The Italian Open Championships - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #61
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Italian Open Championships

Serena Williams joined her sister on the roll of honour, beating Capriati in sf and Justine Hénin in the final for her first clay court title.

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #62
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Kim Clijsters beat Amélie Mauresmo, who had put out Serena Williams, coming back and winning 7 straight games and the second set tie-break from 36 56 in the final. The Frenchwoman is thus a three-time losing finalist, one short of Navratilova’s record 4 defeats without a victory.

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #63
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The Italian Open celebrates its diamond jubilee.

At last-Amelie wins in Rome in her 4th final

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #64
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Repetez Amelie!

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #65
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Martina Hingis

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #66
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #67
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Amelie at the Foro in 2008

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #68
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Dates: May 3-9
Site: The Foro Italico in Rome
Prize Money: $2,000,000 (a Tier I event)
Draw=56

Dinara Safina-2009 winner in Rome

2R: Patty Schnyder (Swt) d Serena Williams (US) [2] 6-2 2-6 6-1

QF: Dinara Safina (Rus) [1] d Maria Jose Martinez (Sp) 4-6 6-3 6-0
QF: Venus Williams (US)[4] d Agnieszka Radwanska (Pol)[10] 6-1 6-2
QF: Svetlana Kuznetsova (Rus) [7] d Jelena Jankovic (Ser)[3] 6-1 7-6 (7-3)
QF: Vika Azarenka (Byl) [6] d Kaia Kanepi (Est) 7-6 (7-5) 6-3

SF: Safina d V Williams [4] 6-7 (3-7) 6-3 6-4
SF: Kuznetsova [7] d Azarenka [6] 6-2 6-4

FI: Dinara Safina [1] d Svetlana Kuznetsova [7] 6-3 6-2

DF: Su-Wei Hsieh/ Shaui Peng [7] d Daniela Hantuchova/Ai Sugiyama [5] 7-6 7-6 (7-5)

Earlu upsets included defending chmap Jankovic, who was blown off the court by Kuznetsova, and Serena Williams, who fell to wily lefty Patty Schnyder.

Safina has had to work to get to this week's final, including a quarterfinal match in which she was down a set and 1-3 in the second before reeling off 11 straight games. That same resilience was needed against the fourth-seeded Williams before Safina finished off a 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 6-4 match that took more than three hours.

"I think (Friday's) match really helped me to push myself to play my best," Safina said, referencing her win over American Venus Williams. "I think I played one of my best matches (Friday). I didn't want to have a reputation that I'm losing finals."

This was Safina's first 2009 title after going 0-3 in previous finals this year. Safina easily avenged her loss to Kuznetsova the week before in Stuttgart. The world #1 rose to 10-10 all-time in finals and is 8-5 against Kuznetsova.

Her victory was worth $350,000.

"I couldn't find the solution today," Kuznetsova said. "I couldn't play my game at all. I made too many unforced errors."

Dinara with her trophy

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #69
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A surprise winner: Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #70
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A link to the final on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUmN3PhPdac

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #71
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 6th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #72
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 5th, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #73
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 5th, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #74
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Might it be possible to add to the results the nationalities of the overseas players who took part in the Italian Championships/Italian Open?
-----
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #75
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Might it be possible to add to the results the nationalities of the overseas players who took part in the Italian Championships/Italian Open?
Good idea. I added nationalities in the first post. Also added other information about most titles, etc.

I also added information for 1930 and 1931, a picture that I think is from 1935 (if anyone has the exact date that would be great!)

Over the next couple of months I'll add in all the results from the QF on. I have a book on the event in Italian that provides thumbnail results.

Any contributions are welcome

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 5th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.