NCAA Tournament projections - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:16 AM   #31
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NCAA Tournament projections

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxt View Post
I still think Stanford/UCLA/USC/CAL all have a great shot at winning.. it all depends on the luck of the draw. Duke has a very different style of play, compared to the Californian teams. They tend to be more about topspin and slices, whereas Stanford hits mostly flat... Florida is very scrappy and they are very good defensively. This year will certainly be very interesting!
I think that describes USC VERY well The antipode to Stanford tennis that you described

I consider USC 'poor man's Florida' And that's why they lose to Stanford..

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Apr 23rd, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:02 PM   #32
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
That of with UT playing with 4 players really affected some bubble teams. UNLV, as you mentioned, and also LSU and Arkansas who both probably don't make it without the fluky UT win. Arkansas will make it by quite a bit but think about this:

LSU has a fluke win against a short-handed UT team.

Arkansas has a fluke win over UT and TWO wins over LSU whose ranking is inflated by the UT win.

It takes a bit of luck sometimes, doesn't it?
Sad part is someone at about # 44 (Missouri) is going to get left out that were much more deserving than LSU and maybe Arkansas. I doubt the committee will stop to look at that; they 'would' in a major sport (like basketball) but only because the media would already be pointing out the situation publicly.

Last edited by form : Apr 23rd, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM   #33
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very excited for the tournament. The draw will be very important.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #34
country flag form

Prior to updated rankings posting, I am curious

1) How many spots is Purdue gonna jump up? That was one heck of a week.

2) Does this loss bounce Michigan out as a host site?
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #35
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

form you can have your answer today ranking is coming out

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #36
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
form you can have your answer today ranking is coming out
Just noticed these double **

** NOTE: Per NCAA request, there will be no published ranking the week of NCAA Team and Singles/Doubles selections

http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRa...s-Rankings.htm
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #37
country flag form

I just saw this too... damn... they took the fun away

What I don't like is that it hides the transparency for team, singles and doubles

Which is contradictory of all other NCAA sports where they actually now DO post the rpi for all teams. Why did the tennis committee feel they needed to return to the secret stone ages?

In singles and doubles, there is no way to know who is still ranked?
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #38
country flag fantic

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #39
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post

What I don't like is that it hides the transparency for team, singles and doubles

Which is contradictory of all other NCAA sports where they actually now DO post the rpi for all teams. Why did the tennis committee feel they needed to return to the secret stone ages?

In singles and doubles, there is no way to know who is still ranked?
I'm guessing that they want to hide themselves when they seed the teams, but your right that hiding the singles and individual rankings has no benefit. I paid attention to the PAC-12 tournament, and because it is an individual tournament, #2 & #3 players have a unique chance to play those ranked above them and move up their own rankings. Schuttling, and Tan in particular come to mind as having wins over higher ranked players, and may have moved into the eligibility for the individual tournament. I think in doubles there was movement too...
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #40
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post

Why did the tennis committee feel they needed to return to the secret stone ages?
I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. Many voices criticize the computer, maybe they will seed the tournament more the way knowledgeable tennis fans do. But still, I like transparency for getting the correct results.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #41
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
I'm guessing that they want to hide themselves when they seed the teams, but your right that hiding the singles and individual rankings has no benefit. I paid attention to the PAC-12 tournament, and because it is an individual tournament, #2 & #3 players have a unique chance to play those ranked above them and move up their own rankings. Schuttling, and Tan in particular come to mind as having wins over higher ranked players, and may have moved into the eligibility for the individual tournament. I think in doubles there was movement too...
you mean, KK/Sabs moving up to #1 2nd..you're a bad boy, why didn't you say hi to me(or did you? )

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #42
country flag form

Ok, Purdue going to move up a bunch but still a # 2 seed
Texas will pass Baylor but both host
Does Michigan hold it's Top 16.. probably

Out west, Hawaii beat Fresno... that will shake up the # 3 seedings
# 71 U. San Diego had huge weekend taking out # 41 St Marys and # 38 Pepperdine

Based on USD in, the bubble moved forward to # 41. That would be St. Mary's based on last week... or does the committee look at them and skip them for a South Florida.

Based on last week's rankings, # 43 LB and # 44 VCU won their leagues anyway... and I don't see # 45 LSU gaining any ground. ...so really it 'appears' that either St Mary's or South Florida are the debate for the last spot.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #43
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

How does it look, with the rankings rolling twice this week, for Oklahoma State and St. Mary's??

tennisbuddy12 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:34 AM   #44
country flag form

Huh...

The only debate is St. Mary's (higher pt total) vs South Florida (some wins versus other teams in the tourney)

Neither won a match this week (So Florida off, St. Mary's lost so they should drop a decimal)

37 18.18 Oklahoma State University 51
38 17.61 Pepperdine 34
39 17.51 Rice University 40
40 17.44 University of Utah 38
41 16.92 Saint Mary's College of California 42
42 15.52 University of South Florida 39
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:18 AM   #45
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

They roll the rankings 2 times this week instead of the normal one, for NCAAs. I was just curious for my friends' sake, well and mine. I know both teams are worried.

tennisbuddy12 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote