Pac 12 - Page 15 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM   #211
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pac 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
Yup, too soon, But the dedication is impressive.
Why too soon, I thought KK/Sabs are going to win NCAA anyway

It's not dedication, it's just idle conjecturing

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : May 3rd, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:31 PM   #212
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Because we gotta save those speculations till the slow time after the NCAA's are over.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM   #213
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm already bored now Team Quarterfinals and semi are PAC 12 matches anyway

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #214
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

The new NCAA rule 'allowing' committee to avoid any teams from same conference to avoid each other until 3rd Rd (round of 16) is the most unfair and inequitable move ever. This new 'policy' was quietly implemented over the 2011 summer and announced in the middle of a memo on all sorts of things.

Talk about governance at it's best.

So the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC and SEC are all over the country... while all other schools - including Notre Dame - are now forever pidgeoned into sites within 400 miles.

And yes, that then creates your 'Boredom' because the NCAA has created this inequal disaster that functionally destroys a pure draw. Money talks and the NCAA is BULLSH*T.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #215
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Form, can you give a more complete expplanation? First that I heard of this, and Im thinkinging its strange that all four toP PAC12 teams would battle each other if the draw holdds true. Are they related?
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM   #216
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
The new NCAA rule 'allowing' committee to avoid any teams from same conference to avoid each other until 3rd Rd (round of 16) is the most unfair and inequitable move ever. This new 'policy' was quietly implemented over the 2011 summer and announced in the middle of a memo on all sorts of things.

Talk about governance at it's best.

So the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC and SEC are all over the country... while all other schools - including Notre Dame - are now forever pidgeoned into sites within 400 miles.

And yes, that then creates your 'Boredom' because the NCAA has created this inequal disaster that functionally destroys a pure draw. Money talks and the NCAA is BULLSH*T.
if only they would've included BIG WEST

- Woodrow Wilson
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:39 PM   #217
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
Form, can you give a more complete expplanation? First that I heard of this, and Im thinkinging its strange that all four toP PAC12 teams would battle each other if the draw holdds true. Are they related?
Rule up through 2011

64 teams seed in 16 groups of 4....

# 1 - 1's typically host unless facility inadequate or some other odd ball reason
2's, 3's and 4's to be assigned
# 2 - No teams from the same conference could see each other in the FIRST ROUND
# 3 - Since 9/11 under guise of safety (errr, less expense to schools and NCAA)... seed teams with 400 miles of regional sites... so pure seeding thrown out and you did best you could to seed within the 400.
# 4 - Now you travel the other teams that don't fit in your 400 mile window (or, with five 3's and four hosts in the CA/ASU region, some 3' will travel). As you assign the 'travelers' you attempt to maintain as best possible the purity of the draw (strong 1, weak 2, strong 3, weak 4).

In this type of draw....
# 1 UCLA, # 32 Arkansas, # 35 ASU and unranked four seed E. Kentucky would be the correct draw per the rules through 2011. ASU would have been assigned to UCLA as the strongest local # 3 within 400 miles of UCLA.

NEW WRINKLE
The NCAA has decided to give committee's the OPTION (which tennis took) to set up draws prioritizing that no two teams from the same conference would meet in the first two rounds. Then then throw in the 400 mile travel rule.

What this does is assure that 'essentially' all the SEC, ACC, Pac12, Big10 and Big12 school are either hosting or travelling.

Last year USC was at Cal where they met in the 2nd round. It was a more proper seeding within the 400 mile rule. Two years prior to that ASU has been a UCLA for 2nd round match ups. Washington has been to UCLA, USC and Stanford in recent years.

NEW IN 2012:
Now, no schools from the same conference can be second round match ups. As of this year.

So for a conference like the Pac, Big 12 or Big 10 ... with lots of schools with overlapping 400 mile radius', they are assured of not being assigned to Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, NW, Illinois, Texas, A&M, Baylor, TTech... even if they are # 2 or # 3 seeds that would more 'properly' seed at one of those sights for a fair bracket. No no no!

What that does then force is that Pepperdine, LB, St. Mary's, USD, Sac State, Fresno State, UCI (under this brand new rule)... North Texas, SMU, TCU.... Notre Dame, UIC... who don't belong to the BCS schools with host programs annually... these schools will always be stuck within the 400 mile radius even if less deserving programs from nearby BCS schools get to travel.

ND will always be at NW, Michigan or Illinois unless they host. LB will always be at USC, UCLA or Stanford. Pepp will always be at USC, UCLA, Stanford or Cal. or I suppose LB/Pepp could go to ASU if they were to host.

Even more ironic is this 'horrible' possibility that two teams from the same conference were having to see each other in round 2. Whaaaaaaaaaa. Given the crappy 400 mile rule, LB and Pepperdine.. who play each other ever year... have played each other in the NCAA FIRST ROUND three times in 7 seasons. Where's the bitching about that?

