Pac 12 - Page 99 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #1471
country flag gatorfan

gatorfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pac 12

Heard Skylar's headed to UGA.
gatorfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #1472
country flag SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Well, it evens out I guess. Despite their monster recruiting, they should've won 2, in 2011 & 2. Florida was the favorite in 2010 (Boonstra was 2 pts away from the match, even with Allie losing to Lindsay), and this year, you know
Stanford could have won in 2011 and possibly in 2012. But Kristie Ahn was injured. Injuries happen all the time. Florida deserved to win in those years, but I wonder how they would have matched up with a a healthy Stanford squad.
SakiBomb25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #1473
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Stanford beat Florida 6-1 or something in 2012? To think of it Stanford losing to USC then is even more surprising than 2013 NCAA, you really never know

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Oct 25th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #1474
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I think that's a pretty fair assessment by the coach. Unlike somebody here, she acknowledges Jenny's talent.
"I think mostly she overpowered her," Stanford coach Lele Forood said. "Jenny has so many shots and does so many things well and moves beautifully, but Kristie when she was hitting through the court with her forehand was just too much pace at one point. That's kind of what the pro game is, so she's getting herself ready."

You forgot to mention these other comments in bold

Ok...let's break this down:

So many shots = she was slapping it back over the net

Does so many things well = just being complimentary without being specific enough to be caught in an exaggeration

Moves beautifully = good footwork to allow her to slap the ball back

I do admit that she have an all-court game, charging the net
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #1475
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Didn't Stanford beat Florida 6-1 or something in 2012? To think of it Stanford losing to USC then is even more surprising than 2013 NCAA, you really never know
It was actually 5-2

From Stanford website:
No. 2 Stanford 5, No. 1 Florida 2

DOUBLES
1) No. 1 Burdette/Gibbs d. No. 10 Cercone/Will (FLA) 8-3
2) Tan/Tsay (STAN) d. Embree/Oyen (FLA) 8-3
3) Ahn/Li (STAN) d. Caroline Hitimana/Mather (FLA) 8-6

Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3

SINGLES
1) No. 3 Allie Will (FLA) d. No. 5 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
2) No. 1 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. No. 25 Lauren Embree (FLA) 6-1, 6-2
3) Stacey Tan (STAN) d. No. 4 Joanna Mather (FLA) 7-6 (5), 6-3
4) Kristie Ahn (STAN) d. No. 41 Alex Cercone (FLA) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (4)
5) No. 34 Sofie Oyen (FLA) d. No. 31 Ellen Tsay (STAN) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (1)
6) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Olivia Janowicz (FLA) 6-3, 6-4

Order of Finish: 2, 6, 3, 5, 4, 1

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #1476
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
"I think mostly she overpowered her," Stanford coach Lele Forood said. "Jenny has so many shots and does so many things well and moves beautifully, but Kristie when she was hitting through the court with her forehand was just too much pace at one point. That's kind of what the pro game is, so she's getting herself ready."

You forgot to mention these other comments in bold

Ok...let's break this down:

So many shots = she was slapping it back over the net

Does so many things well = just being complimentary without being specific enough to be caught in an exaggeration

Moves beautifully = good footwork to allow her to slap the ball back

I do admit that she have an all-court game, charging the net
You see, you ARE dismissive of Jenny who has been one of the premier technicians in the league

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #1477
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You see, you ARE dismissive of Jenny who has been one of the premier technicians in the league
She'd probably fit well playing for USC as I am sure she's got a good moonball
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #1478
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
BTW you're making it more of an issue with Jenny as I was just initially generalizing the gap in power between college and the pro's.

In the pro's, it's all about the power game for a long time now, since the Williams sisters arrived to the scene.

Perfect example, US Open, 1st Round, Serena took on Francesca Schiavone, one of the best technicians and grand slam winner.

Power won 6-0, 6-1 (almost double bageled!!!)

Coach Forood knows this and is preparing Ahn to overpower her opponents.

Coach Gallien obviously has a different strategy...moonball...I hope they have luck with that
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #1479
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
She'd probably fit well playing for USC as I am sure she's got a good moonball
Oh I would welcome Jenny with open arms

About your last post, it's irrelevent as your first reply on my op, since this is college forum. That's why I asked you why do you even bother watching college tennis

Oh here's the delightful and improbable upset by 'the moonballers' Trojans

Again, from Stanford website

"NOTES: Consider this: Stanford's loss was only its fourth over the last three years ... The most storied program in women's college tennis, the Cardinal is now 123-16 all-time in the NCAA Tournament ... With 21 victories this year, Stanford has now compiled 877 all-time as a program and could pass the 900-win plateau next year ... Ahn had appeared in three other dual matches, chalking up a 2-1 mark ... Mallory Burdette's loss was her first dual match defeat of the year. Burdette was 19-0 in duals entering Saturday ... USC earned its first NCAA Tournament victory over Stanford since 1983 ... In her final match, senior Veronica Li picked up her 80th career singles victory."

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

No. 4 USC 4, No. 5 Stanford 2

DOUBLES
1) No. 3 Christian/Santamaria (USC) d. No. 2 Burdette/Gibbs (STAN) 8-6
2) No. 24 Tan/Tsay (STAN) d. No. 49 Pulido/Scandalis (USC) 8-5
3) No. 75 Lao/Ramos (USC) d. Ahn/Li (STAN) 8-6

Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3

SINGLES
1) No. 3 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) d. No. 14 Zoe Scandalis (USC) 6-1, 6-4
2) No. 19 Danielle Lao (USC) d. No. 5 Mallory Burdette (STAN) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3) No. 26 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) d. No. 25 Stacey Tan (STAN) 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (5)
4) Kristie Ahn (STAN) vs. No. 89 Kaitlyn Christian (USC) abandoned
5) Gabriella DeSimone (USC) d. No. 74 Ellen Tsay (STAN) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
6) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Valeria Pulido (USC) 6-4, 7-5

Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6, 2, 3

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #1480
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

From USC website

(4) #89 Kaitlyn Christian (USC) vs. Kristie Ahn (STAN) - 4-6, 7-5, 2-1 susp.

I need to find coach Forood's comment on this match so tie can reinterpret it for us

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #1481
country flag tie_breaker

I'll keep it college relevant

Stanford head coach Lele Forood
"It was a marathon match. It's really sweet. We had to really battle through USC. They eliminated us in the tournament last year. They killed us 6-1 at their place a little over a month ago. We were looking for payback. It was a very close match and really, it could have gone either way."

"Absolutely a huge doubles point. For our No. 1 team to beat a team that hasn't lost all year, ranked No. 2 in the country, that was big. We know we have the talent and worked really hard on our tactics and strategies for that match. Nicole and Kristie competed really well. I think getting out to a nice little lead in the tiebreaker helped also."

No. 12 Stanford 4, No. 5 USC 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

DOUBLES
1) No. 8 Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) d. No. 2 Christian/Santamaria (USC) 9-8 (2)
2) Olmos/Scandalis (USC) d. No. 28 Tan/Tsay (USC) 8-6
3) Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) d. DeSimone/Lao (USC) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1

SINGLES
1) No. 13 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) d. No. 2 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) 7-6 (3), 6-2
2) No. 9 Danielle Lao (USC) d. No. 25 Kristie Ahn (STAN) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
3) No. 27 Zoe Scandalis (USC) d. No. 14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4) No. 103 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Giuliana Olmos (USC) 6-2, 6-2
5) No. 92 Ellen Tsay (STAN) d. Gabriella DeSimone (USC) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
6) Kaitlyn Christian (USC) d. Natalie Dillon (STAN) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 3, 2, 5
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1482
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

I can't find coach Forood's interview

And this interview by Gibbs

"
Down 5-1 in my singles match, I wanted to show her I could stick around if I got a chance in the second set."

The title of that post 'Tsay of relief', is it a paraphrase of another phrase? It sounds a bit weird

Didn't coach Forood also mention Gabi being injured or something? Wonderif that happened during the singles match or before that?

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1483
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan View Post
Heard Skylar's headed to UGA.
Thx for the info

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Oct 26th, 2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #1484
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
I'll keep it college relevant

Stanford head coach Lele Forood
"It was a marathon match. It's really sweet. We had to really battle through USC. They eliminated us in the tournament last year. They killed us 6-1 at their place a little over a month ago. We were looking for payback. It was a very close match and really, it could have gone either way."

"Absolutely a huge doubles point. For our No. 1 team to beat a team that hasn't lost all year, ranked No. 2 in the country, that was big. We know we have the talent and worked really hard on our tactics and strategies for that match. Nicole and Kristie competed really well. I think getting out to a nice little lead in the tiebreaker helped also."

No. 12 Stanford 4, No. 5 USC 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

DOUBLES
1) No. 8 Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) d. No. 2 Christian/Santamaria (USC) 9-8 (2)
2) Olmos/Scandalis (USC) d. No. 28 Tan/Tsay (USC) 8-6
3) Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) d. DeSimone/Lao (USC) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1

SINGLES
1) No. 13 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) d. No. 2 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) 7-6 (3), 6-2
2) No. 9 Danielle Lao (USC) d. No. 25 Kristie Ahn (STAN) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
3) No. 27 Zoe Scandalis (USC) d. No. 14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4) No. 103 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Giuliana Olmos (USC) 6-2, 6-2
5) No. 92 Ellen Tsay (STAN) d. Gabriella DeSimone (USC) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
6) Kaitlyn Christian (USC) d. Natalie Dillon (STAN) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 3, 2, 5
Wonder why USC changed the doubles lineup? To beat Tan/Tsay?
Well it worked and we are seeing it bearing fruit this season, but who knew #3 would lose so decisively

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1485
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Heard Kristie may not make the trip to Indoors because she doesn't want to miss school. We'll see, I guess.

tennisbuddy12 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote