Pac 12 - Page 88 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1306
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Pac 12

Anyone know if the matches for the USTA Collegiate Team at Carson will be open to the public? I work not too far from there and would love to go catch some of the matches.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #1307
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to share a nice action photo

'Next KK', Zoe Katz

(SGVN/Staff photo by Leo Jarzomb/SPORTS)

http://photos.pasadenastarnews.com/2...lub-irvine/#18
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Jun 17th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1308
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Love that one, fantic. Do you think Zoe will shake up the doubles line-up? Surely KK/Sabs will be going for the double grand slam next year
tucker1989 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #1309
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

dbl grand slam?

Dunno, have no idea how they'll eventually pair up. But the addition of Boren and Katz means USC dbls will be stronger than last season. They'll probably vie with UCLA, as usual

I think those 4 and Gugu and Zoe will be starters for dbls.

Actually USC is quite saturated right now..
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #1310

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

So is there a chance that Nicole Gibbs could return if she doesn't do well during the summer, including at the US Open?

She lost in the first round of qualifying today at Wimbledon.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #1311
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
So is there a chance that Nicole Gibbs could return if she doesn't do well during the summer, including at the US Open?

She lost in the first round of qualifying today at Wimbledon.
That is an interesting question.

I can't see her returning. Tennis or Economics?

I can't speak for Gibbsy but if it was me, playing tennis 10 to 15 years to get to the pro level, I think to give oneself a fair opportunity, it is going to take more than a year, up to 3 years before one can adjust to the pro level and gain the success to be a top player.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
That is an interesting question.

I can't see her returning. Tennis or Economics?

I can't speak for Gibbsy but if it was me, playing tennis 10 to 15 years to get to the pro level, I think to give oneself a fair opportunity, it is going to take more than a year, up to 3 years before one can adjust to the pro level and gain the success to be a top player.
What's one year? She should stay and get her degree. I guess she could always come back after to get it. I hope she does well this summer!
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1313
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
What's one year? She should stay and get her degree. I guess she could always come back after to get it. I hope she does well this summer!
It's really not the one year but the degree basically works against her making it as a pro, because when its time to dig deep into the trenches, the degree pushes one to get a job and not fight to make it as a tennis pro. Although there's no magic formula of when to turn pro. Historically, the best tennis players turn pro at 17 and the later that number becomes, the least likely one will succeed.
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1314
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

Wish Gibbs nothing but good luck on tour. As someone mentioned awhile ago, she has nothing to prove on the college level, as she has done it all.

Interesting how Mallory and Nicole have taken different paths after turning pro. Mal turned pro and then you didn't hear from her for awhile. Assumed she worked heavily on fitness and her game. Nicole, after playing a long NCAA season, dove in head first immediately into the Wimbledon Qualies.

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1315
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Love that one, fantic. Do you think Zoe will shake up the doubles line-up? Surely KK/Sabs will be going for the double grand slam next year
Forgot to add this. At this stage, I think doing well at the TEAM tournaments (preferably advancing to the Final of course; that last hurdle) is infinitely more important than adding a few more individual trophies. After all, they don't have to prove anything anymore.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 03:30 PM   #1316
country flag tie_breaker

Stanford's updated roster:

Name Ht. Yr. Hometown High School
Kristie Ahn 5-5 SR Upper Saddle River, N.J. The Professional Childrens School
Krista Hardebeck 5-7 SO Santa Ana, CA Kaplan Online
Amelia Herring 5-11 SR Carlsbad, CA LaCosta Canyon
Lindsey Kostas 5-5 SO La Jolla, CA La Jolla Country Day
Ellen Tsay 5-10 JR Pleasanton, CA Kaplan Academy

No surprise, no Gibbsy, Tan and Dillon graduating...

Pac-12 should be interesting next year with the top recruiting class joining the Cards next year...This is USC's best shot and UCLA has a good shot too.

Go teammmmmmmm!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 10:57 PM   #1317

Quote:

Pac-12 should be interesting next year with the top recruiting class joining the Cards next year...This is USC's best shot and UCLA has a good shot too.

Go teammmmmmmm!!!
UCLA will win the Pac-12 next year. Just my opinion.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 04:11 AM   #1318
country flag fantic

Quote:

Go teammmmmmmm!!!
What best shot? USC IS the current PAC 12 champion Or do you mean NCAA. USC's aim should be to win the National Team championships, Team Indoors or NCAA(but first, to advance to the final in a generation).
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 05:16 AM   #1319
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Forgot to add this. At this stage, I think doing well at the TEAM tournaments (preferably advancing to the Final of course; that last hurdle) is infinitely more important than adding a few more individual trophies. After all, they don't have to prove anything anymore.
I've mentioned this before, but again, splitting the team wouldn't be such a bad idea.
If you can't win #1, have to split, PLENTY of teams do that to ensure the win.
And as a tennis communist I DO want the 'wealth' to be shared, too.
Both for the team AND for the league.

Let other Trojan share the glory (I DO think Sabs might be the best partner for KK since she's a powerful AND agile grinder, thus able to cover the back court superbly when KK is lurking at the net But big Zoe is also a superb defender, and lil' Zoe is no less a superb attacker at net. Maybe THIS combo might be unbalanced, but curious about this combination, KK/Katz. If they both rush to the net, unless the opponents lob or something, they'll clear the net).

And league-wise, other teams tried ALL season, couldn't beat them, so what's the fun in that (WAATC was actually the best chance to beat them, that tourney boasted better entrants, such as Capra/Mar, BU, Kay/Price, Kyle/Chanelle, etc...) Still don't understand how they lost to the team they beat 8-1 in the regular season; at the MOST important match of the season, no less.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Jun 23rd, 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 05:25 AM   #1320
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
What best shot? USC IS the current PAC 12 champion Or do you mean NCAA. USC's aim should be to win the National Team championships, Team Indoors or NCAA(but first, to advance to the final in a generation).
If it is about the national team championship, I think UCLA can win everything, Pac 12 included.

For example Ray didn't even play both Indoors and NCAA. Imagine her playing lower positions, she has beaten Alexa Guarachi and lost to Sabs in 3 in the Fall last season. You bet she'll be back(link).

And the touted(by me hey I touted Krista and she contributed to STAN's NCAA win) freshman Jen Brady comes in. She can play both #1 sgls and dbls..Krista was a STRONG addition in singles (but who knew she would be NCAA Team #3 dbls team ). Jen will be a STRONG add in BOTH, sgls AND dbls.

UCLA is now chock full of very strong hitters, in terms of firepower NOONE can beat them. And ALL are EXCELLENT dbls players as well.
AND they HAVE been to the final plenty of times, even won it.

Both UCLA teams can win NCAA. Men and Women. When was the last time this happened?
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Jun 23rd, 2013 at 03:44 PM.