This new rule blows up fair bracketing

PLUS grants the BCS athletes annual road trips while the mid-major bottom feeders get to play close to home because their conference does not have multiple entries to 'c*ck block' local assignment.

AND puts those multi-entry BCS leagues in a great spot to control the entire 16 team Championship field at Athens. Since they can't knock each other off... it is very LIKELY that all 16 teams will be from those leagues. Locks them in... I realize they are the top 16 anyway.. but now they don't even have to play elite 2 seeds.

Thus, my bitch. It is inequitable seeding

And it is inequitable travel.. which sucks since these mid major kids (Pepp, LB and UIll Chicago in particular) always play close to home... AGAINST THE SAME KIDS THEY ALREADY PLAY IN THE FALL, AT PLACES THEY ALREADY GO, and some years agains teams they've just played in non-conference.

All so the BCS schools don't have to see each other until the Championships.

Last recap:
The 400 mile already sucked.. this new wrinkle assures some schools they always travel and the mid majors located anywhere near a BCS power that they will never see a different experience.

The NCAA talks about the 'experience' but it's only for a select few. The mid-majors are just bracket fillers.

Example: # 34 ASU and # 35 Pepperdine... both would be stuck in the 400 mile window but ASU would be seeded against an 'easier' two seed (Arkansas) and a tougher one seed within 400 miles (UCLA this year). LB, being a weaker 3 than ASU, would see a tougher two and a weaker # 1 seed (could be either USC or Stanford).
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #218
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Ventura County Star's Ojai final recap

" "I have an amazing doubles partner. I think she is the best doubles player in the country, and I am really thankful to have her by my side," said Santamaria, sporting gold glitter around her eyes. "

- Woodrow Wilson
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #219
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Rule up through 2011

ND will always be at NW, Michigan or Illinois unless they host. LB will always be at USC, UCLA or Stanford. Pepp will always be at USC, UCLA, Stanford or Cal. or I suppose LB/Pepp could go to ASU if they were to host.

Even more ironic is this 'horrible' possibility that two teams from the same conference were having to see each other in round 2. Whaaaaaaaaaa. Given the crappy 400 mile rule, LB and Pepperdine.. who play each other ever year... have played each other in the NCAA FIRST ROUND three times in 7 seasons. Where's the bitching about that?

This new rule blows up fair bracketing

PLUS grants the BCS athletes annual road trips while the mid-major bottom feeders get to play close to home because their conference does not have multiple entries to 'c*ck block' local assignment.

AND puts those multi-entry BCS leagues in a great spot to control the entire 16 team Championship field at Athens. Since they can't knock each other off... it is very LIKELY that all 16 teams will be from those leagues. Locks them in... I realize they are the top 16 anyway.. but now they don't even have to play elite 2 seeds.

Thus, my bitch. It is inequitable seeding

And it is inequitable travel.. which sucks since these mid major kids (Pepp, LB and UIll Chicago in particular) always play close to home... AGAINST THE SAME KIDS THEY ALREADY PLAY IN THE FALL, AT PLACES THEY ALREADY GO, and some years agains teams they've just played in non-conference.
A lot of explanation below, but my basic point is that this new rule does not "Blow up fair bracketing." Fair bracketing got blown up in 2001 with the 400 mile rule, and while it doesn't solve every problem or help the committee give every student-athlete a true NCAA tournament experience (how exciting is it to take a bus from UIC to Northwestern, lose quickly and then go home), it does create a little more flexibility for the Committee than it had when the 400 mile rule was the only criteria for placing teams!

The longer explanation:

You make a very interesting point about how the new rule about schools from the same conference not playing in the first two rounds will force a small number of #2 seed and #3 seed mid-majors to have even less of a chance of traveling. By your example, Pepperdine, St. Mary's or Long Beach State might never travel when they might have had the opportunity to travel once in five years (based on your analysis of four hosts and five #3 seeds in the West since they don't have a host school in their conference).

That said, I disagree with the premise that the addition of this rule makes the draw less accurate. The 400 mile rule put in 10 years ago pretty much destroyed the fair draw, and you've had a lot of situations where a top 5 team had to host a top 20 team as a #2 seed or a 13-16 seed didn't have to play against a team in the top 20. That was where the 400 mile rule really killed teams because the chance of a team in the 17-25 range beating a top 5 team is very small, but those teams #17-#25 really want their shot at #14, #15 and #16.

Given that the NCAA doesn't pay for first and second round travel in tennis even though they do in most team sports, the coaches have been begging for an exactly fair bracket, but the NCAA was/is never going to listen and give up their 400 mile rule at this point. By creating a rule that separates schools in the same conference for two rounds, it gave the committee much greater flexibility than it had when THE ONLY CRITERIA THEY COULD CONSIDER WAS THE 400 MILE RULE AND 1-16/17-32/33-48/49-64 BRACKETING. ANY RULE THAT CREATES A CRITERIA OTHER THAN GEOGRAPHY IS AN IMPROVEMENT.

Form - as you do a great job of pointing out, the new rule doesn't solve every problem, and you are still going to see some of the same 2, 3 and 4 seeds going to the same sites over and over again. But under the new rule, you won't see as many #2, #3 and #4 seeds going to the same site over and over again. The bracket should be a slight improvement over what was in place before because it will allow the committee to come closer to a true bracket, e.g. #1 hosts a team from #29-#32, a team from #33-#36 and a team from #61-#64.
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #220
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

from USC website;

"Overall, this year's NCAA agenda marks USC's 30th appearance all-time, as the Trojans enter their 2012 campaign with a 59-28 all-time record in NCAA Tournament play. USC has won seven national championships in all, including NCAA champion titles in 1983 and 1985 after the NCAA began its women's tennis championships in 1982.
The last time USC entered the NCAA Tournament as a top-five seed was in 2006, when the then-second-ranked Women of Troy picked up the No. 3 seed into the 2006 tourney. USC would advance to the NCAA Semifinals that year, falling to Miami 4-1 in a rain-interrupted semifinal clash in Palo Alto that left USC with a 21-4 overall finish."

- Woodrow Wilson
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #221
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

Here is a nice newspaper article from the SF Examiner on Natalie Dillion, who has played No. 6 for the Card most of the season.

Former St. Ignatius athlete set to play in first NCAA tourney with Stanford
By: Paul Gackle | 05/07/12 10:34 PM
Special to The SF Examiner

STANFORD — As a freshman walk-on, Natalie Dillon watched the Stanford women’s tennis team win a national championship from the bench. Now, the St. Ignatius graduate is making unexpected contributions to a Cardinal squad that’s looking to make another run at an NCAA title.

Dillon will get her first taste of NCAA tournament play Friday when the fourth-seeded Cardinal square off against Stony Brook in the opening round at Stanford’s Taube Tennis Center. The junior was thrust into the starting lineup earlier this year after All-American Kristie Ahn’s ankle injury refused to heal — and she seized the opportunity.

“We certainly would not have tied for the conference title without Natalie’s contributions,” Cardinal coach Lele Forood said.

Dillon received scholarship offers from New Mexico, Santa Clara and Denver after a dazzling high school career at St. Ignatius that was capped off with a West Catholic Athletic League Player of the Year award in 2008. But Dillon had dreamed of going to Stanford since she was a first grader, so she decided to take a chance as a walk-on.

“To me, Stanford always represented the best of both worlds — elite academics and athletics,” Dillon said.
She didn’t see the court too often as a freshman, though; the scholarship players at Stanford were competing at a much higher level, but Dillon took it as opportunity to get better.

“I wanted to be the best player I could be, so that I could provide the best practice and warmups for my teammates — that was definitely the role I took,” she said.

As a sophomore, Dillon saw more action, posting a 6-6 singles record, while capturing the Pac-10 Championships Invitational doubles title with teammate Mallory Burdette. By the end of the year, she was offered a scholarship.
But her trajectory from walk-on to starter wasn’t completed until she returned from a quarter in Madrid last winter.

“I definitely felt like I was thrown in there,” she said. “But I just took it one day at a time.”

Despite being overmatched most days, she scrapped together a 7-7 record in duals competition, inspiring teammates with her tenacious play.

Craig Law, Dillon’s high school coach, said her internal motivation — on the court and inside the classroom — sets her apart from any other player he’s ever coached.

“Every athlete gets called a hard worker — but this girl’s really the hardest worker I’ve ever seen,” Law said.
Dillon said winning a national championship this year would be the perfect exclamation point to her improbable journey.

“I don’t even have the words to explain how excited I am,” she said. “But it’s the same thing — I’m going to take each match one at a time.”

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/col...urney-stanford

Follow me on Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #222
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Natalie used to be such a nice girl
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #223
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

"used to be"? lol! You will have more insight on that than me!

All I will say is sometimes she can be a bit...uhm...demonstrative after winning a point. And emotion is one of the things I enjoy most about college tennis. However, it sure helps when you have the game to back it up.

Follow me on Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #224
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute

“We certainly would not have tied for the conference title without Natalie’s contributions,” Cardinal coach Lele Forood said.

Yeah, you probably would have won without Natalie.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #225
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by urklerlay View Post
"used to be"? lol! You will have more insight on that than me!

All I will say is sometimes she can be a bit...uhm...demonstrative after winning a point. And emotion is one of the things I enjoy most about college tennis. However, it sure helps when you have the game to back it up.
I absolutely loathe the guttural and incessant "emotions" girls are showing out there. They look ridiculous. Bitches need to calm down.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote