The Italian Open Championships - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #76
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Re: The Italian Open Championships

This is a GREAT thread, thank for posting it! Also the one about Stuttgart-Filderstadt!
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #77
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
This is a GREAT thread, thank for posting it! Also the one about Stuttgart-Filderstadt!
Huge +1 (the 2 threads)
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #78
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both

Added in youtube links to the 1990 event. Lots of Capriati, Seles, Navratilova, Sabatini, and a rare look at Kelesi in action.

Does anyone have pictures of Gaby from the Italian?
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #79

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

I watched some of those matches from 1990, and yeah, it's interesting stuff about the fiery Canadian Martina was on against Gaby, who also had an apparently very enjoyable match against a very young Jennifer (not that Gaby was old either, she was still 19 then!).
I have some pics of Gaby in different years at the Italian, do you want me to post them on the respective years posts?
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #80
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I watched some of those matches from 1990, and yeah, it's interesting stuff about the fiery Canadian Martina was on against Gaby, who also had an apparently very enjoyable match against a very young Jennifer (not that Gaby was old either, she was still 19 then!).
I have some pics of Gaby in different years at the Italian, do you want me to post them on the respective years posts?
Yes, what a temper she had-LOL

Please DO post those Gaby pics. If you post them in here I will add them to the right year and credit them to you.

Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Sabatini defeated Martinez 61 62 and Seles 63 62 to win her third title. Navratilova, the 3rd seed, was thwarted by Martinez 63 64 in the quarters.
I want to mention that Gabriela Sabatini probably played some of her best tennis at this event, and her game in the 1991 and 1992 finals is some of the best tennis I've ever seen. She lost early in her last appearances in 1994 and 1995, but from 1987 to 1993, out of 7 events, she won four and reached two finals and a semi. Really impressive, considering she beat the number 1 player 3 times (1987 Navratilova and Seles in 1991 and 1992).
In 1991 her game was flawless, and these were her rivals and the scores:
R64 BYE
R32 Coetzer, Amanda (RSA) 6-2 6-2
R16 Tauziat, Nathalie (FRA) 6-0 6-1
Q Capriati, Jennifer (USA) 6-0 6-2
S Martinez, Conchita (ESP) 6-1 6-0
F Seles, Monica (USA) 6-3 6-2
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #82
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
I want to mention that Gabriela Sabatini probably played some of her best tennis at this event, and her game in the 1991 and 1992 finals is some of the best tennis I've ever seen. She lost early in her last appearances in 1994 and 1995, but from 1987 to 1993, out of 7 events, she won four and reached two finals and a semi. Really impressive, considering she beat the number 1 player 3 times (1987 Navratilova and Seles in 1991 and 1992).
In 1991 her game was flawless, and these were her rivals and the scores:
R64 BYE
R32 Coetzer, Amanda (RSA) 6-2 6-2
R16 Tauziat, Nathalie (FRA) 6-0 6-1
Q Capriati, Jennifer (USA) 6-0 6-2
S Martinez, Conchita (ESP) 6-1 6-0
F Seles, Monica (USA) 6-3 6-2
Thanks GB. I incorporated a lot of this post in the 1991 section.

Also added results for 1935 and positively IDed the picture as the Valerio-Aussem semi from 1935.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #83

Here are some pics of Gabriela Sabatini at the Italian Open, clearly her best tournament.
This is from around 1988 or 1989

These two from her win in 1991

And two from 2008 (to see the former champion "aging"); I know it was the men's event, but Djokovic was so funny that day:

Old Apr 8th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #84
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Martinez defended her title in a tight two-set 76 (5) 64 victory over Navratilova in the latter’s last season. Navratilova thus ended her career without an Italian singles title to her name. Ironically, her 4th and last final at the age of 37, was the closest she ever got.
I always felt that those 4 career Italian Open wins by Martinez over Navratilova, especially the 1994 one, were big reasons why Conchita beat Martina at Wimbledon in 1994. It may seem strange that clay court wins would inspire grass court wins. But Conchita had a 4-1 career edge over Martina at the time of their Wimbledon final. So she had little memory of losing to Martina. Plus, Martina was the heavy favorite in the Wimbledon match, so Conchita must have been even looser.

Despite her loopy strokes and reluctance to come to the net, Conchita had some natural grass court weapons. Her serve would stay low, and she could use her slice backhand effectively on grass.

slightly off topic, but Conchita's win at Wimbledon in 1994 somewhat mirrors what Kvitova did at Wimbledon in 2011. In both cases, the Wimbledon champs lost a close to semi to the eventual champ the year prior to winning their first major, surprising a former champ in the final.

Interesting that 4 time champs Conchita and Gabby were so successful in Rome, but couldn't parlay that success into wins in Paris. Oh well, they'll always have Rome!!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #85
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Here are some pics of Gabriela Sabatini at the Italian Open, clearly her best tournament.
This is from around 1988 or 1989

These two from her win in 1991

And two from 2008 (to see the former champion "aging"); I know it was the men's event, but Djokovic was so funny that day:

The grin on Nole's face was priceless.
nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #86

Yeah! He looked so awkwardly male, I mean, classic boyish when close to a gorgeous woman, older than him besides. It was really funny, and Gabriela laughed heartily!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #87
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah! He looked so awkwardly male, I mean, classic boyish when close to a gorgeous woman, older than him besides. It was really funny, and Gabriela laughed heartily!
Gabriela was indeed gorgeous! One of the prettiest tennis players ever, with a game to match. Her Wimbledon finals loss to Graf was one of the saddest days of my life -LOL!!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #88
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

The clay courts of the Italian were faster than Roland Garros, which helped players like: Turner, Martinez, Serena and even Sampras.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #89
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I posted your pictures Gabybackand. Thank you!

Also posted QF results and a picture of 1932 champ Ida Adamoff.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #90
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Updated through the 1930s. The next post will be from 1950