Margaret Court Picture Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Margaret Court Picture Thread

For pictures of Margaret Smith-Court
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Margaret Court Picture Thread

Margaret Smith's first big title-the 1960 Australian National title. Ironically she lost in the junior girls event here!

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the years, but two other Aussie Open wins:

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Rollo- I have a bunch of pics in the old Margaret Smith Court thread (can't remember what the thread is called). Is there any way to find them and transfer or copy the pics here? There are some really rare ones in that thread.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Rollo- I have a bunch of pics in the old Margaret Smith Court thread (can't remember what the thread is called). Is there any way to find them and transfer or copy the pics here? There are some really rare ones in that thread.
I'll check on that Jeff. Like the new avatar BTW. It might be the size, but you look like a German noble minus the monocle!

I feel like I shuld address you as Herr Baron von Jeffster now
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #6

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I'll check on that Jeff. Like the new avatar BTW. It might be the size, but you look like a German noble minus the monocle!

I feel like I shuld address you as Herr Baron von Jeffster now
Everyone in my family says I look like my dad, which if you knew how my dad and I argued and fought like cats and dogs, you'd find as funny as I do. I got my mom's knuckles and finger size, and when I was a pretty young man, I did look more like her. Oh, and I don't mind the German descriptive at all, being the only non-blonde in the family!
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Still no luck tracking down your pics Alfa. But I did find this.....

Little Miss Billie Jean Moffitt sat on on Miss Smith toughit and ruined her hopes of winnign Wimbledon 1962. Court generally came out on top during their rivalry, but King won her share. Quite a winsome look on Miss Moffitt's face...

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #8

Odd to see Billie Jean dressed more traditionally than Margaret. Also, I didn't realize they had hideous designs on jackets back then. Smith looks soooo Aussie in this pic- if you cleared away the hair covering them, the classic cab-door ears are there to compliment the slightly bucked teeth. Still, they're both lovely young ladies all things considered.
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:32 PM   #9

Probably my favorite pic of Margaret- not a foot on the ground and perfectly balanced for a very difficult volley.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Probably my favorite pic of Margaret- not a foot on the ground and perfectly balanced for a very difficult volley.
Not to mention blonde! Great pic Alfa

She'll never win any grace awards-but what an athlete. I put down a lot of her stiffnes to having to play with her non dominant hand. A natural lefty, she was made to switch.

Just imagine if she had stayed lefthanded.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Not to mention blonde! Great pic Alfa

She'll never win any grace awards-but what an athlete. I put down a lot of her stiffnes to having to play with her non dominant hand. A natural lefty, she was made to switch.

Just imagine if she had stayed lefthanded.
Oh, I know. She looks like a goose headed for an aircraft turbine. This may sound silly, but I'm serious here- I think she really suffered from being such a prude and wearing longer skirts and later on in her career those hideous oversized collars which she hid behind. Graf suffered from the same insecurities with her shoulders and hands. She thought it made her look less feminine. Oh, and regarding Madge's hair, my sister is a licensed cosmetologist, and I showed her several of Margaret's videos. She insisted they were highlights, and stupid me, I argued that it was all the sun.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM   #12
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
Oh, I know. She looks like a goose headed for an aircraft turbine. This may sound silly, but I'm serious here- I think she really suffered from being such a prude and wearing longer skirts and later on in her career those hideous oversized collars which she hid behind. Graf suffered from the same insecurities with her shoulders and hands. She thought it made her look less feminine. Oh, and regarding Madge's hair, my sister is a licensed cosmetologist, and I showed her several of Margaret's videos. She insisted they were highlights, and stupid me, I argued that it was all the sun.
Very funny! She was very awkward looking indeed much of the time ... esp when you watch her playing again Evert, Goolagong and Bueno who all had such grace and elegance and were incredibly feminine.

Even I could tell they were streaks (or highlights)

LOL @ the big collars - they were hideous. But those Tinling dresses were a bit improvement on the dowdy Fred Perry shirt and skirts she used to wear! Very frumpy. Martina went for the big collars too in the 70s.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:23 PM   #13

A nice early pic of the two Slammers (1962)

Old May 12th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #14
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
But those Tinling dresses were a bit improvement on the dowdy Fred Perry shirt and skirts she used to wear! Very frumpy.
What did Teddy call them? 'twopenny shirts'?
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #15

Margaret used to go out and paint the town in whatever tour stop she visited. it proved to be the beginning of her divine calling. It didn't get a lot of press, because she disguised herself so well:

[IMG][/IMG]