Pac 12 - Page 74 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 03:21 AM   #1096
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pac 12

Well, I don't think it's all STAN's 'fault'. Maybe the competition got stronger? Recruiting Embree and Will was surely a slam dunk for UF, more so when they recruited Oyen, Janowicz and Cercone the following year.

Then, UCLA's 'fabulous 4'

And then, USC's version of it

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 04:08 AM   #1097
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona State Women's Tennis Rings Victory Bell in 4-3 Win Over Arizona

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 04:13 AM   #1098
country flag fantic

#22 Arizona State 4 :: #67 Arizona 3
Whiteman Tennis Center
Tempe, Arizona
4/20/13
1:00 p.m. MST

DOUBLES
1. Nicole Smith/Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Lacey Smyth/Shayne Austin (UA) 8-4
2. Leighann Sahagun/Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) def. Kim Stubbe/Akilah James (UA) 8-3
3. Joanna Smith/Hannah James (ASU) def. Susan McRann/Laura Oldham (UA) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1

Quite a result by ASU. S/K elevated to #2 and still winning easily

SINGLES
1. Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Lacey Smyth (UA) 6-3, 6-3

Lacey

2. Kim Stubbe (UA) def. Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) 6-0, 6-3

Desirae Kim is good though

3. Laura Oldham (UA) def. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) 6-3, 6-3

I'm very surprised about Laura. She wasn't that impressive last season..MIP Pac 12 of the year? I hope she'll play Ojai; I'm definitely going to watch her play.

4. Akilah James (UA) def. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Hannah James (ASU) def. Susan McRann (UA) 6-3, 6-3

Susan is a quality player so this is a big win for Hannah.

6. Joanna Smith (ASU) def. Inge Hendrikx (UA) 6-1, 6-1

Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1, 5*, 4, 3

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Apr 21st, 2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 04:25 AM   #1099
country flag fantic

trojans-overwhelm-ucla-clinch-pac-12-title-highlights

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:11 AM   #1100
country flag fantic

WOMEN'S TENNIS STANDINGS
SCHOOLS CONFERENCE OVERALL
USC 9-0 20-2
Stanford 8-1 16-3
California 8-1 14-5
UCLA 7-2 16-4
Arizona St. 5-4 15-5
Utah 4-5 10-8
Washington 3-6 12-9
Washington St. 2-7 13-11
Colorado 2-7 7-12
Arizona 1-8 9-13
Oregon 1-9 12-10

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:35 AM   #1101
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
WOMEN'S TENNIS STANDINGS
SCHOOLS CONFERENCE OVERALL
USC 9-0 20-2
Stanford 8-1 16-3
California 8-1 14-5
UCLA 7-2 16-4
Arizona St. 5-4 15-5
Utah 4-5 10-8
Washington 3-6 12-9
Washington St. 2-7 13-11
Colorado 2-7 7-12
Arizona 1-8 9-13
Oregon 1-9 12-10
You need to update some of those, especially the top 4 teams. I wish UCLA only had 2 losses.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:49 AM   #1102
country flag fantic

Oh I just copied from the Pac 12 website

By the way, NOONE does lobbing better than USC. #3 dbls UCLA at USC. Just watch the end portion when Kyle's lob falls short to become a prey to Gabi's pouncing and the last pt, where Lao's lob induces Kyle's UE And of course, slicing. Sabs mixes those up to great effect. Wonder if those will become a trend..if USC wins it all..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 03:30 AM   #1103
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
I'm not gambling guy but I think Stanford's odds is like 50-1 to win NCAA and 30-1 to make it as a finalist. Most likely no White House visit for the Cardinals, so only 1 trip to DC in past 7 years. I don't think Frank ever had that much of a dry spell during his day at the helm.
You're too harsh on your team

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 05:45 AM   #1104
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You're too harsh on your team
Just being realistic, based on what I've witnessed since '95

Going into NCAA's with 4 losses, Stanford's outcome in 2007-2008 and 2008-2009, includes making it to QF and R16, respectively.

# of losses going into NCAA and winning the Championship:
-0- : 4x (undefeated)
1 : 3x
2 : 1

# of losses going into NCAA and ending up as a Finalist:
-0- : 2x
1 : 2x
2 : None

# of losses going into NCAA and ending up as a SF:
-0- : None
1 : 2x
2 : None
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 11:10 PM   #1105
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Happen to be out where a television is on showing the Pac-12 network. Currently, they are showing a Washington vs Washington State Rivalry match. Ysodora vs. Vasieva, early in the first set.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 04:36 AM   #1106
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

A lot of talk re: Stanford, so I thought I'd chime in. Sometimes I think Stanford should have it's own thread...Hhahah!

I've been attending matches at the Farm for about 10 years, but have only been following them a little more closely the last couple of years since I discovered this College Section of the Tennis Forum. Back then, I never really knew this part existed and just read and posted on the GM Board - about pro tennis of course. It's kinda funny, I never post on the GM board now. And I only read it during the Slams.

Like Tie Breaker, I too feel last couple of years for the Card have been both disappointing and heartbreaking.

2011: What a line up: Barte, Burdette, Gibbs, Ahn, Tan, Li & McVeigh. Spots 1 - 4 were as good as it gets. 5-6 weren't exactly dominating, but solid none the less.

I was looking forward to Back to Back NCAA Championships that year. However that was not to be.

That finals match, there was so much pressure on Mal to win b/c everyone in the venue moved over to the main stadium to see her clinch the title. Pressure and fatigue took its toll that evening. (Check out this image I shot that night and read the caption I wrote back then: http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/134998046 ) Could of been a different story if K Ahn was healthy - a story that would continue into 2012. Huge hit for the team.

2012: They lost Barte to graduation and I think there was a void in the leadership department. Not that Gibbs/Ahn/Burdette weren't good leaders, I think Barte took it to another level. Probably my fave Card player of all time.

But the Card were out for revenge that year. I think their goal was to take back what they thought was theirs. I remember when UF came out for that regular season match...I had never seen the team so pumped up before. (Check this image: http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/141481232 and look how high Mal is jumping ). Unfortunately, the tennis gods were not smiling upon poor Kristie's health again that season. I remember looking on the internet during the NCAA championships...is she playing? Yes she is. No she's not. The team wasn't as deep as the year before and that made it even more difficult.

2013: Gibbs, Burdette, Ahn, Hardebeck, Tan & Tsay. As good or even better line up than 2011? We will never know.

I blame Fantic for my heightened expectations this year. He was pumping up Hardebeck so much before the season, I thought she was the second coming of Steffi Graf or something.

And then the US Open. Happy for Mal - she made the right choice and is doing great. Saw her play down in Indian Wells in March and couldn't believe what great shape she was in. Took Kirilenko to 3 sets, and if I remember correctly, Kirilenko took 2 bathroom breaks to break up the rhythm of the match. Kirilenko then went on to have a really good tournament, reaching the semis. Also, again there was a leadership void w/ Mal leaving. Top Senior Stacey Tan isn't very vocal/emotional. And Gibbs - sure she is a great player, and the returning NCAA Champ. But all the talk of her aspirations to turn pro had to be a little bit of a distraction.

In Mal's absence, senior Nat Dillon cracked the starting line up. She confuses me - she's got game, especially for the 6 slot. However, it seems as though she makes things difficult for herself and every match is a struggle. And then there's Stacey Tan. As Tie Breaker mentioned, at No. 4, she should be destroying every opponent. At least that is what I expected. I wrote earlier this season on my thoughts on why her season has been up and down, so I won't bother to rehash it.

Will they visit the White House this season? Probably not, but I can always hope.

And next year? Who knows, but I think to stay competitive, every class needs two quality incoming freshmen like: Liu/Barnes, Logar/Yelsey, Burdette/Tan.

Sorry for the long post but I look forward to the post season! Go Card!

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 06:53 AM   #1107
country flag fantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by urklerlay View Post
A lot of talk re: Stanford, so I thought I'd chime in. Sometimes I think Stanford should have it's own thread...Hhahah!

Quote:

2013: Gibbs, Burdette, Ahn, Hardebeck, Tan & Tsay. As good or even better line up than 2011? We will never know.

I blame Fantic for my heightened expectations this year. He was pumping up Hardebeck so much before the season, I thought she was the second coming of Steffi Graf or something.
Don't try to blame me, Krista was THAT good. She almost won the Q 1st round against Mathilda Johansson, and she beat Robin Anderson SO QUICKLY at the National. She didn't even need many balls to win a point, from what I glimpsed. At the semi, she was so easily attacking Gibbsy's serve and led 5-0 in the 3rd..
By the way she swept ISC and EB on her sophomore year methink. Only Oudin and Hibi accomplished that feat.

Quote:
And then the US Open. Happy for Mal - she made the right choice and is doing great. Saw her play down in Indian Wells in March and couldn't believe what great shape she was in. Took Kirilenko to 3 sets, and if I remember correctly, Kirilenko took 2 bathroom breaks to break up the rhythm of the match. Kirilenko then went on to have a really good tournament, reaching the semis.
What you CAME to IW? Were you with Lindsay? She materialized before me after the match (wonder why I can't comment on her post at FB.. ) AND you didn't even say hi to me

Quote:

And next year? Who knows, but I think to stay competitive, every class needs two quality incoming freshmen like: Liu/Barnes, Logar/Yelsey, Burdette/Tan.
Davidson and Doyle ARE quality players. For example Taylor beat Kyle at the Team National last July and was competitive against Kiick at the National.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 07:29 AM   #1108
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Don't try to blame me, Krista was THAT good. She almost won the Q 1st round against Mathilda Johansson, and she beat Robin Anderson SO QUICKLY at the National. She didn't even need many balls to win a point, from what I glimpsed. At the semi, she was so easily attacking Gibbsy's serve and led 5-0 in the 3rd..
By the way she swept ISC and EB on her sophomore year methink. Only Oudin and Hibi accomplished that feat.
I do blame you! You were already crowning Stanford as NCAA Champs months before the season even began. I figured, "Who knows more about W College tennis than Fantic? Nobody!"

Quote:
What you CAME to IW? Were you with Lindsay? She materialized before me after the match (wonder why I can't comment on her post at FB.. ) AND you didn't even say hi to me
Don't be sad! I didn't see that thread of who was going to be at IW til after I got back. I watched this match longer than any other match that first weekend. Mal put up a good fight...very impressed w/ her progress.

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #1109
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by urklerlay View Post

I've been attending matches at the Farm for about 10 years, but have only been following them a little more closely the last couple of years since I discovered this College Section of the Tennis Forum. Back then, I never really knew this part existed and just read and posted on the GM Board - about pro tennis of course. It's kinda funny, I never post on the GM board now. And I only read it during the Slams.

Like Tie Breaker, I too feel last couple of years for the Card have been both disappointing and heartbreaking.

2011: What a line up: Barte, Burdette, Gibbs, Ahn, Tan, Li & McVeigh. Spots 1 - 4 were as good as it gets. 5-6 weren't exactly dominating, but solid none the less.

I was looking forward to Back to Back NCAA Championships that year. However that was not to be.

That finals match, there was so much pressure on Mal to win b/c everyone in the venue moved over to the main stadium to see her clinch the title. Pressure and fatigue took its toll that evening. (Check out this image I shot that night and read the caption I wrote back then: http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/134998046 ) Could of been a different story if K Ahn was healthy - a story that would continue into 2012. Huge hit for the team.

2012: They lost Barte to graduation and I think there was a void in the leadership department. Not that Gibbs/Ahn/Burdette weren't good leaders, I think Barte took it to another level. Probably my fave Card player of all time.

But the Card were out for revenge that year. I think their goal was to take back what they thought was theirs. I remember when UF came out for that regular season match...I had never seen the team so pumped up before. (Check this image: http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/image/141481232 and look how high Mal is jumping ). Unfortunately, the tennis gods were not smiling upon poor Kristie's health again that season. I remember looking on the internet during the NCAA championships...is she playing? Yes she is. No she's not. The team wasn't as deep as the year before and that made it even more difficult.

And then the US Open. Happy for Mal - she made the right choice and is doing great. Saw her play down in Indian Wells in March and couldn't believe what great shape she was in. Took Kirilenko to 3 sets, and if I remember correctly, Kirilenko took 2 bathroom breaks to break up the rhythm of the match. Kirilenko then went on to have a really good tournament, reaching the semis. Also, again there was a leadership void w/ Mal leaving. Top Senior Stacey Tan isn't very vocal/emotional. And Gibbs - sure she is a great player, and the returning NCAA Champ. But all the talk of her aspirations to turn pro had to be a little bit of a distraction.

In Mal's absence, senior Nat Dillon cracked the starting line up. She confuses me - she's got game, especially for the 6 slot. However, it seems as though she makes things difficult for herself and every match is a struggle. And then there's Stacey Tan. As Tie Breaker mentioned, at No. 4, she should be destroying every opponent. At least that is what I expected. I wrote earlier this season on my thoughts on why her season has been up and down, so I won't bother to rehash it.

Will they visit the White House this season? Probably not, but I can always hope.

Sorry for the long post but I look forward to the post season! Go Card!
I think you brought out a very good point about the leadership and with Gibbsy playing on the pro circuit, not only during the summer but even during the regular season, missing 1 or 2 matches in the process. I didn't feel the team was a very cohesive group but haven't attend any recent matches so I wasn't so sure. When I did attend matches and especially during the winning streak at home, I remember how close some of the matches were and could of gone either way, but the team was always able to rally back and there was alot of support from fans and TEAMMATES. I think this support and leadership is the difference in coming back down a set or battling in a tie-breaker.

Another component that Fantic touched on slightly is that Stanford has been so dominant so long that teams like USC and UCLA, now equipped with better players are reminded how Stanford has owned them for so many years. That adds fuel to the fire, especially when players the Lao remember how disappointing her first two seasons were against Stanford.

Finally, it's a team sport. As much as we like to see an all-star line-up filled with players, who are have the potential to turn pro (like Mal, Gibbsy, Krista, etc.), what wins championships are key role players that are their 100% for the team and have no or very little aspirations to turning pro. When Stanford won 5 championships in 6 years, those key role players were Kalvaria, Lastra, Barnikow, Tokuda, Barnes, Erin Burdette, Logar, Deason, and Yelsey. I see the same with UF, who has/had Mather, Cercone, Oyen, Janowicz, Morgan and now Collins (no disrespect to Embree and Will).

Although I am disappointed especially when an all-star line-up, dissipates (Ahn's injury and Mal turning pro), I have to respect that USC has a better team and UCLA has alot of potential when healthy.

Last edited by tie_breaker : Apr 23rd, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 03:52 PM   #1110
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post

Finally, it's a team sport. As much as we like to see an all-star line-up filled with players, who are have the potential to turn pro (like Mal, Gibbsy, Krista, etc.), what wins championships are key role players that are their 100% for the team and have no or very little aspirations to turning pro.
No, the evidence for this connection is not there. Mallory is the player who gave the most to the team,. Mallory was the proverbial player who gave 110%. She clinched the NCAA when she was giving all for the team, and when she didn't, the pro aspiration were not what caused the loss.

I expect we will see more pro aspiring players starting college, and going pro before the 4 years. It may cause some setback when a player leaves early to keep a winning rooster, but Mallory gave more than anyone to the team and Gibbs has also contributed very, very much. To win NCAA's today, a college coach needs players who have the aspiration to go pro.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote