from getting that second point surely helped the girls who were still on court and kept a little pressure off.
  • Santamaria was my favorite player on USC, great attitude and such a fun game. She fought in the end and really played great.
Georgia/Texas
  • What can you say about Georgia except that they played a great match from top to bottom? With their full line-up in effect and the homecourt advantage (they, understandably, had more than double the fans of any other team here), they look good. More than any other team out there, these girls were smiling and having fun on the court, which makes the entire experience more fun to watch.
  • Georgia doubles is GOOD. I like these teams that Jeff put together for the tournament, and they're all very solid.
  • Chelsey looks so at home on that first court, and these courts are perfect for her game. If she's on, she should beat anyone I saw today going forward. Some of the groundstrokes she hits are just incredible. Ellis has a nice game, but she just hits too many errors, simple as that.
  • Nadja was awesome today. She battled from a break down to win that first set and then cruised in the second. She served fantastically, and she's just such a nice girl.
  • Maho is a fighter and she found a way to win against Lina, who was probably the most impressive player on the Texas squad.
  • So excited to see Lauren back, serving normally and playing well. She is going to be tough to beat at number four, obviously, haha.
  • Patty Fendick-McCain, the Texas coach, is just annoying. She seems like she has a stick up her ass.
  • The indoor set-up at UGA is small (just four courts) but really convenient, right next to the stadium. It was a fun place to watch the girls clinch it and got pretty loud!
Duke/UVA
  • My thought about this entire match is just sort of "Eh." This is the third meeting between these two, and although Virginia finally won the doubles point they should have won every time, I don't think they were ever going to get four points.
  • Virginia doubles is great, obviously, and they were on today. Glad Lindsey/Emily will get the chance to play again in the doubles tournament together.
  • Capra is extremely solid. She will be tough to beat, but I'd give a few players I saw today a good chance against her.
  • I always love watching Lindsey, but she was not at her best today, spraying errors. Ester is in horrible shape. She could challenge for number one if she got her fitness together. It was really cute that after Peretz lost her tiebreak, Lindsey's parents hugged, and her mom said "I guess that's it."
  • Xi is potentially Virginia's top player. She has every shot and a great attitude, lots of fun to watch, especially against Mar, who is the opposite of fun to watch and like a little intense bulldog.
  • I was pretty unimpressed by the bottom of the line-up for both teams. Kahan is way better than Tomljanovic, who is another player who needs to get her fitness together. She moves terribly and got down on herself way too easily.
  • Turewicz and Peretz were having epic rallies in their tiebreak, some close to a minute long, but they usually ended with Peretz making the error, as neither player was aggressive at all today.
Florida/Michigan
  • I think the tone of this match would have been a lot different had Michigan closed out the doubles point when they had the chance, but they didn't, and Florida is way too strong at the bottom of the line-up to let them get away with that.
  • Michigan's number two doubles was just playing classic good doubles, but they let their nerves get to them at 7-5, and Embree/Mather took full advantage, stepping it up and cruising through the last few games, much to the delight of the sizable Gator fanbase, who were mostly elderly/indicative of the general population in Florida.
  • I had never seen Bektas play before, and her serve is the best one I saw all day. She rips her first serve and gets an awesome kick on the second, and she was winning quite a few free points off of it against Allie. Allie was as solid and mouthy as usual, just not very dynamic to watch.
  • Lauren is a fighter, but we all know that. She was down a break against a very game Bolender, but she battled back and never looked back. She's not the most fun to watch, but she gets it done and is so mentally tough. Bolender is really good, and she was staying in the long rallies, being the aggressor, but you just need so much to beat Lauren.
  • The rest of Florida's line-up was quite simply better than Michigan's, even an out-of-shape Cercone looked like a worldbeater. Mather/Nguyen was a lot of fun, but Jo played better at the end of the first set.
Miami/UNC
  • This one didn't end until 1:24 on the outer courts, and of course, some of that is attributable to the late start time, but the match also just wouldn't end! Sad for UNC, because I like them a lot better, and I think that if Lauren had played singles, they would have gotten through.
  • The doubles point was very back and forth, and Miami was just a little stronger in the end. Shame, because UNC doubles is pretty good, and Miami doubles is nothing to write home about.
  • Zoe is an error-machine. She has lovely strokes and a decent serve, but she just wouldn't stop missing. Bartenstein won't blow you off the court, even though she's solid, so this was a poor loss.
  • Wow, Shinann Featherston. She fought tooth and nail to stay alive in the end, when it looked like Mejia would surely clinch it against her, saving seven match points in spectacular fashion. The game at 5-2 had to have taken close to half an hour, and the crowd was on edge the entire time. She was at 4-5, 40-30 serving when the match was called, and I would have loved to see the end to this one.
  • Suarez seriously should have won. Up 4-2 in the third, she just started making errors that she wasn't making before, and Bolivar is too solid to let her get away with that.
  • Price is fun to watch. She sort of plays like a club player, but she comes up with some great shots.
  • Zimmerman is not good, but she was also injured, hobbling around on a bad ankle. Bizarrely, when she lost, no one on her team or coaching staff seemed to care at all or checked on her to see how she was doing.
  • Haley Hemm is a very average singles player, and Dubins isn't much better, but she had more than enough today. Lyons would have beaten her soundly, though.
  • Miami will get trounced by Florida, mark my words.
Other thoughts:
  • So during the Baylor match, there was this college-aged girl, totally decked out in neon Baylor attire and cheering incessantly for Baylor. No one seemed to like her very much, but she was shouting things like "SO much sic 'em out there, D, it's UNBELIEVABLE." It doesn't sound bad written down, but the way she was screaming nonstop and the volume were just so grating. The USC men's team, who were watching, actually started making fun of her and mocking her, which got her to move to the other side of the courts, at least. I figured she was a bench player for Baylor or something, but when they lost, I let it go, because I thought I'd never see her again. Oh, how I was wrong. I sat down to watch the end of the UNC/Miami doubles point, and there she was, standing alone in front of the Miami cheering section dressed in a Miami sweatsuit. I thought it was her, and then her cheers gave it away, and I was really confused as to why she would be cheering so hard for two different teams. I sat down to watch the singles, and Lauren McHale was sitting right in front of me. When there were only two matches left on court, this girl goes and stands alone behind Shinann and starts cheering against her. The UNC coach started to complain, and someone asked Lauren who this girl was. She explained that she's the manager of the Baylor team, who hates the UNC team with a passion for reasons unexplained, and she asked for Miami clothes from the team so she could cheer for them. She would say things like "Is that a little bit of rain? Do I feel a little wind? Seems like a HURRICANE is coming!" Or when Shinann would make an error "I like it, I love it, I want some more of it." She was horrible, and the UNC fans, who were very respectful, were annoyed at her. I can only hope she's on the bus back to Waco before the next Miami match.
  • During the rain delay for the Georgia match, I happened to be standing behind the glorious creature that is Pamela Will. I said it before, but I'm not kidding when I say that I knew it had to be Allie's mom before she even said it, because they look so much alike, mainly the mess of fake blonde hair on top of their heads. She was talking to some guy she just met about how "thrilled" she and her husband were that Allie went to college, because she's grown up so much and learned so much about herself. Apparently, during the fall when she was playing all of those ITF tournaments, she was taking classes solely online. At one point, she looked at her phone and goes "Text from Allie Will, 'OMG it's raining.' No crap. What was your first clue?" She also asked him if he was coming back to watch the men today, and when he said yes, she goes "Good, because it's way more fun than watching the women." She was a hoot.
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #186
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

GREAT reports

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #187
country flag ats_tennis

ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice

WOW thank you so much for the reports!!!
ats_tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #188
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

Fantastic report Tucker!

I agree that the Card probably won't have a chance w/o Ahn in the lineup. Re: Dillon - I don't think she's that bad. Her forehand is good, but can be inconsistent. Her backhand not as strong and can produce short balls that the opponents can take advantage of. What gets me is her fist pumping "come on"s in your face demeanor after she wins points. To have that kind of attitude is one thing, but you better have some serious game to back it up.

Funny stories about the Baylor Manager and P Will!

I look forward to your next report!!

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #189
country flag SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice

Thanks for the reports Tucker! Can't wait to hear more throughout the tourney!
SakiBomb25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #190
country flag ats_tennis

ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice

from Zootennis:

North Carolina coach Brian Kalbas decided to remove Lauren McHale from the No. 2 singles spot, moving everyone in his lineup on spot higher.

"She's been having a little foot problem," Kalbas said. "She could have played, but for us to try to do as well as we can this tournament, we took a chance that we could win four singles matches without her. I'm happy with the girls that played; that's not why we lost. We had good chances and it just didn't work out."

well oops saving McHale for a Florida match that they would lose anyway...

But I still love my Heels! Now I will hopping on the Trojan bandwagon for fantic. FIGHT ON
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #191
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats_tennis View Post
from Zootennis:

North Carolina coach Brian Kalbas decided to remove Lauren McHale from the No. 2 singles spot, moving everyone in his lineup on spot higher.

"She's been having a little foot problem," Kalbas said. "She could have played, but for us to try to do as well as we can this tournament, we took a chance that we could win four singles matches without her. I'm happy with the girls that played; that's not why we lost. We had good chances and it just didn't work out."

well oops saving McHale for a Florida match that they would lose anyway...

But I still love my Heels! Now I will hopping on the Trojan bandwagon for fantic. FIGHT ON
what bandwagon? there's no 'effect' thus far
But welcome aboard

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #192
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

from Zootennis;
"Asked about the all-Pac 12 half of the draw, Gallien said, "I think we should just re-draw it. I mean, what do they have against the Pac-12? But Stanford is the best team in the country, and I'm not saying that to be Lou Holtz, but when they were healthy early in the year, they beat the pants off Florida, and they seem to be healthy again. It's a big challenge for us, but there's certainly no pressure on us, so we're going to give them hell, as they say.""

give them hell!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old May 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #193
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

also on zootennis;

"Forood was candid in her comments about the Pac-12's unfortunate placement in the draw.

"None of us are happy about it," said Forood. "Obviously, it's based on the seeding, which is based on the ITA ranking, largely. Personally I'm not a fan and would like to see more diversity of conference. All I can say is we were the 1, the 5, the 8 and the 9 seeds, and that puts you in the same (half of the) draw the way they slot everybody. I'm a little shocked really at the way the seedings ended up being. I don't know that they reflect the results. And I'll leave it at that." "

- Woodrow Wilson
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #194
country flag ats_tennis

Facebook status: Rachel Kahan-
DWT in the quarters of ncaas!!!! Let's go duke! So proud of the team!

Comment: Matthew Boyle- Best of luck against Georgia. They looked really sharp today, but I think/hope you all can pull it out!

mboyle?!
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #195
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats_tennis View Post
Facebook status: Rachel Kahan-
DWT in the quarters of ncaas!!!! Let's go duke! So proud of the team!

Comment: Matthew Boyle- Best of luck against Georgia. They looked really sharp today, but I think/hope you all can pull it out!

mboyle?!
hahah mboyle! I Friend requested on there (Sam P)
desariofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote