Pac 12 - Page 98 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1456
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold
Re: Pac 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post

Denigrating Jenny's win.. NOT TRUE
Kristie Ahn made it look easy out there winning 6-4, 6-2.

She played a clean match hitting the lines, wide angle shots, and occasionally missing a drop shot
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 01:29 AM   #1457
country flag Ianto_Jones

Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future Ianto_Jones has a brilliant future

Who won the doubles in the North West? Or did Stanford decide not to play it and share the title?
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 02:27 AM   #1458
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
I could NOT see the spin of the ball because of the video cam, but all I could see was that the ball was coming back towards the middle of the court and short. Sabs or Gibbsy would have hit a forehand with enough spin to make it go wide left.

For the most part, Jenny was able to get ball back and run it down from side to side and wait for her opponent to make the winner. I saw more unforced errors than winners. That's college tennis.
Well, I beg to differ. You sound like Jenny was mostly passive, which wasn't imo. She just successfully moved Caroline around, actually it was similar to Sabs methodically dismantling Gibbs at Marks Stadium

Surely you've seen Jenny make Caroline look like a prancing pony, endlessly scrambling to reach wicked ball placements all over the court?

Quote:
You probably watch too many USC games and not enough Stanford matches
Should I? After all I live in So. Cal.. Stanford players aren't especially immune to making DFs and sinking overheads, as you well know I do agree that USC plays a different brand of tennis; maybe that's the reason they can't win, dunno. Maybe just they're not in the same calibre in ball striking ability compared to the Cards. Yet, despite their supposedly inferior talent, USC is doing pretty well against the superior Cards, no? Surely you can't deny that? To think of it, what you described as college player's inability also extends to Card players, no? Inability to put away, etc.. Why else Cards recently struggle against USC
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Oct 23rd, 2013 at 06:08 AM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #1459
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto_Jones View Post
Who won the doubles in the North West? Or did Stanford decide not to play it and share the title?
CTO link
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 06:24 AM   #1460
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Why else Cards recently struggle against USC
Yeah, you're right...it's been a dry spell for the Cards to win only 2 titles in the last 7 years.

Stanford has won 17 NCAA championships: 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2013 ..

I am sure USC has had more success, especially after winning the last two Pac-12 titles...
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 06:27 AM   #1461
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto_Jones View Post
Hardware Stays At Home
Courtesy: Stanford Athletics
Release: 10/22/2013

STANFORD, Calif.- Senior Kristie Ahn defeated Jenny Jullien of Saint Mary’s 6-4, 6-2 on Tuesday afternoon to capture the singles title at the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships at Taube Family Tennis Stadium.

Ahn picked up her third career singles crown, having also won the same event as a freshman back in 2010. The Cardinal senior looked sharp throughout the entire tournament, winning all her matches in straight sets while knocking off top-seeded Zsofia Susanyi of California in the semifinals.

It’s the fourth straight year a Stanford player has won the singles title, following Krista Hardebeck (2012) and Nicole Gibbs (2011).

Ahn fell one step short of collecting a second title on the day, joining freshman Carol Zhao in a runner-up finish as freshman Taylor Davidson and junior Ellen Tsay came out on top 8-6 in the all-Stanford doubles final.

Davidson and Tsay also enjoyed a strong tournament run, having surrendered five games or less in every match prior to Tuesday’s final.

Tsay picked up her third doubles title in three years after winning the hardware in back-to-back seasons with Stacey Tan.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #1462
country flag fantic

Quote:
Yeah, you're right...it's been a dry spell for the Cards to win only 2 titles in the last 7 years.

Stanford has won 17 NCAA championships: 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2013 ..

I am sure USC has had more success, especially after winning the last two Pac-12 titles...
Now you sound like form

What happened between 91 & 7?

The Cards Really should've won in 2012...

I wonder when will the Cards win Pac 12 again...
Didn't they win every year until SC came along?
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:32 AM   #1463
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:

I dunno. The 1st year that I started watching Cards tennis was 1998-1999.

Quote:

The Cards Really should've won in 2012...
The same could be said in 2011...

Quote:

I wonder when will the Cards win Pac 12 again...
Didn't they win every year until SC came along?
If you're happy that USC wins Pac-12, I am fine with that as long as Cards wins NCAA
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #1464
country flag fantic

Quote:
I dunno. The 1st year that I started watching Cards tennis was 1998-1999.

The same could be said in 2011...

If you're happy that USC wins Pac-12, I am fine with that as long as Cards wins NCAA
Well, it evens out I guess. Despite their monster recruiting, they should've won 2, in 2011 & 2. Florida was the favorite in 2010 (Boonstra was 2 pts away from the match, even with Allie losing to Lindsay), and this year, you know
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1465
country flag fantic

I appreciate Mal and Gibbs turning pro early not to disturb the 'balance' of the league If other teams can't capitalize on it, it's their problem. Stanford even generously doesn't play Indoors to give other teams precious chance to win
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Oct 24th, 2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 05:20 PM   #1466
country flag fantic

Quote:

Posted on my blog. Truly the Golden Years!
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #1467
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Posted on my blog. Truly the Golden Years!
Golden Years

Wasn't there so didn't witness any of that...

But as far as the Silver Years... I actually followed that online as I moved out of the area in 2006, so although GT took it to the Cards, I wasn't really paying attention too much after watching Amber Liu's matches.
Maybe that's why they lost...I wasn't there to cheer them on

Barte, Gibbsy, Burdette...watched all those matches online
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #1468
country flag fantic

Who's your best Card and college player? Just curious.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #1469
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Link is here

For Kristie Ahn, it's never been a matter of talent on the tennis court.

As a freshman on The Farm, she captured the singles crown at the ITA Northwest Regional Championships. There was a 24-match winning streak from Jan. 6 to May 1 of 2010. But then Ahn sprained her ankle and missed the rest of the season. She played in three matches as a sophomore, suffering a stress fracture on her left foot.

Ahn didn't feel 100 percent until May, when she helped the Cardinal win the NCAA women's tennis title by providing the clinching point in the final.

"It was pretty fitting for that to happen," Ahn said.

The 5-foot-5 senior was in top form Tuesday afternoon at Taube Family Tennis Stadium on the Stanford campus, where Ahn reclaimed her title at the ITA Northwest Regional Championships with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Jenny Jullien of St. Mary's.

"I think as a freshman you don't really appreciate it as much as you do as a senior," said Ahn, who wasn't going to play the tournament until she realized it didn't conflict with her classes. "It's my last time playing an individual tournament at home and there's a lot of emotions going on through me."

In the morning, Ahn teamed up with freshman Carol Zhao as the No. 2 seeds in the doubles bracket. But after dropping six games in their four previous matches, Ahn and Zhao fell in the doubles final 8-6 to another Stanford duo -- Ellen Tsay, a junior who won the doubles portion of the ITA Northwest Regional for a third straight year, and freshman Taylor Davidson.

"It's always harder to play your teammates," Ahn said. "One, because you guys want the best for each other. And, two, because you kind of know each other's games inside and out. And it was frustrating for me because I didn't think I played very well. And I thought they played great. ... I thought they were more aggressive at the net, and that's what made the difference at the end."

Ahn admitted to feeling tight at the beginning of her singles match in the afternoon, but tied 4-all in the first set, a crosscourt winner changed all of that. Mystified by the tight window Ahn was able to fit with her forehand, Jullien screamed out, "Where does she find that angle?"

"I couldn't help but laugh," Ahn said. "I smiled, I turned around to the crowd behind and I was just, 'I don't know.' And I think that helped relax me a little bit."

Ahn managed to win four straight points to break serve, then clinched the first set with a crosscourt backhand just out of reach of Jullien, who could only deflect the shot wide with her frame.

"My backhand used to be my demise in my matches," Ahn said. "But it was nice to feel like I was in control of all the points, regardless of whether it was on the forehand or backhand."

Unable to convert on three break points up love-40 in Game 1 of the second set, Ahn took control by winning the next five games to move ahead 5-1.

"I think mostly she overpowered her," Stanford coach Lele Forood said. "Jenny has so many shots and does so many things well and moves beautifully, but Kristie when she was hitting through the court with her forehand was just too much pace at one point. That's kind of what the pro game is, so she's getting herself ready."

It's the third career singles crown for Ahn, who made a strong case to become Stanford's No. 1 singles player this season.

"It's nice to be healthy," Ahn said. "This is the first season since freshman year starting off with a clean slate, which is nice. And getting to be able to play so many matches in the fall, I think, is encouraging stuff."

Gone from last season's championship team is Nicole Gibbs, who turned pro prior to Wimbledon after winning back-to-back NCAA singles titles.
"Gibbsy, there's very few like her," Ahn said. "Great fighter, great tennis player, obviously a fantastic No. 1 player. But as one player leaves, it also gives other teammates an opportunity to really stand up."

Ahn, Tsay and sophomore Krista Hardebeck have the most experience on the roster, with a trio of freshmen getting their first taste of college tennis in the fall: Davidson, Zhao and Caroline Doyle.

"It will be great to see them grow," Ahn said. "It will be a great combination of somewhat veterans and newcomers. And I think that will mix very well on the courts -- lots of fire, passion."

The doubles pairings of Davidson-Tsay, Ahn-Zhao and Doyle-Hardebeck are unlikely to change when the regular season begins in January.

"This is certainly the way we drew it up with our potential teams, and nothing dissuaded us from what we saw this tournament," Forood said. "We need veterans on every court."

Email Vytas Mazeika at vmazeika@dailynewsgroup.com; follow him at Twitter.com/dailynewsvytas.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #1470
country flag fantic

Thx for showing us a nice article

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
Link is here

For Kristie Ahn, it's never been a matter of talent on the tennis court.
Pretty strong start

Quote:
Ahn admitted to feeling tight at the beginning of her singles match in the afternoon, but tied 4-all in the first set, a crosscourt winner changed all of that. Mystified by the tight window Ahn was able to fit with her forehand, Jullien screamed out, "Where does she find that angle?"

"I couldn't help but laugh," Ahn said. "I smiled, I turned around to the crowd behind and I was just, 'I don't know.' And I think that helped relax me a little bit."
It's called talent

Quote:
"I think mostly she overpowered her," Stanford coach Lele Forood said. "Jenny has so many shots and does so many things well and moves beautifully, but Kristie when she was hitting through the court with her forehand was just too much pace at one point. That's kind of what the pro game is, so she's getting herself ready."
I think that's a pretty fair assessment by the coach. Unlike somebody here, she acknowledges Jenny's talent.

Quote:
The doubles pairings of Davidson-Tsay, Ahn-Zhao and Doyle-Hardebeck are unlikely to change when the regular season begins in January.

"This is certainly the way we drew it up with our potential teams, and nothing dissuaded us from what we saw this tournament," Forood said. "We need veterans on every court."

Email Vytas Mazeika at vmazeika@dailynewsgroup.com; follow him at Twitter.com/dailynewsvytas.
Exactly. Stanford never really changes the doubles lineup.
That last comment by the coach.. (you all know why I'm sobbing
so I won't elaborate)
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles